Gareth Bale

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If Real pay 50% salary then Bale at 300K for one season on loan is fantastic deal. He still turns up for Wales so i dont see it being an issue. Remember we dont have any right wingers at all in our team, so any signing will be an improvement

matsdf

We are obviously only going to agree on this with a "pay as you play" type contract. All this crying about his injury record is in my opinion not that relevant. This is going to be a gamble either way, but if we don't get Sancho, I don't really see what we stand to lose from this deal.

Reactions: golden_blunder

reelworld

Similar words were talked about Sanchez on here. People thought his form just dipped because he wanted out of Arsenal. See the pattern between these two cases?

Don’t forget Sanchez had a better injury record than Bale before he came here too.
Good news is, if Bale turn out to be another Sanchez, we just let him go at the end of the loan. But again, every deal is different. Just because Sanchez sucks doesn't mean that Bale will too.

tomaldinho1

Not much to disagree here, but why should we tune down our expectations on Greenwood's development as a player ? We also had big dreams about Rashford when he was 18 and he is turning out alright
As in we shouldn't not sign players who would add to our team because it might take minutes from younger players. No player should be protected from competition, especially if they are young. Whoever is the better player, regardless if they are young or an academy player should start.

I had a discussion with someone else on here about how much better a RW Willian was than Greenwood and why it was weird we didn't seem interested in him on a free as a Sancho alternative. The only argument they had was Greenwood had a good first season and scored 10 PL goals so he was better than Willian and we didn't want Greenwood to lose minutes - I think some fans on here get lost in the idea of us developing the next CR7 and forget that in reality, Greenwood is not an RW and he leaves AWB constantly exposed. We should be excited about him but if Bale comes in and takes his spot, it is crazy to think there is a section of our fanbase that will be disappointed because they'd rather have Greenwood get more minutes than improve the team.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Loan deal would be good. I am assuming he is still an upgrade on Pereira, Lingard et. al and the Glazer mafia are unwilling to sign off on Sancho.

SamVimes

If Real pay 50% salary then Bale at 300K for one season on loan is fantastic deal. He still turns up for Wales so i dont see it being an issue. Remember we dont have any right wingers at all in our team, so any signing will be an improvement
Does he play on the right wing? Thought he had moved in side to a 10 role.

RkkMan

Beggars can`t be choosers we can`t play Greenwood in ever PL, CL, FA Cup and EFL Cup match. I`d bring him in and use him strictly for cup games and no more than 10-15 PL starts with majority off the bench as Greenwood should start majority of our PL matches. Bale is finished but still miles better than James/Lingard/Pereira a season`s loan provided there is no intention of an extension or a permanent transfer would be an okay deal. We should use it to our advantage and tell Madrid to sell us Reguilon on a discount since we`d be gambling with their biggest deadwood.
Then once his loan deal ends we can assess if Sancho is worth going back for or if we should use Chong(who IMO will come back ready to be a first teamer) as depth and stick with our current front 3 for the near future

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground

Spurs currently ahead as we only see him as backup option. Thank god for Jose.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Does he play on the right wing? Thought he had moved in side to a 10 role.
He can play lwf, cf, RWF
Flexibility is key if we have an injury to any of our current front 3 as the drop off in quality after those is too large
Rashford underperforming or injured? Bale goes left
Greenwood needs a rest? Bale goes right

A loan is a win win for me
IF we can’t get sancho

Yagami

Good post resistant
I never watch Madrid and have no clue about his situation, but if he's up for actually playing football I wouldn't be against it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A 32 year old Wilian can still do a great job for Arsenal, but Bale at 31 with 4 CL medals is already finished.
A 32 year old Willian who was basically Chelsea’s player of the season last year, yeah. He’s also played one game, btw.

It’s not the age that’s the problem. Away from the whole once bitten twice shy Alexis ordeal — Bale, when playing, just hasn’t been that good. Gareth Bale has played 46 La Liga games over the last two seasons. He has 10 goals and 5 assists.

The idea that returning to England for him to suddenly become good again after 2 seasons of doing very little is remarkably optimistic.

Cliche Guevara

Is Bale not still brilliant when he plays? As long as the wages aren’t insane having him as first choice with Mason as back-up could still be great for a year albeit a bit expensive.

I was up for Bale two summers ago, and right off him last summer. That was buying him however. If we can’t get Sancho this year then Bale on loan is my second choice. Especially if we do want to try for Sancho again next season.

Yes I would prefer us to go all in for Jadon but despite the doubts I still feel this is the best alternative option on the table available this summer
Yeah im not really keen on Bale but if its a one a year loan with subsidised wages then i guess its not so bad. The issue is can he stay fit?

croadyman

Yeah im not really keen on Bale but if its a one a year loan with subsidised wages then i guess its not so bad. The issue is can he stay fit?
Yeah certain Utd would only want a loan deal for him but the point about whether he can stay fit is a very valid one

Red Daz

He’d be the most talented player in our squad, a loan deal is a no brainer, those saying it’s another Sanchez are clutching, like most of us I’d prefer Sancho but that’s not looking likely so a player with Bales experience and winning mentality can only benefit the squad, couldn’t care less how much we pay , it’s not my money

Jimmah

The guy has been treated badly at Madrid, if he's on a play as you play loan deal then he's worth the risk. He's a lovely guy and would gel well with the current team and has great experience. If the Sancho deal is dead in the water this should be a no brainer.

Rolaholic

The rationalizing over this will turn into righteous anger within a few months I'm almost certain :lol:

There's a good reason why we're being begged to take their deadwood and it's not for our own benefit

Let Jose have at it, need him far away from Carrington.

2020 Bale is a very different player than the 2016 Bale that I was desperate for us to sign.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Arghh... I really hope we don’t get him but in case we do I need to think of something positive:

He would like to be in form for the Euros and therefore may be motivated to work hard / play well / play football.

Tarrou

I'd rather him than Dan James to be fair

I doubt this will happen though because of the wages

croadyman

He’d be the most talented player in our squad, a loan deal is a no brainer, those saying it’s another Sanchez are clutching, like most of us I’d prefer Sancho but that’s not looking likely so a player with Bales experience and winning mentality can only benefit the squad, couldn’t care less how much we pay , it’s not my money
Yeah I also think his experience in europe and all around winning mentality would benefit this team. Yes I am not gonna lie I worry about his fitness but also wonder if he was rushed back by them at times

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'd take him on loan in a heartbeat if it didn't break our wage structure. Perfect stop gap while we wait for Sancho.

His injury record is obviously a concern but we have Greedwood and (shudder) James on the RW too so even if we got 25-30 games from him it'd be worth it.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The rationalizing over this will turn into righteous anger within a few months I'm almost certain :lol:

There's a good reason why we're being begged to take their deadwood and it's not for our own benefit

Let Jose have at it, need him far away from Carrington.

2020 Bale is a very different player than the 2016 Bale that I was desperate for us to sign.
The mental gymnasts is amazing. Best player in our squad, top 10 players in the world and better than Sancho being my particular favourite comments. He’s lost his explosiveness and like Torres before him is half the player he was without it.

croadyman

I'd take him on loan in a heartbeat if it didn't break our wage structure. Perfect stop gap while we wait for Sancho.

His injury record is obviously a concern but we have Greedwood and (shudder) James on the RW too so even if we got 25-30 games from him it'd be worth it.
There was a suggestion from Cooper yesterday of Utd looking at bringing in two wide players this window

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We are obviously only going to agree on this with a "pay as you play" type contract. All this crying about his injury record is in my opinion not that relevant. This is going to be a gamble either way, but if we don't get Sancho, I don't really see what we stand to lose from this deal.
I'd be shocked if Bale agreed to sign on a pay as you play type deal.

Saddy

I've been against buying Bale since he turned us down but a loan deal with either pay for play or half his wages is a no brainer - if we are not signing Sancho this year.

I would take a view from Giggs who would hopefully consider Utd's interests alongside his obvious ones for Wales but 20-30 competitive matches in the Premier League and Internationals would be a great fit all round for a 31 year old "golf pro!"

Bale is a high quality match winner but not a play every match Ronaldo and alongside Ighalo (or replacement in Jan) provides a strong bench for matches.

I suspect his name is being used to flush out Dortmund's desire to take the cash on offer this year or next.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Man. United signing him goes against all OGS has done in last few windoes, it would have Alexis Sanchez vibes.

I think it's far more likely he'll go back to Spurs, can see Mourinho pushing for him and Levy will know that move will get the Spurs fans back onside if their poor start continues.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would be hilarious if Real then signed Sancho to everyone's surprise.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
At worst, he turns out to be like Falcao, and Greenwood and co get to learn a little bit from him in training. Don't see many downsides to a loan. Our other options are probably Douglas Costa, who's equally injury prone and not so good and Perisic, who isn't really a RW.

Eugenius

I have no issue with this. We're clearly not going to do a sanchez and give him a 5 year contract on double the wages of the rest of the squad.

A loan deal where the wages we're paying fit into our wage structure and there's no obligation to buy is low risk. At worst he's a crock and plays golf all year. He could on the other hand recapture his old form, or provide much better quality off the bench than anyone else.

That he might need to play sparingly to manage injuries is actually good that there's still plenty of games for Greenwood.

On the subject of loan wages, by all accounts we're paying a Ighalo a big packet given he's on silly money in China, which no one is bothered about.

Status
Not open for further replies.