Gary Neville - Pundit

M Bison

Supports
York City
Fantastic from Neville on Sky Sports, he’s spoken really well and powerfully. Big fan of Carragher usually but Neville is far superior on this subject and has conveyed his opinion and captured the mood of the masses very well.

Acole9

Outstanding
I reckon he will. Whatever you say about Gary, he is pretty passionate about football. Even Loserpool fans have agreed with his stance. How he is getting pelters on this forum is beyond me. He is United through and through, more than a lot of the parvenus that post on here that rubbish the club if they lose one game, who rubbish a player if he has one bad game. Some of you think we have a God given right to win every game and that is the attitude that drives the ESL. The ESL is going to be sold to the Far East, to the USA, who have no idea of the history of our clubs.
Spot on.

Can7onA

Take it with a pinch of salt.

They are both paid by Murdock who tried to feck football up in the early 90's.

MUFC OK

His views are a bit broader and deeper rooted than that tonight though, he’s spoken exceptionally well, he always does in my view, but tonight in particular.
Yeah he's always been impassioned, I'd personally like to have seen him speak out against the Glazers and call it as all utd fans have seen it for years. I agree with him on the ESL but my post wasn't about that.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think you can appreciate the messaging from the likes of Keane and Neville whilst also thinking Sky/Murdoch are a bunch of cnuts.
Exactly. Also, with the money in the game, is it really so bad that the players themselves get the big share of it?

Also, different people have different lines they don't want to be crossed. I suspect for most people, this ESL thing has been a step too far.

Of course it would've been good if they'd spoken up earlier, or put their weight behind the protests against the Glazers all those years ago, but better late than never.

Anyone else remember the fact that Ole was one of the few who spoke up against the Glazers back in 2005? I wonder what he privately is thinking now.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Why does he think Klopp destroyed his owners on live TV?

I thought klopps pre match interview was pretty diplomatic.
I think he exaggerated to try and get the Liverpool fans to react strongly.

I thought the Klopp interview was a massive disappointment really

chromepaxos

Gary Neville is wrong on this one...The Premier League chose to sell its soul to the Devil 25 years ago...I get that people don’t like the idea of a ESL, but lets not pretend its some heinous act committed against football. It’s a natural evolution of the direction the game has been going for a long, long time....All of Gary’s arguments are emotive. “I don’t like it, therefore it’s bad”. Not good enough I am afraid.

I have to say WE’RE all culpable as well, although I like to think Utd fans did more than most to prevent this by campaigning against the BSkyB takeover in the 90s.

...We reap what we sow.
My God, there's some confused thinking on here tonight.

So, your argument here is that Neville is wrong because this is a continuation of what went before...which was us selling our soul to the Devil...which was also wrong...and we are culpable because we didn't fight...except we did fight...so everything about this is wrong but Neville is wrong to criticize this because...er... this is actually a good thing?

Is that really your argument?

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
I agreed with something's he said, but then he got a little off point.

The way he spoke about Arsenal and Tottenham was wrong and shows his ignorance. Both clubs abided by FFP rules and haven't been any worse than United in recent years especially when one considers overall transfer outlays.

It's true though, that rivalries must be put aside and everyone involved in the game should unite to prevent this from happening.

chromepaxos

Secondly, I am highlighting that the time to fight this is long, long since over. We've all been complicit in our silence over the years as one by one the roots of the game were ripped out.
I know it is comfortable to be a cynic and sneer at people who actually care about this stuff, but the "oh, it's just a continuation of what we have seen before so we should just throw up our hands and surrender" position doesn't add much value.

Did we fight and lose in the past? Sure. Does that mean we shouldn't fight now? No.

The key to winning most wars is first and foremost to not give up.

JB7

Why does he think Klopp destroyed his owners on live TV?

I thought klopps pre match interview was pretty diplomatic.
So did I. Looking for a post reaction I assume.
I've seen a couple of people with this reaction and I feel like people are looking for far more than it was reasonable to expect.

He publicly stated that he was still opposed to the Super League, that he had not been consulted in any way and the first he heard of it was when it broke yesterday.

Those three things statements together are huge (while not necessarily surprising).

predator

Youth NITK
I've seen a couple of people with this reaction and I feel like people are looking for far more than it was reasonable to expect.

He publicly stated that he was still opposed to the Super League, that he had not been consulted in any way and the first he heard of it was when it broke yesterday.

Those three things statements together are huge (while not necessarily surprising).
I completely expected klopps interview to be like that. No way would he slate his employers and sever a potential relationship with any of the super league chairman, with his future in mind.

What I didn't expect was for Gary Neville to call it 'destroying his owners'.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
good to see gary so opposed to billionaire owners he deliberately tanked at valencia to stick it to the lims. he has some decent points, but as glenn cullen would say, i feel I'm in a therapy group being run by my own rapist.

JB7

I completely expected klopps interview to be like that. No way would he slate his employers and sever a potential relationship with any of the super league chairman, with his future in mind.

What I didn't expect was for Gary Neville to call it 'destroying his owners'.
Now we're into semantics, I'd call it "hanging them out to dry" but can see why Neville has used the terminology he has. The three main things Klopp confirmed are massive - he's essentially confirmed that he & his players are completely irrelevant to the business decisions of the owners.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Now we're into semantics, I'd call it "hanging them out to dry" but can see why Neville has used the terminology he has. The three main things Klopp confirmed are massive - he's essentially confirmed that he & his players are completely irrelevant to the business decisions of the owners.
i’m not sure that’s shedding new light on anything.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

What more do people expect from Klopp? Its fecking disgusting that hes being expected to comment on this shite at all. He condemns it publicly he is condemning his employers...on fecking game day. I swear some of you have no idea how contracts work

JB7

i’m not sure that’s shedding new light on anything.
In real terms, of course it isn't - everyone has known that for years. However managers will tell you otherwise whenever possible, how supportive the owners are and how decisions are taken with due consideration etc.

It is incredibly rare for a manager to come out publicly stating he does not agree with a decision the owners have taken, that he was not consulted in any way AND that he basically found out via the media. That's a massive hat trick.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
In real terms, of course it isn't - everyone has known that for years. However managers will tell you otherwise whenever possible, how supportive the owners are and how decisions are taken with due consideration etc.

It is incredibly rare for a manager to come out publicly stating he does not agree with a decision the owners have taken, that he was not consulted in any way AND that he basically found out via the media. That's a massive hat trick.
there’s still a fundamental lack of integrity that means any soapbox that the likes of kloop get on is fundamentally shaky due to a complete lack of foundations.

i’m no better, neither are most people. i work for a company owned by billionaires, we had a record year last year despite the pandemic. record turnover, record share prices, record profits. they used the pandemic to lay off underperforming staff, furlough whomever they could and cut costs wherever they could. employees at the company today have shown way more fight and willing to oppose “the regime” with this esl than they did when their colleagues and friends were getting butt fecked by billionaire owners. they had a chance for their voices to be heard and stayed quiet, had a chance to mobilise and make a difference with their actions, but didn’t. i didn’t. the billionaire owners are doing this because they can and in the end we will let them.

SuperiorXI

good to see gary so opposed to billionaire owners he deliberately tanked at valencia to stick it to the lims. he has some decent points, but as glenn cullen would say, i feel I'm in a therapy group being run by my own rapist.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Imagine a The Thick of It style episode set in the football world as this shite is unfolding, Malcolm Tucker playing Gary Neville.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
:lol: :lol: :lol: Imagine a The Thick of It style episode set in the football world as this shite is unfolding, Malcolm Tucker playing Gary Neville.
woodward is definitely heading up dosac.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I think people would have a bit more respect for their opinion if they were more objective. More rounded.

All three are now talking of greed. Not one has ever mentioned players wages(the real driver of all this) and their greed. Which is absurd really. Guys getting £400K a week more and more often now and zero mention of this from pundits.

They can't now start shouting about greed.
Irrelevant.

Marwood

Irrelevant.
Player wages are everything. This super league, all the other financial aspects of football fans dislike, all driven by this huge burden clubs have to meet. It's crazy.

Even the biggest clubs are struggling to keep up with this outlay, approximately 60% of turnover for ourselves.

Take a look at the debt and small profits the big clubs are experiencing. Now factor in losses due to covid. It can't continue.

I'm not defending owners or this latest idea but while pundits, who seem to have the biggest influence on public opinion, stay silent on the real greed it'll just get worse and worse.

Fans need wake up to the real problem because compromised guys like Gary Neville will never go there.

ForeverRed1

Loved what he said about united and the glazers, the stadium.
Our stadium isn’t even close to what it should be. Everything about it is behind.

Chairman Steve

Klopps comments are no different to Sir Alex’s, which is basically “I’ve opposed the idea in the past. I like the existing system. I know nothing about this move as I was not involved in it”

ZupZup

Player wages are everything. This super league, all the other financial aspects of football fans dislike, all driven by this huge burden clubs have to meet. It's crazy.

Even the biggest clubs are struggling to keep up with this outlay, approximately 60% of turnover for ourselves.

Take a look at the debt and small profits the big clubs are experiencing. Now factor in losses due to covid. It can't continue.

I'm not defending owners or this latest idea but while pundits, who seem to have the biggest influence on public opinion, stay silent on the real greed it'll just get worse and worse.

Fans need wake up to the real problem because compromised guys like Gary Neville will never go there.

The real problem is player wages? Not the parasitic owners? Give your head a massive wobble... seriously.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What more do people expect from Klopp? Its fecking disgusting that hes being expected to comment on this shite at all. He condemns it publicly he is condemning his employers...on fecking game day. I swear some of you have no idea how contracts work
Like feck if any of us here would condemning your employer that pay you 100k/wk.

Lentwood

My God, there's some confused thinking on here tonight.

So, your argument here is that Neville is wrong because this is a continuation of what went before...which was us selling our soul to the Devil...which was also wrong...and we are culpable because we didn't fight...except we did fight...so everything about this is wrong but Neville is wrong to criticize this because...er... this is actually a good thing?

Is that really your argument?
That’s not my point at all. My point is that the organisation Neville represents and who keep shoving him in-front of cameras to rant about “greed” and his “disgust” are the same organisation who helped create this mess in the first place.

I find their sanctimonious, desperate blathering to be an absolute insult to our intelligence. Irregardless of what I think of the proposed ESL.

Let’s have it right. This is rich people fighting with rich people about who gets to rip us off. That is exactly why I gave up my ST and haven’t bought a single piece of merchandise in must be ten years plus now. Neither do I pay for Sky or BT. Not that any of it matters because I am replaceable and irrelevant to them.

Chairman Steve

I noticed that he used ‘parked weasels’ tonight in his opening monologue. After his use of ‘bottle merchants’ yesterday, I hope thats another inadvertent term used :lol:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He’s just described City’s owners/what they’ve done as “awe-inspiring.”