German Football 23/24 |

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
No mention of Wolfsburg sacking Nico Kovac yet?
Has been coming for some time. Mid table teams everywhere will perk up at the news and go 'meh'.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
What the heck is going on in the 2nd division. 3:2 and 4:0 score lines after 40 minutes... :drool:

Suddenly Schalke are deep into relegation worries again, with three teams behind them pulling off wins.

And Karlsruhe (huge club) can now claim to have the best attack, probably not something people were expecting to see.
Düsseldorf still have more goals scored.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
No mention of Wolfsburg sacking Nico Kovac yet?
Has been coming for some time. Mid table teams everywhere will perk up at the news and go 'meh'.
I guess the only ones who care about this are the Bayern fans who still hold a grudge. Even Hasenhüttl, while far from a bad choice on paper, is hardly exciting.

Schalke's away form is truly special:

Closing in on 3 GA on average.

Düsseldorf still have more goals scored.
Oh right, I must have been blind.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
What the heck is going on in the 2nd division. 3:2 and 4:0 score lines after 40 minutes... :drool:
Well both Hertha and Schalke are comically bad at defending which made for a pretty entertaining match.
Schalke definitely should be worried, they seriously lack quality. Kinda hard to imagine they were considered the favorites before the season began.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Suddenly Schalke are deep into relegation worries again, with three teams behind them pulling off wins.

And Karlsruhe (huge club) can now claim to have the best attack, probably not something people were expecting to see.
I am trying to ignore the league since I don't want to jinx Pauli... :nervous:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I guess the only ones who care about this are the Bayern fans who still hold a grudge. Even Hasenhüttl, while far from a bad choice on paper, is hardly exciting.

Schalke's away form is truly special:

Closing in on 3 GA on average.

Oh right, I must have been blind.
It’s only human to forget that Düsseldorf exists. We all want it to be true.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well both Hertha and Schalke are comically bad at defending which made for a pretty entertaining match.
Schalke definitely should be worried, they seriously lack quality. Kinda hard to imagine they were considered the favorites before the season began.
I'm still fairly confident that they'll win enough points to stay in at home and they also have their last two away games against Osnabrück and Fürth.
But of course the margin for error is getting pretty thin for them.

Another question is what happens to them next season though, because while Hertha for example have used their relegation to integrate academy players Schalke haven't really done that aside from Ouedraogo and Topp. One of them is leaving, the other seems to be more hard-working than gifted.
Loanees aside their squad is absolutely stuffed with mediocre mid/late 20s players. Karaman is standing out among them this season, but since his contract is down to 12 months in the summer, he'll probably be looking at his last decent contract in Bundesliga or Süperlig.

Last edited:

G3079

Supports
Nobody in particular
It’s only human to forget that Düsseldorf exists. We all want it to be true.
Eh, could be much worse. Could be Cologne. Or one of, like, a dozen fugly Ruhrpott cities.
Gonna be interesting to see if he can right the ship. Kinda doubt it, Hasenhüttl hasn't impressed me much so far. Southampton was thoroughly unimpressive under him, as has been Leiptsch when he was in charge, and he's been out of a job for a year and half now.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Taken back, color me surprised. That one was a clearer red to me than the one for Sabitzer last week. Not a clearly wrong decision in my book.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Very important win. Aside from the Can red very good refereeing.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And then he scored a pen? Every. Time. Player should be sent off, then scores.
Yeah that was pretty on the nose. Read somewhere that Bayern supporters everywhere were relieved when he was not sent off. I tend to agree :nervous:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It seems like Dortmund are finally picking up a little bit of form. It won't help in Munich and top 4 is still unlikely, but the games are slowly getting better and I think today was clearly a step in the right direction, considering it was after an intense midweek fixture and there were quite a few players not available or not at full fitness.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
So now it's official, Christian Streich will leave Freiburg at the end of the season. End of an era.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
So now it's official, Christian Streich will leave Freiburg at the end of the season. End of an era.
I would love to see him in a punditry role but I'm not sure he'd be into that

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Just read the SZ interview with Gündogan and I'm not really sure what to make out of it. Asked whether a Gündogan - Kroos midfield would make the playstyle more "Spanish", he said that they aren't there to bring a Spanish tune to the national team. IMO, Germany should definitely become more Spanish and there is no logical reason not to as almost every successful team plays in such a way and the best players Nagelsmann has available all play in such systems as well.

If Nagelsmann has Germany play the same 'head through the wall' approach he introduced at Bayern, we could be in for a disaster class.

Pretty sure he would absolutely hate that :lol:
I fear that as well but who knows, maybe he becomes bored in retirement ;)

Woziak

I agree but his decision making and passing already improved a lot in recent weeks. The assist for Gnabry today was great.

Musiala and Wirtz really have the potential to be the best german players for the next 10 years.
Im still curious to see how Nagelsmann will use them in the german NT.
Imo it would be best in 3-4-2-1 Leverkusen like system with both of them playing on the "10s".
But according to reports Gündogan is planned on the 10 in front of Kroos + Andrich/Groß.
That would only leave the winger positions for Musiala and Wirtz.
And while they both can play on the left wing they are certainly no real wingers that only stick to their side.
I sort of agree with this I think Germany at home are serious threat in the Euros and most idiots have already written them off.

Germany should play 3421 but don’t really have great wing backs to exploit that system. I guess their best team would be ; M Neuer, A Rudiger, J Tah, D Raum, J Kimmich, T Kroos, I Gundogan, K Havertz, F Witz, J Musilla, T Muhler.

They will play Havertz at left wing back which is what Naigelsman been doing switching from 3421 to 4231 formations m free

Their one year form is very patchy however, some would say disastrous; Played 11 Won 3 Drawn 2 Lost 6 GS 15 GC 22 -7 GD
I still fancy them for a last 4 at least !

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Just read the SZ interview with Gündogan and I'm not really sure what to make out of it. Asked whether a Gündogan - Kroos midfield would make the playstyle more "Spanish", he said that they aren't there to bring a Spanish tune to the national team. IMO, Germany should definitely become more Spanish and there is no logical reason not to as almost every successful team plays in such a way and the best players Nagelsmann has available all play in such systems as well.

If Nagelsmann has Germany play the same 'head through the wall' approach he introduced at Bayern, we could be in for a disaster class.

I fear that as well but who knows, maybe he becomes bored in retirement ;)
Depends what you define as "spanish" but the spanish national team itself hasnt really been succesful in recent tournaments.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I didn't read the article, but the way you have put it in your post, it sounds like Gündogan might just be giving a diplomatic response. Something like 'no, we don't aspire to be like Spain' - as I suppose the opposite ('Germany should be more like Spain!') wouldn't land well with everyone. But maybe that's just because of the way you've written it here.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I didn't read the article, but the way you have put it in your post, it sounds like Gündogan might just be giving a diplomatic response. Something like 'no, we don't aspire to be like Spain' - as I suppose the opposite ('Germany should be more like Spain!') wouldn't land well with everyone. But maybe that's just because of the way you've written it here.
I'm fairly certain that you're right: giving a positive answer to this would have been a huge blunder that could have followed the team around for the entire summer. How easy is it to imagine some pundit saying stuff like: "they want to play like Spain, but they forgot they are actually Germany" or some other lazy reference. It's also not Gündogan's place to make such statements in public, it's up to his coach to explain what direction he wants to take tactically and who may be his inspiration.

Blackwidow

I could not find a legends thread for posts like this - so as it happened at the Bayern trainings ground here about a visit of Evra and Park Ji Sung.
(video has english subtitles)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
DFB in Nike from 2027 on. Feels wrong.
The relationship between Adidas and DFB was always suspiciously close for a nonprofit and global corporation. To the extend that I remember reading reports of them turning down much more lucrative offers from competitors.
Now that the DFB has some money issues it would have been even less defensible to leave millions on the table.

Things seem so very conservative in so many areas with the NT, I think it's good (in a symbolic way) to not play with the stripes on the shoulder for once.
Bonus points if the youth reforms start kicking in around the time the switch comes into effect.

We're at Schalke's "banish random players for no good reason" stage now. Usually they are less blond though.

And this is looking a bit like Rangnick 2.0

All they have to do to stay in is keeping cool and perform slightly below par. Yet the club delivers drama on all fronts.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The relationship between Adidas and DFB was always suspiciously close for a nonprofit and global corporation. To the extend that I remember reading reports of them turning down much more lucrative offers from competitors.
Now that the DFB has some money issues it would have been even less defensible to leave millions on the table.

Things seem so very conservative in so many areas with the NT, I think it's good (in a symbolic way) to not play with the stripes on the shoulder for once.
Bonus points if the youth reforms start kicking in around the time the switch comes into effect.

We're at Schalke's "banish random players for no good reason" stage now. Usually they are less blond though.

And this is looking a bit like Rangnick 2.0

All they have to do to stay in is keeping cool and perform slightly below par. Yet the club delivers drama on all fronts.
The usual next step would be to make Fährmann first choice keeper again :lol:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Interesting formation by Nagelsmann tonight. Essentially three 10s (Wirtz, Gündogan, Musiala) behind a false nine (Havertz).

Could be horribly narrow and static, could be amazing creative football.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Musiala and Wirtz in one team
:drool::drool:
Musiala should come to Leverkusen so e can see them together week in week out ;)

On a more serious note, I believe both are talented enough to surpass every player from the previous generation. And in general, we now have so much technical quality and football IQ in every position thanks to Nagelsmann moving Kimmich out wide and Havertz to the striker position. This team could be seriously good.

verycute

Supports
Schalke
Considering the kind of goals they conceded against Hertha that's probably only one or two defeats away.
lets be fair. both teams were utter garbage s04 managed to be just even worse.

also what do you expect ? as a Dortmund fan you should know that the wrong People can ruin your whole club within a few years. Its realy great watching something i enjoyed and loved for over 35 years now is dying because people with zero skills are in power.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
lets be fair. both teams were utter garbage s04 managed to be just even worse.

also what do you expect ? as a Dortmund fan you should know that the wrong People can ruin your whole club within a few years. Its realy great watching something i enjoyed and loved for over 35 years now is dying because people with zero skills are in power.
They conceded that one goal where Müller miscalculated a cross and left his goal open and another with a near-post shot, that looked a little too easy as well. So it wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world to see a change in goal, if Müller keeps making mistakes.

And I don't really expect anything, I'm just watching the spectacle from my arm chair.
Though I'd say it's a bit short sighted to blame the guys, who had to take over after Schalke were already a wreck. It was the decades under Tönnies that left the club with a dysfunctional squad, shit housery and nepotism for a club philosophy and a mountain of debt that left the people, who have to clean up the mess, with barely any room for mistakes.

Last edited:

verycute

Supports
Schalke
It was Müllers first game with mistakes that lead to Goals. Its normal for Keepers to make mistakes. there wont be any discussion about him since Fährmann sadly isnt an option anymore.

im not only blaming the Guys who took over. after Assauer got mobbed out by Tönnies and his Gang everything went more or less OK until Tönnies decided "lets gamble on the future" kicked out Heldt for Heidel who kicked Breitenreiter to pay like 5million for Weinzierl (lol) then proceed to spend about 170 Million of which he wasted 140.... just insane. But then came 19/20 look at the first half under David Wagner. they played good counter pressing football and got 30 Points. beat Gladbach for the restart and didnt win a single Bundesliga game anymore after. anyone with literally 5 working braincells would have kicked Wagner at the End and replaced half the team with new Players. pretty much nothing happened and you know the result :)

i dont even wanna start on how stupid you have to be to not buy Itakura to sell him for more later or getting Kramer as a coach. or not wanting Rangnick who could have transformed the club.

it just hurts to see this :)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It was Müllers first game with mistakes that lead to Goals. Its normal for Keepers to make mistakes. there wont be any discussion about him since Fährmann sadly isnt an option anymore.

im not only blaming the Guys who took over. after Assauer got mobbed out by Tönnies and his Gang everything went more or less OK until Tönnies decided "lets gamble on the future" kicked out Heldt for Heidel who kicked Breitenreiter to pay like 5million for Weinzierl (lol) then proceed to spend about 170 Million of which he wasted 140.... just insane. But then came 19/20 look at the first half under David Wagner. they played good counter pressing football and got 30 Points. beat Gladbach for the restart and didnt win a single Bundesliga game anymore after. anyone with literally 5 working braincells would have kicked Wagner at the End and replaced half the team with new Players. pretty much nothing happened and you know the result :)

i dont even wanna start on how stupid you have to be to not buy Itakura to sell him for more later or getting Kramer as a coach. or not wanting Rangnick who could have transformed the club.

it just hurts to see this :)
Schalke were a mess long before that. They just didn't get punished, because there wasn't as much competition (Dortmund, Leipzig) earlier and their academy kept producing top players with some consistency for a while.
If I remember correctly they took a bailout from the city during the Magath years, even before Heldt took charge.

verycute

Supports
Schalke
yes it was a bit messy back then sure. but not even close to what happened in the last few years. but again. everything went super downhill when Tönnies and his Gang decided to scrap the path of paying off the debt while staying somewhere in the Top 7 range and started gambling. so what happened at Schalke should be a warning to everyone else. and it can happen to everyone except the usual suspects

cant wait for the KSC Game... not getting relegated at this point will be a god damn miracle

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
cant wait for the KSC Game... not getting relegated at this point will be a god damn miracle
Don't be dramatic.. It's three points in Braunschweig and a bunch of clubs in between, Schalke can probably even afford to mess up one more game.