Gold Cup 2019

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Also, Larin isn't as good as he's supposed to be. His lackadaisical attitude and lack of application prevent him from showing off his ability. I'd rather have Cavallini up front who's better than him at the moment.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Class goal. Struggling hard with their tempo though. Very sloppy and can't get a hold of the ball.

I still can't believe how Larin exploded in his mls rookie season. Didn't expect him to go pro at all.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Also, I know why he brought on Kaye, but why did Osorio come off for that? Our midfield lost all control when he got off. Honestly, I didn't really envision that myself, but I guess that's how important Osorio has now become for Canada (and Toronto FC).

Cavallini off for Morgan was the worst, though. We're behind, and I know he wanted Davies to be pushed up, but why take off our only aerial threat?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The feck happened? Figured Canada would win this comfortably and they lost.
We wilted on the occasion. We couldn't handle the press and lost control in the second half, and our passing got sloppier as time passed. Godinho made two horrible errors leading to two Haiti goals, and Davies finally got exposed at left back. Hopefully Herdman realises that we can't afford to play attacking players at full back, and I really hope that the players learn from this and grow.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Ashtone Morgan would have made the same mistake too. There is no point benching Hoilett or David so we can play Morgan just to allow Davies to push up. We'd be far worse off.

Godinho and Borjan were a joke. fecking heart breaking. Perfect send off for Atiba, let down by his teammates yet again. Even a late offside goal to really stick there knife in. At least he was offside this time I guess.

NYAS

Just came out of a movie to see that result and comeback. What the feck?

Football...

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Ashtone Morgan would have made the same mistake too. There is no point benching Hoilett or David so we can play Morgan just to allow Davies to push up. We'd be far worse off.
Morgan probably would've been worse, honestly. What really irks me, though, is the fact that we didn't take in any other Canadian left back. Akindele's and De Jong's injuries were unfortunate. Overall, it seemed like we, as a nation, had no one else to play at left back other than Ashtone Morgan.

I'm still hurt by that result and the way it turned out, but we all have to move on as a nation.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Edit:
So Jamaica just beat Panama and next up the US faces Curaçao to determine 2 of the semi finalists.
I haven’t been watching a lot of this tournament but my limited knowledge says that the US should win and face Jamaica in one of the semi finals :nervous:

Last edited:

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
So Jamaica just beat Panama and next up the US faces Curaçao to determine the finalists.
I haven’t been watching a lot of this tournament but my limited knowledge says that the US should win and face Jamaica in the final :nervous:
This is the quarters. USA Jamaica will be the semi. (Assuming USA win today, which they should, comfortably).

On a side note, Bailey is terrible for Jamaica.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
This is the quarters. USA Jamaica will be the semi. (Assuming USA win today, which they should, comfortably).

You’re right. :)
That’ll teach me to pay more attention and not rely just on the Spanish language channel where the only thing I fully understand is GOALLLLLL!!!!

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
1-0 HT.
To entertain myself I’ve been counting the number of successful forward passes the US #5 makes. I think I’ve seen just one.

dr.twinny

He isn't 100% fit but yes he's been disappointing. Had an underwhelming season with Leverkusen and it has carried on into this tournament. Still hoping he can contribute something at least in the semis.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The US men back to their usual form it seems. They have a serious lack of quality.
FT US wins 1-0, against the mighty Curaçao.

Curaçao had 6 corners to the USs 2, iirc which only says that the US struggled to control the game.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The US men back to their usual form it seems. They have a serious lack of quality.
FT US wins 1-0, against the mighty Curaçao. Curaçao had 6 corners to the USs 2, iirc.
Jesus, it seems we are still suffering from the void of quality players who should be in their mid to late 20s. It’s a shame that we still field Bradley & Altidore & have not brought through suitable replacements of higher quality.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
That project 2020 or whatever it’s called that set up an academy to grow US players hasn’t reached the heights I thought it would. Lots of false dawns through the years
The bright spot that’s noticeable is Pulisic but they need 6 or 8 more of his type in other positions to really challenge on the world stage.

NYAS

There’s also an imbalance of quality. For example you have a selection of Altidore, Zardes, Wood, Morris, Sargent, Haji Wright and Weah as forwards.

And then only Pulisic and Boyd as wingers. Julian Green has gone to shit.

The likes of Bradley, Nagbe, McKennie etc. aren’t suited to creating from deep.

There needs to be more quality in terms of chance creation but I don’t see enough in there.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
And then only Pulisic and Boyd as wingers. Julian Green has gone to shit.
There are a bunch of young wingers in MLS who have shown promise. Gianluca Busio, Chris Mueller, and Sebastian Saucedo are a few examples.
The likes of Bradley, Nagbe, McKennie etc. aren’t suited to creating from deep.
There are a bunch of good, young players who are coming up from MLS for that area. The U.S. may have already missed out on Kellyn Acosta, but they still have players like Andrew Carleton (if he can get his attitude sorted), Chris Durkin, Jackson Yueill, and FC Dallas's academy (Servania and Cerrillo for now) who can offer that. Currently, they also have Wil Trapp who's a decent deep-lying playmaker for them.
There needs to be more quality in terms of chance creation but I don’t see enough in there.
They have several young players who can offer that. Paxton Pomykal is one notable example. He's 19 years old but is already playing for FC Dallas's first team, and he's a proper modern playmaker. You also have someone like Andrew Carleton who I already mentioned who can offer that.

Overall, they have the pieces coming through their academies. They need MLS clubs and other academies to start taking player development seriously or risk losing young players to countries like Mexico.

NYAS

There are a bunch of young wingers in MLS who have shown promise. Gianluca Busio, Chris Mueller, and Sebastian Saucedo are a few examples.

There are a bunch of good, young players who are coming up from MLS for that area. The U.S. may have already missed out on Kellyn Acosta, but they still have players like Andrew Carleton (if he can get his attitude sorted), Chris Durkin, Jackson Yueill, and FC Dallas's academy (Servania and Cerrillo for now) who can offer that. Currently, they also have Wil Trapp who's a decent deep-lying playmaker for them.

They have several young players who can offer that. Paxton Pomykal is one notable example. He's 19 years old but is already playing for FC Dallas's first team, and he's a proper modern playmaker. You also have someone like Andrew Carleton who I already mentioned who can offer that.

Overall, they have the pieces coming through their academies. They need MLS clubs and other academies to start taking player development seriously or risk losing young players to countries like Mexico.
Out of those players you’ve mentioned I have only seen enough of Will Trapp so can only comment on him but he seems underwhelming every time I’ve seen him.

As long as these players aren’t integrated into the squad then it’ll be tough to tell whether they have the required quality. We’ll see.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We (Canada) really sh*t the bed vs Haiti. Up 2-0 at half and end up losing 3-2. Pretty much sums up our mens program. There needs to be some change in Canadian soccer if we are ever going to compete. We have more kids playing soccer than we do playing hockey, but kids don't stick with the beautiful game. I think we are also spending too much time scouting in the wrong areas for talent. In my region (Niagara Falls) we have had 2 kids "make it". Russell Tiebert (Vancouver White Caps) and Kofi Opare (Colorado Rapids). With that being said, I have played with both players and I can tell you for fact that there are more talented players in our region. The only difference is that these players who are more talented never played outside of their local clubs. I don't know if it's lack of ambition, or if they just don't realize how good they really are. But there are a few guys who are basically undiscovered talents who have never stepped out of their local regional leagues. Sure, it's a competitive level, but scouts are looking in the bigger leagues like the OSL and CSL. If this were hockey (our game) these guys would never go undiscovered...

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
We have more kids playing soccer than we do playing hockey, but kids don't stick with the beautiful game. I think we are also spending too much time scouting in the wrong areas for talent.
Yeah, the scouting isn't as well-developed in the country as it should be. This doesn't surprise me, though; we just aren't as interested in football as we are in ice hockey. Given the relatively small population density and the lack of popularity of the sport, we are doing very well, but we can most definitely do better.

Ontario's a hotbed for football talent, but many of them are missing out.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Yeah, the scouting isn't as well-developed in the country as it should be. This doesn't surprise me, though; we just aren't as interested in football as we are in ice hockey. Given the relatively small population density and the lack of popularity of the sport, we are doing very well, but we can most definitely do better.

Ontario's a hotbed for football talent, but many of them are missing out.
In the Niagara Region alone we have around 60 mens teams. Problem is, there are only 2 teams in the region that travel outside of Niagara in the OSL (Ontario Soccer League), and I can tell you for a fact that even though that's supposed to be the highest level of amateur play, they don't have the best players. But that's where the scouts would look to find talent. Sure, there are some good players there, however, if I took the best players from the local league and made a team, it would most likely not just beat the OSL teams, but beat them easily. But that's the funny thing about soccer in Canada. If it were hockey the best players would be playing at the highest possible level. But in soccer we tend to just play for fun...

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
In the Niagara Region alone we have around 60 mens teams. Problem is, there are only 2 teams in the region that travel outside of Niagara in the OSL (Ontario Soccer League), and I can tell you for a fact that even though that's supposed to be the highest level of amateur play, they don't have the best players. But that's where the scouts would look to find talent. Sure, there are some good players there, however, if I took the best players from the local league and made a team, it would most likely not just beat the OSL teams, but beat them easily. But that's the funny thing about soccer in Canada. If it were hockey the best players would be playing at the highest possible level. But in soccer we tend to just play for fun...
This is where I hope the 2026 World Cup helps us just like the 2015 Women's World Cup did.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
86th min 0-0 Mex/Haiti.
Surprising, to me anyway.
In the past I’ve seen Haiti get battered but they’re holding their own here.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
86th min 0-0 Mex/Haiti.
Surprising, to me anyway.
In the past I’ve seen Haiti get battered but they’re holding their own here.
Me too I am rooting for them now. Lots of heart by that team.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
What a performance from Haiti. They've been immense the whole game. The defence in particular has been outstanding, and only their poor decision-making is holding them back.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Mexico score on a peno, which looked a dodgy decision to me. Commentary is in Spanish so I’ve no idea what they talking about.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
TSN co-commentator Steven Caldwell is not convinced that it was a penalty. He mentioned that, whilst there was some contact, it wasn't enough. Personally, I'm on the fence. The Haitian defender was late in the challenge, but it was quite weak and not necessarily one to impede Jimenez.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I’ve got tickets to the final. So I’m desperate for Mexico to win. The atmosphere will be 10 times better.