Gay footballers | Czech Republic international Jakub Jankto comes out as gay

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I agree, but unfortunately there are gay people who do a lot of things for shock value alone, and that does no favors for the gay community. But this criticism coming from me is quickly dismissed as homophobia. Unless the criticism comes from the gay people, against using sexuality as a social weapon, we'll keep seeing this tug of war, and guess what, the gay side of the rope is weaker.
I'm all for equality but this SJW bullshit is not about equality, it's about war, and it's a war that the minorities being used as sheep for political and ideological reasons will find they can't win.
Unfortunately there's a lot of "in your face" stuff coming from the gay camp. It's hard to take two steps without seeing a rainbow forced down everyone's throats, often out of context. Frankly, it's annoying. I'm sure even a lot of gays find it annoying.
That's just my two pence. Don't call the British police, please, I know that they knock on your door if you express your opinion on the internet.
The gay camp :lol: couldn't make it up.

This is one of the worst posts I've ever read on here.
Feel like that for a few posts in this thread.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Perhaps I'm naive to the likely abuse a gay footballer would receive, but what verbal abuse would bother a homosexual person if they were comfortable in their own skin and comfortable with their sexuality?

Being called homophobic names wouldn't bother me any more than being called ugly or fat or ginger or lanky or shit or whatever else. I'd also expect a lot of support from a large majority of the footballing community. I think I'd find it harder to live a lie than receive the abuse, but I guess it's not something to be judged without being in that position.

It's only an issue because it's being built up and made into one, and this guy/hoax hasn't helped the next guy that considers coming out.
Do you feel the same about racial abuse? I'm sure Raheem Sterling is perfectly comfortable in his skin but still gets bothered when he has abuse thrown at him.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
it was rhetorical because I know there are no openly gay footballers in the UK
You can keep changing the point of discussion if you like.

On one hand you want gays to come out for the good of gaykind...
On the other you want them outed on the internet if they don’t do what you want?

There are plenty of openly gay footballers in the uk. I’m sorry if they’re not parading themselves in front of cameras and subjecting themselves to Daily Mail articles for you.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
Funny thing is that if I were asked to do a “Top 5” list of players who could be closet homosexuals, Rakitic would be on that list.
He's Eastern European, though. I don't want to be guilty of generalising, as I'm quite that there are many enlightened Eastern Europeans, but how many times have we seen racism in football in this part of the world? So it's not that surprising to me that he would be bigoted in this way. I just wasn't aware of what he'd said.

Tarrou

On the other you want them outed on the internet if they don’t do what you want?

There are plenty of openly gay footballers in the uk. I’m sorry if they’re not parading themselves in front of cameras and subjecting themselves to Daily Mail articles for you.
You're weird.

I never said any of that.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He's Eastern European, though. I don't want to be guilty of generalising, as I'm quite that there are many enlightened Eastern Europeans, but how many times have we seen racism in football in this part of the world? So it's not that surprising to me that he would be bigoted in this way. I just wasn't aware of what he'd said.
He's Swiss, born and raised and moved to Germany in his late teens.

He plays for Croatia due to ancestry and talked shit about gay people because he is a moron.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Guys. Get a goddamn life. You do realise that at least half the problem with the “Gay footballers should come out” angle is the fact that halfwits need to weaponise the whole topic.

If you really want to know which footballers are gay, go to an area of the country with a football team and open a Grindr account. Suck every dick in sight for a while and eventually you’ll hook up with one you know. Failing that, go out to areas with a scene. You’ll see known faces.

Again. Gay Footballers are not hiding anything like as much as folks pretend they are.

Spending at least 5 years of a VERY short career, talking about where you like to put your penis is an absolute waste of time. No straight footballers have to do it. To suggest gay footballers need to is nonsensical and if you’re suggesting it, it’s myopic and self serving.

Society can change society just fine. Football has no obligation to do anything at all.
I think I can still see the point off in the distance, over there! You might still be able to get it!

Reddy Rederson

Im struggling to understanding the point of anything youre saying. If there was an openly gay footballer in the Uk, it wouldnt be his choice that he would subject to cameras and daily mail articles, the british cutter press being what they are. So if there are openly gay footballers in the Uk, how is it that you know about them and the daily mail doesnt?

Tarrou

Oof. Do you accept and understand that there are openly gay footballers in England?
No, hence why I asked you to name one. I don't actually want or need you to name one, I just asked to illustrate the point that if there were openly gay footballers in the UK their names would be known the general public.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

As long as these so openly gay footballers don't have their partners cheering them on in the stadium, as long as they don't get married, because they fear the repercussions, they are not open. Being on grindr does not mean they are out. The whole idea that the life they are living is even close to being open about their sexuality, is just ignorant and insulting.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Im struggling to understanding the point of anything youre saying. If there was an openly gay footballer in the Uk, it wouldnt be his choice that he would subject to cameras and daily mail articles, the british cutter press being what they are. So if there are openly gay footballers in the Uk, how is it that you know about them and the daily mail doesnt?
Top of your head;

- How many games did Ipswich win last year?
- Who was the top scorer in League 1?
- Name the starting 11 for Yeovil

99% of football fans seem to think the league begins and ends with the top 20.

There are footballers in the UK, openly Gay. The fact that you don’t know who they are simply means you don’t have the information.

If people are taking ‘Openly Gay’ to mean “Earning more than £100,000 a week, famous, gay and celebrating it”.... that’s a monumentally different set of criteria.

0le

Perhaps I'm naive to the likely abuse a gay footballer would receive, but what verbal abuse would bother a homosexual person if they were comfortable in their own skin and comfortable with their sexuality?

Being called homophobic names wouldn't bother me any more than being called ugly or fat or ginger or lanky or shit or whatever else. I'd also expect a lot of support from a large majority of the footballing community. I think I'd find it harder to live a lie than receive the abuse, but I guess it's not something to be judged without being in that position.

It's only an issue because it's being built up and made into one, and this guy/hoax hasn't helped the next guy that considers coming out.
It is naive because abuse can come from people who you may find quite intimidating. This can be homosexual abuse, sexist abuse, racist abuse or whatever.

Reddy Rederson

Top of your head;

There are footballers in the UK, openly Gay. The fact that you don’t know who they are simply means you don’t have the information.

If people are taking ‘Openly Gay’ to mean “Earning more than £100,000 a week, famous, gay and celebrating it”.... that’s a monumentally different set of criteria.
You could have just said "I dont know". It would have been less to read. I know of Liam Davis who was labelled "Englands only openly gay footballer" in 2017. So, without all the bullshit, how is it that you know what the gutter press doesnt?

Halftrack

Top of your head;

I'm guessing most are referring to professional footballers, and as far as I'm aware, there are no openly gay professional footballers in England.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Keep reading mate, to his credit that particular poster has accepted he was wrong.
Excellent. Casual isms, even unintended, are so harmful to those on the receiving end. I can't imagine how tough it would be to come out in the macho pro footy world.

Tostao_80

This is an ignorant post. It is an issue because many people who are gay face this very real struggle on a daily basis. You have no right to project how gay people should react.
The whole "if I'm comfortable then it shouldn't bother me" argument is nonsense. Should black people also be asked to brush off racism, "if they're comfortable in their skin"?
Bigotry, ignorance and hate in all forms should be denounced.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain

Ridiculous post. Thats like saying black people shouldn’t care about being racially abused if they didn’t care that they were black.

There’s some worryingly unintelligent views littered all over the place in this thread.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
He's Swiss, born and raised and moved to Germany in his late teens.

He plays for Croatia due to ancestry and talked shit about gay people because he is a moron.
I suppose that's a fair comment! I'm not an expert on Rakitic's background, I just assumed he was Croatian.

DoomSlayer

I suppose that's a fair comment! I'm not an expert on Rakitic's background, I just assumed he was Croatian.
Yeah, but you kind of made a very non-enlightened comment about the situation, which is ironic because of what you are accusing us of. A lot of people that like to talk and bash our region have absolutely no idea of its' history.

schwarzfahren

I think what a lot of people who hold the view of "just live your life as a gay person, don't announce it" are missing, is that just living your life as a gay person IS coming out. Constantly. Every day, and it's fecking exhausting. As a gay woman I'm forever making small calculations in my mind as to whether I'm going to use "her" or "them" to refer to my girlfriend, for example, or whether I'm going to hold her hand in public given the environment. I'm still having to make the decision whether or not to "come out" in these ways, just as I would have to make that same decision when making a formal announcement. All that is different is the scale that one chooses.

HOWEVER, that's only true for a nobody like me. For someone in the public eye, this doesn't hold. For example, Kelley O'Hara, recent winner of the Women's World Cup, who has never publicly stated her sexuality and has always been very very private on social media, kissed her girlfriend in the stands after winning the final. That one moment was photographed, and now if you google her name, the first link (after her wikipedia, twitter, and instagram) is about her kissing her girlfriend, and the 3rd image on google images is of that photo as well. Just "living her life as a LGBTQ person" ended up being no different in end result to Megan Rapinoe's more forward style. So if someone wants to control their own coming out and their own narrative, who are we to judge?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I think what a lot of people who hold the view of "just live your life as a gay person, don't announce it" are missing, is that just living your life as a gay person IS coming out. Constantly. Every day, and it's fecking exhausting. As a gay woman I'm forever making small calculations in my mind as to whether I'm going to use "her" or "them" to refer to my girlfriend, for example, or whether I'm going to hold her hand in public given the environment. I'm still having to make the decision whether or not to "come out" in these ways, just as I would have to make that same decision when making a formal announcement. All that is different is the scale that one chooses.

HOWEVER, that's only true for a nobody like me. For someone in the public eye, this doesn't hold. For example, Kelley O'Hara, recent winner of the Women's World Cup, who has never publicly stated her sexuality and has always been very very private on social media, kissed her girlfriend in the stands after winning the final. That one moment was photographed, and now if you google her name, the first link (after her wikipedia, twitter, and instagram) is about her kissing her girlfriend, and the 3rd image on google images is of that photo as well. Just "living her life as a LGBTQ person" ended up being no different in end result to Megan Rapinoe's more forward style. So if someone wants to control their own coming out and their own narrative, who are we to judge?

Great post. Thanks for that.

mancan92

Guys. Get a goddamn life. You do realise that at least half the problem with the “Gay footballers should come out” angle is the fact that halfwits need to weaponise the whole topic.

If you really want to know which footballers are gay, go to an area of the country with a football team and open a Grindr account. Suck every dick in sight for a while and eventually you’ll hook up with one you know. Failing that, go out to areas with a scene. You’ll see known faces.

Again. Gay Footballers are not hiding anything like as much as folks pretend they are.

Spending at least 5 years of a VERY short career, talking about where you like to put your penis is an absolute waste of time. No straight footballers have to do it. To suggest gay footballers need to is nonsensical and if you’re suggesting it, it’s myopic and self serving.

Society can change society just fine. Football has no obligation to do anything at all.
What are you on about? We said there are not any openly gay footballers because they are scared. You said there are but they hide it. So how is that open?

wormdoktor

In the same way that 'kick it out' etc have had an impact on racism in the game, it seems obvious that a gay players association (e.g. the IGLFA) running a similar campaign, could be the way to go. If we had a number of players signing up or publicising at the same time, it might reduce some of the stigma compared to the focus that would be on the first player to come out as an individual. Similarly, in the same way that all players will get themselves involved in anti-racist campaigns, the PL (for example) should organise an anti-homophobia campaign. Not a solution in itself I know (and I'm aware of opinion that these campaigns pay mere lip service to the larger issue), but it would at least get the ball rolling.

Nick7

Great post.

manutddjw

I don’t think players are afraid to come out because they’re scared of abuse. This is football and the sad reality is players being abused by supporters is part of the job regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation, no one is spared. It’s the same in other sports as well. I’ve sat in stands for Premier League, NBA, NFL and WWE and there’s always that small group
of people who are going to be abusive. Particularly with social media where you have access to these players like never before, these people have another avenue besides the stadium to spit their venom.

The other thing I always wondered is how many players are actually gay? It seems an obsession for a player to come out but what if they’re not actually gay? When boys get into sports seriously there’s usually 2 motivating factors: the lure of potentially earning millions and the other is the girls. I played American football in Canadian winters and a large reason why I put up with the pain and blistering cold was the access it gave me to girls and parties.

If there is any reason players might not come out is because they don’t want the constant attention it brings them or maybe they’re uncomfortable being different when everyone else in the locker room is boasting about models. To put it on Neanderthal fan abuse is wrong. Fellaini, Ronaldo, Beckham and a host of others have received vile abuse from supporters. It’s how it was and how it always will be.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I agree, but unfortunately there are gay people who do a lot of things for shock value alone, and that does no favors for the gay community. But this criticism coming from me is quickly dismissed as homophobia. Unless the criticism comes from the gay people, against using sexuality as a social weapon, we'll keep seeing this tug of war, and guess what, the gay side of the rope is weaker.
I'm all for equality but this SJW bullshit is not about equality, it's about war, and it's a war that the minorities being used as sheep for political and ideological reasons will find they can't win.
Unfortunately there's a lot of "in your face" stuff coming from the gay camp. It's hard to take two steps without seeing a rainbow forced down everyone's throats, often out of context. Frankly, it's annoying. I'm sure even a lot of gays find it annoying.
That's just my two pence. Don't call the British police, please, I know that they knock on your door if you express your opinion on the internet.
Genuinely can not be bothered - everything you raise has been answered and explained calmly in this thread already and yet you still bang on about shock value and the gay camp. Next you’ll be telling a story about your gay mate, your homophobia may primarily passive rather than overtly aggressive, but it’s homophobia all the same.

Good luck getting the rainbows out of your throat.

EDIT you couldn’t make this up, I’ve just read on through the thread and yes there’s the story about your gay mate who came out in a way you didn’t approve of. You’re so fecking predictable all you passive homophobes.

Kag

Your post could do without the last sentence. He showed no hostility towards gay people, even if his reasoning seems backwards. You started out well explaining why it's relevant to come out, and then you go and clip a stamp on his forehead written "brainless homophobe", neo-fascist style. Divide and conquer is working wonders I see.
I call a spade a spade. It generally tends to work for me in my experience.

You’re also a brainless homophobe. The world would be a better place without your ilk.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I think that is likely to be utter bullshit because you obviously can't imagine what it is like to be targeted as part of a long tormented minority.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Ok, one more post because of so many replies. I'm glad most were very polite and only some were ad hominem.
I'm not offended by someone demonstrating their sexuality, within some limits that, in my values, are in effect for both gay and straight people.
What bothers me is that there is a current belief in some people, that adding shock value to what would be otherwise normal demonstrations of affect is positive, since it triggers the most conservative sectors of society. I find it childish and unnecessary.
I think in time most people will bend to the reality that gay people exist and they have as much right to love as anyone. Only the most reactionary people, I mean the true bigots, will remain unconvinced. That time will come, but creating conflicts in society that are uncalled for will delay the process.
Heterosexual wanting to set limits for gay people shocker.

Some things never change.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I call a spade a spade. It generally tends to work for me in my experience.

You’re also a brainless homophobe. The world would be a better place without your ilk.
It is good that you are against homophobia but I think you need to review you use of race based language ;)

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
I disagree. The press and social media would know. In my opinion, the vast majority of the small minority of gay male players play in lower divisions.
I don't see any logic in thinking more successful players are less likely to be gay. I would say there are some members of the press that are aware of some gay players at the top level but they would never report it as it would be career suicide as well as being morally abhorrent. Media outing somebody as gay would unquestionably strike a chord of it being something to be ashamed of kind of in a "he's one" kind of thing, and it's nothing of the sort.

The same goes for teammates.

Denis79

I think that is likely to be utter bullshit because you obviously can't imagine what it is like to be targeted as part of a long tormented minority.
Doesn't matter if you're a part of a minority or majority, being abused over something you have no control over, sexuality or skin colour will hurt. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst

great post.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea

I actually think that route (O'Hara) is probably the best to take. Rather than being made to feel like an announcement has to be made, if a footballer chose to come out as gay I think the best way to do it would be to just live life, hold their boyfriend's hand while shopping, kiss them in public getting out of or into a car etc just normal things all couples do. Doing normal things and just being seen doing them is the best way to normalise it in other people's eyes, in some eyes it doesn't even need normalising. In doing so, the front foot/upper hand whatever you want to call it is being taken and one thing bigotts don't like is being put on the back foot. Most bigotts retreat or go into their shell when confronted in my experience. They like being the ones to offer their opinion and being the aggressor, the best route is to take that away from them.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Maybe a good way to see this as wrong is to "fix" your post wby changing just a few words and see how it reads....

I agree, but unfortunately there are black people who do a lot of things for shock value alone, and that does no favors for the black community. But this criticism coming from me is quickly dismissed as racism. Unless the criticism comes from the black people, against using race as a social weapon, we'll keep seeing this tug of war, and guess what, the black side of the rope is weaker.
Unfortunately there's a lot of "in your face" stuff coming from the black camp. It's hard to take two steps without seeing a black lives matter flag forced down everyone's throats, often out of context. Frankly, it's annoying. I'm sure even a lot of black poeple find it annoying.
I know there are differences between racism and homophobia - but maybe this is a way of open ing people eyes to show that these opinions are not OK