GB News; UK Right Leaning 24 Hour 'News' Channel

Untied

it’s an old article so not written in the context of the new channel. I’d say most people in the centre would recognise the ‘you’re a bigot’ ideology of the left while simultaneously understanding the problems on the extreme right. Just because he’s describing some of the rhetoric aimed from the left doesn’t mean it’s right wing.
"I wonder how my Jewish great-grandfather, who died fighting Nazis in WWII, would feel about my transformation into a far-right extremist."

Probably disappointed that you are writing an article for a magazine that praised the Wehrmacht.

Untied

That Owen Jones tweet is so bad. Should be used as the dictionary definition of “whataboutism”.

Cyanide and Happiness cartoon is good though. They usually are.
It's not really though is it. He's rightly pointing out the double standards in the media, which is so overwhelmingly right-wing that they can repeatedly claim that they are under threat because someone called them a TERF on Twitter, meanwhile an assault of a migrant as they arrived in Kent received essentially no coverage. Which one actually harmed someone.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
[/QUOTE]
Same. Really dislike cnuts.
I was literally suspended on Twitter today for calling a thumper a ‘cnut’ after he hoped I choose my particular fashion of death quickly. The thumper filed a hate speech report on me as I referenced that he was more of a cnut than even his Twitter profile suggested. His profile is replete with religious horseshit. He apparently claimed calling him a ‘cnut’ was me targeting him because he is religious. Can’t wait to see what Twitter says to me after my appeal for reinstatement runs its course.

I dislike cnuts too.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
it’s an old article so not written in the context of the new channel. I’d say most people in the centre would recognise the ‘you’re a bigot’ ideology of the left while simultaneously understanding the problems on the extreme right. Just because he’s describing some of the rhetoric aimed from the left doesn’t mean it’s right wing.
Cute how you refer to the entirety of the left as bigoted, but only call the extreme right problematic.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
"I wonder how my Jewish great-grandfather, who died fighting Nazis in WWII, would feel about my transformation into a far-right extremist."

Probably disappointed that you are writing an article for a magazine that praised the Wehrmacht.
And the guardian's founder was a slave-owner and sided with the confederates. You can bash any publication if it is old enough.

Untied

And the guardian's founder was a slave-owner and sided with the confederates. You can bash any publication if it is old enough.
:lol: The Spectator published an article praising the Wehrmacht 2 years ago

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's not really though is it. He's rightly pointing out the double standards in the media, which is so overwhelmingly right-wing that they can repeatedly claim that they are under threat because someone called them a TERF on Twitter, meanwhile an assault of a migrant as they arrived in Kent received essentially no coverage. Which one actually harmed someone.
Literally every example of right wing shit-housery he mentions got covered in the UK mainstream media. Not least in the newspaper that pays his salary.

The migrant assault you claim was ignored by the right leaning Uk press was reported on by none other than the Daily Mail (as well as all other mainstream newspapers)

Last edited:

fergieisold

The situation that a right wing publication is trying to move the conversation further right, but you see a centrist article?
Yes. Nice paragraph here from the author.

"When I tried to explain that I’m a Remainer with liberal and centrist views who has only voted Lib Dem or Labour, I was told ‘that’s what the alt-Right always say’"

Classic.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Also the editor of the spectator in the 30's was outspoken against Nazi Germany so I dont really much evidence of the spectator of being on the wrong side of history on that account unless there is credible evidence to the contrary.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Would you not say the extreme right is problematic? Seems like a pretty big problem to me!
The right itself is problematic, certainly not just the far right. Your depiction that the entire left is at issue, yet only painting a narrow strata of the right with the same criticism, was cute wordplay.

That Owen Jones tweet is so bad. Should be used as the dictionary definition of “whataboutism”.

Cyanide and Happiness cartoon is good though. They usually are.
He’s always been a terrible commentator.

However, he does get a hell of a lot of exposure.

As always the left think everything is right wing, and the right think everything is left wing.

This forum is very much left leaning, and nothing wrong with that - it’s not a criticism.

fergieisold

The right itself is problematic, certainly not just the far right. Your depiction that the entire left is at issue, yet only painting a narrow strata of the right with the same criticism, was cute wordplay.
Well to be fair you've just done what I did with the right. Not sure why you think being right wing is problematic.

I should have reworded it to certain factions within the far left.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Well to be fair you've just done what I did with the right. Not sure why you think being right wing is problematic.

I should have reworded it to certain factions within the far left.
In my country, we are suffering vastly more through the policies of the entire right than we ever could be from the left’s. Not trying to sway your view, but how someone could think that, on balance, right wing political philosophy isn’t worse for the world than the left’s would be humorous if it wasn’t so dangerous.

fergieisold

In my country, we are suffering vastly more through the policies of the entire right than we ever could be from the left’s. Not trying to sway your view, but how someone could think that, on balance, right wing political philosophy isn’t worse for the world than the left’s would be humorous if it wasn’t so dangerous.
Depends on particular policies really, plenty wrong with the right but there's things on the left I don't like either. Is there a right answer? Who knows! :wenger:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Depends on particular policies really, plenty wrong with the right but there's things on the left I don't like either. Is there a right answer? Who knows! :wenger:
That’s why I said I wasn’t going to try to sway you. There’s an immense amount of issues with the left, no doubt, but those issues have caused less damage than those of the right (primarily looking through this lens at my country).

Untied

Literally every example of right wing shit-housery he mentions got covered in the UK mainstream media. Not least in the newspaper that pays his salary.

The migrant assault you claim was ignored by the right leaning Uk press was reported on by none other than the Daily Mail (as well as all other mainstream newspapers)
So your stance is that the 'free speech' issue is getting a reasonable amount of coverage?

Because let's be clear… none of these people actually care about free speech. If they were there would be widespread horror at the government guidance that schools can only accept materials/teaching from external organisations that are supportive of capitalism, would be outraged by the treatment of Julian Assange, and hugely concerned about enabling various British government agencies to authorise any criminal activity. Of course they would rather moan about how SOAS students won't let them perform their set without signing a behavioural agreement, which given they are in favour of the free market is a bit weird, because isn't that just market forces at work?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
So your stance is that the 'free speech' issue is getting a reasonable amount of coverage?

Because let's be clear… none of these people actually care about free speech. If they were there would be widespread horror at the government guidance that schools can only accept materials/teaching from external organisations that are supportive of capitalism, would be outraged by the treatment of Julian Assange, and hugely concerned about enabling various British government agencies to authorise any criminal activity. Of course they would rather moan about how SOAS students won't let them perform their set without signing a behavioural agreement, which given they are in favour of the free market is a bit weird, because isn't that just market forces at work?
My stance is mainly that Owen Jones did a bad tweet.

On a side note, it also seems as though the mainstream media isn’t as selective in its coverage as you seem to think (based on a specific example that you brought up)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Untied

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Murdoch is setting up a rival right wing news channel to go against GB News.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...s-news-uk-tv-channel-given-approval-to-launch

Is this it? Are we now just going to see an even bigger surge or right wing ideology in the UK? I genuinely worry that the BNP nutjobs that used to be generally vilified by British society will soon be made palatable in the eyes of the viewing public. It won't be long before we start seeing things get worse than they already are.

Anyway, time to make some beans on toast.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Murdoch is setting up a rival right wing news channel to go against GB News.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...s-news-uk-tv-channel-given-approval-to-launch

Is this it? Are we now just going to see an even bigger surge or right wing ideology in the UK? I genuinely worry that the BNP nutjobs that used to be generally vilified by British society will soon be made palatable in the eyes of the viewing public. It won't be long before we start seeing things get worse than they already are.

Anyway, time to make some beans on toast.
We are already there mate - the likes of Farage have been mainstream for years now. The UK is a naturally right leaning country.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We are already there mate - the likes of Farage have been mainstream for years now. The UK is a naturally right leaning country.
Yeah mate but I mean full on balls to the wall stuff where Boris* comes out and says there were "bad people on both sides" as a right wing fascist runs down some protestors, all because he wants the keep the popular vote.

*Okay, maybe not Boris as this might be five years from now. So maybe RoboBoris or a sentient forest mushroom or whoever the Tories pick as their next leader.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Am I mental in thinking you shouldn't be allowed to report news/own media channels if they're going to be inherently biased?

How is Murdoch allowed to just create new channels and forms of media.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Am I mental in thinking you shouldn't be allowed to report news/own media channels if they're going to be inherently biased?

How is Murdoch allowed to just create new channels and forms of media.
If you own it you can spout whatever you want.
Seriously though, I'm baffled that people think there is sufficient appetite for one right wing news channel, let alone two.

'Today in right wing news, sammsky1 calls for the dismantling of social security.
"I really wish they lifted things like unemployment benefits - its a complete sham."
fergiesold lends his support: "The woke brigade are gonna lap this up."....

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Seriously though, I'm baffled that people think there is sufficient appetite for one right wing news channel, let alone two.

'Today in right wing news, sammsky1 calls for the dismantling of social security.
"I really wish they lifted things like unemployment benefits - its a complete sham."
They shouldn't be able to brand it as 'news' though imo.

The Firestarter

Also, stay with us for today's edition of "Banning words from your non-English language" show!

The Firestarter

Negronis were today banned from cocktail menus by a direct order from the anglo-saxon linguistics obersturmbannfuhrer.
And of course in our late night show 'Prejudice' we explore what names can we call the Belgians!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

It won't be marketed as that though, surely? The Daily Mail isn't. It'll probably be celeb gossip and other shite that the average viewer will tune in for, seamlessly sandwiched between shows that are essentially saying to folk "this is how you should think" whilst slowly making them believe that free healthcare is shite and all nurses are bastards. Just like those bastard union members but this time totally untrue.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It won't be marketed as that though, surely? The Daily Mail isn't. It'll probably be celeb gossip and other shite that the average viewer will tune in for, seamlessly sandwiched between shows that are essentially saying to folk "this is how you should think" whilst slowly making them believe that free healthcare is shite and all nurses are bastards. Just like those bastard union members but this time totally untrue.
I thought it's being billed as a 24 hour news channel? People surely digest that celebrity shite online or on social media now.
It sounds like loads of bone dry discussion programmes rather than battle royal with a load of asylumseekers on the Isle of Wight.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I thought it's being billed as a 24 hour news channel? People surely digest that celebrity shite online or on social media now.
It sounds like loads of bone dry discussion programmes rather than battle royal with a load of asylumseekers on the Isle of Wight.
Don't give them any ideas!

Fluctuation0161

Not naturally. The media have consistently nudged the country to the right for decades. Ironically driven by Murdoch himself.