Get behind the manager and club

AFC NimbleThumb

If our club followed the mindset of the Ole outers we'd have missed out on the most glorious period in our entire history as Fergie wouldn't have even been manager when the PL debuted.

Criticising the manager is fine. I do it too. But people don't and just say sack him. There's a difference.
That’s the mindset, back OgS cause one of the greatest managers in sporting history had a slow start at the same club.

Your thought process is just as, if not more flawed than people calling for OgS to be sacked with no succession plan.

I’m neither in nor out cause I’m past caring but could you enlighten me as to the ‘thought process of an Ole outer’? I’m seeing a lot of fans that doubt OgS being spoken of as a monolith but it’s seemingly stoic to back OgS based on what sir Alex did in the 90s.

Both sides can make rather reasoned arguments but mentioning SAF & OgS is an unreasonable reach.

AFC NimbleThumb

I never quite got this narrative, Ferguson was the ultimate anomaly. I could flip what you say and say if Chelsea listened to the give managers time brigade and kept faith with AVB (not just at United but at other clubs too) we wouldn't have had the greatest night of our history or if Real said "we should give Benitez time because you can't sack a manager before they have a full season" they wouldn't have made history with 3 CL's on the spin.

I'm not giving an opinion on Ole either way as you lot watch his tactics more regularly so are more qualified to do so but whenever i see the (and quotes similar to) "what should we do keep sacking managers?" line (from any fanbase) the answer is if you have too absolutely yes, if a manager's doing shit you sack him and try again, if a manager had success but stagnates you sack him and start again (like we did transitioning from Mourinho to Conte via Hiddink or Real from Ancelotti to Zidane via Benitez). If you can find a suitable long term manager then ofcourse that's the ideal, but joining the sacking culture is infinity times a better option than giving a manager who's not cutting it time.
This forum is rife with ***** who actually seem ashamed of our success & want to wear this period of our history as some badge of honour where they ‘backed the manager & the club’.

If I could be bothered to trawl their post history the same sanctimonious lot are more than happy to let players they don’t like & the owners [you know, members of ‘the club’ they claim to wholeheartedly support] have it with both barrels.

You have to be Ole in or Ole out; Fred has to be the most underrated midfielder in England or crap, Maguire has to be a brilliant ball playing CB or a cart horse - you’re not allowed any nuance on here.

If OgS leaves a failure he won’t be the first manager to do so at a big club & he certainly won’t be the most astute one to have done so either. That said, he may actually come good but instead of quarrelling over what might have been it’s about time his results are judged on what occurs in the 90 minutes of football played instead of what our xG says should of happened etc.

I want nothing more than for OgS to be Fergie incarnate but that doesn’t mean I can’t also be realistic with his limitations.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
This thread is the exact reason why ole, a fan favorite ex legend was hired by the club. Despite being unqualified manager while many others are still available.
It divides fan opinion and helps board to deflect blame and buy time. Any other manager with this level of no clueless performances that depends on individual brilliance this much, you'd be calling for his head. But not a club legend. You just can't.
I exaggerate but you get the point.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
This forum is rife with ***** who actually seem ashamed of our success & want to wear this period of our history as some badge of honour where they ‘backed the manager & the club’.

If I could be bothered to trawl their post history the same sanctimonious lot are more than happy to let players they don’t like & the owners [you know, members of ‘the club’ they claim to wholeheartedly support] have it with both barrels.

You have to be Ole in or Ole out; Fred has to be the most underrated midfielder in England or crap, Maguire has to be a brilliant ball playing CB or a cart horse - you’re not allowed any nuance on here.

If OgS leaves a failure he won’t be the first manager to do so at a big club & he certainly won’t be the most astute one to have done so either. That said, he may actually come good but instead of quarrelling over what might have been it’s about time his results are judged on what occurs in the 90 minutes of football played instead of what our xG says should of happened etc.

I want nothing more than for OgS to be Fergie incarnate but that doesn’t mean I can’t also be realistic with his limitations.
Tbf it's not just a thing isolated to United fans, all the top clubs in this country seem to have a significant section of the fanbase who make excuse after excuse for mediocrity, the only fanbase in England where the vast majority actually act like they support big club is ironically City's.

Thankfully our owner doesn't accept mediocrity, but other clubs (Arsenal especially) aren't so lucky!

mancave bear

As a supporter, you should always support the club. And we have a young team, which in nature will be inconsistent, so it can be hard to not be disappointed every now and then.

But we are heading in the right direction, and have proved that we can beat some of the very best teams in Europe. When the team gets more seasoned and mature, we will get consistency at top level, and we will be back at the top were we belong : )

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
But we are heading in the right direction, and have proved that we can beat some of the very best teams in Europe. When the team gets more seasoned and mature, we will get consistency at top level, and we will be back at the top were we belong : )
Can someone inform the moderators that some positivity has somehow escaped? :lol:

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
The manager/team and the club aren't the same.

You can be supportive of the manager and players whilst being critical of Woodward, the Glazers and the wider club.

mancave bear

The manager/team and the club aren't the same.

You can be supportive of the manager and players whilst being critical of Woodward, the Glazers and the wider club.
Excactly. They are the problem. But as suporters we should get behind the team.

simplyared

Difficult to get behind the manager after his contribution to last nights game. His actions (or non-actions) cost the club big time. I'm finding it difficult!

croadyman

Difficult to get behind the manager after his contribution to last nights game. His actions (or non-actions) cost the club big time. I'm finding it difficult!
I still cannot stand his inability to not prioritise signing a CDM this summer, he needs to wake up and accept that he has got it wrong in trusting Fred & McTominay to do the job of one person and it's why we don't create enough chances for our forwards as well

el3mel

Enjoyed this on the Guardian about the polemic reaction to everything United and Solskjaer currently: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/03/the-fiver-manchester-united-and-the-blame-game
It's a cool article if anyone wants to comfort himself about United and feel there's absolutely no problem. The reality is after winning the first 2 games we're now in a position that we need a result in Germany just to get through, and in the league that game in hand people keep talking about we don't even know when it'll be played.

My only Eric

It's a cool article if anyone wants to comfort himself about United and feel there's absolutely no problem. The reality is after winning the first 2 games we're now in a position that we need a result in Germany just to get through, and in the league that game in hand people keep talking about we don't even know when it'll be played.
Or if we'll win it or even get a draw

Valencia Shin Crosses

But the reality going in was that apparently we weren't going to get out of the group of death because we were with the UCL finalists and semi-finalists. Yet we've outplayed pretty much everyone so far, had a terrible result in Istanbul and a bad decision cost us at least a point last night. Yet we still literally only need a draw to go through. Christ people are acting like we have to go play Pep and Messi in Barcelona and win.

el3mel

But the reality going in was that apparently we weren't going to get out of the group of death because we were with the UCL finalists and semi-finalists. Yet we've outplayed pretty much everyone so far, had a terrible result in Istanbul and a bad decision cost us at least a point last night. Yet we still literally only need a draw to go through. Christ people are acting like we have to go play Pep and Messi in Barcelona and win.
Still don't get from where this BS consensus come from. Just because you read one or two posts thinking we're going to get out doesn't make it the general view before the group began.

I'll also say the consensus for me was it would have always been PSG first and United second in this group. If anyone is making assumption I'll make my own too.

The reality is after so much hard work we have put in the first two games we should have been done with the group yesterday, not needing a result in the last game at all really.

The article in the Guardian is cool but as I said, it's only there if someone is insecure and wants to comfort himself about United that there's absolutely no problem.

Sweet Square

Just over a month ago

These 2 matches really showed we belong to this level of football on our day. We're top class team. Our squad is top class and it's really time for us to start challenging for bring prizes again. I'll be really disappointed if we didn't challenge for the league or made a proper CL run within the next 2-3 years. We're up to it.

We just need now to be more consistent and put such performances week in week out in every competition. Rebuilding of the squad is nearly done for me. We don't need much anymore. It's now time to take it to next step and become a consistent team and challenge for big things.

croadyman

Still don't get from where this BS consensus come from. Just because you read one or two posts thinking we're going to get out doesn't make it the general view before the group began.

I'll also say the consensus for me was it would have always been PSG first and United second in this group. If anyone is making assumption I'll make my own too.

The reality is after so much hard work we have put in the first two games we should have been done with the group yesterday, not needing a result in the last game at all really.

The article in the Guardian is cool but as I said, it's only there if someone is insecure and wants to comfort himself about United that there's absolutely no problem.
Yeah it stings that we haven't wrapped up qualification after getting off to such a brilliant start

el3mel

Just over a month ago
Yeah nothing in my initial post contradicts my one today ? Yes on our day we're world class team that belongs to this level, and yes after so much work in the first 2 matches we shouldn't be in the current position now wanting a result in Germany.

Nothing in this old post talks about the manager at all either.

Nice try but should have searched for a post in which I predicted us to get demolished in this group to prove your point that I'm contradicting myself.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Fernandes screaming at him to make a change was pretty damning too.

Sweet Square

Yes in our day we're world class team that belongs to this level
Not just on our day but the squad is world class as well and the rebuilding process is nearly done! Sounds like theres no problems at all! Do you write for the Guardian ? But seriously it is funny seeing posters bitch about some article praising Ole when just over a month ago they were calling the team and squad world class.

Nothing in this old post talks about the manager at all either.
''We're top class team. Our squad is top class'' ''Rebuilding of the squad is nearly done for me''

I'm guessing the manager has an impact in these things or maybe Ed is the real genius.

el3mel

Not just on our day but the squad is almost world class as well and the rebuilding process is nearly done! Sounds like theres no problems at all! You do write for Guardian ? But seriously it is funny seeing posters bitch about some article praising Ole when just over a month ago they were calling the team and squad world class.

''We're top class team. Our squad is top'' ''Rebuilding of the squad is nearly done for me''

I'm guessing the manager has an impact these things.
Not really I mentioned the consistency as a problem in this post.

And as for my post today it's talking about thinking we have absolutely no problem on our hand after yesterday's loss and in the league as well. Pretty obvious really.

I still stand by my point in the initial post and I have actually been saying similar things recently. I have entered several discussions very recently with people telling them we have a great squad and we should be challenging for things within the the next 2 years at least. Nothing has changed from my perspective. We're a world class team on our day and we should be challenging for big trophies. I don't see any more rebuilding needed. It's about being consistent and we're not.

Again nice try but I'm not seeing the point here. Seems like you're nitpicking at anything to look cool in front of others. The post shows that I'm evaluating our team much higher than many here who wants to treat every single win as an achievement for us. If you're bringing older posts try to bring ones that I'm talking in 180 opposite degree to what I'm saying now, then I'll take the L and say you're right.

As for the article, no bitching about it, it's a cool article indeed but again it's for those who are insecure and want to comfort themselves after yesterday's result. I know about that feeling too.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I get behind the club. But Ole isn't my cult leader. I think it's embarrassing to see such a proud club as ours with him, former legend he may be.

Can you think of any other top club where the player's screaming at their manager to make a decision whilst playing? Bruno might as well be player/manager himself, with the way he's carrying us right now. I shudder to imagine if he gets injured, the facade will truly be wiped away.

Apparently we were celebrating in the changing room after beating Southampton at the weekend. I know it was a good come back but really, we're 9th. How small time is that?

It was only 7 years ago we had the highest standards possible with SAF, now we're celebrating a victory after 10 games like we've won the title?

It boils down to I believe a proud club with traditions such as ours should always strive to appoint the best manager we can find. Would he even get a PL job after here? With the likes of Ancelotti & Hassenhüttl at Everton/Southampton I doubt it.

How is it right that lesser clubs can show more ambition and have better managers than us?

Last edited:

Sweet Square

It boils down to I believe a proud club with traditions as ours should always strive to appoint the best manager we can find. Would he even get a PL job after here? With the likes of Ancelotti at Everton I doubt it. How is it right that lesser clubs can show more ambition and have better managers than us right now?
Sir Alex was hired from Aberdeen(Although achieving great success there), had quick stint at the Scotland job and then arrived in 86 and didn't win the league until the 92/93 season.

Sir Matt Bubsy was a football coach in the British army.

Our proud traditions is appointing people from Scotland.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Sir Alex was hired from Aberdeen(Although achieving great success there), had quick stint at the Scotland job and then arrived in 86 and didn't win the league until the 92/93 season.

Sir Alex broke up the Old firm dominance and won European trophies with Aberdeen of all clubs. He was awarded an OBE for his achievements in Scotland before he set foot here. We appointed him on a bit more than being Scottish.

Our proud traditions are what SAF left behind. A juggernaut of a club, top of the tree, one of the biggest in the world, with the highest standards.

Now we're reduced to celebrating meaningless victories in the grand scheme of things like we've just won the title, whilst sitting in 9th place. Is that not embarrassing? No wonder we choke at the highest stakes every time if that's our mentality.

Last edited:

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Under Ferguson’s guidance, Aberdeen experienced the greatest period of success in club history, winning three Scottish Premier Division title, four Scottish Cups, and a European Cup Winners’ cup.

Ferguson’s unprecedented achievements at Aberdeen led to managerial offers from some of the most prestigious clubs in Europe before he signed for United.

And no the Scottish league is not comparable to the Norwegian, Celtic and Rangers had already won European cups then.

Ole has already been managing for 10 years before we signed him and has not made any kind of reputation for himself as a manager, (was there a single United fan that wanted or even mentioned Ole as a manager before he took over as care taker?

Greck

I'm also wondering where the consensus came from. Did I miss a poll? All those masterclass whoop whoop threads surely weren't made in anticipation of crashing out of the tournament at a later date. Also a lot of expectations were what they were precisely because sceptics took into account who the manager was

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Under Ferguson’s guidance, Aberdeen experienced the greatest period of success in club history, winning three Scottish Premier Division title, four Scottish Cups, and a European Cup Winners’ cup.

Ferguson’s unprecedented achievements at Aberdeen led to managerial offers from some of the most prestigious clubs in Europe before he signed for United.

And no the Scottish league is not comparable to the Norwegian, Celtic and Rangers had already won European cups then.

Ole has already been managing for 10 years before we signed him and has not made any kind of reputation for himself as a manager, (was there a single United fan that wanted or even mentioned Ole as a manager before he took over as care taker?
Dont want to detract from your post, but they also won the 1983 European Super Cup vs Hamburg too who were reigning European champions at the time.

Their 1983 European Cup Winners Cup, they had to beat Bayern Münich in the quarters and Real Madrid in the final.

Since he left Aberdeen, no other club apart from Celtic/Rangers have won a single league title ever since.

Last edited:

redmanx

My word we don't half have a bunch on moany self entitled brats in our fanbase. 4 wins from 8 isn't amazing but neither is it disastrous. We're 5pts behind Chelsea having played a game less than them and also above City.

We've lost 3 games. Okay not great but look at the context of them. 2 of the 3 defeats we've had you can easily put down to fitness. Palace (loss), Brighton (win) n Spurs (loss) were all far sharper than we were and it was clearly evident. We were fortunate to beat Brighton too of course. The PL did us no favours with the start to the season. Same applies to City. Only half of our squad even played a bleeding friendly ffs. How is that fair? I think Palace played 2 friendlies, 1 league game and 1 Carabao cup game before we played them. How is that fair in any world? We were massively up against it as I said we were going to be when I made the article about resting players in the Europa League in July. We'd already secured CL football at Leicester. We should have sent Bruno and a few other key players on their holidays and forgot all about the EL. Would have been nice to win but it wasn't a priority. You win the EL to get back in the CL not to parade down the streets.

And putting the schedule aside for a second....we've also had our captain arrested, players testing positive for Covid, Mason losing a close friend to suicide among other issues. And not only all that....Ed Woodward has once again messed up another window at the club. Seriously that guy has more lives than a cat. How on earth he still has his job is beyond me. People talk about Ole being out of his depth....Jesus christ. What does that make Woodward then? He's a disaster.

Has it been a great start? Not at all. But all things considered it's been far from the disaster some fans are painting it to be. We're already among the chasing pack for top 4 and we've barely got going so far this season. The best is yet to come for us. Win the next 2 and we'll be right up there and that's a lot earlier than we were up there last season.
Well said.

redmanx

I blame covid19.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Dont want to detract from your post, but they also won the 1983 European Super Cup vs Hamburg too who were reigning European champions at the time.

Since he left Aberdeen, no other club apart from Celtic/Rangers have a single thing ever since.
Thanks yes. Sir Alex had a huge reputation before we signed him and that why he deserved time and patience, Ole on the other hand has been a manager for 10 years without making any kind of reputation for himself as a manager. He was never even mentioned as manager by anyone before he took over as caretaker for us.

Sweet Square

Sir Alex broke up the Old firm dominance and won European trophies with Aberdeen of all clubs. He was awarded an OBE for his achievements in Scotland before he set foot here. We appointed him on a bit more than being Scottish.
Sense of humour ? Fergie wasn't the best manager in world football at the time

Our proud traditions are what SAF left behind. A juggernaut of a club, top of the tree, one of the biggest in the world, with the highest standards.
No thats the success he left behind, Tradition isn't simply winning.

Might be crazy for some but United didn't start or end with Fergie. The United tradition is mostly playing youth players and mostly attacking counter football, thats about it with the odd Scottish genius thrown in.

Now we're reduced to celebrating meaningless victories in the grand scheme of things like we've just won the title, whilst sitting in 9th place. Is that not embarrassing? No wonder we choke at the highest stakes every time if that's our mentality.
Wft are you on about ?

Honestly if the post Fergie United is making you this miserable then just go and watch on some old vhs from the 90's. I really don't think some supporters have accepted that Manchester United are never going to have the same level of success as they had under Fergie ever again. For a numbers of reasons(The money in the PL, Fergie is one off genius, etc etc).

It's not embarrassing to realise that maybe it's not easy to replicate the achievements of greatest manager in club football history.

Er....
Sir Alex was hired from Aberdeen(Although achieving great success there),

Also I didn't compare Fergie achievements in Scotland to Ole in Norway.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

While it's obviously not at the same level, Ole did take Molde to their first ever league title then won it a second time the following year. Then in his third year they won the Norwegian Cup for only the third time in their history.

Obviously it wasn't enough to make the jump to Utd if it weren't for his history with us, but he had been fairly successful at a low level.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Sense of humour ? Fergie wasn't the best manager in world football at the time
Humour is hard to gauge on the internet. If he wasn't, he was on the list, after his achievements with them.

No thats the success he left behind, Traditions doesn't = winning.
I regard our club standards as tradition don't you? If we're so used to it, only knowing one way for 20 years, that's tradition no? I hate the argument of just because things might have been different before SAF, we can use that to justify incompetence now. The club what SAF inherited to what he left behind is unrecognisable.

Wft are you on about ?
Ralph Hasenhuttl says that Man Utd were celebrating “like they had won the Premier League” after their 3-2 win over Southampton.

“You can hear them celebrating in their dressing room,” Hasenhuttl said following the match.

“You know what you have done today and how tough an opponent you have been because they were celebrating like they had won the Premier League.
We're 9th. That says it all about our mentality. Is that acceptable to you?

Sweet Square

We're 9th. That says it all about our mentality. Is that acceptable to you?
Aren't we like 5 points behind the league leaders with a game in hand ?

Also completely shocking that the club is celebrating a 2-3 comeback!

Honestly mate just call it quits on the whole United thing, you're only going to make yourself(And others)miserable.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Honestly if the post Fergie United is making you this miserable then just go and watch on some old vhs from the 90's. I really don't think some supporters have accepted that Manchester United are never going to have the same level of success as they had under Fergie ever again. For a numbers of reasons(The money in the PL, Fergie is one off genius, etc etc).
I'm not looking for us to replicate the same level of success as SAF. Not at all. But I've got somewhat of an understanding of what a top mentality looks like, after seeing the best in the game for 20 years here. And ours now is not it. Am i supposed to just accept that?

I totally disagree with this type of argument. Because it's the exact same that's used to justify our current league title drought. Just because Liverpool went 30 years without a title, that doesn't mean we're destined to do the same and that we should just accept it.

They ended it because they got a top manager in Klopp who turned them into winners. We're the ones in control of our destiny. If we bring in a top manager tomorrow maybe we'll start to win things again too. But it's not going to happen by itself with the general mentality of the club.

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Aren't we like 5 points behind the league leaders with a game in hand ?

Also completely shocking that the club is celebrating a 2-3 comeback!
We've seen 20 years of SAF. There's a time and place for it. We had one day of celebrating after PL & European titles, then we're back at it the next day. Do you think you would catch them celebrating whilst 9th? I'm not miserable at all. I just refuse to delude myself with the current embarrassments.