Glazers / Woodward out! (One down)

Moiraine

Not moaning or complaining but i just give up on anything good from the club. People are talking about top 6, I think we will struggle to finish top half of the table. We are so so short that it is embarrassing, considering how much we have spent since Fergie left. Scratching my head over links of Arnautovic and Rabiot.

oz insomniac

So to the point on the demise of a once great club at the hands of greedy, soulless owners. Leveraged buyouts should never have been allowed ( as they are not in other major sports) and the EPL has to be hammered for their lack of foresight on this deal. Seriously , they should take steps to disallow the Glazers as owners as they did Abramovic, basically those at the top of the EPL only care bout money and their own image, by never admitting fault.

Act now and take action to stop the drain of funds from the club and the game, make the Glazers sell and return to Florida.

Last edited:

Telsim

What are the chances they will actually sell?
People talk like it’s quite likely.
People are grasping at anything that will give them hope. The truth is there is only one way the Glazers sell - out of their own volition. That is, when they themselves decide it's the best time to sell. Which is very unlikely to happen in the near future. Barring any extraordinary happenings, I see only two potential events that could make them sell: the creation of the ESL, or when Avram and Joel die. Either could take many, many years.

Forcing them out is a delusion borne out of desperation. It's never going to happen. The club is too big for this. It would require the cooperation of a huge amount of people over a prolonged period of time. For every person that refuses to go to match days there will be 3 people ready and waiting to take their place.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Honest question: Are the Glazers just a bit dim?

If they're in it for money, which we all assume, why are they happy to let inexperienced people run the club into the ground? Surely the smart thing for them would have been, years ago, to get a world class football director who could find hidden gems and allow us to be competitive on the relative cheap?

I don't understand how they've overseen a billion pounds of transfer spending, which has resulted in pretty much sweet F.A. and they're still not making real changes to the management of the company.

We hear stuff from the papers that they scrutinise everything at the club. Even spending on repairing the swimming pool at Carrington. If that's true I can only conclude that they're just not the clearest thinkers. Cos there are so many ways Man Utd could be run better and more profitably that they've just ignored. I know when Sir Alex was here there was someone to just do it all for them. But c'mon they've had 10 years to figure it out. Is it really so hard to look at what's happened at City and think: 'Hmm, maybe we need to do what they did and hire an experienced CEO and experienced Football Director?'

gica_7

People are grasping at anything that will give them hope. The truth is there is only one way the Glazers sell - out of their own volition. That is, when they themselves decide it's the best time to sell. Which is very unlikely to happen in the near future. Barring any extraordinary happenings, I see only two potential events that could make them sell: the creation of the ESL, or when Avram and Joel die. Either could take many, many years.

Forcing them out is a delusion borne out of desperation. It's never going to happen. The club is too big for this. It would require the cooperation of a huge amount of people over a prolonged period of time. For every person that refuses to go to match days there will be 3 people ready and waiting to take their place.
But there really is a chance that income might be going down now. No business will attract sponsors when it fails in its core operation. United has been able to attract sponsors because the hope to compete has never faded away. But now, after a massive failure like this window in addition to fan unrest, the sponsor income may be going down. If that happens, the value of asset will keep going down. So they may think it is better to sell.

Surely fake?

I’ve emailed regardless :lol:
It is not fake but probably it is an unused address. I added Richard Arnold on Linkedin a while ago. You can see this mail address there too.

Flying high

Would be nice if the media chooses to focus on the ownership if we are to have a rebuilding year that’s full of mixed performances on the pitch.
Nah, they'll just build us up every week and pretend to be shocked every time we drop points.

Slysi17

You are so wrong. Manchester United is in turmoil. You really think sponsors want to be assoicated with that. Things won't get better now. It will get worse. What the Glazers are doing is damaging the brand. There is only so much damage that a brand can take before it collapes. Businesses collapse because of mismanagement. Same with football clubs. If you think contiually mismanaging the club won't have an effect, you are a bit dum. I have a business degree so income decreasing has an effect on profit. I know this ends one way and its bad.

Last edited:

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Honest question: Are the Glazers just a bit dim?

If they're in it for money, which we all assume, why are they happy to let inexperienced people run the club into the ground? Surely the smart thing for them would have been, years ago, to get a world class football director who could find hidden gems and allow us to be competitive on the relative cheap?

I don't understand how they've overseen a billion pounds of transfer spending, which has resulted in pretty much sweet F.A. and they're still not making real changes to the management of the company.

We hear stuff from the papers that they scrutinise everything at the club. Even spending on repairing the swimming pool at Carrington. If that's true I can only conclude that they're just not the clearest thinkers. Cos there are so many ways Man Utd could be run better and more profitably that they've just ignored. I know when Sir Alex was here there was someone to just do it all for them. But c'mon they've had 10 years to figure it out. Is it really so hard to look at what's happened at City and think: 'Hmm, maybe we need to do what they did and hire an experienced CEO and experienced Football Director?'
Thinking the same thing myself. Ok they’re not going to use their own money to buy players or enhance the training facilities but at least hire the right people to run the club and make the right decisions. Maybe they’re closet Liverpool fans and it’s all a well thought out plan to ruin the club.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I just wish I savoured that evening in 1999 more when I was at the Camp Nou had I known our club would be dragged down so ruthlessly by a group of corporate parasites. It is honestly heart-breaking from a fan's perspective.

Lee565

This is where fans need to put all their focus if they don't like what they see on the pitch because it all starts from the top and it is domino effect that trickles down to the football pitch.

Nothing will change for the next 10 years and it will just be season after season of frustration on social media/united forums.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Thinking the same thing myself. Ok they’re not going to use their own money to buy players or enhance the training facilities but at least hire the right people to run the club and make the right decisions. Maybe they’re closet Liverpool fans and it’s all a well thought out plan to ruin the club.
Honestly, it baffles. You look at what they're doing and the only thing you can suggest, besides it being sabotage, is that they actually think they know what they're doing and can't see how much they're damaging their piggybank.

Slysi17

You are so wrong. Manchester United is in turmoil. You really think sponsors want to be assoicated with that. Things won't get better now. It will get worse. What the Glazers are doing is damaging the brand. There is only so much damage that a brand can take before it collapes. Businesses collapse because of mismanagement. Same with football clubs. If you think contiually mismanaging the club won't have an effect, you are a bit dum. I have a business degree so income decreasing has an effect on profit. I know this ends one way and its bad.
Further to this post look at Kodak. Went out of business because of mismanagement essentially and not being able to compete.

Further to this post look at Kodak. Went out of business because of mismanagement essentially and not being able to compete.
I agree with this and your original post too, but I would say though that we need more consistency as fans to make these sponsors realise they are signing up to a toxic brand. Look at Teamviewer and what happened to them because of being our new sponsor. Shares dropped because of fan outcry. United has recently gained two new sponsors in DXC and Qualcomm so companies still think there is an appeal being associated with Glazer United.

The closest we got to scaring the ownership was when the European Super League was announced and fans got the Liverpool game cancelled with their protest. It became world news and that damaged the brand. We need a mass walkout for every home game like Valencia fans did in May.

Telsim

You can't compare a football club to a purely commercial brand. There will always be people who go to matches, buy mechandise and engage with the club. And as it happens Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs on the planet. So that number of people will never be small, at least not in a reasonable time frame. Forums like this one tend to create a wrong perception. They are not representative of the level of engagement the larger fanbase has. A lot of people were exceedingly annoyed when the game against Liverpool was cancelled. They just want to go to games and go home. They don't much care about the rest. Or at least not enough to do anything about it. And even here on this forum a lot of people immediately bought into the fabled "rebuild", just because the owners shifted a few people around, even after the same people have consistently delivered failure for the past decade.

You are looking at this entirely the wrong way. The goal of the Glazers has evidently been not to make the club as profitable as possible, but to keep the club just profitable enough. They are not businessmen running a commercial enterprise or carefully looking after their investment. They are bankers who obtained the club with zero investment and zero risk on their side and are using it as purely a source of passive income to be discarded at an opportune moment. As for sponsors, reality disagrees with your assessment. The club just signed with two new sponsors: DxC and Qualcomm. And will keep doing so for the foreseeable future because the brand is stable for the reasons I already explained and it will keep exposing sponsors to eyes. It is still ahead in value when compared to clubs like City and Liverpool, despite them being overwhelmingly more successful competitively. Sure, that value might erode over a very long period of time, but that doesn't really matter to the Glazers because they are not affected by it. Remember, zero investment and zero risk. Right now I imagine they are hedging their bets on the ESL becoming a reality in some form or another and the club being a part of it (it will be a part of it), which will cause the value to shoot up. Then and only then I imagine they will consider selling.

Slysi17

I agree with this and your original post too, but I would say though that we need more consistency as fans to make these sponsors realise they are signing up to a toxic brand. Look at Teamviewer and what happened to them because of being our new sponsor. Shares dropped because of fan outcry. United has recently gained two new sponsors in DXC and Qualcomm so companies still think there is an appeal being associated with Glazer United.

The closest we got to scaring the ownership was when the European Super League was announced and fans got the Liverpool game cancelled with their protest. It became world news and that damaged the brand. We need a mass walkout for every home game like Valencia fans did in May.
Oh I get that Manchester United still have some value for sponsors. Not arguing with that. But for how long. I just can't see Manchester Uniteds reputation/brand sustaining much more.

Slysi17

You can't compare a football club to a purely commercial brand. There will always be people who go to matches, buy mechandise and engage with the club. And as it happens Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs on the planet. So that number of people will never be small, at least not in a reasonable time frame. Forums like this one tend to create a wrong perception. They are not representative of the level of engagement the larger fanbase has. A lot of people were exceedingly annoyed when the game against Liverpool was cancelled. They just want to go to games and go home. They don't much care about the rest. Or at least not enough to do anything about it. And even here on this forum a lot of people immediately bought into the fabled "rebuild", just because the owners shifted a few people around, even after the same people have consistently delivered failure for the past decade.

You are looking at this entirely the wrong way. The goal of the Glazers has evidently been not to make the club as profitable as possible, but to keep the club just profitable enough. They are not businessmen running a commercial enterprise or carefully looking after their investment. They are bankers who obtained the club with zero investment and zero risk on their side and are using it as purely a source of passive income to be discarded at an opportune moment. As for sponsors, reality disagrees with your assessment. The club just signed with two new sponsors: DxC and Qualcomm. And will keep doing so for the foreseeable future because the brand is stable for the reasons I already explained and it will keep exposing sponsors to eyes. It is still ahead in value when compared to clubs like City and Liverpool, despite them being overwhelmingly more successful competitively. Sure, that value might erode over a very long period of time, but that doesn't really matter to the Glazers because they are not affected by it. Remember, zero investment and zero risk. Right now I imagine they are hedging their bets on the ESL becoming a reality in some form or another and the club being a part of it (it will be a part of it), which will cause the value to shoot up. Then and only then I imagine they will consider selling.
Sorry but I have an accounting degree. I know what I am talking about. Doesn't matter what the Glazers intentions are. Manchester United are a business essentialy. Wasting money has an effect on profit. A business being mismanaged has a negative effect eventually. Plus income is going down due to not having champions league football. Not qualifying for the champions league next season means the adidas money gets cut by a certain amount. Liverpool and also Manchester City aren't that far off value wise.

RopersReturn

Glazer policies, buy the outdated, cheap and difficult players. The Glazers are well into destroying the club. They have nothing to lose, as they took a loan to buy the club and instantly transferred the loan in the name of the club. Smart trick where you do not invest but only milk the cow until it's dead. And then walk away with no loss.

gica_7

Surely fake?

I’ve emailed regardless :lol:
Guys trust me this might work. I've been writing messages to Arnold for over a month now on Linkedin. This morning I wrote him to say how incompetent he is.

I'VE JUST FOUND OUT TODAY HE BLOCKED ME.

Oh I get that Manchester United still have some value for sponsors. Not arguing with that. But for how long. I just can't see Manchester Uniteds reputation/brand sustaining much more.
Yeah, hopefully it is not for much longer. I don't for a second believe what Arnold said that protesting sponsors will essentially turn off investors if the owners decide to sell. In fact, I saw that admission as the weak point for the Glazers that needs to be targeted again and again and again. A mass walkout would also help as it would make world news and be easier to achieve than just not going to a game. United will always sell out tickets if traditional matchday fans don't buy tickets. I think the ownership is a bit on the ropes at the moment and we need to keep up the momentum so that the reputation/brand under Glazer ownership is toxic to the point of collapse.

I’m loving my life

It has already been said, but why aren’t the government stepping in like they did with Chelsea? If there was an ‘anti-Glazer’ clause underpinning the sale then surely that is an admission that what the Glazers are doing is wrong and needs some kind of action?

Is it because Chelsea are London-based (the rich area and United are from the perennially underprivileged north?

In the same way areas like the Lake District (natural heritage) and Stonehenge (cultural-historic heritage) get protection status to stop them being trashed is there not an argument for intervention with us? Off the top of my head there is a cultural/sporting capital at stake, peoples quality of life, tourism, and an economic argument too. The government should really be involved in removing these parasites for eroding all of these.

Scriblerus

Given that fan complaints apparently led to the Arnautovic deal being dropped, would any one like to join me in saying "F**k off you odious parasites, stop bleeding the club for profit and sell it to someone who has half an idea how to run it as a successful sporting operation not a conduit for sponsorship and merchandising"?

TrueRed79

This thread should be the only one of any interest on this forum. Going nowhere with them as owners.

The Irish Connection

Good posts and ideas in here. Hope the 1958 fan group keeps growing on social media and real world and can really pressure the owners into considering a sale.
Also fair play to that transfer guy on Sky for calling them out, need more of that.

The leveraged buy out now being illegal angle could be something worth pushing for with the PL.

It has already been said, but why aren’t the government stepping in like they did with Chelsea? If there was an ‘anti-Glazer’ clause underpinning the sale then surely that is an admission that what the Glazers are doing is wrong and needs some kind of action?

Is it because Chelsea are London-based (the rich area and United are from the perennially underprivileged north?

In the same way areas like the Lake District (natural heritage) and Stonehenge (cultural-historic heritage) get protection status to stop them being trashed is there not an argument for intervention with us? Off the top of my head there is a cultural/sporting capital at stake, peoples quality of life, tourism, and an economic argument too. The government should really be involved in removing these parasites for eroding all of these.
I reckon it was more to do with the ownership and the war in Ukraine. Abramovich has close ties to Putin. If they went after one American owner then it might set a precedent in their view that they have to go after others. It's just my hypothesis but I reckon unless mass protests and mass walkouts happening for every game, then they won't do anything to effect their polling.

Handsome Devil

So what is this fan forum thingy that was set up last year all about? Just something to pay lip service to the fans with? And this supreme advisory board which is drafting in Fergie and Gill. Is it just more tokenism?

clarkydaz

Sorry but I have an accounting degree. I know what I am talking about. Doesn't matter what the Glazers intentions are. Manchester United are a business essentialy. Wasting money has an effect on profit. A business being mismanaged has a negative effect eventually. Plus income is going down due to not having champions league football. Not qualifying for the champions league next season means the adidas money gets cut by a certain amount. Liverpool and also Manchester City aren't that far off value wise.
i agree the brand is being damaged, of course it is. Theyve made their money off the false idea of Manchester United which was purely Fergies legacy. They have rinsed that dry, finally turning sour a relationship of the club with a loved legend CR7. Last 10 years have been decline, embarrassment, anger, ridicule and its their version of the club.