Gay footballers | Czech Republic international Jakub Jankto comes out as gay

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I may be very naive but I don’t think there’ll be major abuse. Or at least any more than is shouted at football matches already. The groundswell of public opinion will be supportive and he will have loads of opportunities to move the public discourse along, in much the same way as Rashford has. Plus, though I’m sure it won’t factor into his thinking, there will be huge opportunities to monetise this if he’s inclined.
nah. itll ruin are game. i would of thought the fa will have to implement quarters instead of halfs as the gays won’t be able to go a whole 45 minutes without stopping and discussing there feelings. theyll demand the ball is made pink and the goals circular to soften the aesthetics and add more balance to the pitch. clubs will have to trade players for potpuree instead of money. instead of a minutes silence for are troops on remembrance sunday they’ll be a minute of sobbing and everyone in the ground will have to post it on instagram or a bent steward will throw you out of the ground. each goal will be greeted with techno music and kick offs will be moved to 2am as the gays like to stay out late at night. all this is only happening because people are considering voting for starmer.

phelans shorts

Why is it seemingly "easier" for women footballers to come out as gay, and even date their teammates, then it is for males to do likewise??

For example, hypothetically speaking here, what would be so wrong if Shaw and Sancho were to date each other??

We have had a gay manager in charger of our women's team in Casey, and gay players such as Amy Turner, yet nothing seemingly on the same level with regards to the men's team, it is very odd to have such a huge contrast at the same club.
It’s a massive sociological thing where sports are seen as masculine, and for generations gay men were characterised as “not real men” and not capable of being “manly” which kinda bleeds into the being involved in sport = not feminine so much more likely to have a chunk of gay participants. There’s also the societal thing of women (in large) being more accepting of peoples differences
Because Lesbians are hot!
feck off, stop being a prick.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Why is it seemingly "easier" for women footballers to come out as gay, and even date their teammates, then it is for males to do likewise??

For example, hypothetically speaking here, what would be so wrong if Shaw and Sancho were to date each other??

We have had a gay manager in charger of our women's team in Casey, and gay players such as Amy Turner, yet nothing seemingly on the same level with regards to the men's team, it is very odd to have such a huge contrast at the same club.
Because the assholes making it impossible for gay players to come out, don’t give a shit about womens football anyway. That’s not even a sport in their mind. So why even bother with „protecting“ it from the gays?

BerryBerryShrew

It’s a massive sociological thing where sports are seen as masculine, and for generations gay men were characterised as “not real men” and not capable of being “manly” which kinda bleeds into the being involved in sport = not feminine so much more likely to have a chunk of gay participants. There’s also the societal thing of women (in large) being more accepting of peoples differences

I think that the bolded is part of the reason why the type of player to come out could be significant. For example, Gareth Thomas was the first openly gay rugby player and he was an absolutely fearless warrior of a player (he captained Wales and is one of their most capped players). It meant that nobody could use the "effeminate" stereotype which probably helped the perception of gay players within the game. For example, if Vidic was gay it would probably have helped the perception of gay people whereas if a young Ronaldo had come out as gay, not so much as he has perceived as a bit of a diving stepover aficionado.

Red Rash

Another thing to consider is that a lot of footballers probably don't want their personal lives out in the public domain.The first footballer who openly comes out will have huge press attention and a big deal will be made of their life.

I think generally the world is a lot more accepting of gay people and although there will inevitably be some abuse from the minority of idiots, I think the majority of fans will not have any issues with it.

phelans shorts

I think that the bolded is part of the reason why the type of player to come out could be significant. For example, Gareth Thomas was the first openly gay rugby player and he was an absolutely fearless warrior of a player (he captained Wales and is one of their most capped players). It meant that nobody could use the "effeminate" stereotype which probably helped the perception of gay players within the game. For example, if Vidic was gay it would probably have helped the perception of gay people whereas if a young Ronaldo had come out as gay, not so much as he has perceived as a bit of a diving stepover aficionado.
Oh 100%, and Thomas would absolutely be an example of a very positive representation in male sports for gay players. Not that it should make a difference, but I do agree

ShinjiNinja26

It’s a fecking joke pal settle down.

MUW4Eva

Because the assholes making it impossible for gay players to come out, don’t give a shit about womens football anyway. That’s not even a sport in their mind. So why even bother with „protecting“ it from the gays?
Women's football is definitely leading the way in this area, and has been for years, if not decades.

I honestly don't see any issues as to what difference who a person is dating or loves makes to their on field performances, it certainly didn't for Amy Turner whilst she was with us, that was for sure, as she was an excellent player.

Those people who have issues with gay players just need to watch her in action, to see that who a player loves is meaningless to their on field performances.

Men's football for sure, could learn sooooooooooooo much from women's football in this area.

Tarrou

because we live in a patriarchy and straight men don’t mind thinking about lesbians having sex so much

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Woman's football has a different audience and one that is more tolerant in some respects.

Football to some extent still has problems with race even if English football is not as racist as it was 30 years ago.

It's hard to gauge how homophobic English football is: you have the match going fans at stadiums. How much do they are about sexuality now?

Then there's the wider British public of football fans: is this something that would be big issue for a significant proportion? There's still a lot of casual bigotry in British society.

Finally there's the worldwide fanbase who mainly engage in the sport through online platforms. This might be the biggest source of bigotry either domestically or abroad due to the anonymous nature of platforms like Twitter.

Manncunian

The fact this is even a thread is a joke in itself, like a person’s sexuality affects the game. Get a grip.

Why don’t we have a “Black Footballers” thread? This is why society is ridiculous.

Tarrou

The fact this is even a thread is a joke in itself, like a person’s sexuality affects the game. Get a grip.

Why don’t we have a “Black Footballers” thread? This is why society is ridiculous.
Struggling to figure out what you’re angry about here

that fact we live in a homophobic society or the fact people are discussing it?

Dan_F

Christ. I don’t even know where to start. That’s such a strange equivalence to make considering the amount of discussion we have about race in football.

And guess why there’s far more BAME players now, because it was openly discussed in society and racism is no longer just swept under the carpet for the most part. Homophobia definitely is at football.

So you can think society is ridiculous for needing to discuss these things, but it’s more ridiculous to pretend everything is okay and it’s perfectly normal for there to be no openly gay professional footballers in the professional leagues.

MUW4Eva

Woman's football has a different audience and one that is more tolerant in some respects.

Football to some extent still has problems with race even if English football is not as racist as it was 30 years ago.

It's hard to gauge how homophobic English football is: you have the match going fans at stadiums. How much do they are about sexuality now?

Then there's the wider British public of football fans: is this something that would be big issue for a significant proportion? There's still a lot of casual bigotry in British society.

Finally there's the worldwide fanbase who mainly engage in the sport through online platforms. This might be the biggest source of bigotry either domestically or abroad due to the anonymous nature of platforms like Twitter.
What is the different audience that you think women's football has (no malice at all intended, just genuinely curious to try to gauge where you are coming from here with this comment)??

Women's football is still football being played at the very highest of levels on a world wide stage, in front of millions of people, especially when it comes to World Cups.

So I don't see why it seems to be "easier" to admit that you are gay if you are a woman and play football, then it is for a man doing likewise.

The era of people thinking that it is somehow wrong or not right is thankfully well and truly over, only neanderthals stuck in the dark ages would have any issues with it.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Why is this an issue? Well, it should not be an issue and to many it isn't. The reason it can be an issue is because certain % of fans are ridiculously homophobic (As a subset of society are too) as well as a lot of the world being majorly so. For example if a player was gay, it's obviously not a problem to a lot of their fellow players but imagine a contingent of players from a homophobic background (Maybe as an example - a club has about 5 or 6 players from a less tolerant country/background) then it becomes a problem because those players make it so. It would need a strong enough manager that he would back the one player over the 5 or 6 players who may be starters if they were going to either be toxic to this teammate or ignore him completely (Which I have both seen examples of myself being around high level sports environments, eg a coach in this situation declared his team a "No gay zone" and kicked a player from the team without repocusion).

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I may be very naive but I don’t think there’ll be major abuse. Or at least any more than is shouted at football matches already. The groundswell of public opinion will be supportive and he will have loads of opportunities to move the public discourse along, in much the same way as Rashford has. Plus, though I’m sure it won’t factor into his thinking, there will be huge opportunities to monetise this if he’s inclined.
You're being very naive no offence.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I feel like we've had a lot of stories of players being about to come out. Possibly not one before with a short time frame, I'm not sure. I'll be excited if it happens.

Jam

Sociological reasoning mainly I presume of sports being masculine, and in the case of certain sports like football massively so, from professional all the way down to grass roots. A lot of youth or small-time local female teams have lesbian players. The woman's game has been built upwards with that foundation of inclusion and there hasn't had to be any changes.

Plus consider the historical ingrained misogyny from male viewers. Woman A and Woman B together is "hot", Male A and Male B together is "disgusting" - being a view point a lot of knuckle draggers have. Whereas traditionally women (the viewers as well as team mates) are more progressive and inclusive.

It's been positive seeing inclusion steadily increasing in the male game from the grass roots upwards and we're now long overdue active players at the highest level to shed the cloak and not have to live a lie.

I'm under no illusion it'll be difficult, there'll be an outpouring of public support for them but they'll get dogs abuse from the terraces and it'll take a few years and a few gay players for that to gradually be stamped out as homosexuality in the game gets normalized.

What has always shocked me is that we haven't really had any top level players get "outed" by the media or other people involved in the game, which in a way is nice. If they haven't chosen to divulge their personal life then they shouldn't have to do so and if other people have known have protected them that's quite positive and accepting.

MUW4Eva

This is two of the best players on the planet just casually kissing each other, and not having a care in the world who sees it, as they are in a committed relationship, now why can't this happen in the men's game??

Imagine say if Mbappe and Kane were to just kiss each other, and show their support to each other, as these two do, would their be anything odd or out of place about that??

Not for me, and I wouldn't understand anyone who would sag otherwise.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Imagine say if Mbappe and Kane were to just kiss each other, and show their support to each other, as these two do, would their be anything odd or out of place about that??
Well, I'd say it'd come as a bit of a shock to Alicia Aylies and Katie Goodland, but not sure why anyone else should give a shit.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Christ. I don’t even know where to start. That’s such a strange equivalence to make considering the amount of discussion we have about race in football.

And guess why there’s far more BAME players now, because it was openly discussed in society and racism is no longer just swept under the carpet for the most part. Homophobia definitely is at football.

So you can think society is ridiculous for needing to discuss these things, but it’s more ridiculous to pretend everything is okay and it’s perfectly normal for there to be no openly gay professional footballers in the professional leagues.
It's not surprising at all, it's classic rethorics used by the right wing, "there's no problem, you're creating the problem by talking about it. Why black lives matter, we don't have white lives matter" blabla, insert standard whataboutism, blabla.

Dante

Average bang

Far more black players. Racism is still alive and well for other racial minorities in football, particularly British South Asian.

MUW4Eva

Well, I'd say it'd come as a bit of a shock to Alicia Aylies and Katie Goodland, but not sure why anyone else should give a shit.
It was just a hypothetical example of two high profile players playing in two different leagues, that was all.

It is all really odd to me, that male football languishes so far behind women's football in this aspect, I don't personally see why there are not a lot of gay male players that are open about it.

I think it would be fine, there certainly wasn't any issues when we had a gay manager of our club, in Casey Stoney, nor when we played a gay player in Amy Turner, so why should the same not be the case in our male team?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Because Lesbians are hot!
Flagged as an inappropriate joke but I actually think the perception is true enough as a psychological thing.

I'd posit that women are more socially accepted for liking women than men liking men. It's also much easier for a straight woman to say they find another woman attractive than a straight man saying that about another man.

Because of historical perceptions and portrayals by straight men in power - 'lesbians = hot, gay men = ew'

I have no factual basis for this thought though.

MUW4Eva

Flagged as an inappropriate joke but I actually think the perception is true enough as a psychological thing.

I'd posit that women are more socially accepted for liking women than men liking men. It's also much easier for a straight woman to say they find another woman attractive than a straight man saying that about another man.

Because of historical perceptions and portrayals by straight men in power - 'lesbians = hot, gay men = ew'

I have no factual basis for this thought though.
I have seen plenty of other men say that for example Becks is a very attractive man, or similar with Maldini, or Totti, so not sure that point is true, (perhaps you haven't seen anyone say such things, if so, fair enough).

I get where you are coming from, but I think times have changed dramatically, if two men kiss now, where is the big deal??

It might very well have been "ewwwwww" to see two men holding hands, kissing etc, but now in 2022, nahh, it is just as normal as seeing two women holding hands or kissing.