GB News; UK Right Leaning 24 Hour 'News' Channel

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
If you own it you can spout whatever you want.
Seriously though, I'm baffled that people think there is sufficient appetite for one right wing news channel, let alone two.

'Today in right wing news, sammsky1 calls for the dismantling of social security.
"I really wish they lifted things like unemployment benefits - its a complete sham."
fergiesold lends his support: "The woke brigade are gonna lap this up."....
If it's anything like Fox News, it will have "straight" news throughout the day with "opinion" in the evenings. The "straight" news will report on everything through a clear Tory bias while the opinion section will push culture war and resentment against foreigners, minorities academia, Labour, environmentalists, the media, and anyone else topical. Fox News works by making older people scared and angry. Any sort of pro-environmental steps will become toxic among a large section of voters and eventually the Conservative Party as a whole (Murdoch has pushed this in the US and Australia). In response, it will make the Tories more right wing and insulate them from criticism among its viewers. People who watch Fox News and other conservative media channels in America live in a different reality. Their beliefs about reality diverge significantly from every other group.

Here are a few articles about how Fox works:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...ailes-built-the-fox-news-fear-factory-244652/

https://www.cnn.com/2014/01/27/opinion/frum-fox-news-anxiety/index.html

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
If it's anything like Fox News, it will have "straight" news throughout the day with "opinion" in the evenings. The "straight" news will report on everything through a clear Tory bias while the opinion section will push culture war and resentment against foreigners, minorities academia, Labour, environmentalists, the media, and anyone else topical. Fox News works by making older people scared and angry. Any sort of pro-environmental steps will become toxic among a large section of voters and eventually the Conservative Party as a whole (Murdoch has pushed this in the US and Australia). In response, it will make the Tories more right wing and insulate them from criticism among its viewers. People who watch Fox News and other conservative media channels in America live in a different reality. Their beliefs about reality diverge significantly from every other group.

Here are a few articles about how Fox works:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...ailes-built-the-fox-news-fear-factory-244652/

https://www.cnn.com/2014/01/27/opinion/frum-fox-news-anxiety/index.html
I'm familiar enough with Fox, just sceptical about how translatable the model is to the UK, particularly now given the diffusion of media and rise of streaming.
Maybe if it had been launched as a terrestrial channel 25 years ago.

Green_Red

Just fyi, I thought it looked like a good movie so watched it a few months ago. Found it to be painfully shite. Just putting that out there because I'll never get those hours back.
Haha just rented it on YouTube. 2.99 down the drain. I'll watch it anyway. :lol:

Green_Red

To be fair, a lot of people consider it to be a very good yet under-appeciated movie. Just really wasn't for me. Hope you enjoy it :)
Its got 92% on rotten tomatoes tomatometer, and an audience score of 85% (thats with over 500K votes too).

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
For everyone.

We've already seen the effects of misinformation across the world, when a chunk of a country's citizens start living in a different reality due to the constant lies they've been fed then that's a breeding ground for loony extremists that can't be reasoned with.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
For everyone.

We've already seen the effects of misinformation across the world, when a chunk of a country's citizens start living in a different reality due to the constant lies they've been fed then that's a breeding ground for loony extremists that can't be reasoned with.
Then it sounds like its going to end very well for at least those setting it up / involved with it as thats what they want because trump has proven there is some easy money to be made from a mob

DavidDeSchmikes

For everyone.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Lovely nuanced take.

Also, I'd really like to see some debate on TV where people discuss ideas for more than, you know, 30 seconds. I feel ITV and, irritatingly, the Beeb are poor at letting people explain points without resorting to punctuated remarks or relying on soundbytes. Off my head, I can't think of any shows that provide any real sort of intellectual dialogue. You know, the type where bald men in tweed jackets sit around smoking pipes and discussing made up long-winded terms that make me feel smarter just by watching. It's a shame.

Obviously I don't expect GB News to do that but if it changed the style of the other channels, it might be a good thing.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
If you want more left-leaning media you could always help out Owen Jones start up a channel if he expresses the type of journalism, you think the UK needs more of.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The people saying you can't condemn something that hasn't started don't get it. We all know where this will head.
Channels like these will radicalise people, as people get more radicalised, the content will try to keep up to stay relevant. It will just become an unending loop being driven by its own inertia.
Soon, people like Darron Grimes and Toby Young will be called leftists and globalists by the channels audience.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I am also very suspicious of Neil saying current channels are to London centric. What the feck does that mean? Sounds to me like he's saying the channels are too multicultural and not white enough.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Free speech warrior Neil banning everyone with #fbpe in their profile. Yep yep standard.

starman

Some real bizarreness in here, who cares if there is a right leaning channel or a left one, the people that worry me the most are the ones that think they are being righteous and trying to shut things down because there's no space for it in their echo chamber

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Making the people dumber by subjecting them to a constant barrage of nonsense is quite a time tested tactic. Dumb people are much easier to rule.

What's that saying, you keep them ooor and I'll keep them dumb? Or was it bread and games. I dunno.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I am also very suspicious of Neil saying current channels are to London centric. What the feck does that mean? Sounds to me like he's saying the channels are too multicultural and not white enough.
Coming from East Yorkshire, I'd read it more as my home county is virtually never mentioned on the national news. The north in general is underreported on- most of it is London-centric.
Tbf even when I was growing up the regional news was nearly all on Leeds, Sheffield and Bradford, not E. Yorks.
There's little on Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland too compared to SE England.

starman

The people saying you can't condemn something that hasn't started don't get it. We all know where this will head.
Channels like these will radicalise people, as people get more radicalised, the content will try to keep up to stay relevant. It will just become an unending loop being driven by its own inertia.
Soon, people like Darron Grimes and Toby Young will be called leftists and globalists by the channels audience.
Andrew Neil was/is a classical liberal, yet is now considered "alt right", this is more of a result of the radical left absorbing much of the left and redefining definitions of political stance

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Isn't Andrew Neil the dude that said HIV didn't cause Aids back in the 90s? Seems like the type of oerson you should follow and admire for his wisdom.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Andrew Neil was/is a classical liberal,
A classic Liberal who worked for the Conservative party in the 1970s

Before being picked my murdoch for that most Liberal of jobs... editor of the Times... which he left followig that well trodden Liberal rights of passage and went to work for fox in America

Nothing is quite as Liberal as him rejecting the scientific concensus on man made climate change though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Andrew Neil was/is a classical liberal, yet is now considered "alt right", this is more of a result of the radical left absorbing much of the left and redefining definitions of political stance
Welcome to the caf Mr Shapiro.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
If you want more left-leaning media you could always help out Owen Jones start up a channel if he expresses the type of journalism, you think the UK needs more of.

Anyone who thinks he has anything interesting to say wants their head testing.

Fluctuation0161

Chairman of the Spectator, ex Sunday Times editor Andrew Neil? He is radical left, yeah?

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Making the people dumber by subjecting them to a constant barrage of nonsense is quite a time tested tactic. Dumb people are much easier to rule.

What's that saying, you keep them ooor and I'll keep them dumb? Or was it bread and games. I dunno.
Isn't Andrew Neil the dude that said HIV didn't cause Aids back in the 90s? Seems like the type of oerson you should follow and admire for his wisdom.
Dude, has your p been stolen?