Gareth Bale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Osophy

This guy hasn't been interested in football for a long time now. He was dispensable for Zidane and prefered to sit and collect his wages to play golf in Madrid relaxedly, instead of trying to move elsewhere to keep himself active in elite competition. There's many wrong things with this guy, including permanent injuries and outrageous wages as well, without even being half the player he was some years ago. We are a joke if we're seriously interested, even if it was on loan. A loss of money and time.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This guy hasn't been interested in football for a long time now. He was dispensable for Zidane and prefered to sit and collect his wages to play golf in Madrid relaxedly, instead of trying to move elsewhere to keep himself active in elite competition. There's many wrong things with this guy, including permanent injuries and outrageous wages as well, without even being half the player he was some years ago. We are a joke if we're seriously interested, even on loan.
Whilst none of this is incorrect - it is possible for people to be completely unmotivated in a job, then move to a new place of work and become completely re-invigorated.

Happens to lots of people in everyday life. True it feels worse for Bale because he's doing something that any of us would give our right arm to do (not withstanding how that would actually limit our ability to do the actual job) but for him it is still a place of work.

This guy hasn't been interested in football for a long time now. He was dispensable for Zidane and prefered to sit and collect his wages to play golf in Madrid relaxedly, instead of trying to move elsewhere to keep himself active in elite competition. There's many wrong things with this guy, including permanent injuries and outrageous wages as well, without even being half the player he was some years ago. We are a joke if we're seriously interested, even if it was on loan. A loss of money and time.
He did try and move. He was almost on the plane last summer. He’s not blame free in all of this, but Real have clearly not helped by wanting a big fee or him, and then when they agree to let him go, they change their minds.

Real have mismanaged this situation. Although it’s a lesson to all big clubs, that massing long term contract to those in the late 20’s is a big risk.

Rajat Jain

I have no issue with this. We're clearly not going to do a sanchez and give him a 5 year contract on double the wages of the rest of the squad.

A loan deal where the wages we're paying fit into our wage structure and there's no obligation to buy is low risk. At worst he's a crock and plays golf all year. He could on the other hand recapture his old form, or provide much better quality off the bench than anyone else.

That he might need to play sparingly to manage injuries is actually good that there's still plenty of games for Greenwood.

On the subject of loan wages, by all accounts we're paying a Ighalo a big packet given he's on silly money in China, which no one is bothered about.
Yeah that's what I also mentioned earlier, folks not getting the fact that this is not a high risk deal, and better than getting someone in on permanent transfer and if they don't perform, pay them for another 5 years. Just get him in! It's a no brainer.

drmuji

Exactly. He’s a castoff for a reason. It isn’t like its hard to get along with your boss: do what he says. That Bale refuses to do so and instead prefers to act like a petulant child speaks volumes about him. One of the best things Ole brought was a pride and desire to be part of a team United. Don’t let a player, no matter how good, interfere with that.
Exactly. Well put

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Absolutely baffles me to see so many who have preached about the change in culture/approach of the club are so onboard with this signing. I'll be gutted if we sign him.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This guy hasn't been interested in football for a long time now. He was dispensable for Zidane and prefered to sit and collect his wages to play golf in Madrid relaxedly, instead of trying to move elsewhere to keep himself active in elite competition. There's many wrong things with this guy, including permanent injuries and outrageous wages as well, without even being half the player he was some years ago. We are a joke if we're seriously interested, even on loan.
Signing the likes of Gareth Bale on loan - an experienced world-class footballer who's performed at every level of the game - is a risk-free punt that doesn't come around all too often.

Working alongside a young, talented, hungry frontline such as Martial, Rashford and Greenwood, along with a move back to England could be just the spark he needs to reinvigorate himself. We would be foolish to ignore this opportunity.

AaronRedDevil

Absolutely baffles me to see so many who have preached about the change in culture/approach of the club are so onboard with this signing. I'll be gutted if we sign him.
It’s only a bloody loan. Don’t know why people are getting so worked up over it. We need a fecking right winger. Bale is it. After the season no one will care. Right back to the Sancho crap for 150m next summer.

croadyman

It’s only a bloody loan. Don’t know why people are getting so worked up over it. We need a fecking right winger. Bale is it. After the season no one will care. Right back to the Sancho crap for 150m next summer.
Yeah I can't understand it either

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Exactly.

We loaned Falcao for a season and he was feckin' crap... so then he left and that was that. Didn't exactly leave the club reeling or anything.

Plus at least with Bale, if he's crap, we still have Mason to play instead

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Signing the likes of Gareth Bale on loan - an experienced world-class footballer who's performed at every level of the game - is a risk-free punt that doesn't come around all too often.

Working alongside a young, talented, hungry frontline such as Martial, Rashford and Greenwood, along with a move back to England could be just the spark he needs to reinvigorate himself. We would be foolish to ignore this opportunity.
People just don't get it. Yes, if there are better options I would take it but we don't.

Other options are Perisic or Coutinho who are not right wingers anyway.

Phil Osophy

Whilst none of this is incorrect - it is possible for people to be completely unmotivated in a job, then move to a new place of work and become completely re-invigorated.

Happens to lots of people in everyday life. True it feels worse for Bale because he's doing something that any of us would give our right arm to do (not withstanding how that would actually limit our ability to do the actual job) but for him it is still a place of work.
It could be, but motivation won't save him from spending weeks (if not months) injured on the stands as it always happens. There seems to be another problem with this man, as he's (apparently) so intolerant with pain, so he refuses to be on the field as soon as he feels the slightlest thing, probably afraid of getting broken again.

A player who wasn't comfortable playing on the right according to himself, and that was when he was a speed machine. Nowadays without that energy and acceleration he's not even 50 % of the player we all knew. Adding also that switching on again at the top competition after so much time disconnected is not that easy. We can't expect a player in these conditions to fill the hole even if it was for one season.

Bale at the moment would be a bet with many question marks. We need assurances to keep moving forward and he can't offer them in any sense.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He can play lwf, cf, RWF
Flexibility is key if we have an injury to any of our current front 3 as the drop off in quality after those is too large
Rashford underperforming or injured? Bale goes left
Greenwood needs a rest? Bale goes right

A loan is a win win for me
IF we can’t get sancho
I just chuckled reading this post. You talking about injuries and assuming Bale won't be the one injured is hilarious :lol:

Bale would most likely long be in the physio room next to Jones before any of the other 3 succumb to injury therefore rendering your scenarios unlikely. :lol:

RonaldoVII

At worst, he turns out to be like Falcao, and Greenwood and co get to learn a little bit from him in training. Don't see many downsides to a loan. Our other options are probably Douglas Costa, who's equally injury prone and not so good and Perisic, who isn't really a RW.
I can think of 300,000 downsides a week. We've just got rid of Sanchez on obscene wages for a past it player, why make the same mistake with Bale?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
If we go for him, it'll be one of the few times that all of the transfer leverage would be ours, as Real need shot of him badly. So, we should be able to get him on very favourable terms. And yet, with everything weighted in our favour, I'd still back us to somehow feck it up and get a poor deal.

starman

I want Sancho like the next person, but am also fascinated by what Bale could do with a change of scenery and comes back to the PL, that i wouldn't mind waiting a year for it to happen if we get Bale on loan (if terms are favourable).
Getting Sancho as well in January is also a possiblity if Dortmund begin to sweat on the price with no matchday revenue coming in.
Igahlo would also leave in Jan and Bale can than double up as a striker, so there is a scenario where we could have both at the same time.

The whole golf thing and making him out to be a diva is beyond embarrassing, drummed up by the Spanish press and latched onto by easily manipulated people.

Moving to Span and not really learning the language and integrating is problematic if other European clubs wanted to sign him, but how is it one if he comes back to England? Did he have history of this at Spurs or when he joins up with Wales? No, so why do people keep peddling on with this nonsense? :rolleyes: :confused:

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

He isn’t just going to rediscover his explosive acceleration and power. That’s gone. He’s a desperate last minute Ighalo type option for the right wing, absolutely not what we need at all. He’s the total opposite of Sancho and would be yet another example of everything we did wrong before getting into this mess. We’re looking at the name rather than how they’d fit into the system.

For everyone saying it’s just a loan, it stops us bringing in the right player now. Let’s say we add Bale and I’ll be optimistic and say we also add a lb.That means next summer to challenge for something we would still need a starting RW, CB, DM and a FAR better option than Ighalo up top. There’s absolutely no chance we’re doing that in one summer, and people on here will justify it and say how you can’t possibly expect all that in one window so it’ll be 2 years before we actually have a squad capable of challenging. Our first choice right winger is available now and wants to come. Go and sodding get him.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I can think of 300,000 downsides a week. We've just got rid of Sanchez on obscene wages for a past it player, why make the same mistake with Bale?
Firstly, this will just be a loan so we have the option of pulling the plug on it after a year. Secondly, I'd rather have an expensive option for RW for a year, than have no option at all.

Every transfer is different. Just because Sanchez didn't work, doesn't mean Bale won't. It's like people who say beware of buying Dortmund players because Kagawa and Mkhi flopped. Every transfer should be judged on its own merits, rather than trying to find parallels with past transfers.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I want Sancho like the next person, but am also fascinated by what Bale could do with a change of scenery and comes back to the PL, that i wouldn't mind waiting a year for it to happen if we get Bale on loan (if terms are favourable).
Getting Sancho as well in January is also a possiblity if Dortmund begin to sweat on the price with no matchday revenue coming in.
Igahlo would also leave in Jan and Bale can than double up as a striker, so there is a scenario where we could have both at the same time.

The whole golf thing and making him out to be a diva is beyond embarrassing, drummed up by the Spanish press and easily manipulated people are hooked onto it.

Moving to Span and not really learning the language and integrating is problematic if other European clubs wanted to sign him, but how is it one if he comes back to England? Did he have history of this at Spurs or when he joins up with Wales? No, so why do people keep peddling on with this nonsense? :rolleyes: :confused:
He should move to England. He can pick up the language far easier

SwedishFish

What is the point in getting someone in on high wages who has a track record of being a disruptive force in the team again?

It's just repeating the Sanchez mistake all over again. Shocking recruitment if he comes.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Tells you everything you need to know about the Caf. This place is littered with hypocrites who chose and preach about principles according to whatever arguments they're trying to argue and back.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Hell no, I don't want a player who has no ambition to play football at the best possible level he could. The man isn't motivated and was ready to go to China just to keep earning those ridiculous wages. He's way past his best form and right now we need a player who can deliver, not one who is full of unknowns.

Deery

Dreary

I agree with this, I think Bale still has a lot to give.
Anytime I watch him for Wales he plays well and is capable of doing extraordinary things with a football.
It wasn’t that long ago he totally destroyed Ireland and scored a worldie, fit and motivated there’s not doubt he’s World Class.
A season long loan with wages subsidised is pretty much a great deal as we need a right winger. Worst can go wrong is we send him back if not good enough, Bayern has done it with James and Continho never did them any harm.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
He isn’t just going to rediscover his explosive acceleration and power. That’s gone. He’s a desperate last minute Ighalo type option for the right wing, absolutely not what we need at all. He’s the total opposite of Sancho and would be yet another example of everything we did wrong before getting into this mess. We’re looking at the name rather than how they’d fit into the system.

For everyone saying it’s just a loan, it stops us bringing in the right player now. Let’s say we add Bale and I’ll be optimistic and say we also add a lb.That means next summer to challenge for something we would still need a starting RW, CB, DM and a FAR better option than Ighalo up top. There’s absolutely no chance we’re doing that in one summer, and people on here will justify it and say how you can’t possibly expect all that in one window so it’ll be 2 years before we actually have a squad capable of challenging. Our first choice right winger is available now and wants to come. Go and sodding get him.
He may rediscover the wand of a left foot though... and his ability to score goals. True he may not be the speed demon he was once, but he's hardly slow either.

Plus I would hope that means we can then get a LB + one other position (CB or an attacker of some kind) with the money we haven't spent.

Also if we don't have the money to buy Sancho this year then there isn't much we can do apart from get some form of stop-gap and go again for him next year when we'll have more money and he may be cheaper with a year less left on his contract. If we can't afford Sancho this year - but he's definitely the man we want - it would make sense to wait for a year and just get something temporary in.

RonaldoVII

Firstly, this will just be a loan so we have the option of pulling the plug on it after a year. Secondly, I'd rather have an expensive option for RW for a year, than have no option at all.

Every transfer is different. Just because Sanchez didn't work, doesn't mean Bale won't. It's like people who say beware of buying Dortmund players because Kagawa and Mkhi flopped. Every transfer should be judged on its own merits, rather than trying to find parallels with past transfers.
It'll still be an outlay of over £10m in wages when he'll likely spend good parts of it injured. Each transfer should be judged on its own merit but we've made plenty of these mistakes before and not just with Sanchez. If our scouting department can't identify anyone for the right wing other than Sancho and Bale then I'd rather spend 300k a week on a new department.

CG1010

Agreed.. Even if we can't sign Sancho, Bale is a step in totally the wrong direction. I would rather buy/loan an experienced decent player to complement our team - Perisic would be much better if he is willing to come. But someone of his profile rather than Bale, who would just create imbalance in the team. Plus any deal with him has to be pay as you play which I am sure he and RM wouldn't agree to.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Loan or not that's not the point. This place is always up in arms preaching about attitude and culture yet the very same people are willing to quickly ignore that to sign some amateur golfer because in their minds they still think he's the player he was 4 years ago.

People will camp in here going through hoops and applying ridiculous mental gymnastic as to explain why we should go for Bale then turn around in another threads and criticise some of our players for their attitudes "body language", "disrespecting the club by allowing x, y or z agent to said this or that", "club culture", "mercenary", "playing for the badge" and so on.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Even on a loan I can't imagine why any self-respecting club would want to have a player who can stink up a place like Bale has been doing. A few years ago I'd have been over the moon at the thought of him coming here, but right now I can't think of many worse options. Maybe moving would change his attitude, maybe, but for how long? You'd always be walking on egg shells around him and we saw how much our squad can be effected by back mood under Jose.

ChaddyP

It's not like ole hasn't loaned an experienced 30 year old to fill a gap. I love the change of culture and approach to be honest. Would do anything to sign sancho. But I don't see getting Bale on loan as against what we have been doing. If Glazers won't give ole the money this year to buy sancho. I can see him going for one of Bale or Perisic on loan. Rather that than signing someone like Brooks permanently.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It'll still be an outlay of over £10m in wages when he'll likely spend good parts of it injured. Each transfer should be judged on its own merit but we've made plenty of these mistakes before and not just with Sanchez. If our scouting department can't identify anyone for the right wing other than Sancho and Bale then I'd rather spend 300k a week on a new department.
I'd agree with you there, but unfortunately, a new scouting department won't solve our RW issue for the upcoming season.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
When was the last time our scouting department unearthed a gem that wasn't for the U18s?

starman

It's baffling people cant understand the concept of a loan...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.