Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leg-End

Must be so easy to be a journalist at times, literally link any big company in the world to it and rake in the clicks.

red thru&thru

I think any interest from Amazon or Apple will without doubt depend on what they believe possible with streaming & content. The market for United there is absolutely enormous and would grow apple tv+ or primetv massively.

For context during the 2018/19 season, our games generated a cumulative audience reach of over 3.5 billion viewers, according to the Futures Data, across 200 territories. On a per game basis, our 53 games attracted an average cumulative audience reach of 68 million.
Very good point. Plus, there is MASSIVE growth that hasn't been tapped into for metaverse, etc.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Must be so easy to be a journalist at times, literally link any big company in the world to it and rake in the clicks.
Same principle as transfers. Pick a player then add three of the big clubs being interested for the clicks. Funny how it's very rare for only one club to be interested in buying a player these days. Big names = big interest. Wouldn't get the same worldwide coverage if it was only Sir Jim and Betfred involved.

Elcabron

Presume the Glazers are obliged to clear the debt upon sale? Similar to if you sold your gaff you would need to clear the mortgage? I suppose however the new owners could complete a leveraged buy out.

Marcelinho87

Presume the Glazers are obliged to clear the debt upon sale? Similar to if you sold your gaff you would need to clear the mortgage? I suppose however the new owners could complete a leveraged buy out.
Don't think leveraged buyouts are allowed anymore, I assume any sale price includes paying off the debt.

andyp

Why would Apple be interested? It's likely that clubs will be able to negotiate their own tv rights deals in the future, and apple would have a worldwide platform ready to go. Loads of content ready for Apple +

We're in the middle of the battle of the streaming platforms, could see it being a big content generator for their platform.

BarstoolProphet

Amazes me people buy it. Whitwell, Luckhurst etc basically anyone on the Man Utd beat are always going to be reliable. They don’t post nonsense.
Tbh Luckhurst has a habit of reading RedCafe and publishing stories that we would probably like. Hard to judge how reliable he really is. Whitwell is a completely different matter.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
All I can see is the original report coming from The Star so sounds like bollocks to me, can’t for the life of me see why they would be interested in a football club.
Direct to fans streaming ie MUTV. That's a gold mine, when the content delivery, gets more fragmented. They are already offering a match on MUTV less than 24hrs after its played.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Tbh Luckhurst has a habit of reading RedCafe and publishing stories that we would probably like. Hard to judge how reliable he really is. Whitwell is a completely different matter.
They often report exactly the same stuff. All those guys have the same/similar sources. Also, a transfer never ever happens without them reporting on it, no matter how credible the link from foreign media etc.

L1nk

What's funny is that if it is true that we have a line of Billionaires around the block looking to buy us already, it just goes to show just how much potential this club has and points out how unbelievably horrendous the Glazers were in tapping that potential. Some of the absolute worst businessmen i've ever seen, absolutely no long term vision or planning, all about the quick buck.

Utd7

I think the logic of some of these fans is the more money the owner has, the less they would need to load the club up with debt and the more we can throw our financial weight to stay relevant.
Exactly. Whoever buys United needs unlimited wealth to compete with City. It’s a different landscape.

MrPaxtons

Why would Apple be interested? It's likely that clubs will be able to negotiate their own tv rights deals in the future, and apple would have a worldwide platform ready to go. Loads of content ready for Apple +

We're in the middle of the battle of the streaming platforms, could see it being a big content generator for their platform.
This is the reason right here that apple would want united. Apple + is a big growth area for them and having united games live would be huge.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The weakness of sterling makes UK acquisitions of value especially attractive right now as they are all undervalued in dollars. This club is a very attractive media portfolio addition. If you had streaming rights to all Manchester United games that's better than 'Rings of Power' for Amazon. Or Apple TV.

Chumpsbechumps

Does anybody remember why Rupert Murdoch was not allowed to buy United? I remember some sort of conflict of interest being cited.

I think it’s something to do with owning a club where you also will be bidding on TV rights. If that’s the case, then if Apple did buy united I presume they would be confirming they have no intention of ever showing EPL games live or bidding on the rights.

Suedesi

Apple interest confirmed

It's completely out of the realm of possibility, but walk me through the thought process. Let's say Tim Cook is interested, how would Luckhurst even hear about it?

Is Luckhurst based in Palo Alto and has a good line into Apple HQ? Based in Florida and heard it at the Glazers' gulf club? In New York at some boardroom where financial and legal advisers are hashing it out?

No, he's a grifter based in rainy Manchester and is so completely removed from anything going on.

SirAF

Ageist

Again, I’m not buying it. HOWEVER, it is a compelling thought. We all know that Apple are developing their own AR/VR headset thingy. Imagine being immersed in a live match through that device.

LordSpud

What's funny is that if it is true that we have a line of Billionaires around the block looking to buy us already, it just goes to show just how much potential this club has and points out how unbelievably horrendous the Glazers were in tapping that potential. Some of the absolute worst businessmen i've ever seen, absolutely no long term vision or planning, all about the quick buck.
Their long term vision was buy "low" and with borrowed money and sell for crazy high. Absolutely brilliant business.

Edit: I should say that at the time 800m was crazy money but they knew what was going to happen with regards to the club and football in general so in hindsight it was good business.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Does anybody remember why Rupert Murdoch was not allowed to buy United? I remember some sort of conflict of interest being cited.

I think it’s something to do with owning a club where you also will be bidding on TV rights. If that’s the case, then if Apple did buy united I presume they would be confirming they have no intention of ever showing EPL games live or bidding on the rights.
He owned sky who had football media rights on the EPL

Infra-red

Given the politics of the UAE, the rivalry between United and Abu Dhabi-owned City, surely rules out Dubai. United need major investment, that is clear, but from what I've read so far, it looks most likely that it will be various US-based consortiums that will make the running (quite possibly some of those who missed out on Chelsea). Indeed, the Glazers have appointed the Raine Group, who sold Chelsea to Todd Boehly.

Status
Not open for further replies.