Gary Neville Last Night

Judas

Open to offers
The 'Ole out' brigade.

Let me make myself clear here, Ole is not the man. He never was. But why was he allowed to take over as the manager? Yes it was a mistake, a string of mistakes Ed is making. Ed is in charge of the football division at the club.

If managers are not getting the results on the pitch, they deserve to get the sack. So if the overall footballing division of the club is not getting results, that person also needs to be sacked as well.
But no one is disagreeing with that? All of "Ole Out" want rid of Ed just as much, it's not a one or the other.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The class of 92 had their man and the British core of hungry players who understand united they keep rambling about. How is that working out for us?

romufc

No, we can say well done for the signings.

We can also say he was stupid to let Lukaku and Alexis go without replacing them

We can also say that he's tactically clueless and out of his depth.

We can also say that he's nowhere near the level required to manage Manchester United.

His 3 signings are the one thing people are clinging onto and they were great. But they're not enough to save him. People are starting to realise this which is why there is talk of moving him into a DOF role :lol::houllier:
All those points very valid and true.

The bottom one is fans trying to keep him when really we shouldn't. What is the point of having a DoF who will command no respect?

How is a new manager going to respect you? With the performances Ole is getting out of this team, a manager working under him will not respect him. That is the sour truth at the moment.

he made 3 really good signings but failed to assess the quality of forwards and attacking midfield and we cannot have that as a DoF either.

Lets not forget he had 6 months to assess Perreira, Lingard, Mata, Rashford, Matic, Greenwood, Gomes, Martial etc. he keeps persisting with them.

Clearly Greenwood and Gomes are not ready and the rest lack quality / fitness.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The 'Ole out' brigade.

Let me make myself clear here, Ole is not the man. He never was. But why was he allowed to take over as the manager? Yes it was a mistake, a string of mistakes Ed is making. Ed is in charge of the football division at the club.

If managers are not getting the results on the pitch, they deserve to get the sack. So if the overall footballing division of the club is not getting results, that person also needs to be sacked as well.
This is a common train of thought. As things stand, a new manager is more likely than a new CEO and should at least see us not relegated. Think that's most people's concern right now.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
All fans must know by now that the problem lies with the board and the lack of ambition to succeed on the pitch.

Ole doesn't have the squad to compete. We started the season down to bare bones and now we have around 8 players out. Its a joke that a club of united's size can go into the season with a squad as ill-equipped as ours. The senior players are past it, and the younger players are unproven and inconsistent.

That said, its obvious that the players are badly coached. And it is obvious that what Ole was referring to as a Manchester United player, that has the hunger and desire to play for this club doesn't exist in our squad. (bar McTominay and James)

The tempo is slow, the build up is pointless, defending is not coordinated, the focus is missing, there is no skill or natural goal scoring ability in this whole squad.

I don't think Ole is the main culprit, but i also cannot think of one reason he could be the right man moving forward. Our form during his first 10 (or so) games was a blessing that fell in the Glazer's lap, as they had reason to hire him, knowing that he won't make a fuss at the lack of investment or lack of coherent structure, and it was a pointless gamble based on emotion, not on pedigree and qualification. I get that fans might ask for such an appointment (maybe i did too), but the people in charge who are paid to make educated decisions shouldn't.

This whole situation is a mess that will get a whole lot worse before it gets better, and the scary thing is that so far, there is not actual desire from this club to get better.

tomaldinho1

Are you telling me that after the PSG Game, you weren't going "GIVE HIM THE JOB"?

IF you are saying that, you're a liar. Everyone wanted him made permanent at that point in time.
Last season's form my friend, read the post. We didn't wrap up for summer holidays after PSG.

We had a great rebound (which was coincidentally where Ole had the least influence FYI, Mou's exact system and players just happier and motivated. Tactically Ole said himself he changed nothing) but then we were horrendous. Post PSG our form was LLLLLWLLLDDL, to say the writing was on the wall is an understatement.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Last season's form my friend, read the post. We didn't wrap up for summer holidays after PSG.

We had a great rebound (which was coincidentally where Ole had the least influence FYI, Mou's exact system and players just happier and motivated. Tactically Ole said himself he changed nothing) but then we were horrendous. Post PSG our form was LLLLLWLLLDDL, to say the writing was on the wall is an understatement.
Did we really lose 5 in a row?! And 8 out of 9?!

Castia

What is the point of a top class manager with an incompetent board? Even more laughable to think just the manager is responsible for getting results! :lol::lol::lol:
I’m not saying the board are faultless, they’re fecking useless too. But you hire the best man for the job, Ole got Cardiff relegated with a run of results exactly like our current run and then managed Molde, fact is we hired him too early if we waited until the summer he wouldn’t be here.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
There is no doubt whatsoever Gary has taken a different tack with United managers, and I would say particularly Ole, than he has when he has criticised other teams and for me it's time to see Ole take his share of criticism. We were expecting, and indeed had been led to expect, a limited but well-drilled unit who would fight as one in a difficult season, what we have is a complete soulless mess.

That said I do think Gary makes a good point about the rock and the hard place Ole has found here, and I would also add his expertise as a pundit lends itself more to analysing football we can see on the pitch rather than speculating as to what clubs should do behind closed doors at boardroom level. It's not for Gary to give chapter and verse on backroom decisions he is not privy to, but Ole is firmly in the mix now in terms of criticism for this season.

Shark

@NotShark
Neville is as clueless as Ole and the most deluded of our fan base. No time for anything he says.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Mou's exact system and players just happier and motivated. Tactically Ole said himself he changed nothing)
This is really not true to anyone who watched those games, the players were pressing more aggressively than they ever did under Mourinho and the center backs would often break the lines with bringing the ball up the field and even playing one twos in the attacking third. The big difference between then and now is that the average quality of the squad during that run was eons better.

Matic was not a corpse, Pogba was healthy and motivated, Herrera was running his socks off in midfield and Martial, Rashford were full of confidence in attack. For all their faults, even players like Lukaku, McTominay made an impact when they had to play a reserve role.

red thru&thru

But no one is disagreeing with that? All of "Ole Out" want rid of Ed just as much, it's not a one or the other.
Several are. But yea, Ole is not the answer. But I feel that every manager is being thrown under the bus for the in-competencies of Ed and the board. The board keep getting away with their bad decisions.

red thru&thru

First of all I didn't say consistently. Second of all I didn't call the board competent. In fact I called them incompetent.

Stop creating strawmen to argue against.

I wouldn't be happy with finishing 2nd or just winning the Europa League, but it's obviously a better platform to build from than finishing in the bottom half of the table which is where it looks like Ole is taking us.
Yes, Ole is not the answer, never was. But Ed appointed him. Yet ANOTHER mistake he's made.

Ekeke

Some of what he's saying makes sense, but as per normal he's excusing the manager when clearly the manager is making poor selections

red thru&thru

I’m not saying the board are faultless, they’re fecking useless too. But you hire the best man for the job, Ole got Cardiff relegated with a run of results exactly like our current run and then managed Molde, fact is we hired him too early if we waited until the summer he wouldn’t be here.
Exactly. But who appointed Ole? Ed and his board.

The worrying thing here is, Ole has set out a plan on what the vision for the club should be, which I agree with. To be fair, I think most of our fans do. But this strategy or vision hasn't come from the board. SO what happens when they sack Ole (which they should)? Are they going to bring in a manager with a similar vision (Poch/Rose/Nagelsmann)? Or someone totally opposite (Alegri)?

Godfather

Are you telling me that after the PSG Game, you weren't going "GIVE HIM THE JOB"?

IF you are saying that, you're a liar. Everyone wanted him made permanent at that point in time.
There were still many that didn't want him. Me included. I wasn't impressed by that PSG game. We were very very lucky.

Castia

Some of what he's saying makes sense, but as per normal he's excusing the manager when clearly the manager is making poor selections
It makes me laugh because even after promotions he’s (or they being class of 92) fired managers at Salford. Yet if he had his own way I’m sure we’d still have Moyes in charge for United.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think you will find one anti ole fan who doesn't think that woody is incompetent. However having an incompetent manager as well doesn't help.

The more time pass the more im warming for allegri. If the guy could handle Berlusconi them surely he can handle woody

Godfather

Gary's logic is so flawed again. So in any profession, if one top class choice with a great CV doesn't work out you go for the worst possible option out there because hey the good ones obviously don't work? He's so clueless. Nothing he says in relation to Ole can be taken serious. In the slightest.

red thru&thru

But to be fair, who is calling out Ole? Forget the ex United brigade, which journalists or ex players from other clubs are calling out Ole?

We all know Ole isn't the man, and deep down so do the likes of Neville and Keane but when will the board be accountable for the decision making? I think this is what they're trying to do. There are countless articles and discussions in the media recently, which are calling out the root of the problem, the United board.

Hughie77

I'm getting fed up now, of Souness finaly being able to give UTD stick, it's taken him over 25yrs to be able to do it, but it's not only him now it's everyone, UTD fans more than him, G Neville being diplomatic about things, but everyone can see, the problems run deep.

From Woodward to giving Ole the job full time when most wanted a stronger manager, outside looking in most can see Ole was the easy option, he had a great start, but you could see it wasn't going to last, from past experience. Top Manager needed with ADof , and Woodward gone? Is this going to happen? Sorry G Neville, ole has to go and soon

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
Big Andy "Are you telling me that after the PSG Game, you weren't going "GIVE HIM THE JOB"?

IF you are saying that, you're a liar. Everyone wanted him made permanent at that point in time."

I must say that I thought we should wait until the end of the season and then evaluate. Zidane was available at the time, iirc, and I had been hoping we'd ask him before we got Ole. Now, however, as he has been given a permanent contract and has some good ideas, as well as being one of our legends, I back him to stay. We would have to be with a real threat of relegation for me to want him sacked particularly as the sacking of managers with worse ideas has been very disruptive.

Although I am normally a pessimist, I remain hopeful that this bunch of young players will soon come good. If not this season, then next.

Ekeke

But to be fair, who is calling out Ole? Forget the ex United brigade, which journalists or ex players from other clubs are calling out Ole?

We all know Ole isn't the man, and deep down so do the likes of Neville and Keane but when will the board be accountable for the decision making? I think this is what they're trying to do. There are countless articles and discussions in the media recently, which are calling out the root of the problem, the United board.
Well its both. We need to change from Ole in the short term, but in the long term we need to change from Woodward. I think changing Woodward in the middle of the season might backfire personally

Bulldog United

Poch would be quite happy to continue on the current path of trying to blend young British talent with a mix of overseas players. He has a proven track record of doing it. Yes he hasn’t got over the finishing line in terms of winning trophies yet, but if he became our next manager he’d finally be at a club that matched his trophy winning ambitions for the first time.

At Tottenham, he’s known to have been frustrated with Levy’s willingness to settle for CL qualification for sometime.

He has vast Premier League experience now, his teams play attractive, attacking football. And he has a good track record of finding gems and adapting them into his system. He still ticks all the boxes for me. He has taken Spurs as far as he can go. It’s time to join a real team now.

Castia

The worrying thing here is, Ole has set out a plan on what the vision for the club should be, which I agree with. To be fair, I think most of our fans do. But this strategy or vision hasn't come from the board. SO what happens when they sack Ole (which they should)? Are they going to bring in a manager with a similar vision (Poch/Rose/Nagelsmann)? Or someone totally opposite (Alegri)?

I honestly don’t know. I generally feel the squad is a blank slate so any manager at this point could build it how they wanted. Any manager can work with Ole’s signings in Maguire and AWB they were safe transfers.

It just all seems like a massive bluff. He’s getting all these young players, what the hell as he done to show he can even develope them? We keep hearing talk of young British talent? fecking hell HELLO??? when the hell has that ever worked? Why is our failing club taking an approach no other top club is taking?

it’s all an absolute joke, the players don’t even look coached, the tactics are non existent and then the results are abysmal.

romufc

Gary's logic is so flawed again. So in any profession, if one top class choice with a great CV doesn't work out you go for the worst possible option out there because hey the good ones obviously don't work? He's so clueless. Nothing he says in relation to Ole can be taken serious. In the slightest.
You keep going till you get it right and not hope that one with no tactical knowledge comes good.

Andersons Dietician

Pretty obvious he wanted Mandzukic, who would have been extremely helpful.

Also quite clear he wanted a midfielder.

He wasn't backed.
We don’t know that’s the case. Ole he said they tried for players but couldn’t get the ones they wanted. So why spend money on lesser players or players you’re not to sure about. It’s always been said if a manager wants a player and the player makes sense and is available then the money is there for it.

If we went to Lyon and were like we need a striker can we buy Dembele and Aulius turns to them and says possibly but it’ll cost you 95mil what are you going to do. Pay 35mil or more over the market value?

As for Gary, he has certain points which are correct but put across wrongly and then he just has points that are stupid.
Personally I do think their is a change in direction as you can see it in glimpses on the pitch I just think the squad is currently so poor and injury ravaged we aren’t seeing what Ole really wants to do.

We desperately need some quality in midfield and some sort of CAM.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
There is no doubt whatsoever Gary has taken a different tack with United managers, and I would say particularly Ole, than he has when he has criticised other teams and for me it's time to see Ole take his share of criticism. We were expecting, and indeed had been led to expect, a limited but well-drilled unit who would fight as one in a difficult season, what we have is a complete soulless mess.

That said I do think Gary makes a good point about the rock and the hard place Ole has found here, and I would also add his expertise as a pundit lends itself more to analysing football we can see on the pitch rather than speculating as to what clubs should do behind closed doors at boardroom level. It's not for Gary to give chapter and verse on backroom decisions he is not privy to, but Ole is firmly in the mix now in terms of criticism for this season.
Wasnt so long ago he was defending the board saying they had made a change in direction and that fans should wait and see how it goes

Apokalips

I constantly see ridiculous logic like this applied in football. Don't buy players from this club or that nation because previous ones never worked out. We've tried the proven manager route and it's not worked, etc.

Literally makes no sense and the majority of people would never apply this line of thinking to areas in their actual life, but expect United to for some reason.

Ainu

Woodward is utterly clueless about these things so the chance of our next managerial appointment being the right one isn't great. As long as he's making the footballing decisions, we're going nowhere, unless he happens to strike gold out of dumb luck. But at the same time, our current manager seems to be inept in terms of coaching and tactics. Do we persist with that just because there's a risk that the next appointment might fail, or do we want someone who's already proved himself at this level since there's a good chance he'd be significantly better at the job than Ole?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The 'Ole out' brigade.

Then stop acting like there's bees in your pants and telling everyone to calm down for wanting him gone

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Then stop acting like there's bees in your pants and telling everyone to calm down for wanting him gone
Exsctly. Were all in agreement that Woodward shouldn't in charge. But that didn't change the fact that Ole isn't fit for the job.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Agree. So many people practicing mental gymnastics to absolve Ole from accountability. Let's face it - he's been rubbish and should go.

arthurka

Nothing he says that hasn´t been said here. He is right by the way.
No matter the manager, we will get nowhere under current owners/management.
Sacking Ole won´t change a thing, but lets get Wenger in to finish this season and see if we can´t get CAF darling Poch to start something great.

red thru&thru

I honestly don’t know. I generally feel the squad is a blank slate so any manager at this point could build it how they wanted. Any manager can work with Ole’s signings in Maguire and AWB they were safe transfers.

It just all seems like a massive bluff. He’s getting all these young players, what the hell as he done to show he can even develope them? We keep hearing talk of young British talent? fecking hell HELLO??? when the hell has that ever worked? Why is our failing club taking an approach no other top club is taking?

it’s all an absolute joke, the players don’t even look coached, the tactics are non existent and then the results are abysmal.
Agree.

If Ed is to get another chance of this, yes he gets rid of Ole and brings in a proven coach. Bet it Wenger or Alegri. But this time, he can't make the same mistake as he did with Ole. He needs help, real help from actual footballing guys.

Ed has himself kept leaking out DoF stories, then in recent investors call, he says he probably won't now because of the success of this summer. The man has said performances on the pitch won't effect commercial side of things, that has been debunked. The quicker this guy stops making footballing decisions, we will be on the road to recovery.

red thru&thru

Sacking Ole won´t change a thing, but lets get Wenger in to finish this season and see if we can´t get CAF darling Poch to start something great.
Yep. But if we do indeed bring in Poch, we need a Paul Mitchell alongside him. Mitchell worked with Poch at his successful spells at Southampton and Spurs. No coincidence that when Mitchell left Spurs, the real quality of player they were recruiting under Poch stopped.

Poch hasn't worked under a set up like ours, where he calls all the shots in terms of recruitment etc. Would be a big risk.

Godfather

"A new manager won't change a thing."
Never have been words so wrong been spoken so frequently on here.