Gary Neville on United

Varun

Staff

Neville is rattled by all the flak he’s taking on Twitter re: his (non) stance on the Glazers. Very personal reply to O’Kane there, a fellow United academy graduate from the vaingloriously self-monikered ‘CO92’.
Bellend.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Maybe he just thinks that spending 145mil in one window doesn't constitute as 'shocking'?

Which compared to other teams, it isnt?
It's not occurring in a vacuum though is it?

The 2 defense positions that were invested in have been neglected for literally years under the Glazers.

And they have the wages freed of Fellaini, Rom and Herrera, and 75m from Rom's sale - yet haven't made any investment within the midfield or attack.

Neville understands this.

It would be the equivalent of never cleaning the kitchen or emptying the bins for months, and then selling your tv, and your Hifi - and then when your mates come round and notice it - telling them that you've washed half of the dishes...

The Glazers should not be commending for putting that money into Utd's defense - the money is Utd's to begin with, and they're years late in doing so - and they've failed to reinvest in the midfield or attack, so they can greedily pocket more money themselves.

Neville understands this.

JohnnyKills

His attempts to appear impartial have jumped the shark to the point where he now seems to deliberately take an anti-United stance with some topics to appear non-biased.

Also, his lack of criticism for the owners and the setup of the club suggests to me he thinks he's auditioning for a job with the club in the near future.
Yep, that's my feeling too. Also, he has the hotel near the ground and probably wants the club's endorsement so he can flog packages to visiting fans.

IrishRedDevil

G Neville: "United will win again. That's going to happen. I can guarantee you as clear as day, United will win again. They'll probably win the league before Liverpool. That’s not being disprespectful. They’re closer than you think and it’s not as bad as you think.” [Sky]

Is he bipolar?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Stay classy? That’s a brilliant response!
It's a terrible response.

O'Kane gives a good reason as to why #GlazersOut is a thing and Gary gets personal over something that happened 27 years ago, as if people can't change.

It'd be the same as saying Gary can't ever give any insight into management as he failed miserably at it.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Maybe he just thinks that spending 145mil in one window doesn't constitute as 'shocking'?

Which compared to other teams, it isnt?
That's closer to our net spend the last 18 months, rather than what we spent in the window.

And people need to understand, it isn't just about what we spend. We've spent plenty over the last 6 years. It's how it's spent, the footballing decisions being made at the club and the lack of structure that's been in place.

Maybe that's changing under Ole, I hope it it.

AshRK

Gary Neville is a hypocrite but one thing I agree with him is on Herrera. Some united fans have massively overrated him. He was decent and a passionate guy but he was no Keane or Carrick. If he was that good he would have been regular for Spain. Average midfielder who can be utilized as a squad player.

Ekeke

Gary Neville is a hypocrite but one thing I agree with him is on Herrera. Some united fans have massively overrated him. He was decent and a passionate guy but he was no Keane or Carrick. If he was that good he would have been regular for Spain. Average midfielder who can be utilized as a squad player.
Yeah its easy to get into Spain's midfield

AshRK

Yeah its easy to get into Spain's midfield
Not that difficult considering they have a past it Busquets, average Sergi Roberto, 34 year old Santi Cazorla and Dani Parejo. It is not like they still have a peak Xavi, Iniesta in that squad. Surely he can get ahead of the players they called for the recent fixture. The fact that he has just 2 caps says a lot about his quality. Average midfielder who has been massively over hyped by united fans.

Ekeke

Not that difficult considering they have a past it Busquets, average Sergi Roberto, 34 year old Santi Cazorla and Dani Parejo. It is not like they still have a peak Xavi, Iniesta in that squad. Surely he can get ahead of the players they called for the recent fixture. The fact that he has just 2 caps says a lot about his quality. Average midfielder who has been massively over hyped by united fans.
Players like Busquets still have their rep despite their declining performances. Parejo is a better on the ball midfielder than Ander but he was also one of the best CMs in la liga last season, so its hardly a bad thing.

AshRK

Players like Busquets still have their rep despite their declining performances. Parejo is a better on the ball midfielder than Ander but he was also one of the best CMs in la liga last season, so its hardly a bad thing.
So you are admitting that Herrera is inferior to these players which is why I said if he was that good like some here think then he surely would have featured more in the spain squad. Herrera as a squad player is fine but if he demands an insane salary and wants to be regular then good luck to him.

Ekeke

So you are admitting that Herrera is inferior to these players which is why I said if he was that good like some here think then he surely would have featured more in the spain squad. Herrera as a squad player is fine but if he demands an insane salary and wants to be regular then good luck to him.
I don't think anyone has suggested he's a "world class midfielder" and one of the first options for Spain?

I think you're confusing being an important player and being a top class player. The likes of Ander and Smalling were important players to United last season.

Will other players step up and be important instead of them this season? Maybe but it obviously takes more than 1 match to find out.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
G Neville: "United will win again. That's going to happen. I can guarantee you as clear as day, United will win again. They'll probably win the league before Liverpool. That’s not being disprespectful. They’re closer than you think and it’s not as bad as you think.” [Sky]

Is he bipolar?
Why do you say that?

AshRK

I don't think anyone has suggested he's a "world class midfielder" and one of the first options for Spain?

I think you're confusing being an important player and being a top class player. The likes of Ander and Smalling were important players to United last season.

Will other players step up and be important instead of them this season? Maybe but it obviously takes more than 1 match to find out.
Herrera was an important squad player and thats it. But he is easily replaceable which is what Neville is also saying. Who knows even Periera and Mctominay may outshine Herrera.

Rooney24

Speaking of FTD they are going to start charging membership of 4.99 a month now.

Slightly off topic but it just popped into my head.

Ekeke

Herrera was an important squad player and thats it. But he is easily replaceable which is what Neville is also saying. Who knows even Periera and Mctominay may outshine Herrera.
They might, but its incredibly unlikely to go from what they did last season to outshining him this season. That would be rapid unexpected development

Tuanzabe could outshine Maguire this season. Thats also unlikely and why we spent money on an expensive CB

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Not in the last squad that was called. Surely if he was that good he should atleast be above Parejo and Roberto.
It honestly depends on what the manager prioritizes. It's just not as simple as not being good enough, Roberto is more of a utility type (can cover as RB) for instance. Just as a comparison, Laporte who is probably the best french CB at the moment, doesn't get a look for France. Coaches have their reasons, Herrera wouldn't the first nor the last good player snubbed by his national team for whatever reason

AshRK

It honestly depends on what the manager prioritizes. It's just not as simple as not being good enough, Roberto is more of a utility type (can cover as RB) for instance. Just as a comparison, Laporte who is probably the best french CB at the moment, doesn't get a look for France. Coaches have their reasons, Herrera wouldn't the first nor the last good player snubbed by his national team for whatever reason
If it was one or two years then it is understandable but he has been snubbed for almost 5 to 6 years which is strange. I am not solely saying herrera is not that special because he is not playing for Spain, that is just one of the reasons. But having seen him play for us for more that 150+ games, I have not seen anything extraordinary from him. He was decent and was a good squad player to have, that's about it. He had some really good games(Chelsea 2-0) but mostly he flattered to deceive.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yes, I thought his down rating of Herrera was pathetic, Herrera was twice the player that Neville was. If Herrera was in a better team he would have fared a lot better.
Utterly utterly wrong.
Just to an embarrassing level.

G nev was our best right back in 30 years. Arguably the best premier league right back.

Herrera was solid but not even a regular in some poor teams of ours.

AshRK

Yes, I thought his down rating of Herrera was pathetic, Herrera was twice the player that Neville was. If Herrera was in a better team he would have fared a lot better.
What next, Fellaini was twice the player that Keane was.

WireMUFC

I agree with Gary, The Glazer out campaign is embarrassing, tweets by people from foreign countries who buy the shirts all the time, look at the tour.

#GlazerOut has achieved nothing and will achieve nothing. Lacks any direction at all. Toxic twitter idiots looking for new signings nothing more nothing less. They don’t actually care about the club or what the Glazers and Woodward are doing it’s so plain to see. Great turn out for that protest outside Old Trafford organised by some clown on twitter, 7 people there :lol:

The movement should be renamed “#SignFernandesGlazerOut”

Last edited:

Havak

Pokemon master
Herrera twice the player Neville was? What? :lol: Jesus Christ, read some absolute shite on here but that probably takes the biscuit.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Y'all take shit too far.... Is he feck!

Anyway, I have my own problems with Gary (mainly his boring commentary or his efforts to appear non biased) bit I don't see much wrong with what he's been saying recently....

fergosaurus

Who said he was? He doesn't have to be that level to be an important player in this United team. He just needs to be better than McTominay, Fred, Matic, Pereira - which he most certainly is.

Offsideagain

I remember when Keane and Carrick, especially Carrick, were hammered by United ‘fans’. I think all the players try their best, with the possible exception of Pogba at times, but just don’t have the talent. Without criticising players, this forum would be about 10% as big as it is.

RyRy11

Using the Spain approach is silly. Scholes struggled to get into the England team ahead of Lampard and Gerrard but most would rate him better than both.

AshRK

Using the Spain approach is silly. Scholes struggled to get into the England team ahead of Lampard and Gerrard but most would rate him better than both.
As I said in my reply to one of the posters "I am not solely saying herrera is not that special because he is not playing for Spain, that is just one of the reasons. But having seen him play for us for more that 150+ games, I have not seen anything extraordinary from him." Comparing Herrera to Scholes is a joke. Herrera was not even close to any of the past great midfielders we had but the way some fans kept on praising him and acted as if he had lost some special player is strange. He was just an average to decent midfielder who could have been kept as a squad player. I am frustrated the board did not sign a midfielder replacing Herrera but I am in no way frustrated that we let Herrera go.

AshRK

Who said he was? He doesn't have to be that level to be an important player in this United team. He just needs to be better than McTominay, Fred, Matic, Pereira - which he most certainly is.
Would I have kept Herrera ahead of Matic , ofcourse yes. But I don't blame the board for not accepting Herrera's wage demands. This is why I said not replacing herrera was a wrong decision but letting herrera go was not.

fergosaurus

Would I have kept Herrera ahead of Matic , ofcourse yes. But I don't blame the board for not accepting Herrera's wage demands. This is why I said not replacing herrera was a wrong decision but letting herrera go was not.
Fair enough, I agree with you in that case.

pacifictheme

What the absolute feck. One of the worst posts i've ever seen on the caf, and i see you doubled down on this shite later in the thread. Gary Neville was a brilliant right back, herrera was a decent midfielder.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:lol:

If Herrera was in better team, maybe he would have been on the bench. This downplaying of Neville is pathetic, just because he said there are more Herrera type players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes, he was a good squad player surrounded, as he states himself, by world class players. Herrera has more football nounce and skills than Neville who now commentates as he played with mediocrity.
He wasn't squad player, he was first choice RB for the best team in the country for more than 10 years.

AR87

Still agree with Gary that the club have learned some lessons and this summer, while not the deus ex machina we may have hoped would return us to the top did, at least to me, represent a change in how we operated. I think all the players we were heavily linked to and the ones we bought fit a common thread (lulz British) in that they're all players who are making their first genuine step up to the top level, and are hungry to establish themselves.

None of them have inflated egos, nor have the attitude that they've already made it, and are simply here because it was the best move with the best wage packet they could manage. Additionally all of them fit quite comfortably into our wage structure without threatening to destroy it and have half the squad disgruntled and looking for a pay raise like we faced in the 1.5 years after the Alexis purchase with him turning into a pumpkin.

I also would say that while not getting in a replacement for Herrera, because we seemingly only had Longstaff as a target isn't great, I think it's meaningful that they didn't just buy for the sake of buying at the 11th hour in desperation. Sometimes not buying is a better option than reaching for a less preferred target. Klopp faced exactly this criticism when he wouldn't go after any lesser, secondary CB targets in summer 2017 after the initial VVD transfer debacle. He made do with what he had and when they had another opportunity to get in their preferred target they successfully pulled the trigger.

Should Longstaff be the sole preferred candidate for that position like VVD was for Liverpool? No, I don't think so, but this is symptomatic of our overreliance on managers to dictate transfer shortlists. I think Ole and his staff provided targets they were comfortable with, with the limited leg work they likely had a chance to do heading into the summer, and didn't budge. Ideally we would actually get in a DoF/technical director who would take into consideration the attributes of player the manager wants at certain positions as well as some options, add further targets to the list who also fit the bill according to our scouts (who based on the young talent we've identified seem to be better than we've been led to believe in the transfer market) and give Woodward a more in-depth list to work with.

That final piece is where I think Woodward still deserves plenty of criticism, because it has led to us getting fixated on targets and not being able to move on when quoted an unreasonable price. Instead we have to haggle over a fee for months.

Another consideration is that I do think when it comes to "replacing Lukaku" Ole genuinely decided he preferred to promote internally with players like Greenwood, Chong, Gomes, etc. at his disposal. It's a big gamble on his part, but given what the ST options available this summer, I think it's a roll of the dice worth taking than spending big on players like Sebastien Haller, Wasim Ben Yedder, etc. That is contingent on that money still being available to use at a later date if players come available that add to our squad, which I think is the case.

As things stand I think if we'd simply got in another CM so that we weren't inevitably going to have to lean on Garner to play a decent amount of minutes out of necessity and provide some more steel in midfield, we'd all be much closer to being on the same page regarding how this summer panned out than it did. That said, I do think there were promising signs about how we operated, but more work needs to be done to improve our process before January and next summer, namely hiring a technical director to work with Ole and Butt.