German football is turd

Moby

Dick
(probably because they're jealous of clubs like Bayern) ...
Do you honestly think fans of PL clubs would sacrifice the league turning into the one-team pointless crap that bundesliga is for a few more wins in CL? Don't get me wrong, it would be great if United was great in Europe and we all enjoyed the late 00s when we are a regular fixture in the late stages of the competition, and I'm not trying to downplay the importance of CL but it's nowhere, literally nowhere near the enjoyment of getting to follow a league as competitive and exciting as the PL. No chance anyone would make that trade.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Deflect? My point was that the transfer in question is one of the several reasons why the league descended into being monopolized by Bayern and consequently reaching it's current state of 'turd'. There's no point trying to act as if a move like that had no impact on the quality of the league.
It wasn't a transfer, Lewandowski was free. And you are trying to deflect when you ask me why I'm defending Bayern when I haven't, I simply explained why what you wrote had no ground in reality. Dortmund were losing Lewandowski regardless of where he was signing and Bayern were going to add a striker regardless of who it was, it probably would have been an inferior player to Lewandowski but it changes nothing to Dortmund who had no say in it anyway.

Moby

Dick
It wasn't a transfer, Lewandowski was free. And you are trying to deflect when you ask me why I'm defending Bayern when I haven't, I simply explained why what you wrote had no ground in reality. Dortmund were losing Lewandowski regardless of where he was signing and Bayern were going to add a striker regardless of who it was, it probably would have been an inferior player to Lewandowski but it changes nothing to Dortmund who had no say in it anyway.
I'm sorry but I don't have to explain how transfers in football work, and the fact that there are umpteen number of ways to prevent the kind of move we are talking about.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm sorry but I don't have to explain how transfers in football work, and the fact that there are umpteen number of ways to prevent the kind of move we are talking about.
Actually you do have to explain it because you seem to not understand that Lewandowski wasn't transferred to Bayern and was a free agent which was his decision and no one else's.

Lassitude42

German teams are well coached and generally get far more bang for their buck with signings compared to cash-rich PL clubs

Equally, the level of competition in the PL is higher and even the unfashionable teams have a lot of quality and play with pace and intensity. There really are few easy games even for the top teams.

I feel like the overall standard of the PL in terms of lower and midtable clubs has definitely risen in the last few years, although I'm not sure the top teams are as strong as they have been. Liverpool aside, the form is pretty variable...

GameOn

Deflect? My point was that the transfer in question is one of the several reasons why the league descended into being monopolized by Bayern and consequently reaching it's current state of 'turd'. There's no point trying to act as if a move like that had no impact on the quality of the league.
Bayern got three players from Dortmund this past decade, none of them after 2016:

Lewandowski - decided to go there on his own, huge success
Götze - career faded away after he went there; returned three years later
Hummels - was ok for Bayern, nothing more; returned three years later

The only "homerun-hit" was Lewandowski. The other two didn't really tip the needle in favor for Bayern at all.

Since 2016 all the other Dortmund "stars" that left went to Arsenal (Aubameyang), Chelsea (Pulisic), Barcelona (Dembele), City (Gündogan) and United (Mkhitaryan).

The problem isn't really Bayern raiding their league, since all their recent top transfers have come from abroad (Sané, Hernandez, Tolisso, Davies etc.).

The problem is that the international transfer market has been poisoned by all kind of sugar-daddys and investors taking over PL clubs (and PSG), making them so much more financially potent compared to you oldschool Bundesliga, Serie A or La Liga team.

Clubs like Real, Bayern, Barca and Juve can still compete financially, which then affects their respective league of course, since those big clubs can keep their stars, while all other clubs from their leagues lose players to the PL.

Jorsett

Supports
Bayern Munich
36 000 posts in a football forum and you don't know that players can sign pre-contracts as their current one is expiring. Boggles the mind, really.

Pep's Suit

Bayern got three players from Dortmund this past decade, none of them after 2016:

Lewandowski - decided to go there on his own, huge success
Götze - career faded away after he went there; returned three years later
Hummels - was ok for Bayern, nothing more; returned three years later

The only "homerun-hit" was Lewandowski. The other two didn't really tip the needle in favor for Bayern at all.

Since 2016 all the other Dortmund "stars" that left went to Arsenal (Aubameyang), Chelsea (Pulisic), Barcelona (Dembele), City (Gündogan) and United (Mkhitaryan).

The problem isn't really Bayern raiding their league, since all their recent top transfers have come from abroad (Sané, Hernandez, Tolisso, Davies etc.).

The problem is that the international transfer market has been poisoned by all kind of sugar-daddys and investors taking over PL clubs (and PSG), making them so much more financially potent compared to you oldschool Bundesliga, Serie A or La Liga team.

Clubs like Real, Bayern, Barca and Juve can still compete financially, which then affects their respective league of course, since those big clubs can keep their stars, while all other clubs from their leagues lose players to the PL.
If sugar daddies in PL didn't happen then it would be sugar daddies in Italy signing Dortmund players for their clubs (like Hakimi this summer). It doesn't really matter. Lack of competition => limited audience => tv and sponsorship money don't increase => only Bayern can spend €75m on an injured left-back.

manutddjw

I haven't seen any German fan making a thread about how great the Bundesliga is, when 4th placed M'gladbach were seconds away from beating both Real and Inter or when Leipzig easily knocked out Tottenham last year.

Instead it's always some PL fans, that somehow try to shit on other leagues, while completely ignoring that the PL in itself had been completely irrelevant in Europe for half of last decade (2012-2017).

If anything, it's those guys with a weird inferiority complex (probably because they're jealous of clubs like Bayern) ...
I don’t know just reading a bunch of bundesliga fans comments during the Sancho saga gave me this view. It seemed more important to fleece the evil, commercial English club than to keep a top player. If Madrid came for greenwood there’s no price I’d be satisfied with nor would i treat it as a victory if woody said the price was 150 million and we held out for that amount but sold a top player.

JPRouve

Scout
If sugar daddies in PL didn't happen then it would be sugar daddies in Italy signing Dortmund players for their clubs (like Hakimi this summer). It doesn't really matter. Lack of competition => limited audience => tv and sponsorship money don't increase => only Bayern can spend €75m on an injured left-back.
Yeah, it's the same story for France. The issue is the financial gap with other leagues, Dortmund weren't going to keep their top players and they most likely won't in the near future while Bayern can not only keep their best players, pay them as well as any other top club in world but they can alsodirectly compete with the wealthiest clubs on some of their top targets. Clubs like Dortmund, Schalke, Gladbach or Leipzig won't be consistent competition for Bayern until they find a way to get access to large commercial deals.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think the PL is strongest, but last year only Wolves had a good year in Europe. It is not much between the leagues I think.
:lol: you so haven't watched any German league games. The defending! :lol:

TwoSheds

Ole Out Crowd before RB Lepzig match:
PSG was a one-off. We learnt nothing new about Ole, all he can do is to sit deep against big teams and play counter-attacking football. Just wait for RB Lepzig match, they made semi-finals of UCL last year, beating Spurs 4-0 and A.Madrid 2-1 along the way. They are now currently leading Bundesliga and have a future great manager in Julian Nagelmann, whose team play high intensity pressing football that Ole's team are so weak against. Surely Ole will be found out.

Ole Out Crowd after RB Lepzig:
Upacameo is a shite defender; Bundesliga is shite; there is easily 6-7 teams in EPL better than RB Lepzig :rolleyes:
Ole out brigade have to be commended for their creativity in coming up with excuses when he wins a game. I feel like even if we did win a legaue title or a european cup with Ole at the wheel (not that I think we will, I am a one game at a time kind of supporter) that the Ole out brigade would find something to be negative about. It makes me wonder if the Ole outers aren't the type of mentally unstable negatrons that would be Trump supporters, Brexiteers or poppy nazis. A weird but wonderfully entertaining bunch. It takes a special type of headcase to find negativity in every situation, even a 5-0 home win in the Champions League.
:lol: what is wrong with you people, this is a thread celebrating how shit German defending is. What the feck has that got to do with Ole? I feel like anyone who talks about Ole in and Ole out needs to go and suck on a dummy until this season is over, you've all taken this Twitter thing way too far.

masii

As a person who lives in Germany, I can say no one is proud of Bayern except Bayern fans. Bayern is not popular in Germany at all, it is kind of shameful to be their fans outside of Baveria. For some defined and undefined reasons authorities kept big foreign investors out of the German football. I lived in Leipzig for a long time and I know majority of people in Leipzig hate RB Leipzig because of stories behind RedBull and so on, you would know how much leftie the atmosphere of Leipzig is if you visit the city. I suppose, German could somehow protect their football with keeping investors away! However you may say their football is turd. Look at City, Chelsea and etc and how football is unbalanced in the English clubs, you will get your answer!

GameOn

All of them would knock 6 past Augsburg! :lol:
I would fancy Augsburg to beat all those teams convincingly. Augsburg's defense is really good and it's very hard to play against them, which even Dortmund had to experience earlier this season.

Blackwidow

That you say "Augsburg" tells me that you seldom really watched Bundesliga matches...

TwoSheds

I would fancy Augsburg to beat all those teams convincingly. Augsburg's defense is really good and it's very hard to play against them, which even Dortmund had to experience earlier this season.
Good for Germany maybe :lol:

Paul_Scholes18

German league is it not first in the world since Bayern won the CL? How else do we rate the leagues if not by euro performances?

Last edited:

TwoSheds

German league is it not just in the world since Bayern won the CL? How else do we rate the leagues if not by euro performances?
You could try watching them play laughably bad football against each other?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
OP tries a bit too hard. My money is on this being a late bid for the biggest WUM award.

Last edited:

Paula

Supports
Bayern
at least the have atmosphere in their stadiums.
Here it fells mostly like going to a funeral...

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Because the PL doesn't throw up laughably bad games? The Man Utd-Chelsea game at the weekend was horrendous. Wolves-Newcastle the next day did nothing to make up for it nor Burnley-Spurs on Monday.

You're so close to going full Martin Tyler and telling us the Premier League is the only league in the world where late goals are scored and teams come back after losing the opening goal.

rollingstoned1

Agreed. The sanctimonious and pretentious german football hipsters are just as insufferable as those who assume prima facie that is a top league and not just a bunch of teams who are effectively Bayern's feeder clubs and competing for 2nd best. It started from sometime after the 2006 wc. It's not that much better than the ligue 1 in that regard imo. Lyon used to be a powerhouse of sorts a decade ago in that tier.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I am assuming that the Bundesliga Reputation Protection Alliance is at full force just like they were in the Sancho thread.
Right - people responding to a poor, knee-jerk OP is unreasonable now? Those touchy Germans... (most posters here aren't even Germans)
OK, so could you explain one of those umpteen ways in which Dortmund could prevent a player whose contract is up at the end of the season from going wherever he wants afterwards? And/or prevent them from signing a pre-contract?

Personally, I can think of one: they could have refused to play Lewandowsky until he signed an extension or promised not to join Bayern. But Lewandowsky could have sat that out, especially once he had his pre-contract signed. That would only be Dortmund's loss: they would have had to pay his salary anyway but would not have gotten his input anymore. So that's no use. Any better ideas?

TwoSheds

Because the PL doesn't throw up laughably bad games? The Man Utd-Chelsea game at the weekend was horrendous. Wolves-Newcastle the next day did nothing to make up for it nor Burnley-Spurs on Monday.

You're so close to going full Martin Tyler and telling us the Premier League is the only league in the world where late goals are scored and teams come back after losing the opening goal.
Actually both United and Chelsea played really well. That's what good defending looks like!

GameOn

Agreed. The sanctimonious and pretentious german football hipsters are just as insufferable as those who assume prima facie that is a top league and not just a bunch of teams who are effectively Bayern's feeder clubs and competing for 2nd best. It started from sometime after the 2006 wc. It's not that much better than the ligue 1 in that regard imo. Lyon used to be a powerhouse of sorts a decade ago in that tier.
So what about the allmighty PL, that was the laughing stock of European football from 2012-2017?

Some guys are so deluded, it's unbelievable. Like I already said, if we go by that logic then a Real, Bayern or Barca fan can rightfully ridicule every single PL club.

Just enjoy the game ffs and don't talk shit about any league that you probably don't even watch.

Classical Mechanic

Interesting that Scottland is doing so bloody well. Germany after Italy I did not expect either after last year.
Smaller leagues like Scotland have played more games at this point than the bigger leagues so they have an artificially high position. They’ll fall down the rankings as the season goes on.

edit: that’s if you‘re looking at this seasons rankings in isolation.

Paul_Scholes18

Smaller leagues like Scotland have played more games at this point than the bigger leagues so they have an artificially high position. They’ll fall down the rankings as the season goes on.
Last year though they got very high points. Totally smashing Russias points. Not sure getting more spots in Europe will help them though. Since I guess it is Celtic and Rangers that gets most of the points.

Classical Mechanic

Which reflects the current power structure pretty well:
La Liga and PL competing for the #1 spot, Serie A and Bundesliga in a close race for the #3 spot and Ligue1 a distant #5.
None of those leagues is "so much better than the rest" though, despite the PL hype-machine trying to make it sound like that.
I do think this is probably in your imagination. I’ve never really felt that an agenda openly disrespectful of other leagues has been pushed by the PL. I think what you refer to is just basic marketing, like the German league calling Bayern vs Dortmund ‘’Der Klassiker’.

Last year though they got very high points. Totally smashing Russias points. Not sure getting more spots in Europe will help them though. Since I guess it is Celtic and Rangers that gets most of the points.
Stevie G has really improved their standing. They could get an auto CL place next season.

JPRouve

Scout
The German league is boring as feck. I prefer watching the Italian league over the German one.
Hang in there buddy, acceptance and admission are the first steps to recovery.