Gary Neville Last Night

romufc

Pretty obvious he wanted Mandzukic, who would have been extremely helpful.

Also quite clear he wanted a midfielder.

He wasn't backed.
He wasn't backed, keep hearing this but it is Ole who came out and said there was NO striker to fit the bill.

The only other midfielder he was targeting was Longstaff, and really that would not have changed our fortunes.

Judas

Open to offers
Are you telling me that after the PSG Game, you weren't going "GIVE HIM THE JOB"?

IF you are saying that, you're a liar. Everyone wanted him made permanent at that point in time.
Because we were all high on a big win. But a football club should be above that, shouldn't be making emotional decisions.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He wasn't backed, keep hearing this but it is Ole who came out and said there was NO striker to fit the bill.

The only other midfielder he was targeting was Longstaff, and really that would not have changed our fortunes.
Look at Rashford right now. Have you ever seen a less confident player? I'm not sure I have.

Imagine if, on top of everything else, Ole publicly stated that he wasn't happy with his attacking options.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's absolutely right to say we need five or six players and have to stop changing course with every new manager.

The issue is that of all the managers we could choose to appoint and stick with, there's no reason to think Solskjaer is the right one. He's neither a proven manager, nor a young dynamic manager with a lot of potential, nor really a manager who should ever have been appointed to this role. If he's not the right manager then sticking with him won't work, even if stick with a manager is what needs to be done.

Also, this is where a DOF would be useful as you could lose the manager without the overall direction of the club changing.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
So he is to blame with our lack of Midfield and forward options too.
He didn't buy any of them, they're being fielded through lack of choice.

If you're going to be contrary then at least back it up with some facts

Deery

Dreary
I do not get what people are watching if they think we’re only 3 ‘World Class’ players away from a team worthy of this clubs stature.

I rarely agree with Neville but 5/6 players is absolutely correct.

We aren’t getting peak Rio, peak Keane & peak RvP.

This squad & in particular the first team need huge investment.
Your not considered that we have been missing 6 first team players from yesterday, with Pogba, Wan Bissaka, Shaw, Martial and Lindelof coming back adding 3 players of top quality would be enough. Striker, Midfielder and Winger.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's absolutely right to say we need five or six players and have to stop changing course with every new manager.

The issue is that of all the managers we could choose to appoint and stick with, there's no reason to think Solskjaer is the right one. He's neither a proven manager, nor a young dynamic manager with a lot of potential, nor really a manager who should ever have been appointed to this role. If he's not the right manager then sticking with him won't work, even if stick with a manager is what needs to be done.

Also, this is where a DOF would be useful as you could lose the manager without the overall direction of the club changing.
The only thing keeping him in the job right now, is that this dreadful run of results we're on is split over the end of last season and this.

I don't think anyone would be in the "Keep" camp, if we'd started the season results wide from the After PSG run.
We'd be bottom 3!

romufc

Look at Rashford right now. Have you ever seen a less confident player? I'm not sure I have.

Imagine if, on top of everything else, Ole publicly stated that he wasn't happy with his attacking options.
Well come on really, these lads are being criticised on social media and if you aspire to be a top striker you gotta come out of this "lacking in confidence". Nothing about Rashford's play suggests he is willing to do it. Missing the whole game again.

soralapio

EVERYONE at the club is responsible for this s**t show. But who is the ultimate person who has the responsibility to sort this out and doesn't?

It is clear, even before Gary's comments yesterday, what is the problem. I simply don't understand how fans do not see this?!
It would be tempting to say that many of the people who don't get it might be newer fans, or casual fans, but I think that would be a cop out. I'm not trying to be some Top Red or anything, but it does feel like the general atmosphere among United supporters has changed in recent years. In a way it's understandable. Until 8 years ago most of us had only ever known one Manchester United manager, and one type of Manchester United: the Fergie / Gill Manchester United. Fergie and Gill leaving at the same time was always going to be a massive cultural shift even if the board and owners were up to the job (which they 100% haven't been), as well as a massive cultural shock to many fans. We just don't know how to handle it.

We're used to essentially God sitting on his eternal throne. You might not always 100% agree with God, but he's been there all your life and will continue to be there, and you know that ultimately he's right more often than not, so you learn to accept it. It's just the way things are. But now God's throne is empty, and everything is in a state of flux. The board and owners certainly don't seem to know what the hell to do now that the massive personality that steered the whole club for near 30 years is gone. And we, as supporters, don't know how to be anymore either. We can't rely on Fergie knowing best, so we're questioning everything, and flailing about in a desperate bid to get back to the status quo we grew up in.

Most other football supporters are used to managers coming and going, but we aren't (you can kind of see the same thing happening at Arsenal). We're used to things working, and we're used to the occasional bad blip getting turned over in short order as Fergie rolls up his sleeves, reinvents himself once again, and conjures up another conquering side. But that's not going to happen this time, and not only is that a hard pill to swallow for many of us, it's somehow literally an incomprehensible idea.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
:lol:

So we shouldn’t go for a top class manager because it didn’t work before? Where’s the logic in that?
The annoying thing with people saying we've gone "top class" before, is that LVG and Jose were not top class by the time we got them!
VG was a good 10-15 years beyond his peak, and Jose was very much on his way down.

romufc

He didn't buy any of them, they're being fielded through lack of choice.

If you're going to be contrary then at least back it up with some facts
So why didn't he buy any? We had 3 months and all we were only interested in longstaff from reports.

Those are the facts, Ole was happy with the signings as he said numerous times.

If you feel he wasn't, back it up with facts.

Castia

How? The reason Ole still has so much support is because of his transfer dealings. Every single player he’s signed looks great. That’s a massive step in the right direction.
12 months earlier Jose wanted Maguire the board didn’t think he was worth it, AWB looks good but he was great last year, arguably the best rb in the league so not a massive surprise. James looks to be the one gem we found but even now it’s too early to judge.

It just won’t be a viable way of doing things in the long run, we need to fill about 5-6 holes in the squad there isn’t enough British’s players for the level we need to fill those roles. A full squad of young British players? Come on there’s a reason why nobody serious is doing this shit.

Beagle

Signing English players only will never be enough for United because they're just not very good. Also United don't have the pick of the best English players like Sterling and Kane. This approach is good enough to be midtable.

Nickelodeon

Just because everyone else is shite does not mean that the manager is not crap himself. Why Gary Neville always refrains himself from pointing that out is beyond me? The likes of Southampton and Watford wouldn't be tolerating this nonsense. Our manager currently is the managerial equivalent of a midfield of Matic,Fred, McTominay, Lingard and Pereira. No matter how many opportunities you give them, there is only so much that can be produced.

We need a top class manager with his own coaching staff to implement any coherent style of play (it could be a parked bus for all I care as long as there is some plan for winning) and enough balls to say what is what. We take an inexplicable amount of time to show an under-performing manager the door. Showing some deluded sense of loyalty is normally our step one of the manager sacking cycle.

soralapio

For now. At this stage of the season every single one of Joses first signings also looked great.
Except for, you know, Fred. The £50m player he absolutely had to have but then didn't play. And Lindelöf who looked anything but great for months. And Nemanja Matic who looked years past it when he stepped off that airplane. And Henrikh Mkhitaryan who we kept waiting for to acclimatize right until he signed for Arsenal. And Alexis Sanchez, who never looked like a player. And Diogo Dalot, who "wasn't ready" for Manchester United.

But I will grant you that Pobga, Lukaku, Bailly and Zlatan looked great at this stage of the season.

red thru&thru

two past it managers. Both werent top when we hired them, but quite clearly on the downward spiral.

the key is to hire a competent manager in line with the club's philosophy and the intern structure we dont have. Ole and Woody are the biggest culprits, both are not good enough in their jobs (Woody in the football side of things). Both go hand in hand, we cant wait years until we restructure but Ole gets us relegated. He isnt good enough. The aim this season wasnt relegation battle, but maybe lingering around top 6. That difference is mainly on Ole/the coaching staff and some of it on Woody as well.
If we isolate this season on it's own, of course, it is Ole and the coaches and players.

But my query goes back to, what due diligence did Ed do when hiring Ole? You also mentioned to failing managers were hired, who hired these failing managers? It was Ed. Everything keeps pointing back to Ed.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Because we were all high on a big win. But a football club should be above that, shouldn't be making emotional decisions.
Watching Rio's reaction to the PSG game on BT is blackly funny in hindsight: 'Give him the contract, let him put whatever number he wants on it, Ole's at the wheel, United are back!'. I have to admit I was happy going along with that decision at the time, but it's obvious now we should have kept him as interim boss and left ourselves in a more flexible position to react to a downturn in results and the availability of a top class manager.

Scotty McT

The argument of "we appointed top class managers and look how that turned out" is one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen. If Pep was interested in the United job should we give it to some "up and comer" like Ole because Mourinho and LvG have ruined it for him by being top class managers who've failed?

Calling Mou and LvG top class managers is stupid anyway. LvG was regarded as a failure at Bayern and Mourinho's final season at Chelsea was a disgrace. Both of those managers were clearly way past their best by the time they came to United. Pretty much no one thinks they're top class now so why would they have been top class beforehand?

red thru&thru

No doubting Mou and LVG's pedigree that they had in their CV when they came to the club but neither were playing in the style that is now bringing success to City and Liverpool. Bus parking and ultra cautious was never going to close the gap to those two. I don't think we should write off bringing in a top class manager because those two experiments failed.

We need to bring in top class manager with a positive philosophy and back him to the hilt with money.
100%. We should only be recruiting top class in every position.

But why has put out there that we want a DoF and he still hasn't?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Neville should be banned from discussing United. Clueless fecker.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Except for, you know, Fred. The £50m player he absolutely had to have but then didn't play. And Lindelöf who looked anything but great for months. And Nemanja Matic who looked years past it when he stepped off that airplane. And Henrikh Mkhitaryan who we kept waiting for to acclimatize right until he signed for Arsenal. And Alexis Sanchez, who never looked like a player. And Diogo Dalot, who "wasn't ready" for Manchester United.

But I will grant you that Pobga, Lukaku, Bailly and Zlatan looked great at this stage of the season.
Who did not play in Jose first 8 games...

Pogba Bailly Zlata and Mhiki

Fans were talking about the new transfer strategy and how it was great just like they are doing now.

By the end of this season we will see how good a signing James will be, I reckon no so good.

As for Maguire jury is also still out

welshwingwizard

The 3 signings we've made have been British and good. How can you dispute that?
If you think James has been good then you have allowed your standards to slip. He is really hit and miss. The only reason he looks interesting is because the other attackers have somehow managed to look worse.

In any standard united team he may be a useful bench option but he would never be classed as good. People gave Nani hasstle here and he could truly be outstanding.

In a desert the mirage will look tantalising I guess. Similar to wan Bisaka although I think he will continue to improve. But at the moment he doesnt add enough going forward and dont think he could be classed as good.

As for the british thing...it has to stop. How many top british players have there been over the last 5 years. Perhaps enough for a decent 11¿ so what are the chances we will get them all playing for united?

Go for talent not nationality. As if spanish or italian people cant have passion....

red thru&thru

So the answer is to scrap the bottle of the barrel and stick with Ole? The mental gymnastics to stick up for him and appear superior on here is getting more and more laughably desperate.
Where have I said to stick with Ole? what becomes more laughable is people talking with no clue.

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
The big problem for the club is that, from an owners point of view, it is being very well run. They are money men, not sportsmen.

red thru&thru

4 trophies. Not bad.

Ole would be hailed as better than fergie if he last 4 years and deliver us 4 trophies, yes even league cup is an achievements
A league title is an achievement. Fergie won the league cup in his 3 year drought, it is hardly ever mentioned. True success is the league. You think City would invest so much to go win the league?!

red thru&thru

:lol:

So we shouldn’t go for a top class manager because it didn’t work before? Where’s the logic in that?
What is the point of a top class manager with an incompetent board? Even more laughable to think just the manager is responsible for getting results! :lol::lol::lol:

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He signed AWB - prob not scouted by him
Maguire - Wanted by Jose last year
James is the only signing you can call is Oles signing.
Jesus :lol::lol:

I think Ole needs to go, but you can't just make shit up to suit your agenda.

romufc

Jesus :lol::lol:

I think Ole needs to go, but you can't just make shit up to suit your agenda.
So we can say well done Ole for signings but "he wasn't backed" for the areas we didn't sign?

Talk about agenda..

Scotty McT

What is the point of a top class manager with an incompetent board? Even more laughable to think just the manager is responsible for getting results! :lol::lol::lol:
Well the previous "top" managers got us into the Champions League on several occasions with this incompetent board. Literally nobody thinks that only the manager is responsible for results but keep arguing against that strawman you've created.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
EVERYONE at the club is responsible for this s**t show. But who is the ultimate person who has the responsibility to sort this out and doesn't?

It is clear, even before Gary's comments yesterday, what is the problem. I simply don't understand how fans do not see this?!
Who are you suggesting doesn't see it? Because it's all we hear on here

red thru&thru

It would be tempting to say that many of the people who don't get it might be newer fans, or casual fans, but I think that would be a cop out. I'm not trying to be some Top Red or anything, but it does feel like the general atmosphere among United supporters has changed in recent years. In a way it's understandable. Until 8 years ago most of us had only ever known one Manchester United manager, and one type of Manchester United: the Fergie / Gill Manchester United. Fergie and Gill leaving at the same time was always going to be a massive cultural shift even if the board and owners were up to the job (which they 100% haven't been), as well as a massive cultural shock to many fans. We just don't know how to handle it.

We're used to essentially God sitting on his eternal throne. You might not always 100% agree with God, but he's been there all your life and will continue to be there, and you know that ultimately he's right more often than not, so you learn to accept it. It's just the way things are. But now God's throne is empty, and everything is in a state of flux. The board and owners certainly don't seem to know what the hell to do now that the massive personality that steered the whole club for near 30 years is gone. And we, as supporters, don't know how to be anymore either. We can't rely on Fergie knowing best, so we're questioning everything, and flailing about in a desperate bid to get back to the status quo we grew up in.

Most other football supporters are used to managers coming and going, but we aren't (you can kind of see the same thing happening at Arsenal). We're used to things working, and we're used to the occasional bad blip getting turned over in short order as Fergie rolls up his sleeves, reinvents himself once again, and conjures up another conquering side. But that's not going to happen this time, and not only is that a hard pill to swallow for many of us, it's somehow literally an incomprehensible idea.
You are absolutely correct. I think it is an educational thing. Fergie even in his own book said many times that he had to reinvent himself to keep up and be successful. Many fans just don't get this concept. Like you say, many of the fans in here are just used to Fergie and Kenyon/Gill and think this is how it should be. Frightening really. If you compare Fergie's set up to 1986 to 2013, it would be unrecognisable. He had to change, with the times.

And here lies our problem. The club hasn't evolved and got stuck in a time warp.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So we can say well done Ole for signings but "he wasn't backed" for the areas we didn't sign?

Talk about agenda..
No, we can say well done for the signings.

We can also say he was stupid to let Lukaku and Alexis go without replacing them

We can also say that he's tactically clueless and out of his depth.

We can also say that he's nowhere near the level required to manage Manchester United.

His 3 signings are the one thing people are clinging onto and they were great. But they're not enough to save him. People are starting to realise this which is why there is talk of moving him into a DOF role :lol::houllier:

red thru&thru

Well the previous "top" managers got us into the Champions League on several occasions with this incompetent board. Literally nobody thinks that only the manager is responsible for results but keep arguing against that strawman you've created.
Consistently? Which manager was that, Jose? So why did the competent board get rid of him? And is that what Manchester United are going to be happy with, just getting Champions League places?

red thru&thru

Who are you suggesting doesn't see it? Because it's all we hear on here
The 'Ole out' brigade.

Let me make myself clear here, Ole is not the man. He never was. But why was he allowed to take over as the manager? Yes it was a mistake, a string of mistakes Ed is making. Ed is in charge of the football division at the club.

If managers are not getting the results on the pitch, they deserve to get the sack. So if the overall footballing division of the club is not getting results, that person also needs to be sacked as well.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He signed AWB - prob not scouted by him
Maguire - Wanted by Jose last year
James is the only signing you can call is Oles signing.
James was bought on giggs recommendation

Scotty McT

Consistently? Which manager was that, Jose? So why did the competent board get rid of him? And is that what Manchester United are going to be happy with, just getting Champions League places?
First of all I didn't say consistently. Second of all I didn't call the board competent. In fact I called them incompetent.

Stop creating strawmen to argue against.

I wouldn't be happy with finishing 2nd or just winning the Europa League, but it's obviously a better platform to build from than finishing in the bottom half of the table which is where it looks like Ole is taking us.

Sylar

Didnt he say United are closer to the title, or more likely to win the title first compared to Liverpool?