Garnacho - our new #7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trex

I don't get the pressure. It's a shirt number we're not asking him to rewire the electrics, let's calm down. If it's a show of confidence in him then so be it.
It's been worn by Beckham, Cantona, Ronaldo. The occupant may feel oh I have to be a Ronaldo every time I step on the pitch now. It will take time and steady progression to get there that is if he does. Its just unnecessary attention. He should be focused on nailing down a first team spot.

Red Rash

I don't see it as a big deal. Our recent number 7s

• Ronaldo - Obviously a great player but sulked and left. Good first season then dropped off a cliff
  • Cavani - Also a fantastic player but always injured and passed his peak
  • Sanchez - Complete disaster
  • Depay - Didn't make it here
  • Di Maria - Left pretty quickly
  • Valencia - Good player and servant but not elite by any means
  • Owen - Often injured, a few memorable moments

Overall our recent record hasn't been amazing and although the 7 is prestigious at the club, it's only really since Ronaldo's first stint at the club and before that it's really been owned by a special, consistent player in their peak.

Red4Life_#7

Agreed, too soon. If we sell Fred then give him the number 17.
Save the number 7 for Mbappe :lol:

AndySmith1990

Yeah why not. He can follow in the footsteps of our former legendary #7 Michael Owen

Joel Miller

He seems like a pretty fearless lad so maybe he’s one of those players who’d relish it rather than being crushed by the pressure of having an iconic shirt number?

I can’t see any issue with it personally.

Jonty

He is at United so he is already in the goldfish bowl and he is thriving. I can't see how any additional focus because of wearing an iconic shirt number will cause him to wilt.

desirere

The number 7 shirt has become some sort of cursed artifact over the past 2 decades, only the chosen one got to wear it the rest have fallen victim to its overwhelming burden. That said, I’d give it to the lad, nay, force it upon him. This will either make him or break him.

Devil You Know

Garnacho won't let the shirt weigh him down. He's one of the few players in the squad arrogant enough to think he deserves it. It'll be fine.

acnumber9

This has just become yet another marketing stunt for United. They’ll give it to who they think will shift the most merchandise.

KrasHammerhand

Do you honestly feel that the significance of the number will have any effect on the lad.
He is probably the most confident player in the squad.
The only weight the #7 would have on him is the stitching to keep the number attached.

digitalmpu

I like this idea for a different reason. It’s not like that the #7 has some magical influence on the player, positive or negative. It is just the mental aspects. If we want Garnacho to be the player we all expect him to be, he will have that mental strength to handle it. If not, we shall soon find out.

We have too many average to good players. If Garnacho turns out to be another one, it doesn’t change our fortune that much. On the other hand, to get to the next level, we need people with that extra edge and flair. So I shall rather be curious to see if he has what it takes to be one of those.

It is sink or swim for the lad if the news is true. One can hope!

RyRy11

I'm a huge stickler for squad numbers and I think a few years ago I'd believe this is too soon for him. Our recent history has degraded the alure of the 7 so why not? Garnacho has the chance to own the number if he gets it and I don't think there's anyone else in the squad that deserves it more.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Garnacho won't let the shirt weigh him down. He's one of the few players in the squad arrogant enough to think he deserves it. It'll be fine.
Depay was arrogant and thought he deserved it. There's no need to add additional pressure however small to a player still below 20. It's just silly.

theballisround

He barely plays 30 mins here and there and people want to give him the 7 shirt, what the feck.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Do you honestly feel that the significance of the number will have any effect on the lad.
He is probably the most confident player in the squad.
The only weight the #7 would have on him is the stitching to keep the number attached.
The player who looked most fearless and full of confidence for us in recent years would have been Rashford from his debut til 2020. The boy was immature at decision-making in the final third but he was utterly fearless and not hesitate to try new things. I'm not sure Garnacho at the moment reaches that level of confidence.

Aint gota Kalou

He won't shrink like others but only a year ago he was having disciplinary issues. I probably would've held off another year but who cares really

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
The more weight we put on the significance of our number 7s, the longer we’ll live in the past. Move on, guys.

Wezzaldo

I have no problem with it. I remember some wanted Sancho to have it when we signed him, so what do we know haha

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
They're just numbers and mean very little really I suppose, but I do like it when players from the academy stick with the number they broke through with, like McTominay has with no.39. We don't have too many examples here, but Bayern players seem to do it a lot. It's rare to see a Bayern academy product wear a number between 1 and 11, even after they're an established starter. (eg Lahm 21, Muller 25, Schweinsteiger 31). Always thought that was pretty cool.

Red00012

Considering Michael Owen , Alexis Sanchez and Ronaldo part 2 wore it , it doesn’t have the effect as it used to. It’s a number at the end of the day.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Time for a reflection: are we too mean to young players?

Jajunaz was 19 when we had posters shouting everyday during transfer window break: "He is the next Ryan Giggs (pre jail)! give him number 11, yeahh!! do it do it!" but the moment he had problems replicating his form under Van Gaal we cursed at him, not good enough for United, etc and wanted to send him to Spain. Poor lad could only count up to cuatro but we didn't care.

Depay was 21, barely spoke the lingo, was a soundcloud artist turned footballer, only had one mate in Shaw and we had posters yelling the moment he signed for United: "New Ronaldo! he has the swagger!! finally the new number 7, will be successful, etc" someone by the nickname NLMax even dedicated his RedCafe life bigging him up. But once we saw him struggling people said his calves are too massive and wanted him out. NLMax was never seen again and I think he got so angry at Depay that he started supporting another team.

And now Garnacho, 18, is getting the same treatment : "Worthy number 7, has what it takes to handle the pressure, Ronaldo level talent, etc". When he has played less than Welbeck during his first breakthrough season.

Do you throw your kids into the swimming pool because you believe they can swim? and send them to Spain when they cannot? this kind of abuse needs to stop. If we're talking about legends, why don't let them make their own? wear 99 and be the best player in the world their not mutual exclusivity.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's a good time to get it.

The shirt doesn't carry the weight it used to imo following the Ronaldo return and quick fallout.

If he doesn't make it to the level we hope, it won't be because of the shirt.

Big Andy

Bloke
Commercially it makes so much sense. Imagine how many kids would want the Garnacho 7 shirt. Both of mine would for a start. I also think he has the arrogance/confidence to actually thrive off it.

Seveneric

He's shown potential, but he's yet to have a breakout season. Idk what's to be gained (for both sides) from handing him the shirt so early?

Status
Not open for further replies.