Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

DVG7

So the ref jumped over it but fleck was so close that it just bounces off of him.

seems like the logical solution would be to give the referees jet packs.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Players should be allowed verbally abuse refs like the old days. Referee's arrogance has gone unchecked.

Screaming "YOU CHEATING CNUT!" in their face will bring them back down to earth.

ariveded

In a 50-50 call, Maybe its better to stick with ref’s call. Just like how they do in cricket with umpires call on those tight calls. Otherwise, VAR takes far too long, and really destroys the momentum in those period...

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
the description I read elsewhere, drop ball given should have been the outcome, ref must know if the ball hits him so no idea why he wouldn't have given it, or one of the assistants, 4th official, VAR or AVAR didn't remind him if he forgot

M16Red

the description I read elsewhere, drop ball given should have been the outcome, ref must know if the ball hits him so no idea why he wouldn't have given it, or one of the assistants, 4th official, VAR or AVAR didn't remind him if he forgot
Even if it didn't hit the ref, he was interfering with play.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I love how VAR just immediately watched the face of the ref who made a mistake and showed something irrelevant on the VAR replay as to say "nothing happened here". VAR used to protect the hopeless refs it has. It is hysterical. The whole system and league has been put under a microscope by VAR and everybody gets to see their incompetence, they don't like it and will work their best to scrap VAR in the summer.

dove

VAR just proves how biased and borderline corrupt refereeing in PL is. I am not surprised, been saying it for years, to me it’s a matter of time till it gets leaked in the media.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I love how VAR just immediately watched the face of the ref who made a mistake and showed something irrelevant on the VAR replay as to say "nothing happened here". VAR used to protect the hopeless refs it has. It is hysterical. The whole system and league has been put under a microscope by VAR and everybody gets to see their incompetence, they don't like it and will work their best to scrap VAR in the summer.
I'd like to think I'm decent at not falling for conspiracy theories but I've thought for a while this implementation of VAR was shambolic on purpose. It introduces a false dichotomy. Either no VAR or this shite implementation. It's a brilliant strategy from the perspective of the refs, as it shields from being undermined while preserving their importance in the game. Brilliant but sinister, because the game suffers as a whole.

I am firmly pro-VAR but even I will admit no VAR is better than this bastardized implementation.

fergiesarmy1

Guess it's this?:

It's a drop ball as soon as ball touches the ref, goal should be ruled out.
Can’t see the video but the ball regularly hits a ref throughout a game, especially our fat bastard refs and play usually goes on?

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
what needs to stop is people claiming anyone is being given offside due to the position of their hand ...
I was literally watching them give one today against Wolves where it was just his hand when I wrote that.

Anyway, even if someone literally is cm's offside and its not given and then the goal goes in about 20 seconds later it still shouldn't count in my opinion.
Reason being that, so much action happens after that it makes the marginal offside irrelevant, nobody would have even cared about it.
They are ruling out goals now where a ball is played out to a winger and by the time he recieves it he's not even ahead of the defender anyway, that winger could then pass the ball backwards to a team mate who then beats four defenders and scores, and they're ruling it out for offside.
These goals weren't being ruled out before because, as I said, the offside had literally no influence on the actual goal but now they are because our referees are completely clueless.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I love Var. Just love it. Sure it needs fixing in some areas( especially in PL when ref can't see replay) but it is mostly because general football rules are not clear about certain situation but offside rule is great and i just can't believe how someone can moan when goal is disallowed because 1cm offside.
Because it is bloody offside!! It is not regular goal and it should not stand. 1mm or 1cm or 1m, it doesn't matter; it is not a regular goal. For all of you who moan; do you moan when goal-line technology prevents goal because one small part of the ball is touching goal-line? I guess not.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
A hand can't be offside. Try getting a clue next time you rant about "clueless idiots."
Watch the Wolves 'goal' from today and then comment please.
I obviously get the rule.
From the angle they were showing it was literally just his hand offside.

In any case, even if he was milimetres off, it had literally no impact on the goal, that's my overall point.

We are seeing so many goals ruled out now because the referees don't actually understand the concept of the offside rule, it's about whether or not the attacking team is gaining an advantage because of it or not.
If you can't understand that then you shouldn't have any involvement in officiating any football matches, never mind at the top level.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
@Kerry Donaghy

As has been said, a hand can't be offside. If what you're seeing suggests that they ruled it offside because of a player's hand then you are either looking at the incorrect image or are misreading the image you're being shown.

As for the rest of your post, you seem to be criticising the refs for applying the rules correctly. Offside is offside, whether by 1mm or 1 yard. That's the rule. If there's a problem with that then it lies with the rule, not the referees abiding by it.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
I love Var. Just love it. Sure it needs fixing in some areas( especially in PL when ref can't see replay) but it is mostly because general football rules are not clear about certain situation but offside rule is great and i just can't believe how someone can moan when goal is disallowed because 1cm offside.
Because it is bloody offside!! It is not regular goal and it should not stand. 1mm or 1cm or 1m, it doesn't matter; it is not a regular goal. For all of you who moan; do you moan when goal-line technology prevents goal because one small part of the ball is touching goal-line? I guess not.
Totally different point.

One is about the ball actually crossing the line for a goal, which is the whole point of football.

The other is about clueless idiots failing to understand the concept of a team gaining or not gaining an advantage or what's relevant or irrelevant.
Often resulting in them cancelling out perfectly good goals and more importantly, failing to understand the whole point of football.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Totally different point.

One is about the ball actually crossing the line for a goal, which is the whole point of football.

The other is about clueless idiots failing to understand the concept of a team gaining or not gaining an advantage or what's relevant or irrelevant.
Often resulting in them cancelling out perfectly good goals and more importantly, failing to understand the whole point of football.
How? Is goal scored by the rules? No, because player was in offside. You can't just say; "Oh, it is only 5 cm so it is ok but If it was 10 then it is offside." Offside is offside. Rules are clear.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I’m sure someone somewhere is working on a “failsafe” technology for offsides. Possibly based on a GPS system. The current system cannot be 100% accurate because when the still image is moved by one frame forward or backward it makes a huge difference to the outcome. That’s before you even get into the fact that the position of someone’s shin/armpit/boot etc relative to the lines being drawn is judged by the naked eye.

cyberman

We are on the same page. If we went back a few seasons and said to everybody that no defender can get away with fouling in the box without the ref seeing it, all your great runs that are unfairly flagged will be allowed to continue, no defender can ever encroach on your pens, the only drawback you have is that all yoir offsides are correctly(lets not forget that) are given as offside.. Would the strikers say they are being punished?
Id also add that it used to be impossible to get a decision away to big sides, after VAR we now have this.. Via f365

In 2017/18, the Big Six played 84 home matches against non-Big Six teams. They lost only three of those 84 matches, and dropped 39 points.

So far in 2019/20, the Big Six have played 43 home matches against non-Big Six teams. They have lost seven of those 43 matches, and dropped 39 points.

At precisely the time that the richest clubs in the league should be moving away from the rest of the league, the opposite has happened. The only obvious explanation is an inherent arrogance on the part of larger clubs that has eroded the fear factor they used to hold.

dove

How? Is goal scored by the rules? No, because player was in offside. You can't just say; "Oh, it is only 5 cm so it is ok but If it was 10 then it is offside." Offside is offside. Rules are clear.
We don’t have the technology to tell if someone was 1mm or even 1cm offside. Refs literally place lines at the points that they feel are right, which is subjective when the hands are involved (where exactly shoulder ends and the hand starts?). I don’t think we can even tell the exact frame the ball was kicked/touched. When it all happens so fast, 3-4 different frames can show completely different offside results. We should stop pretending we have the technology to make these calls and use more common sense.

RUCK4444

I hope it helps you sleep at night that a centimetre, even if unintentional, can disallow some great goals.

Personally I’d prefer, you know, entertaining games with lots of goals. Rather than a group of grown men getting the tape measure out to measure of a little toe was offside.

I mean read that last sentence back, it’s feckin pathetic. Just get on with the game that’s been played for hundreds of years without issue.
I can’t understand how some don’t see that it’s sucking the life and entertainment from the game.

90 + 5min

There are lots of problems with VAR. Lots. And it should not be used before we can be sure that it is used correctly. Right now it is ruining football.

90 + 5min

We don’t have the technology to tell if someone was 1mm or even 1cm offside. Refs literally place lines at the points that they feel are right, which is subjective when the hands are involved (where exactly shoulder ends and the hand starts?). I don’t think we can even tell the exact frame the ball was kicked/touched. When it all happens so fast, 3-4 different frames can show completely different offside results. We should stop pretending we have the technology to make these calls and use more common sense.
Exactly my point.

Giggsyking

It is a fair system being abused, its not VAR's problem, it is still the referees problem and their incompetence, so taking it away is not going to remove the problem, it will only worsen it. How many goals were actually right and were disallowed and vise versa?

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
@Kerry Donaghy

As has been said, a hand can't be offside. If what you're seeing suggests that they ruled it offside because of a player's hand then you are either looking at the incorrect image or are misreading the image you're being shown.

As for the rest of your post, you seem to be criticising the refs for applying the rules correctly. Offside is offside, whether by 1mm or 1 yard. That's the rule. If there's a problem with that then it lies with the rule, not the referees abiding by it.
https://images.app.goo.gl/PYgvoQb7EWsTWUcL6

Not sure if that upload will work or not but just look at it again, the image im being shown is just his hand off.

Anyway, my overall point still stands.
How can you possibly be being paid to officiate on on professional football if you don't understand the basic concept of the game?

If you want to talk about rules fair enough.
The official rule suggests that VAR is to only overturn decisions if the onfield officials have made a clear and obvious error.

Im sorry, but failing to spot someone being a millimetre offside either just before a goal goes in or, more importantly, 30 seconds before, is hardly a clear and obvious error.
So, even by their own rules, they're constantly getting this wrong.

If you're having to pull up screens and lines and watch it over and over ten times then it's pretty obvious that's its not a clear and obvious thing to have missed first time around.
These officials are meant to be working together as a team to get the decisions right and they're failing badly when it comes to offside.
The blame, in my opinion, lies more with these people failing to understand the game rather than the actual rules and certaintly not because of the actual technology.

Redo91

Liverpool beat Palace 2-1 away. The winner comes shortly after Palace's winner disallowed by VAR for a 'push' on Lovren:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50443051

Liverpool's opening goal given vs City despite VAR looking at it and not penalising TAA for handball:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50278816

Liverpool awarded a penalty against Leicester by VAR in the 90+5th minute after Mane 'fouled':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49861470

Azpilicueta's equaliser ruled out by VAR:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49705147

These were all close games that turned the tide in Liverpool's favour.
Thank you. This should do the trick!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What's that common sense solution then? Because before VAR referees were making those exact same cm calls, just with much less accuracy. So fundamentally the offside rule would have to change if even VAR isn't accurate enough for people.

dove

What's that common sense solution then? Because before VAR referees were making those exact same cm calls, just with much less accuracy. So fundamentally the offside rule would have to change if even VAR isn't accurate enough for people.
If you can’t make a decision in 10s or so, just leave whatever decision the linesman made instead of using CSI lab to count pixels on the screen to guess if it was off or not.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
https://images.app.goo.gl/PYgvoQb7EWsTWUcL6

Not sure if that upload will work or not but just look at it again, the image im being shown is just his hand off.

Anyway, my overall point still stands.
How can you possibly be being paid to officiate on on professional football if you don't understand the basic concept of the game?

If you want to talk about rules fair enough.
The official rule suggests that VAR is to only overturn decisions if the onfield officials have made a clear and obvious error.

Im sorry, but failing to spot someone being a millimetre offside either just before a goal goes in or, more importantly, 30 seconds before, is hardly a clear and obvious error.
So, even by their own rules, they're constantly getting this wrong.

If you're having to pull up screens and lines and watch it over and over ten times then it's pretty obvious that's its not a clear and obvious thing to have missed first time around.
These officials are meant to be working together as a team to get the decisions right and they're failing badly when it comes to offside.
The blame, in my opinion, lies more with these people failing to understand the game rather than the actual rules and certaintly not because of the actual technology.
1) If the lines aren't blue and red, it isn't the final image.

2) The line I think you think goes to the attacker's hand is (as far as I can see from that image) drawing the defender's knee to the same plain as the attacker's foot, which is what is being deemed offside.

3. The "clear and obvious error" idea never applied to offsides.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I hope it helps you sleep at night that a centimetre, even if unintentional, can disallow some great goals.

Personally I’d prefer, you know, entertaining games with lots of goals. Rather than a group of grown men getting the tape measure our to measure of a little toe was offside.

I mean read that last sentence back, it’s feckin pathetic. Just get on with the game that’s been played for hundreds of years without issue.
I can’t understand how some don’t see that it’s sucking the life and entertainment from the game.
It is typical romantic opinion when you remove real life facts. Cool, i want that all games finish with 10 goals, without tackles and that all fans love each other. Oh, wait..but it is not possible. Football as every game has rules. Some of rules you don't need to like but they are there. You can't just allow some irregular goal because it is "beautiful and it is point of this game". Where it ends? Lets not allow defenders to foul attacker who kicked ball through their legs? Lets give a penalty for every 10 corners because that team "deserve it"? And so on...

And now i am the grinch and you are good elf in eyes of other people. :). I am grumpy old man who tells the truth

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you can’t make a decision in 10s or so, just leave whatever decision the linesman made instead of using CSI lab to count pixels on the screen to guess if it was off or not.
So you're using a lack of accuracy on VAR's part to argue for a system that would be many, many times less accurate? Alright then, seems strange to me but we'll go with it.

Here's an example of what will happen with that approach:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.goa...league-grand-final/1kmv02npsdndf11wn5sp1fuwei

Goal is scored, it gets wrongly disallowed for offside, the decision was allowed to stand anyway because the mistake isn't clear enough for VAR, the broadcaster then highlights that it actually was onside, fans are outraged, criticise VAR and the refs. Now not only are you getting the wrong decision, you're also making the decision more subjective and open to accusations of incompetence and bias. One set of problems swapped for another, with "well at least the wrong decision was made within 10 seconds" not likely to sooth the issue

Last edited: