Giggs as the Manager

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Pardons if already posted, interesting quotes from SAF.

"I think that he [Giggs] is the one man they should go to, really," Ferguson said at a fundraising dinner in Manchester this week. "He's got 20-odd years of experience at Manchester United. He's gone through the gamut of emotions at the club – he's experienced all the highs and lows. He knows exactly what's needed to be a Manchester United player and I was so pleased he brought Paul Scholes back in, and Nicky Butt of course – two great professionals.

"Paul Scholes is one of these guys who has few words but the few words are so succinct, accurate and to the point. He is brilliant at it. Many times I would bring in the older guard to discuss certain things that we maybe wanted their opinion on. Scholesy had three or four words – bang, bang, bang. He was such a revelation for me for a young man to be so positive, a decision maker.

"I think Ryan will get the benefit of that now. That was the first thing Ryan did; he phoned up Scholesy – he was on holiday and called him back."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/26/alex-ferguson-ryan-giggs-manchester-united-manager

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
If anyone actually wants Giggs as a manager in the long term, it would be properly mental for them also to want him have the job now. It's essential that we get back in the top four next season, and if Giggs is manager and we look like we might struggle to get there, the Glazers would panic and he'd be fired before christmas. Why run before he can walk? He's had a season as a player-coach, for the majority of which he which more or less ostracised from the main group (this may actually be beneficial for him). He needs to spend a few years thinking as a coach rather than a player. Shoving him in at the deep end would be genuine madness.

The fact Fergie's coming out and saying this openly makes me think that, thankfully, he's not really being listened to in the boardroom about it.

paulthesinger

It's all very interesting. I haven't got a clue whether he'd be a good manager but we have 4 games to see what happens. He just might be ideal.

paulthesinger

I don't feel depressed about the idea like I did when I heard David Moyes had been given a 6 year contract that's for sure!

nimic

something nice
Scout
Lovely.

Did I say personality alone is all that is needed?

Giggs has had 20+ years under Fergie, the greatest ever manger, has holloway had that?

Giggs has been involved in over 1000 top class games, has Holloway had that?

Giggs has been involved in 3 Champions League Finals, Holloway?

There's a huge number of things Giggs has in his favour, if he's got the intelligence to transfer it to management there is no better candidate.
Great players don't necessarily make great managers, no matter who they have "studied" under. Roy Keane had many years under the greatest ever manager. He was the captain, he was involved in plenty of very big games, and look how he turned out as a manager. Or how about Steve Bruce. I'm not saying he's a failure, but you wouldn't want him as our manager.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Great players don't necessarily make great managers, no matter who they have "studied" under. Roy Keane had many years under the greatest ever manager. He was the captain, he was involved in plenty of very big games, and look how he turned out as a manager. Or how about Steve Bruce. I'm not saying he's a failure, but you wouldn't want him as our manager.
Roy Keane was a twat as a player, hated by everyone except us, he was never going to make a good manager.
I don't really see that Giggs is under qualified, I don't really see what that means or if it makes a difference. There's a lot of shit a manager has to do that isn't directly to do with the team, that kind of thing can be learnt. If Giggs can get the team playing the kind of football we want, win games and get the buzz back to the club, should we stop his growth?

Dracula

caf plane air-master
I'm getting concerned about this whole debacle.
We have the 1992 committee for the last couple of months getting in position to get rid of moyes and step in. We saw this with the random scholes being pundit for sky for the city match for example.
So now he's gone, we have giggs as temporary manager, scholes as assistant (is it as assistant?) Butt and neville as coaches. There's a lot of power there. There are reports woodward is clamouring to get manager in asap to avoid a situation where after 4 easy games where we should be expected to win comfortably (except soton) , voices to keep giggs as manager will grow. Add to that the likely scenario that giggs will announce his retirement at the end of the season, cue an emotional last week as manager which will only intensify calls for him to be kept on, even if not as manager thus putting the new manager in a difficult position.
Even if we do get a manager in asap to avoid this, we will have the situation where any poor result or small run of poor form that will inevitably happen the press will be banging on about giggs waiting in the wings to take over. It will all be about this manager being a stop gap until giggs takes over. This is not a good position for a manager to be in.

There's going to be a massive power struggle at united over the next few years. Its too early for giggs now, if he was goimgbto take over it should have been last year, its too late for that risk now, we need to steady the ship, and for the club itself, it cant afford to take the risk on giggs after moyes. If we get an experienced top coach, if he fails its his fault, the club are protected from criticism like they had (rightly) with moyes. If they give it to giggs and (god forbid) he fails then they will be criticised for giving it to him too early.

Backing ourselves into a lose lose situation here.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I'm getting concerned about this whole debacle.
We have the 1992 committee for the last couple of months getting in position to get rid of moyes and step in. We saw this with the random scholes being pundit for sky for the city match for example.
So now he's gone, we have giggs as temporary manager, scholes as assistant (is it as assistant?) Butt and neville as coaches. There's a lot of power there. There are reports woodward is clamouring to get manager in asap to avoid a situation where after 4 easy games where we should be expected to win comfortably (except soton) , voices to keep giggs as manager will grow. Add to that the likely scenario that giggs will announce his retirement at the end of the season, cue an emotional last week as manager which will only intensify calls for him to be kept on, even if not as manager thus putting the new manager in a difficult position.
Even if we do get a manager in asap to avoid this, we will have the situation where any poor result or small run of poor form that will inevitably happen the press will be banging on about giggs waiting in the wings to take over. It will all be about this manager being a stop gap until giggs takes over. This is not a good position for a manager to be in.

There's going to be a massive power struggle at united over the next few years. Its too early for giggs now, if he was goimgbto take over it should have been last year, its too late for that risk now, we need to steady the ship, and for the club itself, it cant afford to take the risk on giggs after moyes. If we get an experienced top coach, if he fails its his fault, the club are protected from criticism like they had (rightly) with moyes. If they give it to giggs and (god forbid) he fails then they will be criticised for giving it to him too early.

Backing ourselves into a lose lose situation here.
Butt is assistant, Scholes and Neville coaches.

As for the rest of your post, we're in for interesting times, at the very least.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Butt is assistant, Scholes and Neville coaches.

As for the rest of your post, we're in for interesting times, at the very least.
Cheers.

Was a bit weird, half way through the post I realised I had no idea who the assistant manager was!

Bojan11

I hope class of 92 don't get bitter towards the new manager.

I just have a feeling their ambitions to become manager might create some bitterness.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
'If they are good enough they are old enough' -- Sir Matt Busby.

Good luck Giggsy.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Posted on twitter, someone took a photo of his first programme notes.

An Irish Red

Rememebr how we were all saying Moyes should have been Fergies assistant for a year?......yeah Giggs has been taught and nurtured by Fergie for 20 years.

Well obviously have to see how he does but I'm pretty confident in him and the rest of the 92.
Bruce, McLeish, Keane, Ince, Berg, Solskjaer and Robson all spent plenty of time under him as well. It means very little as an indicator of future managerial potential.

Castia

No Fellaini in the squad :lol:

Giggs not giving a feck about Moyes and his £27m man.

Eirik Raude

Kagawa out on the left again? Rio Ferdinand, really? Jones on right back, my god how difficult is it to understand that Jones and Smalling are centre backs? Giggs just as clueless as anybody else, just as creative as anybody else, just as boring as anybody else.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He better keep that suit on. Last thing I want is him coming out in his Pulis gear.

Giggsforever

Kagawa out on the left again? Rio Ferdinand, really? Jones on right back, my god how difficult is it to understand that Jones and Smalling are centre backs? Giggs just as clueless as anybody else, just as creative as anybody else, just as boring as anybody else.
Horrible from Giggs. Playing all his mates.

Amir

Sack Giggs, sell Giggs.

To be fair, Rafael is just injured. Can't say I'm keen on the lineup. Nor do I care too much. It's dead rubber stuff for us and he's not going to be the manager next season. So whatever.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
has looked very composed and natural as manager on the bench for his first ever half.

NM

Who would you play at right back? Rafael is our only right back and he is injured. Who would you play on the left? Mata? same issue as Kagawa. Nani? Barely played at all.

Don't complain for the sake of it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lovely.

Did I say personality alone is all that is needed?

Giggs has had 20+ years under Fergie, the greatest ever manger, has holloway had that?

Giggs has been involved in over 1000 top class games, has Holloway had that?

Giggs has been involved in 3 Champions League Finals, Holloway?

There's a huge number of things Giggs has in his favour, if he's got the intelligence to transfer it to management there is no better candidate.
If he's got so much potential, why doesn't he go and prove himself at smaller clubs first?

ryansgirl

For me a key question would be this: If Ryan became the Manager for next season, would a lack of distance from the players be the real problem? That is the real question, I think.

While I'm a Louis Van Gaal fan and think he is the man to go to if the manager will definitely be chosen from outside the club, I'm daring to dream about Ryan Giggs, Manchester United's successor to Sir Alex and David Moyes.

Ryan does tick all the boxes - with the support system in place at Old Trafford, if we bring in a wise, experienced Director, Scholesy and Co, Sir Alex's wisdom to draw upon with no competition between the two of them, no hidden agendas, and all that experience of making history and being the consummate professional since he was a teenager, plus the highest level of footballing intelligence allied with his natural perceptiveness and interpersonal skills, we do have our next Manager if we want him.

But how about his relationship with the other lads? Too close?

Last edited:

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
If he subs Young on for Kagawa, the Caf will end up hiring a plane next week!

savais

Bit disappointed with the lineup...would have hoped mata and januzaj were playing...but at least there was a bit more tempo....for most of that half

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I just don't get his team selection. Ferdinand and Vidic are well finished, Jones isn't a full-back, Valencia's been Valencia and persisting with Cleverley and Carrick in a midfield-two is plain bizarre.

Very underwhelmed thus far.