Giggs: I told the club to sign Mbappe and Jesus

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Just an observation on the amount of people taking the piss out of the opinion of one of our greatest and most decorated players.

It's an odd phenomena and occurs whenever Giggs has something to say.
When Pele or Maradonna say something dumb people Here will rightly criticize them. Giggs said something dumb here.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Sweet Jesus, spare me the holier-than-thou moral bullshit in here. He made a tit of himself in his private life but why that has to be the focal point of every FOOTBALL related Giggs conversation is beyond me.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
what?you dislike my post? then just put me in your ignore list. simple.
I admire giggs as football player on the pitch. off, I dont like a person like him. fecking cheater always disgusts me and in this interview, he talked like he is so great to have eyes for talents, especially about mbappe. so funny...
Okay. will. do. Pal.

Kapardin

He was also bigging up Ashley Williams as a top 4 player....

I don't really envy City for Jesus though. He's decent, but he's being made to look really good by the service he gets in that team.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
:lol: Desperately tryna earn that Swansea vacancy.

Charles Miller

The difference between (Mbappe + Jesus) to (Rashford + Martial) is not enough to justify any regrets.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Giggs sounding a lot like Wenger here :rolleyes:

99% of talented player don’t live up to the hype. Stating you “could of signed player x for a few quid when they were 16” doesn’t help anyone really.

Hindsight is a wonderfully useless thing!
This.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
We definitely were, seeing as we signed Mbappe's team-mate. I like Martial but it does seem borderline negligent that our scouts spent that much time watching Monaco's youth players and picked out Martial as the only one worth signing.
Monaco weren't interested in selling Mbappe at all back then. Only reason they sold Martial was because of the failure to qualify for the CL.

Jesus, perhaps, could have been done but I imagine they'd have wanted more but they would have wanted way more than 5m.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Is Giggsy in that scout thread? Ask him who we should sign now.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
In the interview Giggs also talked about succeeding LvG and Mourinho's appointment.

Very, very solid interview.

Mentions the fact that the Liverpool game was killer and we should've gone for it as they weren't in great form. Speaks like a fan.

Any red which disagrees with a word of it is letting their personal dislike of Giggs the man clouding the interview.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Meh, who are what to believe? I could have sworn I read that we enquired about Martial and Mbappe? Apparently Monaco said Mbappe would be even more expensive or words to that effect.

Giggs is saying the opposite, so have no clue what to believe.

In any case, we didn't get them so we move on.
Yeah, I remember reading that (us asking about Martial and Mbappe at the same time) after Mbappe broke out and we were told no chance.

JASR

Official Redcafe Union Rep for City Posters Rights
Supports
City
Bizarre but:

This Keeps reminding me of part of Eminem’s lyrics in Without Me

And Moby? You can get stomped by Obie
You 36-year-old baldheaded fag, blow me!
You don't know me, you're too old, let go
It's over, nobody listens to techno

I think it’s how Eminem says the bolded bits that strike a chord, After 3+ years of ‘give it to giggsy’.

Mods: in case some muppet reports: Not the other lines, just those bolded bits.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Everyone and their mother was rating Mbappe, Arsene Wenger even tried to sign him. As for Jesus, there's no possible way to get all the young talents in the world and horde them, we got Martial and then Rashford emerged. Signing Jesus makes very little sense.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Yeah, I remember reading that (us asking about Martial and Mbappe at the same time) after Mbappe broke out and we were told no chance.
So if that was the case, then I don't get what Giggs is saying exactly. If we really enquired about both as was reported, then how can he say the club ignored his advice to sign Mbappe?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If giggs is correct with his timeline then mbappe would have been 14-15 and jesus 16-17, i highly doubt lvg would veto or even have much input on which kids utd signed. Though what baffles me is what exactly was giggs doing scouting for the u18's when he was the first team assistant manager.
I highly doubt giggs is watching an epl matches on his leisure time let alone u17 in brazil

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I said we should sign Bale for 30m when he was at Southampton...

Sometimes you get 'em right and the club gets 'em wrong.

Maybe Giggs has a point though, our spending the last 5 years has been utterly woeful really.

For what we've spent we should have 2 GREAT forwards, at least 1 Top Class 10 and at least 1 more top midfielder.

podurban2

We paid 7 or 8m for Bebe, and you think we could have snatched Mbappe for 5m? Make it 50m and we start talking.
Hmm I never mentioned the proposed price. I have no idea what his contract situation was back then.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
As an assistance manager didn’t do convincing part of signing them. It’s like saying in my resume I suggested to build the house but didn’t convince to go ahead with plan. What a waste time working with moyes and lvg as assistant manager. This guy has ruined all his chances better take up a job in championship and work his way up than try to poke club from out side moyes like
This is what I have been saying for a while.
Giggs was either terrible at explaining to LVG that he was going to get fired if he kept playing boring football. OR, he wanted to allow LVG play boring football, get fired, so he could take his job.
In both cases, Giggs is not the sort of guy I'd want managing MUFC.

Similarly, it seems that Giggs lacked the ability to convince the powers that be, that we should sign certain players.
Jose came in and immediately convinced our club to break the World record transfer fee and sign Pogba.
Even Moyes convinced our club to break our own transfer record, when we bought Mata.
Giggs on the other hand can't seem to convince anybody to do anything.

redshaw

What were his thoughts on Memphis Depay? We'll probably have 11 left sided players with more hindsight.

RaptorSlo

The real question here is, how many other players he suggested signing, that remained unknown.

Loublaze

ATLien
This is what I have been saying for a while.
Giggs was either terrible at explaining to LVG that he was going to get fired if he kept playing boring football. OR, he wanted to allow LVG play boring football, get fired, so he could take his job.
In both cases, Giggs is not the sort of guy I'd want managing MUFC.

Similarly, it seems that Giggs lacked the ability to convince the powers that be, that we should sign certain players.
Jose came in and immediately convinced our club to break the World record transfer fee and sign Pogba.
Even Moyes convinced our club to break our own transfer record, when we bought Mata.
Giggs on the other hand can't seem to convince anybody to do anything.
This is a strange post. Giggs wasn't given the big job so therefore he was never in a position to convince the club to make any signings in the first place.

SER19

It was reported at the time that giggs was the one doing the scouting on martial. Don't see why people would think he's making this up

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Our transfers dealings in the recent years before Mourinho (including SAF) were hardly world class so this coming from Giggs isn't surprising. Youth recruitment was especially poor outside the UK and Ireland.

deafepl

God, ffs. We should have signed Mbappe before and sell it to PSG for 160m and spend 160m on top of 150m annual budget to strengthen the first team overnight :devil:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It was reported at the time that giggs was the one doing the scouting on martial. Don't see why people would think he's making this up
Gabriel Jesus and Kylian Mbappe did not come out of nowhere. They were both hyped for years in their countries and were known by top clubs for a long time. Even if he told the club to sign them there was never a time they could have been had for 5m.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Our youth recruitment for foreign youth has been nothing short of abysmal. That seems to have been addressed now with the overhaul to our scouting network and hopefully we'll see the efforts bare fruit very soon.

SER19

Gabriel Jesus and Kylian Mbappe did not come out of nowhere. They were both hyped for years in their countries and were known by top clubs for a long time. Even if he told the club to sign them there was never a time they could have been had for 5m.
Don't disagree with that, I disagree with the assertion that giggs is now pulling out of his arse that these were players he recommended signing. He has very much become a lightning rod for people who carry a lot of messed up emotions about the time the club was really struggling,

These were innocuous comments but it's as if he can't open his mouth without offending somebody's sensibilities. Some claim he has no right to talk about getting any managers jobs when it seems they really want to be saying he shouldn't speak about football at all.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Don't disagree with that, I disagree with the assertion that giggs is now pulling out of his arse that these were players he recommended signing. He has very much become a lightning rod for people who carry a lot of messed up emotions about the time the club was really struggling,

These were innocuous comments but it's as if he can't open his mouth without offending somebody's sensibilities. Some claim he has no right to talk about getting any managers jobs when it seems they really want to be saying he shouldn't speak about football at all.
Exactly. These are the same people on this site that literally wank over pictures of Scholes.
Giggs is our most decorated player. Show some fecking respect. Yes he's a flawed human being and its disgraceful what he did. But we're talking football here and that man gave us all more fun times over the long career he had with us (and only us) than anyone. He produced magical moments probably only Best or Ronaldo could provide,. For two decades!

Reel yourselves in.
Giggs the man is for another thread.
Giggs the player is second to none!