Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
It wasn’t a foul. Let me ask you, is every contact between two opposing players a foul? Like every time they touch each other? Or does it have to be an actual foul? Origi clearly dived
In my opinion no contact doesn't equal foul but that's not how the game has been reffed for the last decade, going by the standards they have set that was a foul, compared to the penalty we had given against us at Anfield Lindelof practically snapped his leg, that is the standard of decision that is usually given.

People slag off Mike Dean, rightfully so but he is miles ahead or Atkinson, but VAR won't work until Mike Riley is sacked and a new head of PGMOL make they implement it properly
Is simulation allowed?
I got told on other forums after our game at Anfield that it can both be a foul and a dive, that's what this was, might help if refs gave fouls without players going down though

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Thought both decisions were fine. Origi situation is touch and go, but it's not a clear and obvious error and Atkinson was looking straight at it. Mane touches it with his hand, it's accidental and unfortunate but it's a shit rule that's been applied correctly.

Jev

I just don't like it, it doesn't achieve what its meant to and it's way too inconsistent in its implementation.

Refs get things wrong sometimes, this is sport and it's the way of the world. The only reason VAR exists is money and for me it should have been left out of the game.

People will pile on I'm sure and I don't care, it's ruining the sport.
It really is. Just look at the headlines after a PL round,VAR is the only thing we're talking about. That was never the point.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Both goals should have stood in my opinion. It shows the problem with how VAR has been implemented: two debatable situations, people still disagree after the replays. VAR simply shouldn't be used for that. If it's still debatable after the replay, it's not an obvious error, and the ref's call should stand.
Whatever about our goal, the Liverpool goal certainly shouldn't have stood. It was explicitly and unambiguously against the rules.

LARulz

It's to do with whether its the same phase of play or not. Chinese league has disallowed goals for a foul about 120 seconds before the goal was scored (which is a joke). If City pass the ball for 30 passes then at some point a new phase of attack will most likely have started.
But say City just pass it around the edge of the opposition box, no possession loss, shot or anything. Just KDB and Silva having a party. Then they score a minute later, is that still the same phase?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
controlled is a bit strong, rightly ruled out but it was contact with the hand rather than him actively controlling the ball with it
He trapped the ball between his arm and leg. I’m sure you’re watching a different game

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
But say City just pass it around the edge of the opposition box, no possession loss, shot or anything. Just KDB and Silva having a party. Then they score a minute later, is that still the same phase?
no, once City go backwards and the defenders are back in position a new phase of play would have started

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I just don't like it, it doesn't achieve what its meant to and it's way too inconsistent in its implementation.

Refs get things wrong sometimes, this is sport and it's the way of the world. The only reason VAR exists is money and for me it should have been left out of the game.

People will pile on I'm sure and I don't care, it's ruining the sport.
Do you think Var works well in other countries? Because if so, don't blame the technology, blame the Premier League's rules they've introduced. It's only inconsistent in its application because the Premier League have watered it down, neutering it effectively. It's very rarely allowed to overturn decisions, even if the Var ref's think the ref has made a mistake. We don't even see ref's going to the monitor to have another look. That tells you everything you need to know.

Jev

Whatever about our goal, the Liverpool goal certainly shouldn't have stood. It was explicitly and unambiguously against the rules.
You're right about Liverpool's, in that case it's the handball rules that are moronic in my opinion.

Sweet Square

Adds an element of surprise to matches.
I'm not sure if its the fault of fans or VAR but at the moment it feels very random. Most of us thought it would be used for clear feck ups and not certain phases of play. I get why it was used on Lindelof tackle on Origi but at that point whats the use of the ref at all ?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
He trapped the ball between his arm and leg. I’m sure you’re watching a different game
it his his hand but he didn't control it, he doesn't have to now it simply hitting his hand rules it out you don't need to make stuff up

Dan_F

Can people just read the new handball rules instead of complaining about VAR? It’s quite jarring. Even without the rule change, he’s used his arm to help control the ball and gained a huge advantage. Intentional or not it shouldn’t be a goal.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Do you think Var works well in other countries? Because if so, don't blame the technology, blame the Premier League's rules they've introduced. It's only inconsistent in its application because the Premier League have watered it down, neutering it effectively. It's very rarely allowed to overturn decisions, even if the Var ref's think the ref has made a mistake.
I don't want other countries football to have a view on that.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
1st one isn't a foul for me. There's contact on his leg, then a delay, then he flings his head back and goes over.

2nd one I'm not sure. Doesn't look like deliberate handball, but I guess the rule has changed for handball leading up to a goal. I thought it was scoring with the hand, rather than just a handball happening in the build up?
Both goals should have been disallowed. The 1st is soft but it is technically a foul as he does not touch the ball. The 2nd is definitively not a goal as he has handled it.

My problem with VAR is not VAR itself but its implimentation as atm it is just being used to back up the refs bad decisions. Best examples of this was Liverpool's pen against Leicester and Watford's against Spurs. Both should have been reversed but they weren't because they 'do not want to re-refferee the game'.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I don't want other countries football to have a view on that.
Ok, did you watch the World Cup/Euros? What did you think of that? Were you fine with their application because the way the PL have directed Var, is not the general standard.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Can people just read the new handball rules instead of complaining about VAR? It’s quite jarring. Even without the rule change, he’s used his arm to help control the ball and gained a huge advantage. Intentional or not it shouldn’t be a goal.
without the rule change it would have in all likelihood stood

padr81

Supports
Man City
Wasn't even a foul, he barely touched him and Origi hit the floor. Both decisions were correct though the handball ruling really does need looking at.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Ok, did you watch the World Cup/Euros? What did you think of that? Were you fine with their application because the way the PL have directed Var, is not the general standard.
I can't think of examples but no I remember not liking it then either.

As I said in my initial comment, people will disagree with me, that's fine.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I can't think of examples but no I remember not liking it then either.

As I said in my initial comment, people will disagree with me, that's fine.
If you didn't like it even in the national competitions then that's fair enough.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Looked a foul to me, unless kicking a player is allowed.
Those little touched on the leg happens like 400 times in every match, Origi made a proper meal of it.
Imagine if such a soft touch on the back of your leg made you jump and fall forwards like that... The scenes on the dancefloor on night clubs :lol:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Both goals should have been disallowed. The 1st is soft but it is technically a foul as he does not touch the ball. The 2nd is definitively not a goal as he has handled it.
Disagree, didn't look a foul. Contact on the leg, the delay between the contact and him going over was clear simulation. Not all contact is a foul.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Pull the other one. There is only one club in Manchester. It's reddish blue. :p:angel:

GGT

THe foul in the lead up to the goal, it is not for VAR to judge, var got every decision right today.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
As a Liverpool fan,

I think the United goal is a foul on Origi. Its a poor referring decision not to give the foul but VAR is consistent not to overrule the referee. Liverpool were playing poorly though and United deserved to take the lead when they did.

The Mane 'goal' was again consistent to be ruled out. I knew as soon as I saw the replay it would be ruled out for the same reason City had a late goal ruled out at home to Spurs.

Something that concerns me about VAR though is that it actually encourages players to draw the foul more.

Going back to the Mane penalty win against Leicester, If there is contact and the player goes down, can a referee tell every single time exactly how much contact there is and if its definitely a foul? Obviously the answer is no, so if VAR backs up the decision as long as its not clear and obvious then from a players perspective its actually better to draw the foul?

montpelier

As a Liverpool fan,

I think the United goal is a foul on Origi. Its a poor referring decision not to give the foul but VAR is consistent not to overrule the referee. Liverpool were playing poorly though and United deserved to take the lead when they did.

The Mane 'goal' was again consistent to be ruled out. I knew as soon as I saw the replay it would be ruled out for the same reason City had a late goal ruled out at home to Spurs.

Something that concerns me about VAR though is that it actually encourages players to draw the foul more.

Going back to the Mane penalty win against Leicester, If there is contact and the player goes down, can a referee tell every single time exactly how much contact there is and if its definitely a foul? Obviously the answer is no, so if VAR backs up the decision as long as its not clear and obvious then from a players perspective its actually better to draw the foul?
100 % agree, I think. Adding in that refs (Atkinson today too) can hide behind a VAR system that isn't doing anything even, as well - which is a bit of a strange concept. Klopp even having a go at VAR because he avoids getting into trouble.

I don't see that Origi's foul is ever really a VAR issue given where it happens on the field, it's just bad/unlucky refereeing of the kind that has always happened anyway - ''I'm not giving every contact as a FK, oh bugger, they've gone & scored''