Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
So has nothing to do with the Qataris then? No matter who ends up buying us could provide Ten Hag with a war chest? What we need are sensible owners who run the club well, we don't need the Qataris for that.
Yes. But it will depend on the objectives of the various parties. If financial objectives are their top priority, do you think they will spend lavishly? They are most likely to cut costs first.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think most fans would just happily accept being able to get a mobile data signal inside Old Trafford.
It's like that in most stadiums in fairness, I can't even get signal in Deepdale or Ewood Park.

RopersReturn

At an asking price of £6b we already know the greedy Glazers have asked for far too much, but I see the emir believes £4.5bn is a more realistic offer? If the Qatar bid were to be accepted, or whoever for that matter, then surely that would still leave us in a precarious situation of being stuck with an enormous debt.

Chief123

What is happening this week :lol:
It’s the stuff dreams are made of. Liverpool completely destroyed having gone to absolute shite. The manager looking clueless. No interest from anyone to buy them.

Man City being shown for the cheaters they are. Their team stumbling with players falling out.

Utd balling on the pitch and now about to acquire a war chest. Pinch me and wake me up Susan. :drool:

Chief123

At an asking price of £6b we already know the greedy Glazers have asked for far too much, but I see the emir believes £4.5bn is a more realistic offer? If the Qatar bid were to be accepted, or whoever for that matter, then surely that would still leave us in a precarious situation of being stuck with an enormous debt.
What debt would that be? The amount of debt we are in is pennies for the reported interested parties.

cyberman

It’s the stuff dreams are made of. Liverpool completely destroyed having gone to absolute shite. The manager looking clueless. No interest from anyone to buy them.

Man City being shown for the cheaters they are. Their team stumbling with players falling out.

Utd balling on the pitch and now about to acquire a war chest. Pinch me and wake me up Susan. :drool:

Chief123

Can PSG become United's feeder club?
I wouldn’t be surprised to see PSG binned off if the reported links are the same guys pulling the strings at PSG. PSG was their avenue of getting into the European game with a relatively big club. But once you acquire a bigger and better car, you normally sell off the older car or sell it on WeBuyAnyCar and then twerk down the drive singing “I sold my carrrr, to we buy any carrrrr, I sold my carrrr”

Rolaholic

Why does this sound too good to be true? :lol:

Literally everything we'd want done as fans checked

MUFC OK

Fair enough. We do need a new owner who's prepared to invest in infrastructure etc. My point here is that we're not a club who's been held back from contention by a shortage of financial resources. And if I ask myself what is needed for United to become a leading club again, an owner who puts up a huge transfers war chest over and beyond what the club's own income can support doesn't really figure very prominently.
The best one can ask for is to be able to spend what money the club makes. Anything beyond that would likely infringe FFP (although Boehly has found a way around that).

Assuming the finances for playing squad come from our own revenues, we’d be looking for someone who can invest beyond that on infrastructure.

Also, a general best in class approach to recruitment of staff etc would go along way - I guess that can be described as having genuine ambition.

Lee565

Why would we want this when everything these middle east investors touch make a mockery of football

Tarrou

According to who? Who told you that is their agenda? So what is the motivation for a Western country trying to get a World Cup, for instance? Is the immediate assumption that it could only possibly be to I dunno, deflect, away from any sort of negative perception of their country? Or are they immediately separated from each other because 'it's not the same thing' (obviously).

Qatar, like ANY other country, are using sports to advance their country in the same way that ANY other country would want to use it to advance theirs. The immediate surmising that any progressiveness from the ME is 'sportswashing' is ridiculous and xenophobic in and of itself to me. It's saying that the ME should be identified solely by their rightful position in the world as evil barbarians and shouldn't try and 'buy their way into the light'. My point is, your definition of them is likely not the same as their own of themselves. They are simply a sovereign state, with leaders who have the responsibility to do what they feel is best for their country. If your conclusion that Britain bidding for the Olympics in 2012 was not an effort to 'wash' away any stigma held about them from Iraqi invasion, then I see zero reason for Qatar hosting a World Cup or daring to try and do something good for their country being dismissed as such. I'm sure you took Iraqi invasion and Olympics 2012 to be totally disconnected.

Qatar would not be doing anything to 'repair a tarnished reputation', they would be making moves to grow their country just as anyone else would. What you choose to think of them is up to you. In the grand scheme of things, why would they give a shit about whether you agree with their policies or not anyway? The only way it would affect them is that you may choose to not go there on holiday and contribute to tourism. Which is a right that you still reserve whether or not they own United.

This sportswashing thing just says 'we have labelled you as the evil bad guys, stop trying to confuse things by doing anything good. We've already decided not to like you, please make it easy for us by only killing people'. Perhaps if they make a medicinal breakthrough you would be like 'there you go again trying to not accept who you are'. Even taking your statement at its most literal, clearly you have an issue with a nation wanting to repair its reputation.

They are telling you that there is more to their country to homophobia and anything else you don't like, but you have a problem with them being associated with anything other than that, clearly. Who are you to decide that is all they're good for? Do you think Arabs agree with a country where men wear makeup and tight dresses, change genders, get into drunken and drug fuelled debauchery? Probably not, but yet they still come here for the bits they like. They still engage in the sports, still do business. That is because clearly that is not all they associate with Western states. There is good and bad, and people need to accept that there is good and bad in Qatar and ME states. If you choose to not engage with them at all on the basis of the bits that you don't like, it is of course your own right - but they still have a country to run and develop, and there's no reason why they shouldn't look to do so without everything being done from the context of the things you don't agree with.

I've said before in this thread - Qatar just hosted a whole World Cup. They did NOTHING to conceal the fact that they despise homosexuality and drunkards, for example. In front of the cameras, they banned pro-LGBT displays and banned alcohol. They are not as invested in how you view their views on these things as you think. They simply said this is how we do things, now we'll get on with the business of hosting a great World Cup. Which they did. You could choose not to go, that's fine. But they didn't pretend that they were not anti-LGBT so that you could come and like them. But because they are not pro-LGBT also didn't mean that they should not get on with doing what is right for their country and putting on a great show.

The dismissal or simplification of ME sports projects as 'sportswashing' is just a western superiority position for me. Hosting the F1 would appeal to them for the exact same reasons it would appeal to Britain.
again, sportswashing is not an exclusively ME thing or label.. in fact I am pretty sure western countries started it

many western companies have been accused of sportswashing too, like Ineos

it exists throughout many sports and not just football

I guess you'll just ignore this point again so no need to reply with another rant about the ME and stuff, you've already proved a few times you don't even understand what it is

MUFC OK

Probably because we are so used to the glazers who don’t know the first thing about football, only care about strategy as far as impacts their wallets and make only limited attempts to understand what is important to fans.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen

AND it seems we get to keep our genius baldy!! :D:drool: (since some people were worried if new owners would bring in someone of their own liking.)

Teja

So has nothing to do with the Qataris then? No matter who ends up buying us could provide Ten Hag with a war chest? What we need are sensible owners who run the club well, we don't need the Qataris for that.
FSG were "sensible" owners. They took Liverpool's existing revenues and built the best side they could. Ultimately, they understand they can't compete against Oil money. It doesn't make sense for them financially to see through a rebuild and they'd rather just take their profits now.

Both clubs make ~ the same topline revenues.

MUFC OK

Biggest stumbling block will be dual ownership and how closely tied the funds are to a sovereign state. Pretty serious considerations but otherwise I see this happening.

Abizzz

One thing I don't understand is if someone is worth 300+ billion, is a big united fan and can/wants to buy United, why wait until 2023? Surely the club was in a much better position 10 or even 8 years ago.

Steve Bruce

FSG were "sensible" owners. They took Liverpool's existing revenues and built the best side they could. Ultimately, they understand they can't compete against Oil money. It doesn't make sense for them financially to see through a rebuild and they'd rather just take their profits now.

Both clubs make ~ the same topline revenues.
They both do, but lets put it in perspective. When Liverpool where in the doldrums like United have been in the last 10 years, and United where at the top of the tree they where miles and miles behind. You flip the situation round with United behind in the doldrums and Liverpool being top of the tree and they are only able to match our revenues.

The point is, over the 5 years if United had of been in title challenges and CL challengers our income would have been much higher than it is.

Liverpool can only catch our revenues when their top and we're having our worst season ever in the Premier League history. that's a big difference.

Rolaholic

One thing I don't understand is if someone is worth 300+ billion, is a big united fan and can/wants to buy United, why wait until 2023? Surely the club was in a much better position 10 or even 8 years ago.
Apparently they tried years ago in 2011 but the Glazers weren't interested in selling

SB16

The owners have to be willing to sell! Not clear the Glazers have ever entertained that possibility before now.

MUFC OK

We weren’t for sale. Qatar had a strategy around the WC etc too.

Nights

Glazers weren’t looking to sell 10 years ago.

Cantonagotmehere

I don’t get celebrating this massively, I’m not over joyed about it, but I’ve fully accepted this was going to happen years ago. It was really the only likely way out of the Glazer mess. Feel like I’ve already made my peace with this outcome.
This is pretty much how I feel. Not overjoyed but I am realist and will always love Manchester United. I am a big Baltimore Orioles baseball fan, if I can put up with the Angelos family owning my beloved hometown team then I can deal with this.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
So.. welcome to the sports washing club then. Most of you seem pleased. Interesting.

youmeletsfly

Spending a few billion depends a lot on the right moment and the right opportunity. Plus, the Glazers didn't really want to sell as they knew the club will be valued much higher in the future.

The only good thing about Qatar buying United is that they won't need to do crazy shit like City did. We have enough sponsors and can produce our own money.

Still, being owned by Qatar doesn't sound good to me.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
According to Jackson even Emir thinks we are not worth 6b. They are prepared to offer 4.5b. Think 5-5.5 is what we will go for. Ratcliffe is definitely out looking at those numbers else we are looking at leveraged buyout of magnitudes higher than what we got in 2005

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
This is pretty much how I feel. Not overjoyed but I am realist and will always love Manchester United. I am a big Baltimore Orioles baseball fan, if I can put up with the Angelos family owning my beloved hometown team then I can deal with this.
I'm a big Red Sox fan - squaring FSG owning them and Liverpool is tricky!!

Teja

They both do, but lets put it in perspective. When Liverpool where in the doldrums like United have been in the last 10 years, and United where at the top of the tree they where miles and miles behind. You flip the situation round with United behind in the doldrums and Liverpool being top of the tree and they are only able to match our revenues.

The point is, over the 5 years if United had of been in title challenges and CL challengers our income would have been much higher than it is.

Liverpool can only catch our revenues when their top and we're having our worst season ever in the Premier League history. that's a big difference.
Yeah I agree, definitely a higher revenue potential with United.

Had we continued to be in the top 1-2 (or atleast deep CL knockouts) consistently, we probably would've made 20% more in revenues (pulled those numbers out of my ass, but seems right).

It's possible to build a competitive side with a 7-800M p/yr in revenues. Madrid, Barca, Bayern do that already. But it's so much harder to keep a dynasty going. Couple of mistakes (the Salah contract, Mane leaving etc.) and you're screwed for several years.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Ian Ladyman: "We are told it is not the Qatari state that wishes to take United off the hands of the Glazers, rather it is individual investors."

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Ian Ladyman: "We are told it is not the Qatari state that wishes to take United off the hands of the Glazers, rather it is individual investors."
I still think Emir is involved but maybe not directly. Solves both of the issues. He gets the team he wants and no conflict with PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.