Golf 2019

Carolina Red

Staff
“I’m gonna go home, game a bit, eat some McDonalds, and go out and try to do it again.”

- Harold Varner III on how he will get ready for Sunday’s final round

I like him already.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I like Koepka and think he’s the one current golfer who’ll challenge Woods’ Major totals in the long term, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he won’t get things all his own way today. A +3 round from him coupled with a -4 round from a challenger and suddenly we have a whole new ball game. A couple of early bogeys will make things very interesting, which is what I guess we all want, right?

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I like Koepka and think he’s the one current golfer who’ll challenge Woods’ Major totals in the long term, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he won’t get things all his own way today. A +3 round from him coupled with a -4 round from a challenger and suddenly we have a whole new ball game. A couple of early bogeys will make things very interesting, which is what I guess we all want, right?
I think Koepka can seriously challenge Tiger’s major totals. Besides his obvious physical gifts, his makeup and demeanor is impressive. The fact he’s got more major victories than regular tour wins says something. Then again, I thought the same thing about Jordan Spieth back a couple years ago.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
“I’m gonna go home, game a bit, eat some McDonalds, and go out and try to do it again.”

- Harold Varner III on how he will get ready for Sunday’s final round

I like him already.
Interesting, never seen a professional golfer wearing Jordan’s jumpman logo.

Ainu

Just saw Fleetwood at +7. He was -6 at one point during the second round and just 4 shots back from Koepka. Brutal!

Carolina Red

Staff
Koepka faltered, but the lead he’d built would have required a total meltdown to lose on a course that tough.

Dude is a bonefide star now.

Bummed out by what happened to Varner III though. He seems a likeable guy, and I didn’t realize it, but he’s from a town just across the state line in NC.

Last edited:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Difficult day: Average round looks like +3.5 or something. Glad to see Koepka's human, pleased he won too - that was big pressure on a difficult course in nasty conditions and playing with a partner who was suffering massively. Props also to DJ for making it close.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He would have been too far back even if he squeezed under the cut line. He would have needed to be within seven back starting Saturday, at most, to have been able to even scare Koepka.

Ainu

It would've been something if DJ had taken it. Koepka though, 4 majors in 8 appearances, that's absolutely mental. Can he keep this going? He'll be racing to double figures at this rate. We said the same about McIlroy and Spieth once so it's hard to predict, but I wouldn't bet against him right now.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
It would've been something if DJ had taken it. Koepka though, 4 majors in 8 appearances, that's absolutely mental. Can he keep this going? He'll be racing to double figures at this rate. We said the same about McIlroy and Spieth once so it's hard to predict, but I wouldn't bet against him right now.
How's his form when somebody is alongside him in a major?

What you note from Augusta is that the current gen couldnt cope with competing against the Tiger factor... When Tiger turned the wick up, nearly all of them lost it.

What I dont get from Koepka is that he has that ability to pull something magical from nothing. He's probably a more clinical golfer than Tiger ever was which puts him in dominating positions, but I haven't really seen that little bit of magic. I think Rory has it, but he's been nowhere in the last few majors.

Carolina Red

Staff
How's his form when somebody is alongside him in a major?

What you note from Augusta is that the current gen couldnt cope with competing against the Tiger factor... When Tiger turned the wick up, nearly all of them lost it.

What I dont get from Koepka is that he has that ability to pull something magical from nothing. He's probably a more clinical golfer than Tiger ever was which puts him in dominating positions, but I haven't really seen that little bit of magic. I think Rory has it, but he's been nowhere in the last few majors.
2017 US Open, Koepka went from 4th to 1st to 2nd to 1st over the 4 rounds. He started Sunday 1 stroke back of the leader.

2018 PGA he went from outside the top 5 to 3rd to 1st and 1st, fending off a 64 by Tiger with a 66 of his own, after shooting a 63 to get into 3rd.

Ainu

Per Golf Magazine, Brooks Koepka is a Manchester United fan.
I like him a lot more already! He did spend a couple of years playing on the Challenge Tour and European Tour, starting in the summer of 2012, so I'd like to imagine he discovered proper football by watching Fergie's final title season.

Ainu

If anyone else is watching the Canadian Open, we're seeing a frankly ridiculous level of golf by McIlroy at the moment. He's -9 through 14 holes and leading by a bazillion shots. I don't think I've ever seen anyone play better than this.

Dyslexic Untied

If anyone else is watching the Canadian Open, we're seeing a frankly ridiculous level of golf by McIlroy at the moment. He's -9 through 14 holes and leading by a bazillion shots. I don't think I've ever seen anyone play better than this.
I watched it. Ridiculous high level of golf. Hope he brings next week too.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
U.S Open at Pebble Beach. Doesn't get much better than that. Guys who hit really far can only really take driver 4-5 times unless they're being dumb so it brings a lot of players into contention. Sets up great for the best iron players as the greens are tiny and angles are going to be key.

Ainu

Pretty much all of the pre-tournament favourites are in decent-to-good shape here, still impossible to call.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Spieth moaning at his caddy :lol: he is a proper spoiled brat. You're the pro, you pick your own club, while you're at it, carry ya own clubs too.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Seriously. How are you a pro golfer and can’t make a club/distance judgement
Exactly. I struggle on the course but my eyesight is terrible and I'm shit at golf. That and the fact I can hit a 7 iron anywhere between 5 yards and 150 yards so choosing a club isn't really a thing for me.

Reckon if I done it day in and day out I'd be able to pick the right club for the job.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Seriously. How are you a pro golfer and can’t make a club/distance judgement
There's a big difference between us and them mate. Us mere mortals are lucky to pick a target and get it within 20 yards of it :lol:

The boys can take a shot 140-180 yards out from the pin and intentionally land the bastard within a yard. Which means there's a huge amount that can very the success of those shots which we cant comprehend. Having the caddy there means its one less thing for the golfer to have to think about. It's also a second opinion on shot choice.

Carolina Red

Staff
There's a big difference between us and them mate. Us mere mortals are lucky to pick a target and get it within 20 yards of it :lol:

The boys can take a shot 140-180 yards out from the pin and intentionally land the bastard within a yard. Which means there's a huge amount that can very the success of those shots which we cant comprehend. Having the caddy there means its one less thing for the golfer to have to think about. It's also a second opinion on shot choice.
You think I don’t know this?

He missed the green, man. A pro golfer should be able to hit the green on his own club selection.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
You think I don’t know this?

He missed the green, man. A pro golfer should be able to hit the green on his own club selection.
And you think he can’t? This whole Spieth thing is getting blown way out of proportion. Happens to every golfer on tour.