Music Glastonbury 2023

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Caught up on some sets on iPlayer - struck me that loads of the acts (Foos, Manics, Fatboy Slim, Leftfield etc) are exact same as when I went to Glastonbury 20+ yrs ago

Not sure what this says about modern music

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Pulp, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, I reckon. Springsteen in 2025 for the 50th anniversary of Born To Run
Pulp is a new shout from the odds I've seen, but I could definitely see it. Would definitely prefer them to Harry Styles or Sam Fender, who appear to be the frontrunners. Nothing against either but I just don't they've got the songs to carry the slot.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Caught up on some sets on iPlayer - struck me that loads of the acts (Foos, Manics, Fatboy Slim, Leftfield etc) are exact same as when I went to Glastonbury 20+ yrs ago

I think a lot of that is because a significant chunk of Glastonbury attendees are people who have not been listening to new music much in the last couple decades.

Andy_Cole

To continue the Gen Z headliner of the future. What about Logan Paul and KSI in Prime outfits? Did I do this right?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think a lot of that is because a significant chunk of Glastonbury attendees are people who have not been listening to new music much in the last couple decades.
Ye seems the average age of a Glasto attendee has gone up a lot in recent times, maybe this is due to the expensive ticket prices nowadays?
I might be remembering wrong but pretty sure it wasn't like that 20yrs ago (ye old man yells at cloud etc)

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes

Sure you're not just looking at the Headline/Legends tab on iPlayer?

Looking at the headliners of the five main stage (ie the stages BBC broadcast and are therefore on iPlayer), only five of those 15 existed twenty years ago. Looking at all the acts who played across those five stages, I'm estimating 80 of them are new in the last 20 years. There is an insane amount of new music available at Glastonbury, but the fact there are 100+ stages means the vast majority of it isn't seen unless you scan the full line-up.

fergieisold

Ye seems the average age of a Glasto attendee has gone up a lot in recent times, maybe this is due to the expensive ticket prices nowadays?
I might be remembering wrong but pretty sure it wasn't like that 20yrs ago (ye old man yells at cloud etc)
Not sure what the prices were 20 years ago, but even now they’re a bargain really.

pauldyson1uk

OK £350 is expensive , but when you consider what you get , its not really.
4-5 days camping, all the music you can get, loads of stuff to do, considering the price of concert tickets, Def Leopard Lythem this weekend is £100+ , Pulp who are playing in small place they want £70+, Foo Fighters next year, £84.40 for standing and between £56.25-£106.80 for seated, the £350 sounds better value even more

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Sure you're not just looking at the Headline/Legends tab on iPlayer?

Looking at the headliners of the five main stage (ie the stages BBC broadcast and are therefore on iPlayer), only five of those 15 existed twenty years ago. Looking at all the acts who played across those five stages, I'm estimating 80 of them are new in the last 20 years. There is an insane amount of new music available at Glastonbury, but the fact there are 100+ stages means the vast majority of it isn't seen unless you scan the full line-up.
I've been checking stuff on all the tabs on iPlayer - Fatboy Slim, Leftfield are under Dance for a start

Obviously I know there is a ton of new music on show, just seems to be a higher % of nostalgia than there used to be

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
4-5 days camping, all the music you can get, loads of stuff to do, considering the price of concert tickets, Def Leopard Lythem this weekend is £100+ , Pulp who are playing in small place they want £70+, Foo Fighters next year, £84.40 for standing and between £56.25-£106.80 for seated, the £350 sounds better value even more
It's a bloody cheap get away if you ask me, add to the fact you get all that free music and everything else I don't get the hate tbh, well I do it's the old times change thing but whatever.

RedNome

I've been checking stuff on all the tabs on iPlayer - Fatboy Slim, Leftfield are under Dance for a start

Obviously I know there is a ton of new music on show, just seems to be a higher % of nostalgia than there used to be
It's because they still put a lot of the new stuff to shame, they've all aged well from the 90's dance scene.

Btw, nice to speak again, been a while.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Not sure what the prices were 20 years ago, but even now they’re a bargain really.
So according to this I paid £83 in 1999 (and yes i did actually pay unlike many others!) so we are talking about 400% inflation.
I do get that many things will have improved since then but still seems a huge increase and I wonder how many students nowadays can afford it.

Gig tickets in general do seem to have gone up more than comparable stuff - for example I doubt tickets at Old Trafford have even doubled in the same time frame.

Also it's often quite different seeing a band on their own tour Vs at festival where they generally do shorter sets so not necessarily comparing like with like.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's because they still put a lot of the new stuff to shame, they've all aged well from the 90's dance scene.

Btw, nice to speak again, been a while.
Wow a real blast from the past! How long have you been back around these parts ?!

And yes the Leftfield set was top - Fatboy Slim though seems he's just pushing a button and dancing around on stage nowadays, don't think he's doing much live but good effort on the visuals

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

So according to this I paid £83 in 1999 (and yes i did actually pay unlike many others!) so we are talking about 400% inflation.
I do get that many things will have improved since then but still seems a huge increase and I wonder how many students nowadays can afford it.

Gig tickets in general do seem to have gone up more than comparable stuff - for example I doubt tickets at Old Trafford have even doubled in the same time frame.

Also it's often quite different seeing a band on their own tour Vs at festival where they generally do shorter sets so not necessarily comparing like with like.
I can see where you are coming from , 400% is a huge leap.
Just info seat price at OT in 1999 were £17 and £24 the first game at home next season the cheapest I can find is £74

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I can see where you are coming from , 400% is a huge leap.
Just info seat price at OT in 1999 were £17 and £24 the first game at home next season the cheapest I can find is £74
Cheapest seats at Old Trafford are £30 nowadays (limited amount though) with many in the £40-50 range

RedNome

Wow a real blast from the past! How long have you been back around these parts ?!

And yes the Leftfield set was top - Fatboy Slim though seems he's just pushing a button and dancing around on stage nowadays, don't think he's doing much live but good effort on the visuals
Not that long really, sporadic poster these days, music topics always peek my interest though.

TBF I wasn't really including Norman in that, I'm not listing the others though I'd be here all day :lol: and you know who anyway, the 90's were just so good for dance music and it all stands up today.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Pulp, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, I reckon. Springsteen in 2025 for the 50th anniversary of Born To Run
They were getting guff due tomlack of diversity this year so you might be on to something here

also the meltdown from certain folks if they have two female pop performers will be very worth it

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Not that long really, sporadic poster these days, music topics always peek my interest though.

TBF I wasn't really including Norman in that, I'm not listing the others though I'd be here all day :lol: and you know who anyway, the 90's were just so good for dance music and it all stands up today.
I'm rarely out the United Forum nowadays but had been watching a fair bit of Glasto so ventured here

And ye I know the list - saw Orbital recently after the 10th time they have reformed and coincidentally they were on the bill in the '99 poster above.
you should go and bump some old threads to teach the young 'uns

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I'm rarely out the United Forum nowadays but had been watching a fair bit of Glasto so ventured here

And ye I know the list - saw Orbital recently after the 10th time they have reformed and coincidentally they were on the bill in the '99 poster above.
you should go and bump some old threads to teach the young 'uns
Where did you see orbital? Saw them at the Hammersmith Apollo back in April.

Saw Orbital at glasto in 1994 and that party ROCKED!

ZupZup

The thing is, people will say Glastonbury is expensive but it’s little different when you compare to other festivals and consider what you get for your money.

I think a weekend ticket to Reading/Leeds was £260 this year if you bought it early. And the festival isn’t near as big and you get silly restrictions like not being able to take your own alcohol around with you when you go to watch the music.

Glastonbury cost me £340 for the ticket, but I’ve only spent about £140 whilst I was there and I arrived when the gates opened on Wednesday morning which is 5 whole days.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Where did you see orbital? Saw them at the Hammersmith Apollo back in April.

Saw Orbital at glasto in 1994 and that party ROCKED!
Yep same !

But you were there earlier than me as my first time was Phoenix Fest 97

RedNome

Yep same !

But you were there earlier than me as my first time was Phoenix Fest 97
They were all so good at that time, saw the Chems in '97 in the dance tent at V, top gig, the best thing was at that time was less medleys of the oldies, the tunes got played out in full as that was all they had :lol:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

Coldplay and Muse in teeny tiny font.

macheda14

The thing is, people will say Glastonbury is expensive but it’s little different when you compare to other festivals and consider what you get for your money.

I think a weekend ticket to Reading/Leeds was £260 this year if you bought it early. And the festival isn’t near as big and you get silly restrictions like not being able to take your own alcohol around with you when you go to watch the music.

Glastonbury cost me £340 for the ticket, but I’ve only spent about £140 whilst I was there and I arrived when the gates opened on Wednesday morning which is 5 whole days.
The fact you can bring alcohol in and take it around makes it much cheaper in there than other festivals. At night time I’d take around 500 ml of vodka and buy diet cokes. Literally spent max 10 quid a night.

Woodzy

The great thing about Glastonbury is the bring your own booze thing. Makes it a much cheaper experience when you are there, albeit carting the booze from the car to the campsite is less fun.

Dan_F

Nah, it’s just far bigger with lots more stages than it was even 20 years ago. There’s also 60,000 more people attending than 20 years ago and they need far more acts to fill all of the stages.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Nah, it’s just far bigger with lots more stages than it was even 20 years ago. There’s also 60,000 more people attending than 20 years ago and they need far more acts to fill all of the stages.
Yeah, much bigger and almost complete demographic change since the 90’s. I noticed the huge increase in attendance I think the year JayZ headlined. It was huge that year and I don’t think it’s shrunk none since, probably bigger if owt.

Last edited: