Gary Neville has been appointed as Head Coach of Valencia until the end of the season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Excellent. Great to see a former player who appears to have a good understanding of the game go out and start his managerial career, and that too in an unfamiliar environment. Will be watching a whole lot of Valencia from now on. Hope he does really well.

Cina

Great timing an' all. Right before the Barcelona match.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Jobs for the boys. Big Peter is a good mate indeed :D

Will he be playing fast, attacking football with wingers? Seriously though, hope he does well and becomes a success as a manager.

drdoityourself

Does Valencia have a way? Like the United Way he and his mates go on about. Surely he'll have to dive into the clubs' history books and find the tactic.

amolbhatia50k

And I hate to make this thread about Giggs, but it just goes to show that there are opportunities out there for respected ex players ( let alone legends) if they come across as knowledgable to the owners of clubs. I hope Giggs follows suit and proves himself.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Alas, another slight which denies Brendan "Dos paellas, el mate, ta" Rodgers his Iberian destiny.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I mean, talk about chucking yourself in at the deep end! Valencia are a huge club with (you'd imagine) fairly sizeable aspirations.... Really hope it works out well for him.

Also, does he know a lick of Spanish?

El Zoido

Wtf! I thought this was a typo when I saw the headline on the BBC.

JB7

That's almost entirely up to Mendes and Lim.
Indeed but they're not going to force players upon him - Valencia quite specifically didn't want another Mendes client in charge.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Both Neville brothers now have some quality coaching experience under their belts as well as exposure to quality coaching methods over their entire playing careers.

Gary Neville's role as a pundit will also have massively accelerated his holistic view of the game as well as decoding tactics.

Of course this appointment is down to personal contacts but its not as mad as it sounds. And it provides a fantastic platform for both brothers to show what they can do as a double act (that could stay together for an entire managerial career!).

Maybe Ryan Giggs now has some serious competition for who takes over after Van Gaal!

Last edited:

CG1010

And I hate to make this thread about Giggs, but it just goes to show that there are opportunities out there for respected ex players ( let alone legends) if they come across as knowledgable to the owners of clubs. I hope Giggs follows suit and proves himself.
Its just their connections apparently.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'd be pretty unimpressed if I was a Valencia fan. Lim just doing favours for his friends.

Hope he does well however.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Errr can he speak Spanish? This is proper weird for a first managing job.

GBBQ

Honestly, I thought this would have been a good job for Giggs to go out and prove himself. Interesting though, Could Neville be a future United manager. He's clearly tactically astute and wants to play entertaining football built on a good defence.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Will he be going for a w@nk on the beach before taking his first training too?

LR7

Hope he does really well. He could leapfrog giggsy as a candidate for the United job post LvG.

I thought they'd got the first names mixed up. Gary AND Phil at Valencia now?! Is this some kind of prank :lol:

amolbhatia50k

As much as it's an opportunity it's also a big risk that Neville's taken given the size of club and being in the foreign country. Hope he proves himself. Will definitely tune in for his first game in charge.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Could be the beginning of the end for the CO92 though.
Imagine, Neville is a success and gets the United job over Giggs. Can't see that going down well.

Interesting times are ahead. Can't wait. Love a bit of drama :drool:

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I'll miss seeing him on TV but this is brilliant. I always thought his talents were wasted in the TV Studio.

Jev

Good news for us, a very big stage for him to show whether or not he has the pedigree to manage us alongside Giggs and Scholes one day.