Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I'm ok with VAR making a good judgement call based on all the facts available in the footage.

It's like hockey. The puck can not be ruled a goal during review unless it can be seen cross the entire line. UNLESS the only obvious answer is that the puck is in the goalies glove, inside the net.

And I'd be ok with it if it went against my own team as well, yes. Unhappy that they caught it, but ok.
VAR cannot overrule without definitive proof, so a judgement call isn't allowed

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
possibly, but I assume one of the incidents mentioned earlier was the penalty against Leicester at Anfield, that was given by the ref not VAR so they still would have got the penalty without it, the hand ball against City would have stood without VAR, assistant refs have been told not to flag when its close as they can check with VAR so we don't know how many of those would have been flagged by a guessing assistant previously, so it's not quite as clear cut as it looks
It is that clear cut. Handball stands one week for Liverpool, not the next for a different team. Goals gets ruled out for a foul for Liverpool one week. Doesn’t for a different team the next week. It is their clear cut.

also, while I’m at it, phase of plays in relation to offside is not new and has been around years so you’re wrong there.

having to change the offside rule to suit var, you’re wrong there.

thinking you’re right on every opinion, wrong there.

Josep Dowling

I just quoted it for you.

"Otherwise why would VAR rule a player offside for having their hand beyond the last defender?"

That is your post. So not only do you not know the basics of offside you can't even read your own posts.
Again quoting a post from month ago. Bore off.

Member 119614

VAR sucks, I don't even want to debate it. It's the worst thing ever that could happen to football

sparx99

It doesnt matter what it is, was or will be, people always complain.
If youre offside then youre offside, simple and unpeachable.
Tv companies and pundits have used slow mo, fecking 3d technology to show if anybody was an inch offside and shaming officials over it for years, all the refs are doing is using the same principle so Souness can stick his entertainment business crap (rant over)

I remember Keys and Gray crying about phases of play 15 years ago
Yeah that’s all fine but that’s not what people want the rule to be. As I and others have said the offside rule exists to stop goal hanging. Clearly Wolves didn’t gain an advantage from their player being 1-2mm offside and shouldn’t that be the point?

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
People either should be against the offside rule, or usage of VAR. To say its the humans fault, while they are following a legal protocol, is ridiculous.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Having an argument with a Liverpool supporting mate about all the VAR decisions that have gone their way this season. He has asked me to name three aside from today. I know they have had plenty of decisions go their way but can’t think of any off the top of my head. Anyone able help me out?!
They haven't really, at least in terms of VAR reversing decisions in a way that favours them. If they've been lucky it has been in VAR not overturning decisions the on-pitch had already made in their favour anyway, which would also have stood without VAR.

You can see the table for overturns here:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...sions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I can understand it's implementation, in the fact that it's trying to make the game fairer, but feck me is it inconsistent! Seems to me like it's open to abuse and bias from those making the decisions. Some of the calls have been utterly ridiculous!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
VAR cannot overrule without definitive proof, so a judgement call isn't allowed
If the rules was put in there by men it can be changed by them. These milimetercalls and controversial calls only say that the system need discussion.

Swarlos

Supports
Lyn FK, Liverpool
The ball hit VVD's hand in the build up, ergo no goal. But wouldn't expect a deluded dipper to understand that.

Hahah, I love that the proof is a video filmed on a potato, depicting the incident from behind VVDs back.

sparx99

VAR sucks, I don't even want to debate it. It's the worst thing ever that could happen to football
I just can’t accept that. I shouldn’t have watched Utd go out of competitions because of a terrible refereeing decision.
That ruins football for me.

This is year 1 of VAR and it always takes time to introduce technology to sport. Adapting rules to account for the ‘accuracy’ of VAR is the logical way to resolve this over-officiating of VAR. VAR and Referees also need to adjust their attitude and realise VAR is there to help refs not to criticise them and getting decisions right is the important thing.

Cricket had real teething problems with DRS but the game has definitely improved for having it

RoyH1

Liverpool getting the same VAR treatment as Barcelona in Spain. Dreadful to see.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I just can’t accept that. I shouldn’t have watched Utd go out of competitions because of a terrible refereeing decision.
That ruins football for me.

This is year 1 of VAR and it always takes time to introduce technology to sport. Adapting rules to account for the ‘accuracy’ of VAR is the logical way to resolve this over-officiating of VAR. VAR and Referees also need to adjust their attitude and realise VAR is there to help refs not to criticise them and getting decisions right is the important thing.

Cricket had real teething problems with DRS but the game has definitely improved for having it
IFAB said it could take 10 years before VAR is fully working and understood, so I suppose you can't accuse them of being unaware that it would have a difficult introduction.

A lot of bridges have been quickly burned with needless mistakes though.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
If the rules was put in there by men it can be changed by them. These milimetercalls and controversial calls only say that the system need discussion.
true but those rules are changed by IFAB alone and they won't do anything until the summer at the earliest, VAR will be tweaked and altered over the coming years but they won't do anything in the European season.

Eventually VAR will work much better, we are living through the teething problems

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
true but those rules are changed by IFAB alone and they won't do anything until the summer at the earliest, VAR will be tweaked and altered over the coming years but they won't do anything in the European season.

Eventually VAR will work much better, we are living through the teething problems
Who told you this?

sparx99

H

Handball needs to be deliberate.
not anymore. It was changed in the summer so if it hits your hand in any position in the build up to a goal it should be disallowed.
When defending its handball if your arms is in an unnatural position. They have a body silhouette that they work to when deciding handballs against defenders.

Hammondo

not anymore. It was changed in the summer so if it hits your hand in any position in the build up to a goal it should be disallowed.
When defending its handball if your arms is in an unnatural position. They have a body silhouette that they work to when deciding handballs against defenders.
Sounds stupid.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
not in the build up to the goal, also Sky have said they checked the VVD handball and the evidence was "inconclusive"
More similar to the Silva(?) handball in the build up to a City goal a few weeks ago then? As in if they can't definitively see definite contact with the hand then they don't call the handball.

Hammondo

Thats not accurate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48965849

Only if that person scores the goal or creates the goal.

TheLiverBird

Liverpool getting the same VAR treatment as Barcelona in Spain. Dreadful to see.
What are you talking about??

there was nothing wrong with the VAR decisions today

they were all correct

the issue is the ruling of it, the rules are a joke

no one can deny the decisions today going off the ruling that VAR operates under

I’m buzzing with the 3 points, but I can’t deny VAR isn’t working to how we all hoped

Josep Dowling

not in the build up to the goal, also Sky have said they checked the VVD handball and the evidence was "inconclusive"
Sky have an agenda with Liverpool this season. 30 years since they last won the league, it’s a perfect story for them. I won’t be watching the weekend they can guarantee the title whilst Martin Tyler comes out with some crap about them being the best Champions in living history. They did the exact same thing with City two years ago.

Even when Liverpool lost 5-0 to Villa in the League cup the kids were ‘unlucky’.

They field an ineligible player, swepped under the carpet like nothing happened.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Sky have an agenda with Liverpool this season. 30 years since they last won the league, it’s a perfect story for them. I won’t be watching the weekend they can guarantee the title whilst Martin Tyler comes out with some crap about them being the best Champions in living history. They did the exact same thing with City two years ago.

Even when Liverpool lost 5-0 to Villa in the League cup the kids were ‘unlucky’.

They field an ineligible player, swepped under the carpet like nothing happened.
they almost certainly do which is why I rarely watch their pre and post game guff, beyond direct analysis of the game just played but in this instance they are just telling you what PGMOL say, the VVD handball was checked but it was inconclusive

M16Red

Man city goal?

In football, what happens if the ball hits the referee and ends up in the goal? ... If the ball touches the referee (or another match official) and goes into the goal, team possession changes or a promising attack starts, a dropped ball is awarded.

TrustInOle

Getting ridiculous now and just seems to be a bunch of attention seekers who cherry pick which incidents they want to change. How on earth does a new rule get implemented at the start of the season, involving Ref's contamination and drop balls, only for VAR to completely discard said rule? Literally starting to kill the game to the point that some incidents just seem like blatant cheating now.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Man city goal?

In football, what happens if the ball hits the referee and ends up in the goal? ... If the ball touches the referee (or another match official) and goes into the goal, team possession changes or a promising attack starts, a dropped ball is awarded.
I thought they changed it this summer so if it hits the ref its an automatic drop ball?