Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's not the image VAR used though. Just the one they showed on tv

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
That's the only thing we got. Without them, he'd look offside too.

Shitty from TV stations to show faulty lines, if that's the case.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's the only thing we got. Without them, he'd look offside too.

Shitty from TV stations to show faulty lines, if that's the case.
Shitty of whoever's in charge of VAR images to not give them to the TVs

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Shitty of whoever's in charge of VAR images to not give them to the TVs
Yeah, definitely agree. But is that a fact though? Some TVs probably get right images?

That's why I liked VAR on WC, you could've seen on the ref monitor that we had same images.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The Ajax goal looked onside watching live, what do we think of this?

I think VAR is great, very sceptical about how it's being used though and why...

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Think about what football means and what it represents and then think about whether VAR used there matched up with that.
I don't know if the rule is correct, i.e. penalty award is the right decision, but if so then the rule has been followed perfectly. And as it was a goal based decision VAR was used at the correct moment for it.

This is top level football where rules are drummed into players, staff, etc. This is not a kick around with your mates in the park.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Think about what football means and what it represents and then think about whether VAR used there matched up with that.
"What football means and what football represents" is a vague and meaningless term given football means and represents different things to different people. Also, there are plenty of rules that would fly in the face of that abstract notion. We don't just ignore them because we think it will make Wumminator happy.

In this case I would have had zero problem with the outcome if the ref had spotted it himself, so I have zero problem with it via VAR. It's entirely the fault of the off-field player, who should know better as a professional footballer than to stop the ball before it has left the pitch.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us

I think VAR is great, very sceptical about how it's being used though and why...
Just as I thought. Millimeter close offsides can be easily manipulated by tilting the line, using the wrong frame or god knows what else.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

In this case they may well have used the technology wrong, though it's worth pointing out that the wrong image was also provided to the broadcaster. The still going around showing the actual offside isn't the final image, which you can tell because of the line colours. The player may well have been offside when the ball was struck anyway as he was leaning forward but it's impossible to know when we aren't given the right footage so I would count that as a definite error, one way or another.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Once again we have a week where the inconsistency is terrible. We can argue about whether the Keane incident was a penalty all we want, but if that penalty is given, why is VAR not looking at the Richarlison incident at a corner in the first half as a penalty either? If it has been looked at by VAR then why isn't it a penalty? I see no difference between either in terms of giving a penalty. If one is a penalty then the other should be given too. Inconsistency is shite and ruins games. Our mental collapse was shocking but it's also infuriating when we were in complete control of the game before that VAR decision.

The fact that another referee can overrule the match referees decision aswell is bonkers to me. All VAR decisions should be reviewed by the ref at pitchside.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Once again we have a week where the inconsistency is terrible. We can argue about whether the Keane incident was a penalty all we want, but if that penalty is given, why is VAR not looking at the Richarlison incident at a corner in the first half as a penalty either? If it has been looked at by VAR then why isn't it a penalty? I see no difference between either in terms of giving a penalty. If one is a penalty then the other should be given too. Inconsistency is shite and ruins games. Our mental collapse was shocking but it's also infuriating when we were in complete control of the game before that VAR decision.

The fact that another referee can overrule the match referees decision aswell is bonkers to me. All VAR decisions should be reviewed by the ref at pitchside.
It hasn’t made the game fairer in any shape or form

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Haven't seen the Richarlison incident but in general pulling at corners corners tends to be tricky for VAR to police. They can't give an offence against the defending team if the attacking team has committed an offence prior to or at the same time as that incident. In open play that doesn't really matter but at corner kicks it means they can't give a foul for pulling an attacker if any of that attacker's teammates have pulled or illegally impeded a defending player, which probably happens at most corners. So I'm not at all surprised that that kind of incident would be punished less frequently.

For me the point of comparison isn't the Richarlision incident, it's every single penalty call prior to this. That was the first penalty awarded by VAR this season, which means that in order to buy the idea that VAR has worked consistently and effectively you'd have to believe that 90+ games passed without a penalty foul being missed. Which is ludicrous.

I thought the Keane incident was absolutely fine to give as a penalty, just not in the context of so many more blatant penalty shouts being ignored. All of which goes back to the way the PL have set up their VAR. The Keane incident should have been one of many penalty calls referred back to the referee to look at himself this season. If the ref had looked at that incident himself and overturned his own initial decision then it becomes rather hard to argue with.

Last edited:

paulscholes18

Don’t know what the commentator is smoking trying to clam it wasn’t a pen, James was ahead of the defender and was taken out

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Another penalty decision overturned by VAR. Sucks that it's against us but the correct decision imo. Hopefully they keep doing it from now on.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They suddenly seem to be more willing to change penalty calls this weekend. Makes me wonder if policy has changed.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
They suddenly seem to be more willing to change penalty calls this weekend. Makes me wonder if policy has changed.
Bullshit if so and making a mockery of games already played. Don’t agree with these changes mid season

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good call on the second penalty. Not that it matters when we're so shite at them.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Hrmm, I don't actually remember that, what changes? Dramas are fine.
My memory was there being a pen a game just from corners and players just throwing themselves to the ground in the box looking for var pens. England liked this.
Then they changed it not to give those pens

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bullshit if so and making a mockery of games already played. Don’t agree with these changes mid season
I had a suspicion it might happen as they did similar in international tournaments. I think it's shite too, which is why beginning with such an obviously poor version of VAR was such a problem. You're left having to either stick with it all season or change it unfairly as you go along.

Though I suppose the counter-argument is that similar changes already get made throughout the season in terms of how referees are directed to officiate the game.

Flying high

Don't think the James penalty was obvious enough to overturn it, it was barely a foul.

But Kruul looked way off his line for both pens. Particularly the first.