Gary Neville - Pundit

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's hilarious how so many on here think they genuinely love the club more than Gary Neville :lol:
It's just not long ago, most in here loved the Club more than Ole. While Gary Neville...
It's hilarious, isn't it?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I am sure Ragnick knew fitness levels of Pogba, Ronaldo, Rashford, etc. from Germany and picked his side based on that. Because people usually run a football team on phone calls.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I am sure Ragnick knew fitness levels of Pogba, Ronaldo, Rashford, etc. from Germany and picked his side based on that. Because people usually run a football team on phone calls.
So why was Darren Fletcher wearing earphones then? Hmmm?

Amar__: defeated with facts and logic.

We've been doing this in every game for years, we have people high up above the pitch in the stands. It used to be Carrick with the earphones but he's now manager so somebody else had to do it.

This whole Ole episode has completely ruined Neville's credibility as a pundit.

crossy1686

career ending
It's hilarious how so many on here think they genuinely love the club more than Gary Neville :lol:
It tends to be the United fans that like to attack other United fans if they don't share the same opinion. If it's not Neville they're attacking, it's Keane or another ex United player who dares to have a different opinion to their's on a player or managers ability. When they're not attacking pundits they're in these threads attacking other posters for the same reason.

Superden

i find it rather odd that having interviewed for the job last week that RR would not have some thoughts on the players prior to be officially announced

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Does anybody else think Nev has stagnated as a pundit? When he came onto the scene he was very fresh and keen to impart interesting analysis whenever possible, usually on Monday Night Football with the big iPad.

Over the past few years he's been riding on that initial success and hasn't offered much new in terms of analysis. The whole United Furore/Super League thing seemed to turn him more into a bit of caricature, somebody to wheel in for a hot take.

I'd really like to think there's another step - another evolution to G Nev but he's not helping.

Last edited:

LJJT

So why was Darren Fletcher wearing earphones then? Hmmm?

found this interesting what a big deal was made of this yesterday. Some one on our bench always has a head phone in, it was always carrick when ole was manager and last two games fletcher. Assume it’s an analyst not RR

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
I felt the same watching Neville spout the same drivel. Would sooner watch Carragher and his whiny voice for 10 mins than Neville for 2. In fact Richards is probably the most unbiased pundit they have.
Flex has a good channel.
United View

Here's the preview of this week's Arsenal match with Robbie (Both have been on the Goldberg show)

Josh 76

Does anybody else think Nev has stagnated as a pundit? When he came in he was very fresh and keen to impart interesting analysis whenever possible, usually on Monday Night Football with the big iPad. Over the past few years though he's been riding on that initial success and hasn't been offering anything new in his post-match analysis. The whole United Furore/Super League thing has turned him more into the visual equivalent of a Sunday Mail columnist.

I'd really like to think there's another step - another evolution to G Nev but he's not helping.
Totally agree with you. Some of the things he says are laughable now.

cyril C

Ranknick is currently in Moscow. He probably make his pick based on FIFA data, and team sheet prediction from Sun.

wolvored

Does anybody else think Nev has stagnated as a pundit? When he came in he was very fresh and keen to impart interesting analysis whenever possible, usually on Monday Night Football with the big iPad. Over the past few years though he's been riding on that initial success and hasn't been offering anything new in his post-match analysis. The whole United Furore/Super League thing has turned him more into the visual equivalent of a Sunday Mail columnist.

Yes. I think he thinks everyone takes what he says as gospel truth and hangs on his every word. He is getting more extreme in some of his views, which in turn is turning him into a laughing stock

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The problem with (British) EPL former players becoming pundits is that they are terrified to burn bridges with their mates who are still in football. Many mention Gaz and how he defended Ole but Keane had turn his views 180 degrees when the argument shifted on Ronaldo. All the talks of players having to respect the manager and having to work hard for the team was gone.
Carragher is currently looking great because his club is doing so well at the moment so there's not really much to criticise them for however many still remember Carragher's 'Gerrard was better then Scholes' one man crusade few years ago. If Gerrard succeeds Klopp and do badly there then I expect Carragher to become the next Gary Neville.

Its shocking how incredibly thin skinned football people are in the EPL. That's not good for their development. Italy has some of the most brutal football critics in the world and their national team keeps winning major honours. That's because its normal for these players to be heavily scrutinised and work under intense pressure.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The problem with (British) EPL former players becoming pundits is that they are terrified to burn bridges with their mates who are still in football. Many mention Gaz and how he defended Ole but Keane had turn his views 180 degrees when the argument shifted on Ronaldo. All the talks of players having to respect the manager and having to work hard for the team was gone.
Carragher is currently looking great because his club is doing so well at the moment so there's not really much to criticise them for however many still remember Carragher's 'Gerrard was better then Scholes' one man crusade few years ago. If Gerrard succeeds Klopp and do badly there then I expect Carragher to become the next Gary Neville.

Its shocking how incredibly thin skinned football people are in the EPL. That's not good for their development. Italy has some of the most brutal football critics in the world and their national team keeps winning major honours. That's because its normal for these players to be heavily scrutinised and work under intense pressure.
Agreed.

Really what Gary Neville did for Ole is not too different than what he did for Harry Kane. Fundamentally, I don't hate him for it. I would also be less inclined to publicly attack my mates than people I don't know.

However, all the people kissing Carragher's feet for his honesty need to understand he'll be doing the same for Gerrard. The advantage he's had is, as you point out, Liverpool are at their best moment in decades. Recently won the European Cup, recently won the league, a team that is winning many more games than its not. In this moment there's not much for Carragher to criticise.

Tarrou

I don't think he means physically how would Rangnick communicate.

He means how could he pick the team and tactics without taking a single training session.
Yeah I know, I was being pedantic sorry

but we actually did play a system more akin to Rangnick's ways (split strikers, false nine and high press), so whilst I agree he couldn't pick the entire team and tactics, it's not impossible that he had some influence

devilish

Agreed.

Really what Gary Neville did for Ole is not too different than what he did for Harry Kane. Fundamentally, I don't hate him for it. I would also be less inclined to publicly attack my mates than people I don't know.

However, all the people kissing Carragher's feet for his honesty need to understand he'll be doing the same for Gerrard. The advantage he's had is, as you point out, Liverpool are at their best moment in decades. Recently won the European Cup, recently won the league, a team that is winning many more games than its not. In this moment there's not much for Carragher to criticise.
I really don't get it. Pundits are there to do a job and that is to analyse the game in an honest and correct way. A pundit who let 'friendship', 'morals' and similar BS cloud his judgement is doing a disservice to his employers, his fans and the paying customers who are watching him. In the past I've seen pundits like Boban, Adani and Sacchi engaging into some nasty debates with the likes of Galliani, Conte, Allegri and Ibra. That doesn't mean that they believe that these people are shit or that they lack respect towards them as people.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I really don't get it. Pundits are there to do a job and that is to analyse the game in an honest and correct way. A pundit who let 'friendship', 'morals' and similar BS cloud his judgement is doing a disservice to his employers, his fans and the paying customers who are watching him. In the past I've seen pundits like Boban, Adani and Sacchi engaging into some nasty debates with the likes of Galliani, Conte, Allegri and Ibra. That doesn't mean that they believe that these people are shit or that they lack respect towards them as people.
You just have to price it in.

Neville was fairly up front about our tactical shortcomings, lack of identity, lack of a plan, the fact we would be exposed as soon as we played a good team. The fact that he wouldn't finish that by saying its all Ole's fault and he needs to go is by the by to me.

At the end of the day we're only human. I'm not going to lose my head because a guy doesn't go in studs up on a close friend.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

He’s all thematics and dramatics now. When he first came on I remember he had a very nuanced piece on diving which showed a level of punditry Sky didn’t have for a while, then he ended up jumping the shark with his weird obsessions on goalkeepers constantly doing wrong and backing managers until they’re wheeled out on a death bed.

devilish

You just have to price it in.

Neville was fairly up front about our tactical shortcomings, lack of identity, lack of a plan, the fact we would be exposed as soon as we played a good team. The fact that he wouldn't finish that by saying its all Ole's fault and he needs to go is by the by to me.

At the end of the day we're only human. I'm not going to lose my head because a guy doesn't go in studs up on a close friend.

That might be fair if only he didn't go in two footed and studs up on the players instead. That's the problem with being biased. Someone will end up having to pick the tab instead. In this case he couldn't blame it on matey Ole, matey Phelan and matey Carrick so he went tough on the players.

Marwood

Yeah I know, I was being pedantic sorry

but we actually did play a system more akin to Rangnick's ways (split strikers, false nine and high press), so whilst I agree he couldn't pick the entire team and tactics, it's not impossible that he had some influence
We have played that way before though under Ole/Carrick

Marwood

Does anybody else think Nev has stagnated as a pundit? When he came onto the scene he was very fresh and keen to impart interesting analysis whenever possible, usually on Monday Night Football with the big iPad.

Over the past few years he's been riding on that initial success and hasn't offered much new in terms of analysis. The whole United Furore/Super League thing seemed to turn him more into a bit of caricature, somebody to wheel in for a hot take.

I think you're overplaying the weight and depth of punditry. It's just a bloke talking about football and after a decade he will have said everything there is to say. There's no evolution going to be happening.

Stig

Not when it came to Ole.

That special nugget of Neville - "United have already tried big name managers so why go down that path again." - was utterly illogical. He was a sh*t manager and he is a sh*t pundit because he can't objectively assess United's situation. He can't be taken seriously again.
But isn't that exactly what we have done ? We haven't gone for a big name manager. We've taken a very different route. So what he said has played out and the majority seem to be excited by this change of direction at the club.

passtheball

But isn't that exactly what we have done ? We haven't gone for a big name manager. We've taken a very different route. So what he said has played out and the majority seem to be excited by this change of direction at the club.
It's not even clear what we are doing right now - we have only appointed an interim until the end of the season. We could yet go for Poch who is a big name among the available managers. No other big name (Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel) are available. Conte was the only exception - but one example is not a pattern, and passing on him might have been the wrong decision.

Anyway, my point is about Neville's logic, or lack thereof - that since we made a failed big name appoinment in the past, we should no longer make big name appointments. That is utter stupidity.

Last edited: