Garnacho - our new #7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancsarered

I agree with the posts above that the 7 shirt matters less to me these days, but having a young player from the academy wearing it gives it life again.

Borninthe80ts

As much as I think he has done extremely well at times his season and he is a clearly very talented player, I’m not sure his place in the pecking order next season will be number 7 worthy.

The opportunities he has had have come due to poor or average performances from more senior squad members who I expect to improve next season, ie Sancho and Antony. Plus hopefully 1 maybe 2 more strikers potentially ahead of him as well.

I do think the number can have an impact on a player though, providing confidence and maybe improve mentality. I know he doesn’t deserve it but I’d give it Jadon. He basically has to perform next season or his gone so help him as much as possible. If not, it’s Garnacho’s the season afterwards.

GoldanoGraham

Big season coming up for Garnacho - don’t think he will be or should be the no7 but he could aspire to that as he has bags of potential……really needs to press on again this season

Castia

Mount will probably wear 19 like at Chelsea with Varane going to 4

colombianmancunian

He deserves it. It will happen what happened when Ronaldo got it at 18, the lad will prove capable and go on to become key for us.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Generally I don't give a flying feck about numbers, nor get why everyone obssesses over them.... but the 7 shirt does carry some baggage/history/weight so it is significant, and if Garnacho thinks he can shoulder then that fair enough.

wolvored

If they give him the No 7 shirt wouldnt that be ab indicator that hes going to be a regular starter?

Rake

If they give him the No 7 shirt wouldnt that be ab indicator that hes going to be a regular starter?
EtH said several times that he needs to up his game and earn that. Would indicate a high believe that he can do it though.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
If we're talking about legends, why don't let them make their own? wear 99 and be the best player in the world their not mutual exclusivity.
I get what you're saying but as a Canadian I'm obliged to state this is the worst number you could have picked to make that point.

Yakuza_devils

No. He is not ready for No.7. He is still very young and I think he needs at least 1 more season to develop.

Ronaldo was a different beast.

Chairman Steve

Ronaldo definitely wasn’t ready when Ferguson gave him No.7 20 years ago. I think the story goes that he wanted No.28 but Ferguson was quite insistent on No.7.

Garnacho’s stats last season aren’t too dissimilar to Ronaldo’s United debut season stats. They both had some bright moments through largely uneventful periods.

Seeing that Garnacho idolises Ronaldo, he’ll probably see getting No.7 as the biggest confidence boost possible. The club then have to make sure his feet are kept on the ground and that he doesn’t fall into complacency, because as a teenage footballer I imagine it can be really easy to get carried away and think you’ve made it if they give you Ronaldo’s No.7.

lex talionis

Ronaldo definitely wasn’t ready when Ferguson gave him No.7 20 years ago. I think the story goes that he wanted No.28 but Ferguson was quite insistent on No.7.

Garnacho’s stats last season aren’t too dissimilar to Ronaldo’s United debut season stats. They both had some bright moments through largely uneventful periods.

Seeing that Garnacho idolises Ronaldo, he’ll probably see getting No.7 as the biggest confidence boost possible. The club then have to make sure his feet are kept on the ground and that he doesn’t fall into complacency, because as a teenage footballer I imagine it can be really easy to get carried away and think you’ve made it if they give you Ronaldo’s No.7.
For those here on the caf who never saw Ronaldo match after match in his first season at OT, he was spectacular to watch -- especially those multiple stepovers -- but was wildly erratic. The law of the football gods is such that it's hard to see Garnacho ever reaching the height Ronaldo reached, but at the same age Garnacho is better than Ronaldo. Ronnie took at off 20 and never looked back and what exactly he did to grow from boy to man we'll never know (has to be more than hard work I would think) but at 18 Garnacho > Ronaldo. We'll see about this upcoming season as defenders will be wise to him and no doubt will have a few raised studs waiting for him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He fits the 7 perfectly. He's cocky, he stylistically fits it as a player, potential wise is good for it, don't think he'll crumble under the pressure of it.

People are all scared cause other players struggled, but that was either mentality based or just the wrong players. Garnacho is the kid for it.

AlexUTD

Nice to see Martinez was there celebrating with him. Captain material.
:lol: :devil:

Licha for President!

He fits the 7 perfectly. He's cocky, he stylistically fits it as a player, potential wise is good for it, don't think he'll crumble under the pressure of it.

People are all scared cause other players struggled, but that was either mentality based or just the wrong players. Garnacho is the kid for it.
Couldnt agree more!

The number 7 needs a certain type of player with a huge amount of self belief,this kid got it!

Yakuza_devils

I know it was many years ago but Ronaldo debut at Man Utd was something else. From his first game we knew straight away that he was going to be superstar. He was very exciting to watch. Wonder kid with wonderful skills.

SAF and the team saw him play for the first time vs Sporting in a friendly and all of them urge the club to sign him asap.

ROFLUTION

I know it was many years ago but Ronaldo debut at Man Utd was something else. From his first game we knew straight away that he was going to be superstar. He was very exciting to watch. Wonder kid with wonderful skills.

SAF and the team saw him play for the first time vs Sporting in a friendly and all of them urge the club to sign him asap.
Yeah I agree but less can definitely do too for the 7 shirt. It’s not like Ronaldo’s come around regularly. But Ronaldo also had some years before he turned into the Ronaldo we knew, where it was up for debate whether he’d fulfill his talent.

Dannn411

Unless he's going to be a bonafide starter from match 1, there is no point putting unnecessary pressure on the kid.

whitbyviking

I don't follow. They're not children, they're perfectly capable of setting up a party.
Nobody is saying he can't, but it's highly unlikely a 19yr old lad organises their own party, especially a professional footballer, who is likely to have more hangers on than your average teenager.

Status
Not open for further replies.