Gary Neville

GlasgowCeltic

For once, Neville wasn't even the worst commentator on our game.

Dunno who it is, but the main comm on Sky barely contained himself from doing cartwheels all second half.
think it was Bill Leslie, he tends to go heavy in favour of whoever the perceived underdog is

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Gary on Sky and Gary away from Sky are very different. Away from Sky he's reasonable.

On Sky he's an insufferable hysterical dramatic twat.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Gary on Sky and Gary away from Sky are very different. Away from Sky he's reasonable.

Agreed. They're playing characters.

Roy Keane is just a rent-a-quote.

Carragher there to play to the populist ABU narrative you'd hear down the pub.

Micah there to offer nothing and fake laugh.

Etc.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
When will some of you realise this is football forum and some people just come to vent here and have some discussion, and hardly anyone would use live television for that like Gary Neville is doing?
And you don’t think most of us would go absolutely the same if we could?

I can’t believe some of the bile Im reading in here towards an absolute United man through and through. He criticises the players so gets called names such as “dickhead” or “twat”. He’s a paid analyst, what do people think he’s gonna do? He’s doing what you lot do here on a football forum when you all share your expert opinions with the rest of us.

golden_blunder

Staff
Why the feck did he go on about Hannibal the whole half who made 2 fouls, the second where he didn't even get a talking to, and stayed out of trouble the rest of it. Does he want him not to even try to win the ball back at 2 down
Come on he made more than 2 fouls, every challenge he made was right on the edge. Daresay he’d have been sent off at some point had he not been subbed

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Come on he made more than 2 fouls, every challenge he made was right on the edge. Daresay he’d have been sent off at some point had he not been subbed
First one wasn't really a yellow though.

Neville is just a theatrical cnut, and an overwhelmingly biased pundit. If Maguire did that he'd talk about caution all the same but bemoan bad luck and unfortunate circumstance on the first foul.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's a reach.
He certainly goes out of his remit. The guy is a practically a self proclaimed fraud of a manager often praising proper coaches for believing in their system no matter what.

He then goes out on commentary about how ten hag should do 3 at the back to jump-start the team.

Hes just an all round idiot really.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

I can’t believe some of the bile Im reading in here towards an absolute United man through and through. He criticises the players so gets called names such as “dickhead” or “twat”. He’s a paid analyst, what do people think he’s gonna do? He’s doing what you lot do here on a football forum when you all share your expert opinions with the rest of us.
He’s a Sky man through and through.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Basically...

Random Caf Poster - "I can't believe Gary Neville called us shit! What a wanker."

Same Poster in a different thread - "God we're so shit"

golden_blunder

Staff
He certainly goes out of his remit. The guy is a practically a self proclaimed fraud of a manager often praising proper coaches for believing in their system no matter what.

He then goes out on commentary about how ten hag should do 3 at the back to jump-start the team.

Hes just an all round idiot really.
I don’t think that’s true at all

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
That's a reach.
I have respect for what he's achieved overall in his career, during football as a sportsperson, and since then, both in punditry and business. I even respect him going out of his comfort zone and failing at Valencia, and not being shy about owning up to his failures - it's more than most of the other con artists he shares air waves with have ever done.

I think he's somewhat intelligent in that he's maximised his potential generally speaking and made a great living out of it.

The issue is he thinks he knows everything, has an opinion about everything, and wants everyone to know what he has to say. Sports, football tactics, management, club ownership, politics, society... he knows it all and he speaks with the confidence of someone that doesn't know the limits of what they should be speaking about. Which doesn't discredit everything he says - he makes very good points about a variety of topics. But he also talks a massive amount of bullshit about many other ones - and because he speaks of them with the same level of confidence as the topics he actually understands, it's up to the viewer/listener to be astute in catching the bullshit.

Velvet Revolver

Having thoughts live vs a podcast/on-demand video is probably different? You an be calm and composed in the latter but talking live when you see all this nonsense on the pitch you are more emotional?

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Could it be because Sky gives them a high level script that they need to follow?
There's no script where he goes into hysterical overdrive whilst commentating. I mean last season he was saying Bruno wanted to be subbed off in the 7-0 vs Liverpool when that was clearly made up nonsense. The guy makes his own script up as he goes along.

Just last week he was blaming Bruno for Antony lashing out at Duku. The guy's a typical melodramatic RedCaf user. Here it's palatable (just), on Sky when he's bleating every week it's insufferable.

Having thoughts live vs a podcast/on-demand video is probably different? You an be calm and composed in the latter but talking live when you see all this nonsense on the pitch you are more emotional?
Other commentators and pundits are able to make (relatively) level headed takes. Why can't he?

I think generally, football punditry and analysis is on a downwards trend.

Neville and Carragher were a breath of fresh air when they were really taking plays apart in the studio and providing insight that an average viewer wouldn't get 10 or so years ago, but they're levels away from that now.

LARulz

Could it be because Sky gives them a high level script that they need to follow?
No, working in that sector, it doesn't happen especially for people like that. He wields a lot of power himself. He and others would be told not to discuss certain legal issues (Greenwood etc.) but will not be told to build up something

Velvet Revolver

There's no script where he goes into hysterical overdrive whilst commentating. I mean last season he was saying Bruno wanted to be subbed off in the 7-0 vs Liverpool when that was clearly made up nonsense. The guy makes his own script up as he goes along.

Just last week he was blaming Bruno for Antony lashing out at Duku. The guy's a typical melodramatic RedCaf user. Here it's palatable (just), on Sky when he's bleating every week it's insufferable.

Other commentators and pundits are able to make (relatively) level headed takes. Why can't he?

I think generally, football punditry and analysis is on a downwards trend.

Neville and Carragher were a breath of fresh air when they were really taking plays apart in the studio and providing insight that an average viewer wouldn't get 10 or so years ago, but they're levels away from that now.
I agree, i was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
you can clearly see the bias in this too. All British players ( Rashford, Mct, Sancho, Maguire) are doing their best but the likes of Bruno and Casemiro cannot do anything right. Just because he is not dramatic doesn't change what his thoughts are.
He says Bruno is world class and our best player. Just that he doesn't think captaincy suits him.

FrantikChicken

you can clearly see the bias in this too. All British players ( Rashford, Mct, Sancho, Maguire) are doing their best but the likes of Bruno and Casemiro cannot do anything right. Just because he is not dramatic doesn't change what his thoughts are.
What are you on about? He literally says Fernandes is our most talented player and would get in any United team in history :lol:

his point about him not fitting captain is totally valid

flameinthesun

There definitely is a difference in language with this crop of players "they are not toxic", "not the type to down tools" etc etc when this set of players are no different and doing the same things as those in the season when Ole got sacked. There is a valid point that now that the light is being shone on the likes of Rashford, Sancho, Maguire, Mctominay there is less talk of throwing the manager under the bus etc when they are doing the exact same things.

Dr. StrangeHate

He's a fan, not a cheerleader like some in here want him to be.
That's true, I want him to be like the cheerleader Liverpool pundits and commentators on TV. Savage for example I love to listen to because he is very biased towards us. Problem is there are very few people like Savage who are so open in their bias.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
We made 16 fouls in the game and Hannibal made 2. First he got booked, second he didn't even get a talking to from I could see. He made the same number of fouls as Anthony Martial and less than Mason Mount. I assume his reputation doesn't help him that it makes people nervous and then you had the like of Neville probably for the same reason going on about him the whole game when he was in fact pulling out of challenges like for the first goal.

padr81

Supports
Man City
That's true, I want him to be like the cheerleader Liverpool pundits and commentators on TV. Savage for example I love to listen to because he is very biased towards us. Problem is there are very few people like Savage who are so open in their bias.
Liverpool pundits have only gotten like that in the last few years, for a long time before that, they were consistently savaging Liverpool harder than other clubs too etc.. (except for maybe Phil Thompson who is both a wanker and an idiot). If Liverpool hit the level of mediocrity United have Carragher and co's tune would change, if United got back to the top so would Nevilles. Neville wouldn't be so harsh on United after the derby regardless of score, if he wasn't hurt because its so common for this team to roll over and have its belly tickled the last few years combined with multiple decent runs/false dawns.

Dan_F

So it’s not just United player’s that he seems to be wanting red cards for.