Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Jev

James penalty is another example of how wrong it's used. Regardless of whether you think it's a penalty or not, it's never a clear and obvious error. If you have to spend five minutes looking at the replay, it's not nearly clear enough. Let the call stand.

It's another game day where VAR is the primary talking point. It's dreadful.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Don't think the James penalty was obvious enough to overturn it, it was barely a foul.

But Kruul looked way off his line for both pens. Particularly the first.
Don't think either is a pen in the Utd game, especially the first one, crazy descison.

Zaha descison is a good descison by VAR. Atkinson :lol:.

Oh dear.

Flying high

Don't think either is a pen in the Utd game, especially the first one, crazy descison.

Oh dear.
The 2nd was technically 100% a penalty. Soft for sure, but the defender shouldn't raise his arms then turn his back.

SER19

Neither a penalty maybe (2nd was I think) , both should be retaken definitely.

I've said it before but only English officials could make such a farce of great technology.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Oh dear.
The second is without doubt a pen these days. You can't wave your hands in the air like that.

The first one, their defender brought the guy down and didn't touch the ball. I thought it looked a pen from the off, but didn't expect it to be given as he leaned in a bit.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
James penalty is another example of how wrong it's used. Regardless of whether you think it's a penalty or not, it's never a clear and obvious error. If you have to spend five minutes looking at the replay, it's not nearly clear enough. Let the call stand.

It's another game day where VAR is the primary talking point. It's dreadful.
A big problem is that the "clear and obvious error" thing is based on what the referee tells VAR he saw, which we never hear. So if the referee says "I saw no contact" it's more likely to be deemed an error than if he says "there was some contact but nowhere near enough for a penalty". So you could have the same incident being treated entirely differently.

Which is why the ref should either look at it himself or VAR should make the decision without taking any heed of the ref imo.

Oh dear.
The second one was a textbook correct call. It's a definite penalty.

Jev

A big problem is that the "clear and obvious error" thing is based on what the referee tells VAR he saw, which we never hear. So if the referee says "I saw no contact" it's more likely to be deemed an error than if he says "there was some contact but nowhere near enough for a penalty". So you could have the same incident being treated entirely differently.

Which is why the ref should either look at it himself or VAR should make the decision without taking any heed of the ref imo.
The latter should be the case in my opinion. One: It would save a lot of time. Two: VAR should in any case only be enforced when it's so clear that the on-field referee couldn't possibly have come to any other conclusion, making his opinion unnecessary.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It’s like all or nothing. It’s clearly not fair.
And you mention things change through the season anyway but nothing this drastic is it?
The most obvious one I remember was pulling at corners being strictly punished at the start of one season a few years ago before seemingly being completely forgotten about after a couple of months.

What's annoying about this is that it should have been easy to predict from the start. They have other leagues and competitions to look at for best practice, so they weren't coming up with this from scratch. It's not like they began by being slightly too strict either, no penalties given in 90 games is very wrong.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The most obvious one I remember was pulling at corners being strictly punished at the start of one season a few years ago before seemingly being completely forgotten about after a couple of months.

What's annoying about this is that it should have been easy to predict from the start. They have other leagues and competitions to look at for best practice, so they weren't coming up with this from scratch. It's not like they began by being slightly too strict either, no penalties given in 90 games is very wrong.
I know, it’s madness.

It’s also be nice if this kind of stuff was released in an article or something. After all, football is for the fans and we’re just totally in the blind to everything

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
If the VAR is going to call these small touches, why not the push on Chambers just a couple of seconds before? They can go suck one, and that idiot Atkinson doesn't even go to the monitor, he spent 90 minutes ignoring touches like those and in the most important decision of the match he calls it without even seeing it. fecking joke.

Judas

Open to offers
The decision for the James foul was utterly laughable, I don't blame the tech, you have to blame the idiots making the decisions.

The 2nd one was correct and a good use of VAR though.

lysglimt

Scout
The worst thing about the VAR is Tim Krul's positioning. Look at Krul especially at Rashfords penalty...he is probably 50-60 cms off the line when Rashford shoots.

What is the point of VAR if they don't spot stuff like that ?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The worst thing about the VAR is Tim Krul's positioning. Look at Krul especially at Rashfords penalty...he is probably 50-60 cms off the line when Rashford shoots.

What is the point of VAR if they don't spot stuff like that ?
They don’t look at that.

Just another thing that they choose to ignore in the interest of fairness

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Actually, they're supposed to look at that. They got told of by IFAB for not doing so earlier in the season. :lol:

https://www.euronews.com/2019/08/22/ifab-tell-premier-league-to-get-in-line-on-var-usage
Oh it gets better :lol:

I just can’t get my head around how unfair and choosy var appears to be yet the major pro argument I always see is to make the game fair and for the right result to prevail.

I’m struggling to adapt to liking it. Goal line tech is bang on, love it. This sometimes is sometimes not way of reffing using a replay ‘technology’ is really not doing it for me

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The decision for the James foul was utterly laughable, I don't blame the tech, you have to blame the idiots making the decisions.

The 2nd one was correct and a good use of VAR though.

Can see them here (UK anyway):

First one agree

Second one he's jumping and hand is only slightly up, he's pulling his hands towards his body as ball hits, hand is not very high. Maybe a pen but I think harsh.

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
Can't comment on the utd decisions as have not seen them yet but the chambers one in the Arsenal game is the most shocking decision I have seen so far, if anything It looked a foul on chambers

Be interesting if they show anything on match of the day that hasnt been seen yet

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Can't comment on the utd decisions as have not seen them yet but the chambers one in the Arsenal game is the most shocking decision I have seen so far, if anything It looked a foul on chambers

Be interesting if they show anything on match of the day that hasnt been seen yet
UK official YouTube highlights:

Its at the end, as ridiculous as 1st pen in Utd game...

Referees got to start using the monitors, can't let VAR make these crazy descisons...

montpelier

they have a licence to overturn suddenly - having done 9 games just watching and sitting on their hands

what a clownfest they are, seriously

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That Arsenal disallowed goal decision is incredible...hilarious... But incredible.

At this point you have to wonder if they're making VAR intentionally bad on purpose.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think the Arsenal decision might be the worst one I've seen, in that I can't even tell what Chambers is supposed to have done let alone whether he did it.

Judas

Open to offers
That Arsenal one is legitimately one of the weirdest referee decisions I’ve ever seen. Now if it was in the moment it’s bad, but when there had the benefit of being able to view it many times? It’s baffling.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
VAR was always going to be shit for a season or two. Was the same in cricket and rugby too. It will have massively improved the game in a couple of years though once the protocols have been worked out and humans have adjusted.
Second one he's jumping and hand is only slightly up, he's pulling his hands towards his body as ball hits, hand is not very high. Maybe a pen but I think harsh.
It’s an easy pen nowadays. His hand is in an unnatural position and making his body bigger. You can’t throw yourself in front of the ball with arms flailing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
VAR was always going to be shit for a season or two. Was the same in cricket and rugby too. It will have massively improved the game in a couple of years though once the protocols have been worked out and humans have adjusted.
It should never have been this shit though. The PL were one of the last to adopt VAR and were in a position to learn lessons from how it was implemented in other leagues. They didn't and for that reason it has been a shit-show on subjective decisions so far.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
They literally checked it before Utd took the follow up corner. Refs had a mare today.
It’s been pointed out to me since I made that post that it is supposed to be checked.
So why didn’t they do anything about it? I give up with var.

I’m glad I’m old enough to almost be bored by it all anyway. Would have hated this to have come out 20 years ago. They fecking with football because of dollar bills.

Also, it’s already been in use a season or two.

montpelier

I think that's a tricky one tbf. Theyve bottled it for fear of missing something imo.

Chambers most looks like he might do someting

Guessing really

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

I just can’t get my head around how unfair and choosy var appears to be yet the major pro argument I always see is to make the game fair and for the right result to prevail.

I’m struggling to adapt to liking it. Goal line tech is bang on, love it. This sometimes is sometimes not way of reffing using a replay ‘technology’ is really not doing it for me
Goal line tech is different because there is one clearcut outcome either way. With VAR it's still a human making the decision.

lysglimt

Scout
I think the Arsenal decision might be the worst one I've seen, in that I can't even tell what Chambers is supposed to have done let alone whether he did it.
If you watch it in replay - Chambers sticks his foot out. It's a clear penalty. When Zaha starts to move - Chambers have his feet together, and then he sticks his foot out.

lysglimt

Scout

It does take the joy out of everything - because you don't dare to celebrate. 2 minutes later the goal is disallowed.

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
If you watch it in replay - Chambers sticks his foot out. It's a clear penalty. When Zaha starts to move - Chambers have his feet together, and then he sticks his foot out.
Think he/she was on about the goal at the end of the match, var for some reason ruled it out even though if anyone was fouled it was chambers

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
UK official YouTube highlights:

Its at the end, as ridiculous as 1st pen in Utd game...

Referees got to start using the monitors, can't let VAR make these crazy descisons...
Cheers, i saw it as I as streaming the game but you know how clear streams can be, I honestly think its a lot worse than the James pen, If anything it was chambers that was fouled, awful decision

Saw var was used badly in your game as well

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Sorry I should have been clearer, I meant the Arsenal goal that was disallowed for a foul by Chambers. Though having seen a different angle I now know what it was for, though it was hardly clear cut.