Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
So unless I'm missing something, a professional referee watched the defender tug Martial to the ground, from the wrong side, and decided it was not a foul? That actually happened?

I mean, I can't blame VAR at that point. Maybe the Pawson was in the loo or something.

Josep Dowling

Big advocate of VAR but if that non penalty decision is gonna be given, you may as well pack in the whole lot.
This is my perspective on it. This idea that they cannot overrule certain decisions is ridiculous. If it’s the wrong decision it should be overturned.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
feck it off. It's pointless unless it's used properly, which it isn't being. Instead of one shit ref, we now have two. Great.

bdecuc

So unless I'm missing something, a professional referee watched the defender tug Martial to the ground, from the wrong side, and decided it was not a foul? That actually happened?

I mean, I can't blame VAR at that point. Maybe the Pawson was in the loo or something.
Probably even more bizarrely it seems the VAR couldn't review it because the foul started outside the penalty area. The bizarre bit is that if a foul starts outside the penalty area and continues in then it's a penalty. So that's a breakdown of the VAR system.

R'hllor

Are you really surprised that when it comes to bit of subjective decisions, they will overrule their colleges!? Tell them they are wrong, make them look bad in front of everyone? I would be amazed if many decisions being overruled by mafia members in front of monitor, in non black and white situation. They cant do shit in that case.

City vs Spurs - Oliver didnt even watch the situation, did his mate point at his mistake? Nope
Norwich vs Chelsea - Dared to fix Atkinson feck up? Nope
United vs Palace - They wouldnt overturn penalty given and they wont overturn refs calls on the pitch in another situation.

All in all, welcome to VAR in PL, who could predict this shitshow. Its like dealing with organization, cover for each other where ever its possible.

AlwaysRed66

I am in a minority as always been against VAR, as in reality it can never work properly, except for things like offsides. I just wonder how many of the people moaning now are VAR supporters, but not happy when decisions go against you club like today. Cannot have both ways. Either support it or you don't

K13

I am a little concerned because we are only at week 3 and it is already causing confusion and some decisions have been blatantly wrong.

At the moment it looks as though refs are happy to have it because it takes the heat off them. I thought it was suppose to improve and add to the decision making process. It does not seem to be doing that.

ROFLUTION

I am a little concerned because we are only at week 3 and it is already causing confusion and some decisions have been blatantly wrong.

At the moment it looks as though refs are happy to have it because it takes the heat off them. I thought it was suppose to improve and add to the decision making process. It does not seem to be doing that.
Giant pitfall imo. Pens are not given because they think VAR will catch it - good example in our game today. Its a sleeping pillow.

El Zoido

I am in a minority as always been against VAR, as in reality it can never work properly, except for things like offsides. I just wonder how many of the people moaning now are VAR supporters, but not happy when decisions go against you club like today. Cannot have both ways. Either support it or you don't
I support it in concept, it should increase the number of correct decisions even if there are still mistakes.

Big issue with it today because that was 100% a penalty on Martial and VAR said no. Cannot for the life of me understand how that can’t be given and my only explanation is referees protecting one another. This is an issue.

ROFLUTION

Would be nice with a new poll after 5 or 10 games.

I mean in the current one, people are probably a bit biased by having heard about VAR in other leagues / seen it at the World Cup. Would be nice with one, after we've seen the impact in PL in a couple of games.

K13

Giant pitfall imo. Pens are not given because they think VAR will catch it - good example in our game today. Its a sleeping pillow.
I have not heard that expression before - 'sleeping pillow'. Is that a Danish expression?

I think you have a good point .. Sheffield Utd also had one not given today. Player taken down in the box.

Yet VAR spotted the 'tiny hand contact' to deny Jesus the winner for Man City last week.

I am sure behind the scenes there must be ongoing communication between the clubs and the FA.

It was OK when humans made the mistakes but a machine suggests the programming has gone a little awol.

SirAF

Ageist
I have not heard that expression before - 'sleeping pillow'. Is that a Danish expression?

I think you have a good point .. Sheffield Utd also had one not given today. Player taken down in the box.

Yet VAR spotted the 'tiny hand contact' to deny Jesus the winner for Man City last week.

I am sure behind the scenes there must be ongoing communication between the clubs and the FA.

It was OK when humans made the mistakes but a machine suggests the programming has gone a little awol.
It’s a scandinavian expression directly translated, it doesn’t really work that well in English :D

It means that something is making you too relaxed/complacent etc.

VAR is fine imo, but they have to bloody use and apply the same standards to every match. We’re still talking about humans looking at monitors and making the calls.

ROFLUTION

It’s a scandinavian expression directly translated, it doesn’t really work that well in English :D

:lol: Alright, alright - the World is not ready for our scandinavian expressions yet. Pretty sure they're often asleep in the VAR booth though.

Rafaeldagold

Wait are you telling me the god send that is var can be inconsistent? Who would’ve guessed when this amazing technology is just another ref looking at a replay.

Who could’ve guessed it wouldn’t work in football

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Ronaldo had a goal disallowed in the first half today. His forehead was offside, made no difference in the goal. Some vindication for the people in here that many of us have been arguing against that they don't like people being judged offside by a few millimeters. I agree with that I didn't expect to see it so soon but the incompetence that I've seen this weekend from the VAR room across 3 leagues has been staggering.

I do still believe that we should utilize video technology in the game but the way it's been implemented and interpreted is not good enough.

K13

VAR is fine imo, but they have to bloody use and apply the same standards to every match. We’re still talking about humans looking at monitors and making the calls.
Thanks for clarifying the expression.

Don't the humans only look at the monitors if VAR alerts them because its algorithms have seen something wrong?

RochaRoja

Ronaldo had a goal disallowed in the first half today. His forehead was offside, made no difference in the goal. Some vindication for the people in here that many of us have been arguing against that they don't like people being judged offside by a few millimeters. I agree with that I didn't expect to see it so soon but the incompetence that I've seen this weekend from the VAR room across 3 leagues has been staggering.

I do still believe that we should utilize video technology in the game but the way it's been implemented and interpreted is not good enough.
But...but...VAR works perfectly in Serie A and other leagues and it’s only in England that it’s been a total dud.

kidbob

Thats a clear red for Cahill, penalty for Martial and a stupidly obvious penalty for City against Spurs denied despite VAR. The technology is fine but being used by idiots. So far I have seen those 3 clear decisions wrong and that's just the ones I'm aware of. When such clear decisions aren't corrected but we can flag Sterling offside by a mm has anything really changed in fairness to the game?

K13

It is a bit of a mess - against Wolves Martial was level and the Ref blew him offside yet if he had left it to VAR it would have been OK. I wonder if the refs are not use to it and there will be a few games to bed it in.

stevoc

From what i've seen of VAR in the Premier League so far is 99 times out of 100 they just agree with the refs decision even if its wrong.

In which case the whole thing is pointless and should be scrapped. I suspect the English refs don't want to be shown up so they've all agreed to back each others decisions and just overrule the odd one to make a show of it. And of course in the process make themselves look like amazing refs who get most of their decisions right.

Rafaeldagold

Thats a clear red for Cahill, penalty for Martial and a stupidly obvious penalty for City against Spurs denied despite VAR. The technology is fine but being used by idiots. So far I have seen those 3 clear decisions wrong and that's just the ones I'm aware of. When such clear decisions aren't corrected but we can flag Sterling offside by a mm has anything really changed in fairness to the game?
Stop saying the technology is fine it’s just the people using it are terrible.

That means VAR has a fatal flaw that was always there & will always be there- all it is is another Red looking at a replay.

VAR as a whole isn’t suitable for football and never will be

K13

Agreed -all the incidences you mention probably pre VAR would have been OK. Sterling a mm offside was just ridiculous, I don't think anyone would have raised any concerns if the goal had stood.

stevoc

There needs to be some common sense applied to the offside rule, it should only be judged by both your feet and legs.

What sort of fecking advantage are you gaining by your forehead being offside for feck sake.

SirAF

Ageist
:lol: Alright, alright - the World is not ready for our scandinavian expressions yet. Pretty sure they're often asleep in the VAR booth though.
:D
Thanks for clarifying the expression.

Don't the humans only look at the monitors if VAR alerts them because its algorithms have seen something wrong?
I don’t know, but I’m pretty sure the refs in the video room are constantly watching. I’d hope so!

Snow

But...but...VAR works perfectly in Serie A and other leagues and it’s only in England that it’s been a total dud.
It probably works best in La Liga because the refs there have usually been the most strict as in judge by the book and forego common sense so their VAR calls are justified from their refereeing standpoint although most of us would disagree with them.

England is the worst because it feels like they're still very much afraid of contradicting the call on the pitch so VAR is only coming into place when the referee legitimately misses something but that's just not good enough improvement. If you have the technology, properly use it!

lysglimt

Scout
I am changing my vote now - I want VAR gone. After today, it's impossible to justify it

lysglimt

Scout
I never saw the situation in a replay - but shouldn't Zaha have been sent off when we scored the equalizer ? He was on a yellow and he flattened Pogba just after he released the ball

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
They looked at Pogba's foul on Milivojevic a potential red card, but did they look at what happened after the whistle went? It might've been my crappy stream, but it looked like McArthur put a fist into Pogba's stomach as he tried to get the ball back for the free kick, and it made Pogba react angrily.

Snow

There needs to be some common sense applied to the offside rule, it should only be judged by both your feet and legs.

What sort of fecking advantage are you gaining by your forehead being offside for feck sake.
Even if he had his foot offside there wouldn't have been any advantage from that situation. Looked in real time like Ronaldo played the line perfectly but apparently he didn't according to the letter of the law. If only his face was less protruded.

Snow

I never saw the situation in a replay - but shouldn't Zaha have been sent off when we scored the equalizer ? He was on a yellow and he flattened Pogba just after he released the ball
And Milivojevic should have gotten the 2nd yellow when he fouled McTominay for the pen.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He could have been sent off immediately after being booked, as he sarcastically clapped at the referee for booking him. Didn't Rooney get sent off for doing that once?

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

VAR does it's job perfectly with offside decisions. What is wrong is the law set out by IFAB in the first place. It's a joke. Should be that if any goalscoring part of the attacker is level with any goalscoring part of the defender, then he's onside.

K13

I do love what Ole has said ...
"I think we were unlucky with Martial's clear and obvious penalty," Solskjaer said. "It's a nailed on one and I think when the referee sees the game he'll know he's not had his best games. It's a nailed-on penalty, he won't slip if he doesn't have a 100 kilo centre back on his shoulders."

ROFLUTION

Another conundrum with an offside in the Liverpool vs Arsenal game. Aubameyang is offside, but the ref doesn't call it, because he expects VAR to do so. (Another "sleeping pillow" :D)

VAR then doesn't interrupt (for whatever reasons) and then Arsenal gets a corner from Auba's effort. Creating a chance Arsenal never should have had in the first place. Imagine if they'd scored on that corner.