Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Rafaeldagold

Now don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the fallout on the Blue moon meltdown thread as much as the next guy, but I do think that was a ridiculous decision. In my view the contact with the hand didn't sufficiently alter the flight of the ball.

I'm still fiercely pro-VAR, and ultimately it's not a VAR problem, it's a problem with the laws of the game.
Yes but before VAR overseeing everything that goal stands regardless of the new rule

RUCK4444

Yes but before VAR overseeing everything that goal stands regardless of the new rule
This is exactly the problem! Aside from the awful new handball rule without VAR that goal stands. Robs fans and neutrals of an exciting last minute winner because a ball literally grazed a players arm.

The clear and obvious they said, absolute bollox. Only a matter of time before they review throw ins

Rafaeldagold

2 games into the season and people want to abandon it. How do you make any progress with anything if you want to quit something before even trying it.[/QUOTE
Just like football has always been. VAR tries to correct certain mistake but it will never ever correct everything without any reasonable doubt.
Which brings us to the point..is it really worth it? Is it worth sucking the joy & raw emotions out of goals now knowing every one is being reviewed in case of a Mm offside or an accidental handball or something that happened in the build up?

Is it worth going from 95-98% accuracy when the game we all love is being changed beyond recognition?

Technology is good but not in football (except Goal line technology which is instant & unambiguous) which many don’t seem to understand.

To some it’s worth the game changing to get slighter better accuracy, for me never. I absolutely hate not being able to celebrate properly Incase var rules it out. Football is going to become sterile & lose its passion which is sad.

Ollie Derbyshire

As with anything new there will be contentious calls that the media will whip everybody into a furry over but at the end of the day VAR decisions are upholding the laws of the game.

It’s going to take a while for everyone to get used to it but they will and in time I believe it will prove to be a positive for the game as technology has in many other sports.

For those saying they would complain about a decision like City’s going against us, surely it’s better that any handball that leads to a goal is ruled out instead of it being a split decision by 1 person. Everyone knows where they stand at the start of the season so just get on with it. What if we had a goal ruled out and City/Liverpool didn’t leading to a winner, I’m sure fans would be screaming blue murder about that as well, but as long as we can argue about the decision in the pub it’s all ok yeah? I’d rather have the correct decision anytime.

The one area that does need work and hopefully will get it is the offside rule, but that’s the rule not VAR implementing it. I agree with the clear daylight idea and not if a body part is offside.

Overall I think VAR is doing its job and it’s people who can’t let go off the old times that are causing the issues for thier own agendas.

Reactions: Ødegaard

Sigma

Which brings us to the point..is it really worth it? Is it worth sucking the joy & raw emotions out of goals now knowing every one is being reviewed in case of a Mm offside or an accidental handball or something that happened in the build up?

Is it worth going from 95-98% accuracy when the game we all love is being changed beyond recognition?

Technology is good but not in football (except Goal line technology which is instant & unambiguous) which many don’t seem to understand.

To some it’s worth the game changing to get slighter better accuracy, for me never. I absolutely hate not being able to celebrate properly Incase var rules it out. Football is going to become sterile & lose its passion which is sad.
But it isn't doing that.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Yeah I agree, however, my main issue with VAR is that sometimes with a million replays it’s still subjective for a lot of decisions. Supporters will have to accept that it’s still down to a referees opinion, as it’s not tennis where a ball is in or out. Obviously they are looking at clearing up the rules, but it’s very hard to make things black and white.
It’s not meant to be perfect though. It’s meant to help the referee or VAR referee make a judgement. People may still end up disagreeing with a judgement.

Rafaeldagold

But it isn't doing that.
It is for me. Every goal now if I think there’s a possibility of a small infraction I’m not celebrating as much. Like Dan James one last week.
VAR isn’t progress for football

Rafaeldagold

Indeed. It's taking emotions out of the decision itself but if anything, it's adding drama to the game.
So you’d rather the drama in a game come from var in a tv studio somewhere minutes after the action on the pitch? That feeling & adrenaline of a goal going in to be replaced by muted cheering long after the Goal or no goal?

Really?

dove

Love it, one of the best things to happen to football for years and it will get better and better every year. Some help from technology was well overdue in football especially seeing that most other major sports use it for years now.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
VAR isn’t the problem, rules are. They are way too strict and don’t take into consideration the real advantage gained by being a millimeter offside or having the ball brush the hair on your arm.

I don’t think it’s taking away the emotions though. If anything it actually adds more drama to football.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
So you’d rather the drama in a game come from var in a tv studio somewhere minutes after the action on the pitch? That feeling & adrenaline of a goal going in to be replaced by muted cheering long after the Goal or no goal?

Really?
I don't accept that the feeling & adrenaline of a goal has been diminished.

I was talking about the emotions of the ref being taken out of the situation.

Rafaeldagold

I don't accept that the feeling & adrenaline of a goal has been diminished.

I was talking about the emotions of the ref being taken out of the situation.
Well you have to accept it as it’s how I & many others feel.

How can you not when EVERY goal is being reviewed.

duffer

Scout

Sure but without wanting to sound rude, I don't care how you feel when a goal goes in. There's always been the chance of an offside flag ruling a goal out, this is not all that different.

With VAR at least you can be confident that you're less likely to be fecked over by a terrible decision. If the cost of that is you enjoying goals less, I'm happy for you to pay that cost!

Rafaeldagold

Sure but without wanting to sound rude, I don't care how you feel when a goal goes in. There's always been the chance of an offside flag ruling a goal out, this is not all that different.

With VAR at least you can be confident that you're less likely to be fecked over by a terrible decision. If the cost of that is you enjoying goals less, I'm happy for you to pay that cost!
Oh it’s massively massively different to an offside flag come on. Offside flag is instant & you can tell straight away, VAR is a long time after the fact.

Honestly I couldn’t care how you feel either about actually liking goals meaning less incase of a terrible decision- we’re losing so much to gain for not a lot. Football is a GAME & we’re making it less spontaneous & enjoyable to watch. (Don’t care about how much money is in the game blah blah blah- that isn’t a reason to destroy it to make sure we get from 95-98% ‘correct’ decisions.)

It’s not progress for the game. If you care about correct decisions & not wanting to feel fecked over by a decision why not look at every incident? Every tackle, every throw in, corner. ?

Why not just let var re watch the game a few days later to give the correct score?

duffer

Scout
Honestly I couldn’t care how you feel either about actually liking goals meaning less incase of a terrible decision- we’re losing so much to gain for not a lot.
It's not about me liking goals less, it's about getting fair results. I think it's worth it.

The Man City fans were gutted with VAR yesterday but what about the Spurs fans (or the Man United fans on here)? VAR did not remove emotion, it added to it.

VAR has potential if done right. It'll take some time to implement properly as they are still learning I suppose. Wish they had waited a bit with the bigger leagues with VAR till they felt 100% comfortable with it.

VAR should in my opinion only be used to overrule huge decisions. A forward being 1 inch offside or minimal contact with a defenders arm in a somewhat natural position isn't crucial. Diving, huge offsides and cheating in general is where I'd like to see VAR being used. If the referee doesn't see it that is.

Rafaeldagold

It's not about me liking goals less, it's about getting fair results. I think it's worth it.

The Man City fans were gutted with VAR yesterday but what about the Spurs fans (or the Man United fans on here)? VAR did not remove emotion, it added to it.
Well I don’t think it’s worth it. The only things VAR has picked up so far have been small infringements, not any massive referring errors (because surprise surprise they weren’t that bad before var either)

I think it’s pretty sad to think that celebrating a no goal is the same as a goal- it’s not the same feeling at all either.

I’m a Manchester United fan but I care about the game as a whole & anyway var will rule out a perfectly good goal for us in the future so stupid to feel any joy out of city yesterday.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

That's fine, nobody can argue with how you feel.

However, when you ask "Is it worth sucking the joy & raw emotions out of goals?" you have to realise that you're in the minority in feeling that way.

If it was sucking the emotion from the game for everyone that would be a fair question. But in reality the question is "is it worth it if it sucks the emotions out of games for a few fans while most are fine with it?" In which case the answer is a lot more likely to be yes.

cyberman

This is exactly the problem! Aside from the awful new handball rule without VAR that goal stands. Robs fans and neutrals of an exciting last minute winner because a ball literally grazed a players arm.

The clear and obvious they said, absolute bollox. Only a matter of time before they review throw ins
The ball doesn't fall to Jesus without that handball so its more than just a graze?
I welcome the new clampdown to be honest. Liverpool had a streak last year of scoring offside after offside goal, dive after dive and very little was made of it. Smaller sides were getting screwed over but the Liverpool are back narrative took over that they were getting praised for it! Fecking fans think Spurs should have went out of the CL to an offside goal just to spite VAR!
Offside is offside and handball is handball. The period of pretending to read a players mind if it was intentional or if the dominating side deserved that bit of luck are over.
Also the one aspect fans don't talk about is how the wrongfully given off sides are gone. They were the killer and have now become obsolete.
Well done VAR.

Anders80

Keeping the game fair and ensuring goals are according to rules is a good thing, in my opinion. Some of the new rules, however, might not be.

I think what it boils down to is that some people prefer to have an unfair game where dives, handballs and offside goals are a part of the game because it gives them excitement and a rush.

For others, they want the sport to be played fairly by ensuring rules are followed and unjust goals are removed. They still find VAR to be exciting in its own way.

It's a matter of perception, but I do think the overall majority favors VAR. Some of the new rules, however, isn't VAR's fault. You need to make that distinction.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Who said they are the same? Not me. The opposition getting a goal disallowed has always been great fun, not the same as scoring a goal of course.
Tbf Poch did say yesterday that the emotion of having those two City goals cancelled was the same as scoring a goal. Though his brain may be addled from VAR at this point.

Rafaeldagold

New thing bad, old thing good.

Am I doing it right boomers?
I’m 31 & not a boomer so.. once again a pathetic pro VAR argument.

Technology is good in many areas of life..implementing it in football isn’t..is that too hard to grasp?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
New thing bad, old thing good.

Am I doing it right boomers?
People have a general issue with change. VAR itself is not the problem, rather the implementation and the general rules. Imo it is clear that football needs technological support. Or do people forget all the shitty decisions by refs?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

You also have to accept that others prefer it this way, that teams aren't being robbed of their efforts because of poor decisions. How would Spurs fans feel now if the goal wasn't disallowed? Their feelings don't count, only yours?

Rafaeldagold

People have a general issue with change. VAR itself is not the problem, rather the implementation and the general rules. Imo it is clear that football needs technological support. Or do people forget all the shitty decisions by refs?
VAR itself is the problem- it just isn’t a system that works with football.

No there were not massive amounts of decisions refs were getting wrong at all. Not a huge wave of clear & obvious errors. Just fans & managers upset 50/50’s went against them.

Now we still have shitty decisions & a lot of wasted time & the enjoyment of a goal being diminished yet still with a game that isn’t ‘fair’ .

Rafaeldagold

You also have to accept that others prefer it this way, that teams aren't being robbed of their efforts because of poor decisions. How would Spurs fans feel now if the goal wasn't disallowed? Their feelings don't count, only yours?
‘Robbed’ bloody hell the drama.

A spurs fan along with players in the pitch wouldn’t have battered an eye lid if it had counted as nobody even thought it wasn’t a perfectly good goal before our saviour var stepped up

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
‘Robbed’ bloody hell the drama.

A spurs fan along with players in the pitch wouldn’t have battered an eye lid if it had counted as nobody even thought it wasn’t a perfectly good goal before our saviour var stepped up
Nobody thought. feck me. It isn't a crime if you don't get caught?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ok. But Laporte never gained possession of the ball?
They typically count getting a touch on the ball as "gaining possession", that's just the way they phrase it in the rules. There are other rules (offside maybe?) where the term has been used in the same way in the past, so you're not going to see similar incidents adjudicated any differently because of it.

The real problem with the new rule is that it punishes attackers for something it wouldn't punish defenders for, which is hardly ideal. Though even with defenders the only way to be sure you won't give a handball away is to keep your hands low and within the silhouette of your body.

fps

The whole thing was invented for modern day snowflakes that can't handle a bad decision against them. Even if the technology was there in past era's i'm sure the idea would have been laughed out of the room if somebody suggested it.
Using the word "snowflake" loses a lot of points in terms of taking you seriously. We can clearly see how many people are unhappy that the decision was made, as there would have been many unhappy about whether the decision wasn't made. People online tend to react badly to things, but people like this have always existed, just without the outlet for their off, impotent rage.

Personally, I find it bizarre that people care quite this much, but here we are. My two cents are that the correct decision was made, in terms of the rules as they stand, and yes something seriously needs to be done about the offside rule - I believe it should be from the hips down that must be level or behind when the ball is played. If the feet are entirely behind or level, then there hasn't been an advantage gained, in my view.

Rafaeldagold

Nobody thought. feck me. It isn't a crime if you don't get caught?
It’s a game. It’s not a ‘crime’ if you were 1mm offside in the past or there was a slight foul in the build up, or if ball was close to going out of play 50 yards back so had to he reviewed.

It’s all so pathetic & now the game is ruined because of it. Good job

QoS

Supports
Liverpool
"Huge decision" is subjective. Different people will have different opinions on what constitutes a huge decision. I'd rather have consistency, even if the margins are small. Think it's good they've changed the rules to make decisions like yesterday black and white.

And yes I am fully aware it's going to go against us at some point and I am going to be devastated. But at least itll be fair.

VAR has potential if done right. It'll take some time to implement properly as they are still learning I suppose. Wish they had waited a bit with the bigger leagues with VAR till they felt 100% comfortable with it.

VAR should in my opinion only be used to overrule huge decisions. A forward being 1 inch offside or minimal contact with a defenders arm in a somewhat natural position isn't crucial. Diving, huge offsides and cheating in general is where I'd like to see VAR being used. If the referee doesn't see it that is.