Television Gotham - TV series

Heardy

Have to admit i'd not heard of this before today, but looks like it might be worth a watch.

Will be interesting to see how it compares to Marvel's SHIELD TV spin off.

EDIT - just noticed the trailer got posted in the "recommend me a tv show" thread.

Still might be worth a thread of it's own. Does anyone know if this will focus primarily on Jim Gordon rather than the origins of batman/individual villains? Or do you think we'll get episodes on each as they're intertwined?

Minkaro

I'll give it a go, definitely. Not sure if it was intentional, but Brett McKenzie does actually look a bit like I'd imagine a young Gary Oldman might look (if I hadn't actually already seen how a young Gary Oldman looked, I mean).

Cedric

Back in the newbies for reeducation
This batman tv series?

Please no... they'll gonna milk it and drag it for so long, plus... i bet they'll gonna start very early (the boring phase) of young wayne and stuff.
They seem to focus on Gordon and the trailer looks interesting enough, I'm looking forward to it and just hope they don't feck it up.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
They seem to focus on Gordon and the trailer looks interesting enough, I'm looking forward to it and just hope they don't feck it up.
That's weird, you can't have a batman series and not focusing on batman.

Gordon's an interesting character specially with Oldman playing him, but he's still tied to Batman in every sense of storytelling. It'll be weird if the Batman is the backstory

Heardy

That's weird, you can't have a batman series and not focusing on batman.

Gordon's an interesting character specially with Oldman playing him, but he's still tied to Batman in every sense of storytelling. It'll be weird if the Batman is the backstory
I guess it's Gotham at a time when Bruce Wayne was only Bruce Wayne rather than Batman. It's an origins story, and may even begin in advance of Bruce Wayne's parents being killed.

I think it looks interesting, and although I've not read many of the comics, there must be a significant backstory to how Bruce Wayne coped with the death of his parents and the development into the Dark Knight.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I guess it's Gotham at a time when Bruce Wayne was only Bruce Wayne rather than Batman. It's an origins story, and may even begin in advance of Bruce Wayne's parents being killed.

I think it looks interesting, and although I've not read many of the comics, there must be a significant backstory to how Bruce Wayne coped with the death of his parents and the development into the Dark Knight.
Oh if given the chance, I'd rather they erase batman and watch about a commissioner Gordon in fighting Gotham's crime boss, i'm sure it makes more of a series with Gotham being the hive of many crimelord. But there have to come to a point where eventually batman will pop up, and you can't split the movie between Batman and Gordon half way.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
The focus should've been kept on the GCPD instead of introducing a ton of familiar characters at the very instance.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Isn't it focus on Gordon finding the Waynes' killer? I also think they introduce the origins of all of Batman's villains too like the Penguin and Poison Ivy. I'm certainly going to watch it.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Looks really good, actually. I'm surprised.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
It looks far less cheesy and more sinister than Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which is why the Batman series will always be superior to the Avengers series. Hopefully they don't overdo characters and some storylines, but I won't be shocked if they do.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Interested in watching this. Didn't think you can have a Gotham series without a focus on Batman, but this looks decent.

Ekeke

I definitely think you can have a focus on Gotham itself rather than Batman. A lot of DC characters have wandered through over the years. Due to the timeline and a young Bruce it does really limit the characters that will be used. I wont take this Jim Gordon seriously though until he grows a mustache

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Really hope the don't put that Harley Quinn in it. I can't stand those bollocks named characters like Scott Free the escape artist,
What's next? Yo ghurt the healthy rap man?

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Really hope the don't put that Harley Quinn in it. I can't stand those bollocks named characters like Scott Free the escape artist,
What's next? Yo ghurt the healthy rap man?
I bet 'Superman' really gets on your tits.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
No problem with him. Clark Kent isn't a shit pun. Now, if his name was I.M. Strong it would be another matter.

LARulz

Nope, was it good?
It was average, and as @Red Shorts says, it's not mind blowing but watchable. The idea of the show made me think this was destined for failure and incredibly stupid. However, I've always like Batman villains so I felt I had to see what they do. I honestly feel this'll get cancelled at the end of this season or next cos they'll go stupid as they'll want to throw too much in. The best way for a show like this to survive in my opinion would be to finish after a few seasons, and have a set ending. If they have no idea where they are going then it'll die a slow death. Also the actor who plays Gordon I'm not a fan of, so like most shows, I'll support the villains even though we know they get nowhere.

The show also being on a main network is really crap cos it limits what they can do and show.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I watched it last night. Usually not my cup of tea but it wasn't bad. I thought the penguin character was good. I'd watch it again but I agree it would be better on a cable network

Keenst

I thought it was a bit shit. Didn't like one character, that guy from the OC is terrible as a lead I think; no charisma. Won't be watching again.

Lastwolf

Pilots are always a bit ropey, they try to cram all the story into an hour to set up the premise, I'm more forgiving of pilots than the rest of the first few episodes, I understand why they did it but I feel starting with the Wayne murders was a mistake, I'd have left it to the mid season finale (maybe season finale if it didn't feel like it dragged on).

I don't know if it's just the fact that I've seen that particular couple die like a hundred different times or the general apathy of watching tv show characters that are only in their death scene, die. I mean if this was your average procedural cop show, I wouldn't even remember those peoples name after that episode is over. I feel like you have to get to know a character to give a shit when they die, they seem to be going for the recent cannon that the Waynes are killed to send a message or were cleaning up the city too much, rather than a random street mugging gone wrong, so show it, even if it's just in 2 or 3 scenes it'll be better than nothing. Get Gordon and Thomas to be pals or strike up some rapport as their paths cross, you can grow an attachment to a character that you know is fated to doom if you don't jerk the audience around over long period of time. Sure, you'll never get the shock value that say, game of thrones will get you but it'll have greater weight than victim of the week that they were.

I think the only ones that nailed it and seemed comfortable in their role was young Bruce (watch the bit where he says 'I'm glad he's not dead') and maybe Oswalt but he was just chewing the scenery for 80% of the time so not as impressive, I might watch it again to get a more measured look at it.

I liked it though, considering I usually hate time travel or prequels that's pretty good in my books.

Donut

I thought it was quite shit.

Dialogue was all over the place, and some ridiculous nonsensible stuff, like:

- "we killed an innocent man" ... (??? he just emptied a gun on you, and then almost killed you).

- asking young Bruce for permission scene

- Penguin grabing that sandwich :lol:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Erm... I think I'm going to skip this for now then...

mu4c_20le

Went in with zero expectations and enjoyed it. It's got that noir comic book feel so it doesn't really take itself seriously, even though most of the scenes seemed pretty serious. I particularly love the dialogue.

- Ok you be that way brother.. just trying to be collegial here.

- you know I almost gave it to you. But you couldn't help yourself could you? You had to go and be disrespectful.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Also, that has got to be the hottest Barbara I have ever seen in my life, considering the ones I usually see have an average age of 80.

Drifter

American
Who put the necklace back together ,And was that the Mr J in the nightclub . I don't know if i want to find out .Pretty poor pilot.

mu4c_20le

Who put the necklace back together ,And was that the Mr J in the nightclub . I don't know if i want to find out .Pretty poor pilot.
I'm pretty sure the necklace was a fake and used to frame the abusive guy (forgot his name) so the cops would kill him and close the case.

reelworld

The pilot was a pile of wank.

I thought it was a bad idea to reference so many Batman villains into the pilot. We already got Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Penguin, Joker and Riddler, with only one actually matter to the story is only Penguin. Awful acting and dialogue from almost every one in the cast. I think only Donal Logue, the guy who played Bullock was pretty good.
I feel like you have to get to know a character to give a shit when they die, they seem to be going for the recent cannon that the Waynes are killed to send a message or were cleaning up the city too much, rather than a random street mugging gone wrong, so show it, even if it's just in 2 or 3 scenes it'll be better than nothing. Get Gordon and Thomas to be pals or strike up some rapport as their paths cross, you can grow an attachment to a character that you know is fated to doom if you don't jerk the audience around over long period of time. Sure, you'll never get the shock value that say, game of thrones will get you but it'll have greater weight than victim of the week that they were.
I agree with this, that would be much better. I think it would also serve as a better motivation for Gordon to close the case if he has any personal connection to Bruce parents.
It feels that the writers lack the imagination and creativity to create a good story for Gordon so they resort to adding these villains even though there are no Batman yet in this universe. Penguin should be the only villain that feature in this series, with Falcone in the background.