Gerrard Confirms He's Slipping Off

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It really isnt. I was there for 7 years (admittedly between 11 and 18 so not the most crucial of years) but I will not be going back. The weather is great.
That's about it.
If you're rich, yes it is.

crossy1686

career ending
So now he's said he would have stayed if he was offered the contract during the summer?

So it isn't really about playing time then is it? I knew there was more to this than what was being said.

MDFC Manager

Shots fired!! :D
Scenes!!
Just as I thought. Big man didn't want to be bit part with a one year contract. Good on him on getting the MLS ticket though. Deserves to live the American dream after having to be holed up in Liverpool all his life

crossy1686

career ending
Just as I thought. Big man didn't want to be bit part with a one year contract. Good on him on getting the MLS ticket though. Deserves to live the American dream after having to be holed up in Liverpool all his life
But he was happy to be that if the contract was offered in the summer? Doesn't make any sense.

Quilly

It was good of $tevie MBe to announce his departure 5 months in advance. Having announced it this way, now all us neutrals can be treated to five months of fawning media queries about just what Liverpool will do without him every time he scores a goal or manages to play a pass that doesn't sail over the touchline. We've already had some ludicrous media contortions about how he's footballs ultimate 'one-club man' despite the fact that he's ... erm, leaving to play for another club, unlike inferior one-club men like say, Franco Baresi, Ryan Giggs or Paolo Maldini. He's leaving because his manager told him he needs to have the number of games he plays managed, an idea that Mbe himself is 'totally fine' with even though he's now leaving, the conversation reluctantly revealed to the press by $tevie but obviously not to throw Brendan Rodgers under the bus as the reason for his departure in the middle of a difficult season. This whole media fuss isn't about $tevie Mbe, honestly, it's about the fans deserving to know the truth - Jason Tew

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Fair dos to him then. I wouldn't stick around for a 1 year contract after what he's done for them. It reminds me of Pirlo leaving Milan for Juve because of the same thing, a deal Milan will still be kicking themselves for.

Quilly

Fair dos to him then. I wouldn't stick around for a 1 year contract after what he's done for them. It reminds me of Pirlo leaving Milan for Juve because of the same thing, a deal Milan will still be kicking themselves for.
Why not? It was Ok for Giggs, he signed 1 year contracts at a time. That's Gerrard's problem, his ego.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
No doubt $tevieG and the club have fallen out somewhat. Henderson came out saying how important Gerrard is behind the scenes so surely he's the kind of guy that needs keeping on the coaching/management side rather than allowing him to piss off to obscurity in the US.

Nogbadthebad

No doubt $tevieG and the club have fallen out somewhat. Henderson came out saying how important Gerrard is behind the scenes so surely he's the kind of guy that needs keeping on the coaching/management side rather than allowing him to piss off to obscurity in the US.
I'm guessing here, but I get the feeling it wasn't about playing time, and it was more about some insulting monetary offer in the contract. A large pay-cut to stay with reduced game time. And here I can kind of see his side, stevie me is stevie me, but if he plays 20 games a year or 50 next season, he will no doubt be their number one shirt seller, face of the business and the one demanded by all major sponsors. In those circumstances, his value should be very similar whether he is on the pitch or on the bench.

I think this is a false economy from the bean counters that will really backfire. He should be like Giggs, the link between the old and new. I have no idea if Giggs is any good at management, but Van Gaal new the value of having a link to the clubs history their to help him along.

Last edited:

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Why not? It was Ok for Giggs, he signed 1 year contracts at a time. That's Gerrard's problem, his ego.
Why does debate around Gerrard have to be framed around some notion of ego?

Your logic here is rather stretched. Giggs accepted a period of managed decline in his late 30s. That was perfectly fine and suited him personally. Gerrard is 34 and believes he can still play most games - not what Liverpool offered. He gets a very good contract abroad and will play ever game. Decision made.

I don't believe a heightened sense of ego has determined his decision anymore than it would do for any player.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Sparky Rhiwabon

I still think that he will end up staying at Liverpool next season, one way or the other. We already know he is weak-willed after he changed his mind on going to Chelsea - likes his comfort zone too much,

Sparky Rhiwabon

Its a shame he's going to be leaving under a cloud, somewhat tarnishing his legacy with the club

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Think we're being a bit biased here. It looks like Gerrard is fully aware that he can't play nonstop every game but...he wants to play anyway. That may not make a lot of sense but he's aware of the contradiction at least. Sure, it's a kind of perverse denial (though not unknown in human nature); however, it's not necessarily a sign of oversized ego.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Can't help but feel he's wasting himself by going to the MLS (sorry MLS fans) ... it was only less then a year ago that he was putting in high quality performances for Liverpool week in week out...

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
So now he's said he would have stayed if he was offered the contract during the summer?

So it isn't really about playing time then is it? I knew there was more to this than what was being said.
It is about playing time. In the summer the conversation about managing his games massively hadn't been had yet.

He would have signed a one year contract in the summer. His last contract was a two year one. Go on, tell me how that's egotistical.

Its a shame he's going to be leaving under a cloud, somewhat tarnishing his legacy with the club
He's not tarnished his legacy in the slightest.

Think we're being a bit biased here. It looks like Gerrard is fully aware that he can't play nonstop every game but...he wants to play anyway. That may not make a lot of sense but he's aware of the contradiction at least. Sure, it's a kind of perverse denial (though not unknown in human nature); however, it's not necessarily a sign of oversized ego.
He knows he can't do it at the highest level so he's dropping down to a level where he can.

r0x0rwolfo

Your logic here is rather stretched. Giggs accepted a period of managed decline in his late 30s. That was perfectly fine and suited him personally. Gerrard is 34 and believes he can still play most games - not what Liverpool offered. He gets a very good contract abroad and will play ever game. Decision made.

I don't believe a heightened sense of ego has determined his decision anymore than it would do for any player.

The question is:

Would you rather be rested every couple of games or so, or drop down to significantly lower quality football? It's not necessarily an ego thing, he knows he doesn't have the legs for the premier league any more and has accepted a step down to a lower league, he can't handle not being the main man at Liverpool but at least he realises this and has made a decision.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
The question is:

Would you rather be rested every couple of games or so, or drop down to significantly lower quality football? It's not necessarily an ego thing, he knows he doesn't have the legs for the premier league any more and has accepted a step down to a lower league, he can't handle not being the main man at Liverpool but at least he realises this and has made a decision.
Following this line of argument it could be argued he's not acting on ego. Quite the opposite as he's taking a step down.

jaimoe

Maybe but they will fawn over Slippy G over here, wherever he goes the dippers will come out to pay homage and hope that he can slip for them just one more time.

jaimoe

The question is:

I'll be the first to grant you that the MLS is not anywhere near the EPL but it is not as bad as some of you think it is. This is all about being a big fish in a small pond, kind of like the King and his trawlers.

jaimoe

It really isnt. I was there for 7 years (admittedly between 11 and 18 so not the most crucial of years) but I will not be going back. The weather is great.
That's about it.
That's a ridiculous generalization. I would say it all depends on where you were and who you ran with. The US is the land of opportunity. Your beer is better but we are catching up.

finneh

It is about playing time. In the summer the conversation about managing his games massively hadn't been had yet.
Difficult to say, could just as easily be about money. I can't imagine Liverpool offering the same terms he's currently on, whilst he's playing sporadically and from the bench. I can imagine the halving of his six figure weekly salary wouldn't go down too well either. In his situation I think quite a lot of people would feel that they'd earned the right to continue their great wage until retirement.

I'm sure the conversation with Brendan whereby he'll have been told his wage would be halved to reflect his play time being managed; it wouldn't be the latter that he'd be most annoyed about. Although both sides will merely speculate I'd say the fact that he isn't going to another Champions League team in Germany, Italy or Spain is quite telling (making the decision when it is mathematically impossible for Liverpool to quality, to avoid looking like a hypocrite).

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Seems to me he has given up on winning the Prem and just wants to enjoy his final years. His head had definitely gone this year.

Quilly

Well there lies the problem. Gerrard believes he can still play most games, however as his performances this season have shown he is not as capable as he was and managing his game time could of prolonged his career.

Please don't wheel out the 'he knows he cant do it at the top level so is dropping down a level' line, because as he has stated today, he wanted to stay.

His ego is telling him he can play every game and no doubt the terms of the contract would of been significantly less due to the fact his appearances would have been more restricted, which he couldn't accept.

Kostur

海尔的老板
#StevieLa G

Not only la' but as well a G.

It's almost as if they're taking the piss now :lol:

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Well there lies the problem. Gerrard believes he can still play most games, however as his performances this season have shown he is not as capable as he was and managing his game time could of prolonged his career.

Please don't wheel out the 'he knows he cant do it at the top level so is dropping down a level' line, because as he has stated today, he wanted to stay.

His ego is telling him he can play every game and no doubt the terms of the contract would of been significantly less due to the fact his appearances would have been more restricted, which he couldn't accept.
There you go again. You're framing this around 'ego' as if Gerrard's behaviour is any different to that of most people, let alone players. Of course he has an ego, just like everybody. But I don't think this story hangs on his ego any more than it would somebody else.

It's just the usual pop-psychology Gerrard bashing.

FujiVice

A fitting tribute to the great man. I shed a tear watching it, in fairness.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Following this line of argument it could be argued he's not acting on ego. Quite the opposite as he's taking a step down.
He couldn't handle being just another player at the club, he couldn't handle having to rotate with mere squad players - he wants to go somewhere he can be the leading star yet again. He's an egotistical twat.

crossy1686

career ending
Gerrard obviously feels like he's been forced out of Liverpool with all the latest stuff he''s been saying.

Expect him to throw some more manure when he leaves and when Rodgers does.