Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boondog

Apple have a TV channel and they bought the rights of something popular to show on it. The strategy is very simple.

But they didn't buy an MLS club or an MLB team, they only bought the TV rights. What we've seen so far suggests they don't want to be involved in sports development, but rather sports broadcasting. Buying United doesn't get you the rights to show their games live, and probably never will. You'd hardly call the ability so show 90 minutes matches the day after the game was played an enticing prospect for subscribers. And even if they thought it was, just strike a deal with United to show their highlights. You don't need the club for that.

Worse still, it could be a future problem owning a club. What if the PL TV rights come on the market again and Apple decide they want them? Owning a club could be a conflict of interest that might stop them bidding for the TV rights in the future. If showing more European football is their aim - which seems entirely likely - then being a club owner might actually muddy the waters.
Buying the club gives them every advantage in moving the team's broadcasts to Apple TV. The truth is the Glazers were idiots with media. Apple is a media savvy business with the streaming platform required to bring a top brand like United out in front and maximize revenue from it. If they buy this club we are in great hands. And I am not a fan of Apple in general but it is undeniable what they will be able to do with this club.

Drz

Will VR viewing of games become a thing? If so there could be an appeal for Apple or Amazon.

red thru&thru

Will VR viewing of games become a thing? If so there could be an appeal for Apple or Amazon.
IMO, this is a definite. It's not something that is around the corner, however, you can see so many opportunities with this. This is an example of why Apple purchasing Manchester United makes sense. So much more to come between football and technology. Just imagine what Old Trafford would be like.

Member 101269

What kinda bollocks is this :lol:
Do explain what part of not having permission to possibly make some identifiable, in a professional capacity, you struggle with?

Last edited by a moderator:

largelyworried

Buying the club gives them every advantage in moving the team's broadcasts to Apple TV. The truth is the Glazers were idiots with media. Apple is a media savvy business with the streaming platform required to bring a top brand like United out in front and maximize revenue from it. If they buy this club we are in great hands. And I am not a fan of Apple in general but it is undeniable what they will be able to do with this club.
Well I'm a huge fan of Apple and I'd love them to buy the club. But every argument seems to be "but United are really popular" and little else.

Bert_

As unlikely as it is its not out of the realm of possibity that Apple or another tech giant would consider buying us.

Apple have invested heavily in their streaming platform and the next big boom in football is streaming rights. Buying United gives them influence in the Premier League (along with a vote) to push the league down the streaming route.

Then there is the potential goldmine of consumer data they can tap into. Especially if they can access match streaming data.

On top of that they're cash rich so no issues getting funds together for a buyout and infrastructure investment.

cyberman

Companies don't just buy other companies because they're popular. Apple aren't going to try and buy Macdonalds any time soon.
That’s because McDonalds isn’t for sale? Why would they buy an unpopular brand? What benefits does that bring?

red thru&thru

Well I'm a huge fan of Apple and I'd love them to buy the club. But every argument seems to be "but United are really popular" and little else.
Biggest thing is, United would be self sustainable. Yes there would be up front cost initially, purely because if the negligence of the Glazers, however, after that, United pays for itself.

Any perspective buyer isn't taking a "risk" on United, as long as they don't saddle the club with debt and hire competent football people.

Sviken

Companies don't just buy other companies because they're popular. Apple aren't going to try and buy Macdonalds any time soon.
I mean, that's not the case. The vast majority of companies that are brought is because they are popular. You think Musk can't hire 1 programmer to recreate twitter for like 500 dollars? The reason he paid 44 billion for Twitter is precisely because of the brand itself

lsd

The Oracle
Apple would suit most of our players as they are overpriced and half the quality of other team's stars

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Saudi are going to buy both United and Liverpool in totally separate, totally unrelated, totally not royal family connected deals to add to Newcastle aren't they. The Saudi Premier League is only a couple of years away.

0le

Do explain what part of not having permission to possibly make some identifiable, in a professional capacity, you struggle with?
Do explain why "professor of physics" or "professor of economics" in any way makes your "friend" anymore or less identifiable? :lol:

The only people that will have any insight are those involved with bids and deals and secondly, those with access to those people - family or journalists. So, unless your colleague from your work is one of those, they just gave you an opinion, they don't know anything more than the rest of us.

fergieisold

Apple products are rarely if ever top of the line in terms of specification and features. They are really good with their software application and efficiency though, but nah.

and I’m an Apple user both for my phone and laptop.
I guess it means what the comparison is for ‘top if the line’. The phone for example isn’t just a case of brand identity, it’s a phenomenal piece of kit in my opinion.

crimsonflames

Biggest thing is, United would be self sustainable. Yes there would be up front cost initially, purely because if the negligence of the Glazers, however, after that, United pays for itself.

Any perspective buyer isn't taking a "risk" on United, as long as they don't saddle the club with debt and hire competent football people.
Apple shareholders would only be interested in potential growth. United doesn't offer that (until of course the Super League happens and/or individual broadcast rights happen, which then would open up streaming.. hmm).

cyberman

Apple shareholders would only be interested in potential growth. United doesn't offer that (until of course the Super League happens and/or individual broadcast rights happen, which then would open up streaming.. hmm).
To be fair we have been saying this for decades. Bubble going to burst etc and it’s done nothing but grow. I remember the approach in 2011 and people saying they’d be mad to turn down 1.5 billion for the club.
Imo the EPL with cannibalise other top leagues and you’ll see values rise all over the league. It’ll be the super league with the contracts to back it up

Status
Not open for further replies.