Music Glastonbury 2023

Redfan94

No question about it, QOTSA easily the best set as this year's Glastonbury. Absolutely fecking destroyed. Epic.
Manics sounded incredible considering how long they’ve been about, QOTSA at the moment are just the pinnacle in terms of what a live band should be though. Fully agree.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
They are unreal live. Never been disappointed with them ever.
I’m not, or wasn’t at least, even a real fan. My kids liked them and I’d promised to take them to see them when they got old enough. That gig blew me away and Im now a bigger Muser than both my kids :)

Manncunian

She is great. What’s so funny?
Touting her as a future legend akin to Elton John is just utterly laughable, and quite frankly insulting to the great man and to many others in the music industry who actually have discernible talent

Churning out what can only be described as some of the cringiest unoriginal pop going, with a small handful of broadly well known ‘top’ songs. She also certainly doesn’t appeal to a broad audience like Elton etc. I’d say mostly teenage girls and the likes.

Rant over.

I am fully expecting a barrage of abuse for saying this. The haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.

Volumiza

In Huddersfield? Supported by Royal Blood, I had tickets for that but sold them to see QOTSA on the same night. Was well pissed they were on the same night.
Yes mate, good little stadium and ace weather. It was the most boisterous crowd I’ve seen at a muse show so far. We went from our seats and joined in.

Royal Blood were good too.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I’m not, or wasn’t at least, even a real fan. My kids liked them and I’d promised to take them to see them when they got old enough. That gig blew me away and Im now a bigger Muser than both my kids :)
Class :lol:

My dad got me into Muse. Back in the Limewire days, he was always asking me to download Muse songs for him for his MP3 player and eventually, I listened myself. Didn't like them at first but weirdly when The Resistance came out I massively got into them.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
That's still quite a cool story mate
I met the late Duke of Edinburgh in a similar way on the grounds of Windsor. He offered us a ride in his land rover :lol:

I met a lot of famous people when I was younger in various ways, I guess I just don't really process it like that. I have some proper embarrassing stories too though...

Yeah but it’s glasto innit? Different air whisks around that place dude. Some of the very best moments in my life have been there and you just have to catch it right and it’s magic as we’ve seen tonight.

You can do it dude :)
It has been a while, I do miss festival season. Nothing like Glasto though, even the very best Downloads over the years can't compare for pure joyous atmosphere imo.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
So Fred again and Taylor Swift are talentless wastes of space. Who knew

Volumiza

Class :lol:

My dad got me into Muse. Back in the Limewire days, he was always asking me to download Muse songs for him for his MP3 player and eventually, I listened myself. Didn't like them at first but weirdly when The Resistance came out I massively got into them.
Yes dude, same. My kids got into them when we’d be in the car with Uprising on repeat, singing away for whole journeys. Such good memories wrapped up with muse tbh. Been nice to share summat with the kids … even now they’re both too cool for Muse :)

pauldyson1uk

Touting her as a future legend akin to Elton John is just utterly laughable, and quite frankly insulting to the great man and to many others in the music industry who actually have discernible talent

Churning out what can only be described as some of the cringiest unoriginal pop going, with a small handful of broadly well known ‘top’ songs. She also certainly doesn’t appeal to a broad audience like Elton etc. I’d say mostly teenage girls and the likes.

Rant over.
nobody is comparing her, to Elton I asked if anybody now would be round in 30 years and could do 2 hours of hits
I can’t think of many that could, she could maybe.
Elton is a legend there will never be another Elton

Woodzy

Rant over.
Not in the slightest.

Redlambs

Rant over.
Yeah, you really don't understand what you are talking about here.

Taylor Swift is an immense talent and will go down as a legend by the time she's that ild. Hell, even reclaiming her own songs back from the system is something already legendary, let alone being able to play hours worth of songs to fans on her own instruments.

Of all the people to be wrong about for being "pop", you've picked a bad one there :lol:

Volumiza

It has been a while, I do miss festival season. Nothing like Glasto though, even the very best Downloads over the years can't compare for pure joyous atmosphere imo.
I always like glasto because of the single perimeter. You can loaf around with your own drinks / imbibements without getting searched and fleeced every few minutes like at most other festivals. There’s more a sense of anything goes there.

I went to download the other week for the first time ever. Really tame!

Berbaclass

I really don't like modern pop music at all but I listen to Taylor Swift. She's an incredible artist.

Redlambs

I always like glasto because of the single perimeter. You can loaf around with your own drinks / imbibements without getting searched and fleeced every few minutes like at most other festivals. There’s more a sense of anything goes there.

I went to download the other week for the first time ever. Really tame!
Yeah, I won't do download now. Back in the day it was really something, but not now.

Reading/Leeds all that have had their moments too (I remember doing Pearl Jam back to back on alternate nights, what a mission!)

But Glasto is glasto, nothing like it. I really should drag my lazy arse back.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
If Taylor Swift is at Glastonbury next year, the crowd would be fecking huge Comparable to tonight, easy. She also got some absolute bangers. It would be a massive concert

Superunknown

If Taylor Swift is at Glastonbury next year, the crowd would be fecking huge Comparable to tonight, easy. She also got some absolute bangers. It would be a massive concert
The mad thing is that it would probably be better value for money and cheaper to get Glastonbury tickets to see Taylor Swift (if she did headline there) than it would be to get tickets for her own standalone show.

There would be fans there who would only get the tickets to see her. They're another level of hardcore. I don't quite get it or the hype, but clearly some do!

Redlambs

Not ashamed to admit have a few songs on my Spotify.
Her shows are pretty good , plays instruments, writes her own stuff
Re-recording all her albums to get them out of the hands of one of the biggest cnuts in music too.

Respect for that alone, never mind the huge tour she's currently on where she'll let the crowd pick any song they want off of her many albums for her to play just her on an acoustic, and where it'll never be the same song twice.

I mean, of all the people to try to downplay :lol:

Yep, it would be huge.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
It's quite likely Taylor is headlining next year. She's in London on the Friday and Saturday of next year's glasto so nailed on to be Sunday headliner.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
On the Taylor Swift thing I think even people who are into music would struggle to name more than five of her best tunes. Whereas anyone, anywhere on the world, could easily reel off a load more Elton John hits. Although I think that’s just because how we consume music has changed. You don’t have a few megastars that everyone on the planet listens to. Tastes are more diverse and there’s just a load more music to listen to. So yeah, Taylor Swift wouldn’t have the same cultural reach as Elton John and probably never will. And I’m saying this as someone who enjoys her music and never liked anything from Elton John.

hodgey123

Re-recording all her albums to get them out of the hands of one of the biggest cnuts in music too.

Respect for that alone, never mind the huge tour she's currently on where she'll let the crowd pick any song they want off of her many albums for her to play just her on an acoustic, and where it'll never be the same song twice.

I mean, of all the people to try to downplay :lol:

Yep, it would be huge.
Not my cup of tea at all and there is no denying her talent, but she wouldn’t be getting a crowd the size of what we have just seen. It would be big but that is not getting beaten tonight.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Seen some clips of her Eros your, crowds where has big outside the stadiums. She did one 4 hout concert in torrential rain, she never missed a beat
Yeah, she's genuinely excellent. I'm not a hardcore fan or anything (I do really like quite a few of her songs though), but not acknowledging that she's a superb artist who would easily bring in a crowd as big as...anyone, really, is silly. She's more than just another disposable pop star

Bertie Wooster

I quite liked some of Taylor Swift's 'country pop' songs from her first 3 albums.

Can't say I'm a big fan of much of the chart songs nowadays, and her pop songs from about 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together' onwards weren't really my thing - though there's the odd one, like 'Blank Space'.

I believe some of her more recent albums have been less 'poppy', but I've not gone out of my way to hear them so don't know what they're like.

There's plenty of guitar bands I'd much prefer to listen headlining Glastonbury, but I'd be more inclined to watch Taylor Swift than most of the other big chart acts of this century.

Gavinb33

Would be hard to say. Someone like Taylor Swift maybe but I’d argue that she doesn’t connect with as many people as the greats like Elton.

Ultimately they don’t make music like they used to.
Problem is the saturation of music nowadays, every new thing is discarded as soon as the next new big thing comes along we live in a consumerist world and music is no different to anything imo

Withnail

Yeah, you really don't understand what you are talking about here.

Taylor Swift is an immense talent and will go down as a legend by the time she's that ild. Hell, even reclaiming her own songs back from the system is something already legendary, let alone being able to play hours worth of songs to fans on her own instruments.

Of all the people to be wrong about for being "pop", you've picked a bad one there :lol:
I don't get the Taylor swift love at all. You lot on here convinced me to listen to her last album. Dear God I felt a fool, it was exactly the bland pop nonsense I'd expected it to be.

The emporor has no clothes

Redlambs

The mad thing is that it would probably be better value for money and cheaper to get Glastonbury tickets to see Taylor Swift (if she did headline there) than it would be to get tickets for her own standalone show.

There would be fans there who would only get the tickets to see her. They're another level of hardcore. I don't quite get it or the hype, but clearly some do!
She's gained a lot of respect for re recording her albums to reclaim the rights from a known scumbag. And she can do that, because she writes her own songs and plays a lot of the instruments.

I think people are seeing the talent in a new light.

On the Taylor Swift thing I think even people who are into music would struggle to name more than five of her best tunes. Whereas anyone, anywhere on the world, could easily reel off a load more Elton John hits. Although I think that’s just because how we consume music has changed. You don’t have a few megastars that everyone on the planet listens to. Tastes are more diverse and there’s just a load more music to listen to. So yeah, Taylor Swift wouldn’t have the same cultural reach as Elton John and probably never will. And I’m saying this as someone who enjoys her music and never liked anything from Elton John.
There's some merit to this I think.

Although, that is fellow boomer talk too, as TS is definitely the same amongst the tiktok generation. The kids would name a lot of her songs, She's had a lot more number 1's for a start.

At Elton's age, I think she'll be way bigger than when Dolly Parton played Glasto too.

But more than all of this, Glastonbury crowds tend to love the huge legend stars no matter who they are. I've been to many over the years and I can't think of a single bomb where people weren't singing along to every song. Swift will do that easily at some point, much like Pink probably will and Lady gaga should too. There are plenty of big talents who will headline and fill that field yet to come.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I seem to have wandered in to the Taylor Swift thread by mistake.

Berbaclass

Highly doubt that honestly. There will be a split in the demographic which favors one side or the other after a certain age. You say people know more Elton songs but he's literally been around for much, much longer.

I'm 29 and I could barely name more than 2-3 Elton John songs but could easily tell you 10 Taylor Swift songs.