Giant Explosion In Lebanon

predator

Youth NITK
Apparently it was heard in cyprus at approx 200km.
Tel aviv and Jerusalem is approx equidistant. Did they hear it too?

Did the Mediterranean allow the shock wave / soundwave to travel further than it would across rugged, mountainous terrain?

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters

At least 100, I know we're far from knowing the extent of it yet but I thought it would have been tens of thousands.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
An injured civilian found today under the rubble, still alive. Almost 18 hours after the explosion.

Other people still reported missing.

MadMike

@MadMike What do you make of all this?
Nothing too meaningful I can add to be honest.

An "arrested" ship isn't an uncommon thing. It usually means bills or fines were not paid (finance, bunkers etc.), the people owed money went to court and got an arrest warrant for the ship, which was then forbidden from sailing unless debts were paid. The ship's 34-35 years old according to my db, so it's past the end of its life. Usually those get sold for scrap, but often a shady owner might take it on and operate it (usually in nefarious practices) till an event like an arrest. Then the owning company either quickly dissolves in a bankruptcy file or fully disappears into the shadows, leaving the port operators with a ghost ship on their hands.

This kind of stuff is quite common for ships operating illegal routes or moving contraband material. Not everyone can afford the risk of having a spanking new £100m ship getting arrested for trafficking drugs/weapons/humans and having to come forward to claim it. So usually it's done through these old beat-up vessels who's ownership lies in layers of obscure companies so when you try to untangle the yarn you get nowhere.

The ship was operated by a tiny company out of Burgas, Bulgaria who obviously couldn't be contacted the second the ship got arrested. If that gives you any clue. Could be the fertiliser was contraband or was intended for hezbollah bomb-making? Your guess is as good as mine.

Cloud7

I live in Beirut. Words really can’t describe the disdain I have for our corrupt politicians. I can without a shadow of a doubt say we have some of the most despicable excuses for human beings ruling us, and the shit that happened today is just a summary of what 30 years of corruption and war lords in power leads to. These feckers have known about this issue since 2014. How in the ever living feck did NO ONE do anything about it. You’d expect in any decent country that heads would roll for this, but these feckers will just shift the blame on each other, and should the people revolt, they’ll be crushed or labeled as traitors with foreign agendas.

FFS man, every day is just filled with anxiety and panic in this damn country. Every day you’d think that shit surely can’t get any worse but here we are.
Stay strong mate. I hope somehow your people can get justice for this, but more importantly that the people hurt by this get whatever help they can.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I can't get over how massive that explosion was. Just holy fecking shit. Not even in some far away facility. Right there in the main port close to residential areas.

Superunknown

I half caught this on the news yesterday but didn't really take in the severity of it all until I checked the news again this morning and saw all the videos in this thread. This is nothing short of a disaster and a crisis. The videos here are horrifying and I know that this word doesn't really come close to summing it up.

The one that did it for me was that before and after picture with that one building still standing. That's going to take years to rebuild to even get back to where they were before yesterday. Even just mentally, that's a huge thing to come to terms with.

I hope that anyone here who is living in that region or has family there are all safe and well.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I can't get over how massive that explosion was. Just holy fecking shit. Not even in some far away facility. Right there in the main port close to residential areas.
yet it pales in comparison to the nuclear bombs used in Japan. It's fair to say that Nukes should never ever be considered again.

Imagine what a modern day nuclear bomb would do to a modern city? nothing would stand or survive.

It's just quite unbelievable to see something so powerful like that on camera isn't it.

arnie_ni

whats this about a video showing a missle hitting?

Assuming its tin foil hat nonsense

Last edited:

Hammerfell

yet it pales in comparison to the nuclear bombs used in Japan. It's fair to say that Nukes should never ever be considered again.

Imagine what a modern day nuclear bomb would do to a modern city? nothing would stand or survive.

It's just quite unbelievable to see something so powerful like that on camera isn't it.
It's mad isn't it? The Tianjin clip is especially visceral.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Apparently it was heard in cyprus at approx 200km.
Tel aviv and Jerusalem is approx equidistant. Did they hear it too?

Did the Mediterranean allow the shock wave / soundwave to travel further than it would across rugged, mountainous terrain?
Sound travels very well over water, so 200km over sea to Cyprus isn't the same as 200 km over land to Tel Aviv.

DavidDeSchmikes

The videos of the explosion are horrifying, it's like a nuclear blast.
Lebanon is suffering economic problems and a migrant crisis. Plus their hospitals are struggling with coronvirus.
:(

Withnail

The videos of the explosion are horrifying, it's like a nuclear blast.
Lebanon is suffering economic problems and a migrant crisis. Plus their hospitals are struggling with coronvirus.
:(
It's worse than that sadly, some of the Beirut hospitals were damaged in the blast so they couldn't treat victims.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Great explosion! There can't have been many bigger in recent times. Being where it was should keep the death toll low enough, considering it's in a big city.
Plonkers leaving that lying around, but that's humans for you, we are how we are.
Entertainment for you? :rolleyes:

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I know we are living in a chaotic country with corruption and incompetence at every level. Its why we have been protesting for these animals in charge to feck off so some of this beautiful country can be salvaged.

But to sit on 2700 tons of Nitrate, in the heart of Beirut and its dense population, for years and years without action has left me speechless. I cannot understand how everyone involved in the port administration and the people in charge hasn't resigned already.

I walked through some parts of Beirut today, its unrecognizable. Just carnage everywhere. The city has been through wars but no one has done more damage to this city and country than the incompetent savages in charge.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I know we are living in a chaotic country with corruption and incompetence at every level. Its why we have been protesting for these animals in charge to feck off so some of this beautiful country can be salvaged.

But to sit on 2700 tons of Nitrate, in the heart of Beirut and its dense population, for years and years without action has left me speechless. I cannot understand how everyone involved in the port administration and the people in charge hasn't resigned already.

I walked through some parts of Beirut today, its unrecognizable. Just carnage everywhere. The city has been through wars but no one has done more damage to this city and country than the incompetent savages in charge.
Hope you and your family are safe.

What was the impact radius of the blast? Becuase from the videos, it seemed like buildings as far as 5-10 kilometres were damaged severely as well.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Hope you and your family are safe.

What was the impact radius of the blast? Becuase from the videos, it seemed like buildings as far as 5-10 kilometres were damaged severely as well.
Thankfully we are fine, mostly by luck as i was in Beirut at the time.

There damages are definitely up to 10 km away. The older streets of Beirut and Achrafieh, old charming streets that are usually vibrant are just shattered.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

Im so sad to hear this.

I pray that you can rise again stronger

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Been seeing messages on different social media platforms that it would be better to send government help and/or money to NGOs like the Red Cross rather than the Lebanese government since you wouldn't know where it would end up in that case. Not sure how much of that is true, but given the country's troubles with corruption in the past, it might be tricky to get the aid to the relevant instances, unfortunately.
That would be pretty much spot-on! I wouldn't trust the political or religious establishments to right with any sort of aid.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

It just seems so crazy that they would think this would be fine, and then having a firework factory close by where it was stored?

Sometimes I think our country (England) can be too health and safety, but something like that would just never be able to happen. It's so sad that this could have been easily avoided yet they've allowed it to happen and destroy your city.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
[/QUOTE]
Sometimes I think our country (England) can be too health and safety, but something like that would just never be able to happen. It's so sad that this could have been easily avoided yet they've allowed it to happen and destroy your city.
Just as easily avoided as this:

Fingeredmouse

It just seems so crazy that they would think this would be fine, and then having a firework factory close by where it was stored?

Grenfell?
Edit: I see I was beaten to it.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

At least 100, I know we're far from knowing the extent of it yet but I thought it would have been tens of thousands.
Damn, all that grain. They, along with Syria, were already hurting from their currency problems and now more people will go hungry.

Abizzz

Anyone else not quite buying the "it was confiscated and left there line" ? I mean if you have 2700t of bomb building material in a poorer country troubled by violence, surely someone is going to find a use for it?

Kopral Jono

One of my closest friends from my London days, now living back in his native Beirut, has his home and medical equipment store completely destroyed by this. Utterly devastating.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Anyone else not quite buying the "it was confiscated and left there line" ? I mean if you have 2700t of bomb building material in a poorer country troubled by violence, surely someone is going to find a use for it?
Anyone have any idea how much $$$ -all that ammonium fertiliser was worth?

Why would the owner leave all that abandoned?

Mick1

whats this about a video showing a missle hitting?

Assuming its tin foil hat nonsense
Nothing is tinfoil hat in Lebanon. I would guess that's one of the more likely causes. The initial fire was a target for the strike supposedly