Music Glastonbury 2023

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Iron Maiden do not have the cross over appeal than say Metallica did when they played, i couldnt ever see them playing a headline set there for that reason.
Yup, I would say their only slightly crossover song they had was Can I Play With Madness, and anyone remembering that will be well into their forties I'd say, same with AC DC as someone mentioned, a couple more recognisable songs but not enough for a Glasto headline set.

pauldyson1uk

Yup, I would say their only slightly crossover song they had was Can I Play With Madness, and anyone remembering that will be well into their forties I'd say, same with AC DC as someone mentioned, a couple more recognisable songs but not enough for a Glasto headline set.
ACDC was me and yeah, I can see your point, unless you are a fan you wont like many.
Maybe Highway to Hell and a few from Iron Man 2

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Yet to watch Elton's set, but I'm sure it'll make it into my top 10 of the weekend when I do.

Here's a song from 8 of the current top 10 for now. There doesn't seem to be a song from the Shame or Fred Again.. sets uploaded yet for some reason, they'd be in there too otherwise.

pauldyson1uk

Mel C has raised hopes that the Spice Girls could be set to play Glastonbury next year, saying the whole band want to perform at the Somerset festival.

The singer, 49, performed at the festival last weekend, taking to the Avalon Stage on Saturday night with a mix of her own hits and some classic Spice Girls songs.

In an interview with BBC Radio 6 Music’s Matt Everitt, she was asked whether the Spice Girls would accept an offer to play the Sunday teatime legends slot, and told him "all of the Spice Girls would like to play Glasto, that is the truth"
She continued: “Like I said to the audience (on Saturday night), doing a couple of Spice Girls songs, ‘a bit of a warm-up for next year?’ They’re rehearsed, they know the words, they’re ready.

RedNome

Mel C has raised hopes that the Spice Girls could be set to play Glastonbury next year, saying the whole band want to perform at the Somerset festival.

The singer, 49, performed at the festival last weekend, taking to the Avalon Stage on Saturday night with a mix of her own hits and some classic Spice Girls songs.

In an interview with BBC Radio 6 Music’s Matt Everitt, she was asked whether the Spice Girls would accept an offer to play the Sunday teatime legends slot, and told him "all of the Spice Girls would like to play Glasto, that is the truth"
She continued: “Like I said to the audience (on Saturday night), doing a couple of Spice Girls songs, ‘a bit of a warm-up for next year?’ They’re rehearsed, they know the words, they’re ready.
Not a fan particularly but that would be an obviously banging Glasto set, everyone knows and can sing along in a drunken field to most of the stuff they'd end up playing.

pauldyson1uk

Another came to mind this morning Fleetwood Mac, they would make good headliners.
They was rumbling they were planning to do the cancelled 2020 but they denied it saying the money was not enough.
This was from something I read.

50th anniversary, which was supposed to go ahead in 2020, and Paul McCartney is among the names who are confirmed to appear. However, initially, Fleetwood Mac were heavily muted to take part.

It was later revealed that the group refused to accept due to the low fee on offer by the charitable festival. A source close to the Somerset event told The Sun in 2019: “Michael Eavis is a huge fan and really, really wanted to make it work. He knew getting them on board for the 50th anniversary would be extra special and conversations were positive.

“They even hinted at it on stage when they played Wembley in June, joking to fans they still had, ‘a big field to play at a rained-out festival in England next year’.”

The source continued: “But ultimately, while Mick Fleetwood was up for it with the money on offer, other members didn’t feel it was worthwhile.”

Commenting on the rumours in 2019, Fleetwood confirmed his ambitions to play at Worthy Farm, and said, “Of course, we’ve been asked to play and it’s never worked out. I think the legend of Glastonbury and Fleetwood Mac will come true. I think I’ll burn in hell if we don’t do it one day.”

If money has been the stumbling block then it’s a sad state of affairs, which reflects poorly on the group. Emily Eavis from Glastonbury spoke about the fees they pay in 2017 and revealed artists get paid “probably less than 10% of what they’d get from playing any of the other major British festivals. [So] Glastonbury relies completely on goodwill.”

When The Rolling Stones headlined The Pyramid Stage in 2013, they reportedly made a loss on their performance, yet, that didn’t matter in the slightest because they had their moment in the sun on the biggest stage in Britain, which is a feat that looks like it will sail past Fleetwood Mac.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
seeing a lot about The 1975.
I have to be honest I know nothing about them, are they headline worthy ?
Been selling out arenas for years, headlined Reading and Leeds twice, and sold out Finsbury Park for this weekend, so I'd say so.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
These days they seem mainly famous for their lead singer occasionally saying something stupid.
They'd very much get on better by keeping him from speaking (at least without the rest of the band there).

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It is a life times ambition to go to Glastonbury for both myself and my wife. Now we have a 2 year old to look after it's not going to happen for a few years yet but hopefully in the next 10 we will get there.

pauldyson1uk

It is a life times ambition to go to Glastonbury for both myself and my wife. Now we have a 2 year old to look after it's not going to happen for a few years yet but hopefully in the next 10 we will get there.
I watch it every year but never really wanted to be in that massive Sunday night headliner crowd, but this year I did, but to be honest getting a bit long in the tooth to do 4 days of camping, my back would not take it, so I will carry on watching on TV.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I watch it every year but never really wanted to be in that massive Sunday night headliner crowd, but this year I did, but to be honest getting a bit long in the tooth to do 4 days of camping, my back would not take it, so I will carry on watching on TV.
Camping is all part of the fun - we have a little camper van that we could get over on the boat so that's probably how we would do it if possible. It's not super comfortable but it beats being in a tent

RedNome

Another came to mind this morning Fleetwood Mac, they would make good headliners.
They was rumbling they were planning to do the cancelled 2020 but they denied it saying the money was not enough.

50th anniversary, which was supposed to go ahead in 2020, and Paul McCartney is among the names who are confirmed to appear. However, initially, Fleetwood Mac were heavily muted to take part.

It was later revealed that the group refused to accept due to the low fee on offer by the charitable festival. A source close to the Somerset event told The Sun in 2019: “Michael Eavis is a huge fan and really, really wanted to make it work. He knew getting them on board for the 50th anniversary would be extra special and conversations were positive.

“They even hinted at it on stage when they played Wembley in June, joking to fans they still had, ‘a big field to play at a rained-out festival in England next year’.”

The source continued: “But ultimately, while Mick Fleetwood was up for it with the money on offer, other members didn’t feel it was worthwhile.”

Commenting on the rumours in 2019, Fleetwood confirmed his ambitions to play at Worthy Farm, and said, “Of course, we’ve been asked to play and it’s never worked out. I think the legend of Glastonbury and Fleetwood Mac will come true. I think I’ll burn in hell if we don’t do it one day.”

If money has been the stumbling block then it’s a sad state of affairs, which reflects poorly on the group. Emily Eavis from Glastonbury spoke about the fees they pay in 2017 and revealed artists get paid “probably less than 10% of what they’d get from playing any of the other major British festivals. [So] Glastonbury relies completely on goodwill.”

When The Rolling Stones headlined The Pyramid Stage in 2013, they reportedly made a loss on their performance, yet, that didn’t matter in the slightest because they had their moment in the sun on the biggest stage in Britain, which is a feat that looks like it will sail past Fleetwood Mac.
Sad really but not much of a surprise, greedy and short sighted.

RedNome

Pink Floyd would be the killer slot, but obviously never going to happen, especially after the recent exchanges :lol:

Aerosmith could be fun too, loads of well known hits.

Also Duran Duran, can't believe they haven't already done it, hit after hit.

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Pink Floyd would be the killer slot, but obviously never going to happen, especially after the recent exchanges :lol:
My wife saw Pink Floyd play at Live Earth which was the last ever time they played with full line-up. I hate her for it.

Zebs

Performance of the weekend wasn't recorded but here she is in the BBC studio instead.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
I think they would be absolutely fine to headline

ZupZup

I don't think Fleetwood Mac would do it now tbh. With Christine McVie passing away, Mick Fleetwood said earlier this year that they wouldn't perform again. They would have been great headliners in the past, so it's a shame they never played it. I have been kind of lucky I guess in that I got to see their last ever European festival headline show in 2019.

I am pretty sure Emily Eavis said they have two female headliners planned for next year. Taylor Swift is almost certainly closing the festival on the Sunday and there have been rumours that Rihanna might headline as the other one.

Pink Floyd , not a fan, Aerosmith and defiantly Duran Duran would be excellent.
Aerosmith I can definitely see playing Glasto soon. They were booked to play in 2020 before the Covid cancellation. Duran Duran would be great too, so many recognisable hits.

Zebs

It's ok, not sure about her voice though to be honest. Maybe just not for me.
I do understand her style not being for everyone. That said, for me, she's easily the best artist coming out of Ireland right now and she's on the precipice of stardom. New album in October should do it.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Fleetwood Mac would be incredible if they did it. Would love to see that.

Duran Duran or Depeche Mode would be cool

Deftones doing the Friday night slot would be fecking awesome, too! Probably not gonna happen, but I would kill to see that.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

Deftones doing the Friday night slot would be fecking awesome, too! Probably not gonna happen, but I would kill to see that.
Are Deftones even remotely big enough to be headliners?

RedNome

Yeah, that's the big one for me, would love a headline Depeche set, that'd be frigging epic.

Woodzy

Aerosmith could be fun too, loads of well known hits.

Also Duran Duran, can't believe they haven't already done it, hit after hit.
It’s so bizarre that two men hate each more as they get older and not the opposite. Simon & Garfunkel are exactly the same.

Id love to see The Police at Glastonbury personally.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Are Deftones even remotely big enough to be headliners?
No but they are weirdly popular amongst teenagers, supposedly. Along with a few other of the early 2000's nu-metal bands.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
No but they are weirdly popular amongst teenagers, supposedly. Along with a few other of the early 2000's nu-metal bands.
Nu-metal is having a semi-resurgance so I'm not surprised.

Zebs

Pulp, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, I reckon. Springsteen in 2025 for the 50th anniversary of Born To Run