Gareth Bale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I have no issues with getting Bale on loan. The guy can still turn it on and can be brilliant.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm curious - a legitimate question for anyone who is dead against it with every fibre of their being...

What is the actual worst thing that could happen if we got Bale for a year on loan?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It'll still be an outlay of over £10m in wages when he'll likely spend good parts of it injured. Each transfer should be judged on its own merit but we've made plenty of these mistakes before and not just with Sanchez. If our scouting department can't identify anyone for the right wing other than Sancho and Bale then I'd rather spend 300k a week on a new department.
You are missing the point. Our first choice is still Sancho and we need him (if not this year, next year). We need a stop gap until we try again next year.

Rolaholic

Yea I don't see anyone can slate and bash some of our players for being 'mercenaries' and not playing for a shirt while arguing for bringing in the textbook definition of one in Bale :lol: :houllier:

If he can't get motivated enough to try to force his way into a Real Madrid side at the highest level, what makes anyone think he'll be motivated to perform for a club that he's twice rejected before and has zero ties to??

There's more potential downside to this than upside and it's a little sad to see people arguing for us to be willing suckers in helping take in Madrid's deadwood for however long when the reverse situation would never in a million years happen

Nick.

I'm curious - a legitimate question for anyone who is dead against it with every fibre of their being...

What is the actual worst thing that could happen if we got Bale for a year on loan?
He could poison the mentality of his teammates

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I don’t want a demotivated Bale anywhere near our young players. He is probably the worst influence on them right now and it won’t be worth a few goals he scores when he plays. The culture will descend back to the Schweinsteiger days is apathy. This group of players are just beginning to look like a team, throw a Bale in there and undo all the good things that happened culturally since Jose left.
This is so far the best reason I have read not to sign Bale. Probably the only one I would take on board. Golf. injuries, quality, salary, Falcao, Bastian, Sanchez are all different situations.

acnumber9

Potentially just another wasted year. We’re stuck in this cycle of having poor transfer windows, starting poorly and scrambling for Champions League in the hope that will give us the means for a good transfer window. Then it just starts again. Ending up with Bale is just symbolic of us settling. As far as a short term option goes then it’s probably the best you get but we only buy time to start this shit all over again next summer.

cyberman

Nonsense. Madrid ended up winning the league with a hard working side with Bale in the squad.
If he plays up we will just send him back

Annihilate Now!

Scout
He didn't at Madrid, if anything he united them into not liking him.... and then they won the league.

Also he doesn't do this for Wales, where - by all accounts - everyone loves him.

But say he does start being an irritant, then you just have him stay separate and you send him packing.

Deery

Dreary
People saying it’s crazy getting a guy on loan for a season at basically no risk, but want to spunk 40-50m on some player just because he’s a right-winger then have the cheek to say to others the don’t know a thing baffles me to be fair..

Bale on loan until the right signing comes along makes a lot more sense..

RonaldoVII

When was the last time our scouting department unearthed a gem that wasn't for the U18s?
Martial perhaps? Before that could argue Herrera / Blind but none of those were exactly unknown around Europe. The last true unknown that was a success was maybe Hernandez? Which is depressing.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I just chuckled reading this post. You talking about injuries and assuming Bale won't be the one injured is hilarious :lol:

Bale would most likely long be in the physio room next to Jones before any of the other 3 succumb to injury therefore rendering your scenarios unlikely. :lol:
So if he plays 20 games on a pay as you play what’s the problem?
Greenwood etc get a rest and we see less of a drop off to the other squad players

This is so far the best reason I have read not to sign Bale. Probably the only one I would take on board. Golf. injuries, quality, salary, Falcao, Bastian, Sanchez are all different situations.
The alternative view perhaps would be that having a 3 times CL winner in the squad will inspire the younger players.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
It's not like ole hasn't loaned an experienced 30 year old to fill a gap. I love the change of culture and approach to be honest. Would do anything to sign sancho. But I don't see getting Bale on loan as against what we have been doing. If Glazers won't give ole the money this year to buy sancho. I can see him going for one of Bale or Perisic on loan. Rather that than signing someone like Brooks permanently.
Then sign Perisic if we must but this whole Sancho or Bale is an indictment to how poor our scouting is.

Bale is literally everything against what Ole has been preaching. If we sign Bake then Ole loses all right to talk about attitude, culture and profile to fit this club.

Bale hit all the negative checks of a player we shouldn't go for especially in this new revamped culture we're trying to promote.

Regardless of the circumstances Bale has been disrespecting his current club for years now, shows no respect for his current boss and consequently his attitude is a show of respect to his fellow teammates. Someone who choses to sleep on the bench while his team is playing is a bad egg.

Someone who tells his boss to not bother selecting him because he won't come even if he isn't fancied by his boss is a bad egg.

Someone who goes around disrespecting his club(Wales, Golf, Madrid) all over the globe while still contracted to them is toxic.

Us willingly walking into that trainwreck, especially after Ole has talked and reiterated about not wanting bad eggs would be absolutely ridiculous.

macheda14

Greenwood etc get a rest and we see less of a drop off to the other squad players
Where has this pay as you play idea come from. He’s still got a contract with Real and therefore will be paid weekly and in full. Real will most likely pay for half of the contract, we can’t just pick and choose when we pay.

golden_blunder

Staff
People saying it’s crazy getting a guy on loan for a season at basically no risk, but want to spunk 40-50m on some player just because he’s a right-winger then have the cheek to say to others the don’t know a thing baffles me to be fair..

Bale on loan until the right signing comes along makes a lot more sense..
And allows to conserve funds for another bash at sancho next time

Godfather

Where has this pay as you play idea come from. He’s still got a contract with Real and therefore will be paid weekly and in full. Real will most likely pay for half of the contract, we can’t just pick and choose when we pay.
You think Madrid would accept sending him on loan and paying half his wages? Doubt it. Also doubt he would choose us if Tottenham come in for him

Rolaholic

Nonsense. Madrid ended up winning the league with a hard working side with Bale in the squad.
If he plays up we will just send him back
Absolutely none of that had anything to do with Bale though when he played even less than a Hazard who wasn't even fit for the majority of the season

Only Mariano and Asensio, who was also injured long term, played less minutes in attack for them last year and that's including a few teenagers who played regularly. He's been a non factor in their team since Zidane came back

cyberman

Martial perhaps? Before that could argue Herrera / Blind but none of those were exactly unknown around Europe. The last true unknown that was a success was maybe Hernandez? Which is depressing.
Not really. We sign all our u18 gems to the academy.
Theres no need to take big risks on young players when we have so many ourselves. It blocks the pathways to youngsters which is a huge selling point for us

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Jose wants Bale. That should be enough for us to look elsewhere.

tomaldinho1

He isn’t just going to rediscover his explosive acceleration and power. That’s gone. He’s a desperate last minute Ighalo type option for the right wing, absolutely not what we need at all. He’s the total opposite of Sancho and would be yet another example of everything we did wrong before getting into this mess. We’re looking at the name rather than how they’d fit into the system.

For everyone saying it’s just a loan, it stops us bringing in the right player now. Let’s say we add Bale and I’ll be optimistic and say we also add a lb.That means next summer to challenge for something we would still need a starting RW, CB, DM and a FAR better option than Ighalo up top. There’s absolutely no chance we’re doing that in one summer, and people on here will justify it and say how you can’t possibly expect all that in one window so it’ll be 2 years before we actually have a squad capable of challenging. Our first choice right winger is available now and wants to come. Go and sodding get him.
This couldn't be less accurate. I'm massively against us signing him permanently but a loan is perfect. He still has pace and acceleration & knows how to play RW at the highest level.

All the scenarios have positive outcomes:
  1. He tears it up: we can try to sign him permanently or just let him go back to Real. Either way an excellent loan.
  2. He gets injured: same as we we are now. Mason starting RW and working on Sancho. He goes back to Real.
  3. He's crap: same as we are now. Mason starting RW and working on Sancho. He goes back to Real.
No one sees him as a long term solution but if we don't sign Sancho, which is the point of why we're apparently looking to loan him, he is a far superior player to Greenwood on the RW. It really is a no brainer on a subsidised loan deal & FYI Ighalo was a pretty decent loan which allowed Martial some rest and was important in us getting CL football.

golden_blunder

Staff
It’s not hard - RM cover 50% of his salary. We agree to pay whatever but only if he’s fit to play. It is a chance for him to put himself in the shop window and prove people wrong

RonaldoVII

You are missing the point. Our first choice is still Sancho and we need him (if not this year, next year). We need a stop gap until we try again next year.
If Sancho has even a good season I can't imagine him being any cheaper, but there'd be plenty more competition for his signature. We have a genuinely top talent that wants to sign for us and we've known his price all summer. If we've been bluffing or don't want to spend the money then who were 2nd/3rd choice when targets were discussed before the end of the season? If Bale has been our 2nd choice all along then they should all hang their heads in shame. If Bale is 5th choice due to the others no longer being available then why have we spent all summer pondering over Sancho when his fee was known in June?

As others have said, Perisic would be a far better stop-gap than Bale.

cyberman

Absolutely none of that had anything to do with Bale though when he played even less minutes than a Hazard who wasn't even fit for the majority of the season

Only Mariano and Asensio, who was also injured long term, played less minutes in attack for them last year and that's including a few teenagers who played regularly. He's been a non factor in their team since Zidane came back
... So he didnt poision the mentality of his teammates?...

macheda14

You think Madrid would accept sending him on loan and paying half his wages? Doubt it. Also doubt he would choose us if Tottenham come in for him
Those are the reports. Remember we did the same with Sanchez? Real have two choices, keep him rotting in the bench and pay full wages or send him on loan and pay half wages.

It’s not hard - RM cover 50% of his salary. We agree to pay whatever but only if he’s fit to play. It is a chance for him to put himself in the shop window and prove people wrong
I thought there was maybe a report of that being possible. There’s no way he’d agree to that when he could just collect his full wages.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Then sign Perisic if we must but this whole Sancho or Bale is an indictment to how poor our scouting is.

Bale is literally everything against what Ole has been preaching. If we sign Bake then Ole loses all right to talk about attitude, culture and profile to fit this club.

Bale hit all the negative checks of a player we shouldn't go for especially in this new revamped culture we're trying to promote.

Regardless of the circumstances Bale has been disrespecting his current club for years now, shows no respect for his current boss and consequently his attitude is a show of respect to his fellow teammates. Someone who choses to sleep on the bench while his team is playing is a bad egg.

Someone who tells his boss to not bother selecting him because he won't come even if he isn't fancied by his boss is a bad egg.

Someone who goes around disrespecting his club(Wales, Golf, Madrid) all over the globe while still contracted to them is toxic.

Us willingly walking into that trainwreck, especially after Ole has talked and reiterated about not wanting bad eggs would be absolutely ridiculous.
Alternatively if Bale turned his attitude around under Ole, woudn't that be the glowing endorsement of the culture he's trying to create... Plus i'm sure he'll rope in Giggsy to keep Bale on the straight and narrow.

It's a gamble sure.... but in the world of gambles its a really, really low risk one. And I do think there's something to be said about a chance of scenery/enviornment/job that can make anyone completely change. Plus by all accounts Bale's attitude in Madrid is directly due to the club and his environment, which obviously won't be the same here.

Having said all that... I would definitely prefer Perisic. (feck it, get both, get all the loans! we can be a reverse Chelsea)

To play golf?
Do you think if we did get him on loan, our manager would speak to him first to determine his commitment?

I would presume he’s been turning up to training, even if he’s not playing. What’s wrong with going and playing golf in your free time?

SATA

Lots of noises but i genuinely doubt we will sign him and it goes against our recent recruitment of players. More likely to go back to Spurs. Jose loves him

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Do you think if we did get him on loan, our manager would speak to him first to determine his commitment?

I would presume he’s been turning up to training, even if he’s not playing. What’s wrong with going and playing golf in your free time?
It's proper boring?

someone bite

Godfather

If he was serious about his football he could have left ages ago. Turned us down too the fecker. I'm not saying I wouldn't take him on loan for a year but I doubt he'd even consider joining us.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Do you honestly believe that he'll accept such a deal. He'll want his fu salary covered one way or another. Hes been willing to sit on the bench wasting his career to collect big paychecks, he's not going to have an epiphany and stop that now.

And this is even without bringing up the issue with this deal going against everything we're trying to build toward, everything we stand for. Ole has been quite vocal about attitude and right profile for this team and Bale certainly doesn't fit at all.

golden_blunder

Staff
Those are the reports. Remember we did the same with Sanchez? Real have two choices, keep him rotting in the bench and pay full wages or send him on loan and pay half wages.

I thought there was maybe a report of that being possible. There’s no way he’d agree to that when he could just collect his full wages.
Nobody will pay him full wages. I think he knows he needs to prove himself. There’s a negotiation to be made

RonaldoVII

Not really. We sign all our u18 gems to the academy.
Theres no need to take big risks on young players when we have so many ourselves. It blocks the pathways to youngsters which is a huge selling point for us
I get your point but how many of the u18 gems are getting into the squad? Or did the youth overhaul happen too soon for that to really come into fruition yet? Chong perhaps counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.