General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
They have a far bigger and better balanced economy than us- comparing us to Germany will always back us, and pretty much any country, look bad.
Indeed, but the only point was, we can't claim we are the best nation in the G7.

I'm trying to find a decent chart going up to 2016. We were top of the G7 a couple of years ago. We are bottom now.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I just entered the predictor contest, went for a hung parliament and at the end it said 'You have voted for Theresa May'!! Fake news!! Sad!! :mad:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
By the way this is the first election I am ever voting in, wonder if there are others doing the same due to the Corbyn factor.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
This is how it starts isn't it? Slowly you start losing your rights in the name of security and protection.

She said: “But I can tell you a few of the things I mean by that: I mean longer prison sentences for people convicted of terrorist offences. I mean making it easier for the authorities to deport foreign terror suspects to their own countries.

“And I mean doing more to restrict the freedom and the movements of terrorist suspects when we have enough evidence to know they present a threat, but not enough evidence to prosecute them in full in court.

“And if human rights laws stop us from doing it, we will change those laws so we can do it.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...man-rights-laws-impede-new-terror-legislation

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Indeed, but the only point was, we can't claim we are the best nation in the G7.

I'm trying to find a decent chart going up to 2016. We were top of the G7 a couple of years ago. We are bottom now.
Not sure raising corporation tax by a third will help our economy grow!

Blind

Not paying much attention to this debate on BBC News, but Sarah Champion is doing well for Labour. From a quick Google search she appears to have some baggage, despite that she's far more competent than Corbyn's best buddies like Diane Abbott.

I mean Ken Livingstone would be more competent, basically she's saying the right things.

Last edited:

rcoobc

Me either. But, as Labour like to point out
  • We would still have the lowest corporation tax rate in the G7
  • We would still have a middling level of corporation tax in Europe.
Also, I know you know this, but corporation tax is a tax on profits. Cutting it doesn't help the small/medium sized businesses that may not make a huge profit, that are the backbone of Germany's economy (I keep bringing up Germany, don't know why).

But Corporation Tax receipts only accounted for 6% of Government revenue in 2016. This is what the IFS has to say in 2015
https://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn09.pdf
There have been a large number of changes to corporation tax since 2010. We calculate that, taken together, policy changes announced between 2010 and Budget 2016 (including those that are due to come into place before the end of the parliament) have cost £10.8 billion a year in 2015–16 terms.26 In previous work, cited at the end of footnote 26, we calculated that the cost of measures announced by the coalition government (2010– 15) only was £7.9 billion. The majority of the revenue cost is due to cuts to the corporation tax rate. The coalition government reduced both the main corporation tax rate (from 28% in 2010) and the small profits rate (from 21% in 2010) to 20% in 2015–16. In 2013, it also introduced a new lower 10% rate for the income derived from patents (the Patent Box).

The current government plans to reduce the main corporation tax rate even further to 17% by 2020–21. Corporation tax rates across the developed world have declined substantially since the 1970s as countries have attempted to remain competitive locations for mobile activities and profits. The desire to attract and retain mobile activity has been important in the UK, which, since 2010, has cut rates further and faster than other countries, such that the rate is now the lowest in the G20.27 Alongside rate cuts, there have been a large number of other corporation tax changes since 2010, including moves that raise revenues by broadening the tax base and by preventing avoidance opportunities.

The mix of policy changes is such that some companies will gain more than others. Broadly, highly profitable and mobile firms will see the most benefit from lower rates, although some will be affected by anti-avoidance measures, such as a new restriction on interest deductions.28 Those businesses with high levels of investment or losses and multinationals with high levels of debt in the UK will benefit the least. A permanent decline in onshore corporate tax revenues would mark a break with the previous trend, highlighted above, under which the effect of lower rates was offset by a larger, more profitable corporate sector (and, to a smaller extent, a broader tax base). It is possible that corporate revenues will be higher than currently forecast either because corporate rate cuts boost corporate activity by more or because anti-avoidance measures are more successful at raising revenues than is currently predicted. However, in the longer run, there is also likely to be continued competitive pressure on corporate taxes.
https://www.ifs.org.uk/uploads/publications/bns/BN_182.pdf

rcoobc

http://election2017.ifs.org.uk/article/two-parliaments-of-pain-the-uk-public-finances-2010-to-2017

• The financial crisis led to a sharp reduction in national income. Even more striking is the weakness of the subsequent recovery.
  • Official forecasts suggest that GDP per adult in 2022 will be 18% lower than it would have been had it grown by 2% a year since 2008 – broadly the expected rate of growth at that time.
  • The UK’s public finances compare unfavourably with those of other advanced economies, although this is also the case for other very large economies such as France, Japan and the United States.
  • In 2016, the UK had the fifth-largest deficit out of 35 advanced economies and the sixth-largest debt out of 26 advanced economies
  • On the spending side, the striking fact is that after seven years of austerity, public spending is only broadly back at pre-crisis levels as a fraction of national income.
  • Cuts to large parts of government spending have only resulted in the size of the state being broadly unchanged.

Fener1907

FFS my old man must let slip he's voting Tory :mad:
It's just impossible to get over the generation gap and how people from each, generally speaking, see the parties. There was a great thread on Twitter a while ago in which a woman explained everything from the perspective of her parents. Kind of opened my eyes to just how embedded it is and will remain.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's just impossible to get over the generation gap and how people from each, generally speaking, see the parties. There was a great thread on Twitter a while ago in which a woman explained everything from the perspective of her parents. Kind of opened my eyes to just how embedded it is and will remain.
Asked him why and he gave me a load of media spoon fed bollocks about Corbyn. I broke down the bullshit and what the actual full quotes were and he just "we'll have to agree to disagree".

So fecking disheartening.

Smores

Raising it back to average levels though. We've had plenty of growth historically with the proposed rate and even higher.

I don't see the argument to have it below 20%

Jippy

Staff
Me either. But, as Labour like to point out
  • We would still have the lowest corporation tax rate in the G7
  • We would still have a middling level of corporation tax in Europe.
Also, I know you know this, but corporation tax is a tax on profits. Cutting it doesn't help the small/medium sized businesses that may not make a huge profit, that are the backbone of Germany's economy (I keep bringing up Germany, don't know why).

But Corporation Tax receipts only accounted for 6% of Government revenue in 2016. This is what the IFS has to say in 2015
https://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn09.pdf

https://www.ifs.org.uk/uploads/publications/bns/BN_182.pdf
Interesting, but you'd have to net that off with additional investment from businesses, eg R&D, and potentially increased employment, as companies invest more here, with the subsequent benefits of additional income tax and other revenue streams. No idea how you calculate that though...
FFS my old man must let slip he's voting Tory :mad:
:lol:Remember, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Nick.
Raising it back to average levels though. We've had plenty of growth historically with the proposed rate and even higher.

I don't see the argument to have it below 20%
We weren't previously on the brink of leaving the world's biggest trading bloc though, I guess.

Fener1907

Asked him why and he gave me a load of media spoon fed bollocks about Corbyn. I broke down the bullshit and what the actual full quotes were and he just "we'll have to agree to disagree".

So fecking disheartening.
Yep, you're going up against a brick wall. They're from an age where things were very different and don't want to and/or can't ever see things from your perspective. You can keep plugging away and thinking you've found a gap in the defenses, but you'll find it's fortified by another line of reasoning that acts as a fail-safe.

For example, my dad's voted BNP in the past as a "protest vote." Seeing as I know he's not a vile racist scumbag, it's hard to explain to a stranger how that works. I can spend all night going over why it's wrong to vote for them under any circumstances. He'll still come out as certain of himself as he was at the beginning.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Competiton Sorted now - Enter here:

https://goo.gl/forms/2t3HRH2ZGSyYAY1A2

Predict the size of the Tory majority come Friday morning. Tiebreaker is # of seats won by Labour.

No prize at the moment but if we get enough people we could have a think.

I will close the survey to new entries Thursday at 5pm. Then will post everyone's prediction to keep track of. Might make the depressing inevitability a bit more fun...
Do I have to do this a second time?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Interesting, but you'd have to net that off with additional investment from businesses, eg R&D, and potentially increased employment, as companies invest more here, with the subsequent benefits of additional income tax and other revenue streams. No idea how you calculate that though...

:lol:Remember, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Nick.

We weren't previously on the brink of leaving the world's biggest trading bloc though, I guess.
How much were we actually bringing in at the old rate?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yep, you're going up against a brick wall. They're from an age where things were very different and don't want to and/or can't ever see things from your perspective. You can keep plugging away and thinking you've found a gap in the defenses, but you'll find it's fortified by another line of reasoning that acts as a fail-safe.

For example, my dad's voted BNP in the past as a "protest vote." Seeing as I know he's not a vile racist scumbag, it's hard to explain to a stranger how that works. I can spend all night going over why it's wrong to vote for them under any circumstances. He'll still come out as certain of himself as he was at the beginning.
It's just crazy frustrating.

Oh and shut up @Jippy!

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I like the idea of a competition, but fear it may need a caftard with some intelligence to institute it. Which just about leaves @Damien I suppose. No disrespect alto, you could put your heads together.

Also needs a definition of majority for the fick people like me.
Hopefully sorted now - was for logged into old uni account. No disrespect taken

I'm too lazy. I have full faith that alto knows what he's doing.

They will do. I have no doubt about that. I doubt we'll see any real change in the cabinet either.
Do I have to do this a second time?
If you could that would be great, should only take a second or two to enter again. I will check the other one before the deadline and collate any responses not brought over. So no worries if you don't, would just make it easier for me!

ZupZup

We can talk about a growing economy all we like but what good is it if the poorest in society and those who need it most see none of it and find their own situation worsening?

I'm fairly sure any fruits of a successful economy under a Conservative Government will go where they always do... to the already well off.

I wouldn't judge an economy but how wealthy the richest are... we should judge it by how those at the bottom end are coping.

Jippy

Staff
I'm sure when the Tories raise VAT that will really help the economy..
That was the coalition, not the Tories themselves:wenger:
How much were we actually bringing in at the old rate?
I dunno, but like-for-like comparisons must be difficult, given the vagaries of economic growth and corporate profitability in different years. If you have a year, for example, where both say Vodafone and RBS have multi-billion pound writedowns, that must hit in the tax intake?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Competiton Sorted now - Enter here:

https://goo.gl/forms/2t3HRH2ZGSyYAY1A2

Predict the size of the Tory majority come Friday morning. Tiebreaker is # of seats won by Labour.

No prize at the moment but if we get enough people we could have a think.

I will close the survey to new entries Thursday at 5pm. Then will post everyone's prediction to keep track of. Might make the depressing inevitability a bit more fun...
You have voted for" Theresa May
:mad:

Jippy

Staff
We can talk about a growing economy all we like but what good is it if the poorest in society and those who need it most see none of it and find their own situation worsening?

I'm fairly sure any fruits of a successful economy under a Conservative Government will go where they always do... to the already well off.

I wouldn't judge an economy but how wealthy the richest are... we should judge it by how those at the bottom end are coping.
I do actually agree- raising the income tax threshold and upping the minimum wage must have helped, but I guess benefit freezes are the big issue in the bottom cohorts. It's a balancing act ensuring benefits are fair, but not a deterrent to getting a job, and one that all governments have struggled with him too tbf.

Jippy

Staff
I'm lucky that my Mum isn't voting Tory.

Trying to change the opinion of stubborn people is very difficult though, especially those who take everything the media say at face value.
Equally though, I've known people with crappy lives in shithole areas that will vote Labour regardless of how their lot never changes under them any more than it does the Tories.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

I wouldn't judge an economy but how wealthy the richest are... we should judge t by how those at the bottom end are coping.
"UK comes bottom of G7 growth league"

I'm generally curious on how our economy is growing, because it's not and our national debt isn't being reduced either.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Equally though, I've known people with crappy lives in shithole areas that will vote Labour regardless of how their lot never changes under them any more than it does the Tories.
Voting Tory won't help them though Jippy and if Labour isn't working either then they're basically utterly screwed.

rcoobc

Me either. The thing is, I don't believe that attracting highly mobile multi-national companies to temporarily set up shop here does *that* much for the economy in the long haul.

The UK has some serious economic problems. I think there are whole classes of companies that we are missing:

- Car manufacturing; where is are our Fiat/BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Peugeot/Skoda/etc?
- Large Technology; where is our Apple/Microsoft/Google/etc
- The Internet; where is our Snap Chat/Twitter/Amazon/eBay/Netflix/Uber/etc
- Computers/TV/Phones; where is our Sony/Samsung/ASUS/Nokia/LG/HTC/etc

And that doesn't really even touch on wider manufacturing.

There are a couple of sectors where we do indeed punch above our weight; Banking for one, but in general the UK economy worries me.

You need home-grown companies to get the economy going. It's not enough to say "we are going to reduce corporation tax to 7% so that Apple open up a news-agents over here". That doesn't help as much as we'd like. Apple paid $15.8bn in Corporation Tax in the USA last year. I make that as 0.25% of the total US Goverment receipts last year, and that doesn't include workers wages (in every stage of production of their goods), sales tax, etc.

For many countries the larger home-grown companies are hugely important for their economy. We are sorely lacking a few modern giants. Many of our largest companies are formely state owned (BT, BAE, etc)

I don't know, I just don't think cutting corporation tax solves much. But equally, im happy to keep it at 20%

Jippy

Staff
They removed the promise to keep the VAT rate from their last manifesto with the new one, and have refused to promise not to raise it!
The IFS was against any party ruling out certain tax rises, cos it is so restrictive- if we have some form of financial crisis mkII, the government may have to take drastic measures to fill the coffers. Plus, if you don't raise VAT, you only have to put the squeeze on elsewhere.
Tbh, they need a broad review of VAT cos it isn't meant to be on essentials, so it's a joke tampons, sun cream etc...face VAT. Fine if it's on luxury goods because they are discretionary.