Got away with it tonight

Bearded but no genius

Also , I got the impression that some people expected that at this stage and against such teams, we would get the "walkover" we got against Fulham last Saturday.
We kept trying to explain to them that nothing is a walkover in Europe, hence why we've only won the thing 3 times ever.

It is pathetic and annoying how some 'fans' right now think we have the right to cruise 6-0 past every team on the planet and get bitchy when it turns out that we're not perfect and other teams are quite good.

dev1l

We kept trying to explain to them that nothing is a walkover in Europe, hence why we've only won the thing 3 times ever.

It is pathetic and annoying how some 'fans' right now think we have the right to cruise 6-0 past every team on the planet and get bitchy when it turns out that we're not perfect and other teams are quite good.
Exactly. Let's not also forget yesterday's opponents..Inter Milan who are one of the top teams in Europe. Though, one might say the same for that pub team dressed in Real Madrid shirts :lol:,

MUFCgal

Would you all have taken us playing ordinary but winning 2-0 before the match kicked off,I bet you would.Look on the bright side it means we wont be complacent for Saturday,a wee kick up the arse is required now and again
My thoughts exactly. I'm sure SAF will make sure we aren't as sloppy against Liverpool on Saturday. I thought we were the better team over the two legs, but our performance last night wasn't as good as in Milan, still we did enough. We could have easily had 4 or 5 goals last night but it just wasn't to be. After our goal in the first half, we got really sloppy and gave the ball away quite a few times but we pulled it together and were much better in the second half, I'm anxious now to see who we get in the QF's :D

manusteve

I don't feel that in the Champs League that Carrick and Scholes is the right centre midfield pairing, regardless of whether we are chasing goals or not.
I would prefer Fletcher to partner Carrick, and I even think Giggs in the centre gives United some semblance of midfield control that is not there when Scholes plays with Carrick.
It's irrelevant that Scholes has such a high pass percentage, because when he plays he starts deep, which is something that Carrick is best at now. And when the ball breaks down further upfield, Scholes isn't best at covering.
And as for Berbatov, he is supposed to provide that magic to break down defences, but I thought he was a passenger last night. We should forget about discussing Tevez's potential transfer fee and instead ask if he and Rooney upfront is more effective in Europe than Rooney & Berbatov (for hassling defences AND providing more interchange up front with Rooney and Ronaldo).
I don't feel Berbatov provides ENOUGH moments to counter the fact that he drops way too deep and refuses to run for balls played JUST in front of him.
PS These are thoughts on players for the Champs League, rather than having a go at Scholes and Berbatov.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Feel for Tevez. He has given his all in the games he's played. And yet, he does not get a chance. As someone said earlier, wont blame him if he leaves.
Only 11 players can start a game.

Tevez does give his all in the games he plays. As expected, and as ALL United players do, including players like Fletcher and Park.

Legend16

this thread is not that black and white jas. some of us believe that we were the rightful winners. that we always seemed to have enough to beat inter. and I for one am delighted with the result. specially against a very tricky opponent. but it is also fair to say that with inter hitting the woodwork a few times that we were a bit fortunate one of them didnt go in an make it a really edgy night. I felt we were below par last night and there are a number of reasons for that. nerves with so much at stake could be one. inter stepping up and having a go coupled with ibrahimovich playing well. for whatever reason it was a great result but not a great performance. the great thing is that while playing below what we're capable of we had more than enough for inter. but I dont think its unreasonable to celebrate the result while observing that we could have played better. there was one person on here last night agreeing with exactly those sentiments while having a go at me for saying them. dont know what that was about

Legend16

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure SAF will make sure we aren't as sloppy against Liverpool on Saturday. I thought we were the better team over the two legs, but our performance last night wasn't as good as in Milan, still we did enough. We could have easily had 4 or 5 goals last night but it just wasn't to be. After our goal in the first half, we got really sloppy and gave the ball away quite a few times but we pulled it together and were much better in the second half, I'm anxious now to see who we get in the QF's :D
agreed entirely

B Cantona

Desperate
We were far the better team the first half in Milan. It was more even second half. We started great yesterday, then got sloppy and they had the best of it the 20 odd minutes to half time. Then we scored early again, and they pretty much gave up the ghost

It'd be surprising if the dominant force of Italian football didn't have periods where they were on top. That they had so few, and much of that was down to our uncharacteristically sloppy play, says a lot about how the tie went down. Personally thinking back over the matches, the best missed chances went to us, not them

Denis' cuff

yep - all's well that ends well but against a sharper team we'd've struggled

Vidic is a feckin diamond - how did we pick him up for 7m?

redevil2

I didn't see enough of the game to rate any players, but youre the 1st person I've heard that said he didn't have a shocker
If you havent seen enough of the game, why can't you shut up and not bashing without full details??

Yes but on a really important night, where a player was required to step forward and be counted, Scholes didn't produce. Only natural for people to be annoyed, seeing as he's dependable
FFS, we've won, and he's part of the team. Not producing my arse! Fans like you are spoiled rotten, I sometimes wonder if you know what playing football and playing sports in general is all about. Can you name one player on this planet who can perform at their top and 100% in every game? Scholes passing is always subliminal and one or two mispasses (not necessarily his fault at times) do not deserve your bashing!

redevil2

Posters on here have repeated so emphatically about we being lucky last night, it's really tiresome.... Was it really just luck after all over two legs? Our first leg at San Siro has been so frustrating as we played so fluent and so dominating, yet we ended up 0-0, yet we weren't at our best last night and won 2-0, but this is football. It evens out.

They hit the woodwork, and did not score... end of. It is not because of our luck they hit the woodwork. It's because they have shit striker in Ibrahimovic and our efforts to shut them from scoring over the two legs. Give our players some credit.

At the end of the day, good performance do not guarantee result and vice versa. People really need to understand that! We always need luck in football, but to say they hit the woodwork hence we were lucky is total rubbish! We deserve to win overall, even not with our best performance, end of.

Legend16

Posters on here have repeated so emphatically about we being lucky last night, it's really tiresome.... Was it really just luck after all over two legs? Our first leg at San Siro has been so frustrating as we played so fluent and so dominating, yet we ended up 0-0, yet we weren't at our best last night and won 2-0, but this is football. It evens out.

They hit the woodwork, and did not score... end of. It is not because of our luck they hit the woodwork. It's because they have shit striker in Ibrahimovic and our efforts to shut them from scoring over the two legs. Give our players some credit.

At the end of the day, good performance do not guarantee result and vice versa. People really need to understand that! We always need luck in football, but to say they hit the woodwork hence we were lucky is total rubbish! We deserve to win overall, even not with our best performance, end of.
who exactly are you trying to argue with. seriously this is getting tiresome. no we did not win because of luck. we were far the better team over 2 legs. we deserved the result. but we did not play well and were lucky inter did not score. if they had we would probably have had a very difficult night. so given the fact that everyone on here thinks we deserve the result. everyone on here thinks we were the better team. but that we did not play as well as we can. just who the feck exactly are you finding such issue with? we are all saying the same thing. is english your first language?

but one thing. ibrahimovich is not a shit striker. he held the ball up and linked play brilliantly for them. he actually looked the real deal last night and came close a couple of times.

OneUnited24

People have to chill i know we are looking unstoppable now and to keep our selves sane we avoid talking about how good we are and focus on the poorer sides of our game so we have something other than "we're a great team" to talk about but we really have to give it a rest.

Yesterday we were below our best, Scholes had a 20 minute spell where he was giving the ball away and Berba looked as tho he wasnt playing but i have to ask considering all these factors shouldnt we be praising a team that had a playmaker who went walk about and effectivily 10 men on the pitch for beating a good Inter Milan side? We played below our best and that was all, most of the players did well and if people actually looked at Berbas contribution you can see he was linking up play and got into good positions throughout the game.

Legend16

Real deals aren't what they used to be then

Thought he was really poor again personally. And he missed their best chance
fair enough. I thought he was up against great defenders and continued to show for the ball. his movement caused problems all night til inter gave up. and when the ball was played up to him it stuck. thought he was good last night