Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The cartoon villain in me enjoys the transition from elation to disbelief to anger to sadness in players who have these goals dissallowed over their shoesize. (Pep in the CL last year was fecking brilliant)

If I were President of my country I would probably invade the country the VAR's from if it went against my club though.

Jev

If he's offside, he's offside. Dem da rulez
No-ones denying that. It's the rules, and the fact that VAR enables them to be enforced in almost childishly pedantic ways, that's being criticized.

Skills

Snitch
Not me, there was a clear space on that one. Many a decision has been made where you have no fecking clue, it's like a pixel on a screen.
Yup, referees have been fecking them up for years. This one was right though.

I wonder how hard it is to automate the entire thing though. Offside calls are almost impossible to refs, especially if the pass is coming from 30 yards away

Skills

Snitch
No-ones denying that. It's the rules, and the fact that VAR enables them to be enforced in almost childishly pedantic ways, that's being criticized.
Why's it pedantic? I don't really understand why anyone would complain about a key and potentially multimillion pound decision being awarded correctly.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Think the difference between VAR in football as opposed to tennis or all the American sports where gamss usually end with scores like 1038302 - 1038301, is that a goal in football is a really big thing. Which means that having it overturned after performing your entire victory dance makes you really sad.

In the end offside's just offside though. Whether it's a millimeter or half the pitch. Pausing the situation at the exact nanosecond is a different story of course.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
It's not being pedantic when the difference can be champions league football or not. It's a matter of principle.

Jev

Why's it pedantic? I don't really understand why anyone would complain about a key and potentially multimillion pound decision being awarded correctly.
Before VAR, let's say a goal was scored and allowed to stand. After the game, some obsessive person decided to spend an hour of his precious time pausing and reversing replays and came back arguing that the goal should have been disallowed because the scorer's toe-nail was offside. What would you have told him?

My bet is you would have told him to get lost and get a life. Because before VAR, common sense still prevailed. People understood that football was a game of margins and human errors, and that getting every single offside call right down to the last millimetre wasn't just impossible, it wasn't even something to aspire to.

Now, common sense has been replaced by pedantry, and the tosser who was laughed at for shouting "but his toe-nail was offside!" is now the tosser calling the shots.

It genuinely baffles me that there are football fans who don't see it this way.

RORY65

It's not being pedantic when the difference can be champions league football or not. It's a matter of principle.
I listened to a cricket podcast earlier where they explained the issue with it quite well. In cricket DRS gives wickets as much as it takes them away, VAR seems to only be there to disallow goals for very marginal offsides despite the technology being flawed so it's effectively just making the game less enjoyable.

Skills

Snitch
Before VAR, let's say a goal was scored and allowed to stand. After the game, some obsessive person decided to spend an hour of his precious time pausing and reversing replays and came back arguing that the goal should have been disallowed because the scorer's toe-nail was offside. What would you have told him?

My bet is you would have told him to get lost and get a life because before VAR, common sense still prevailed. People understood that football was a game of margins and human errors, and that getting every single offside call right down to the last millimetre wasn't just impossible, it was unwanted.

Now, common sense has been replaced by pedantry, and the tosser who was laughed at for shouting "but is toe-nail was offside!" is now the tosser calling the shots.

That happens already - MOTD/Sky Sports make up most of their post match analysis about marginal calls like this.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I listened to a cricket podcast earlier where they explained the issue with it quite well. In cricket DRS gives wickets as much as it takes them away, VAR seems to only be there to disallow goals for very marginal offsides despite the technology being flawed so it's effectively just making the game less enjoyable.
I'm getting more enjoyment now knowing that I'm less likely to be annoyed at a referee.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

My bet is you would have told him to get lost and get a life. Because before VAR, common sense still prevailed. People understood that football was a game of margins and human errors, and that getting every single offside call right down to the last millimetre wasn't just impossible, it wasn't even something to aspire to.

Now, common sense has been replaced by pedantry, and the tosser who was laughed at for shouting "but his toe-nail was offside!" is now the tosser calling the shots.

How is getting all offside calls right not something to aspire to? If I found out Iniesta's 2010 goal was offside by a metric so small it hasnt even be invented yet, I would petition FIFA for a replay of the final until the day I die.

These calls feel shite and unfair, but they're not, they're fair. It's a fecking buzzkill for everyone but the team benefitting from it, but offside is a very clearcut rule.

I think using VAR for i terpretation calls like handball are much more suspect.

Jev

That happens already - MOTD/Sky Sports make up most of their post match analysis about marginal calls like this.
Before VAR, no sensible person would bemoan an offside call as marginal as the ones we're now seeing overturned week in, week out. That's simply not true. There was no-one, not a single person, who felt that the point of VAR was to overturn offside decision that requires pausing and reversing multiple replays. VAR was meant to correct obvious mistakes. A toe-nail offside can never be an obvious mistake.

Jev

How is getting all offside calls right not something to aspire to? If I found out Iniesta's 2010 goal was offside by a metric so small it hasnt even be invented yet, I would petition FIFA for a replay of the final until the day I die.

These calls feel shite and unfair, but they're not, they're fair. It's a fecking buzzkill for everyone but the team benefitting from it, but offside is a very clearcut rule.

If that's the case, then I believe our understanding of what football is and should be is so far apart that there's no point discussing any further.

I can only point to the way VAR is currently used and say: That's why.

Sigma

The problem is the technology and the people operating it aren't as accurate as they make it out to be, there has to be a margin of error accounted for in there somewhere (and I'm a big proponent of VAR). The frame after which the ball has been passed from the 'assist maker', the thickness of the line, and the parallax effect all have to be taken into account to get the correct decision, and this doesn't seem to be taken into account in that palace goal. I think with the introduction of VAR, the offside rule should be amended in some way (not sure what though to be honest).

Jev

The problem is the technology and the people operating it aren't as accurate as they make it out to be, there has to be a margin of error accounted for in there somewhere (and I'm a big proponent of VAR). The frame after which the ball has been passed from the 'assist maker', the thickness of the line, and the parallax effect all have to be taken into account to get the correct decision, and this doesn't seem to be taken into account in that palace goal. I think with the introduction of VAR, the offside rule should be amended in some way (not sure what though to be honest).
I think it could actually be fixed, or at least improved, easily enough with some common sense: No pausing, no slowing down, no reversing or fast-forwarding and a 20 second time-limit. If you can't call it easily within two or three replays, then it's just not an obvious error, and so the call stands. Simple as that.

Sigma

I think it could actually be fixed, or at least improved, easily enough with some common sense: No pausing, no slowing down, no reversing or fast-forwarding and a 20 second time-limit. If you can't call it easily within two or three replays, then it's just not an obvious error, and so the call stands. Simple as that.
I disagree with having a time limit but I think the no editing of a picture may actually be a good idea.

montpelier

Where's your bad VAR decision tonight?

Nothing clear/obvs imo on the pen to enable an overrule of the ref's decision.

You're all agreed it's offside.

Just saying.

Jev

Just saying.
Most of VAR's critics actually acknowledge that it leads to more correct calls (which it obviously does), we just think it kind of ruins the game in the process.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

Just saying.
Eh? Lindelof got nothing of the ball and all of the man. That's pretty clear and obvious to me.

montpelier

Eh? Lindelof got nothing of the ball and all of the man. That's pretty clear and obvious to me.
Well me, the ref and the VAR say it isn't clear.

I'm not saying Lindelof doesn't bundle into him but what actually happens I don't know.

arnie_ni

No doubt that Ole’s United has benefited most from Var. Probably have given him 20 pts this season
Apart from tonight, how?

I cant think of any decision we've got that we shouldnt have been given.

Oh the villa penalty but the on field ref gave it anyway as was the case for most of them.

The only big var decision i can remember was evertons offisde disallowed goal.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Most of VAR's critics actually acknowledge that it leads to more correct calls (which it obviously does), we just think it kind of ruins the game in the process.
Exactly.

Not one person out of the millions watching this game would have had a problem with that Crystal Palace goal. It would never have been called offside at any stage in the history of football apart from this year.

I don't care about getting to tournaments if I can't celebrate a goal properly without worrying about it being overturned like that.

It's just not football. I don't understand people who like it

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Anecdotally I don't think it's led to more correct calls in the premier league this season. So many dreadful mistakes, selective reviewing of incidents, even offside hasn't been applied consistently. Very obvious bias towards Liverpool till they won the title and Spurs till they couldn't make top 4.

It's been abysmal!

Not even talking about the process and game slowdown.

I thought it was working well in La Liga until last few games, they tried to manufacture a title race or not sure exactly what went wrong? R Madrid suddenly got every decision going for them, with the usual selective reviewing (see Bilbao game) etc we had already seen in the premier league all season.

Skills

Snitch
Exactly.

Not one person out of the millions watching this game would have had a problem with that Crystal Palace goal. It would never have been called offside at any stage in the history of football apart from this year.

I don't care about getting to tournaments if I can't celebrate a goal properly without worrying about it being overturned like that.

It's just not football. I don't understand people who like it
You've never seen a linesman wrongly call a goal offside?!

Revan

Assumptionman
Are people complaining again that VAR correctly disallowed a goal for being offside?

Seems that people have made their mind before VAR was even introduced. It does not matter that it is working correctly, that it is disallowing illegal goals, moaners gonna moan. Well, naught to do, maybe after a decade or two they will stop moaning.

montpelier

I think so too. I said at the beginning more correct decisions wasn't going to be better. They said it had to be.

Doesn't seem like it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Are people complaining again that VAR correctly disallowed a goal for being offside?

Seems that people have made their mind before VAR was even introduced. It does not matter that it is working correctly, that it is disallowing illegal goals, moaners gonna moan. Well, naught to do, maybe after a decade or two they will stop moaning.
How correct was it? No one really knows

Revan

Assumptionman
You've never seen a linesman wrongly call a goal offside?!
Hush, linesman never did mistakes before VAR. In fact they might have done, but they weren't mistakes. Cause as we all know, a totally objective decision like offside, should be a subjective one and depend on the mood of the referee.

Skills

Snitch
I never had a problem with an offside called wrong. It's wrong but it's immediate.

VAR sucks the life out of football. It removes the elation of scoring goals which is unforgivable for me
I don't know about you, but I was elated about that goal being rescinded. So I guess the net elation was probably about the same.

Jev

Hush, linesman never did mistakes before VAR. In fact they might have done, but they weren't mistakes. Cause as we all know, a totally objective decision like offside, should be a subjective one and depend on the mood of the referee.
That kind of strawmanning doesn't suit anyone. Only makes you look childish.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I genuinely don’t think it’s a foul.

zaha steps over the ball and throws his leg into lindelofs path.he initiated the contact while Lindelöf tries to kick the ball.

these buffoons can’t even see it :lol:

hubbuh

feck me Robbie Savage is absolutely insufferable. It's patently not clear and obvious, though! He gets the ball!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I don't know about you, but I was elated about that goal being rescinded. So I guess the net elation was probably about the same.
You celebrate disallowed goals the same way you celebrate a goal scored?