Television Gotham - TV series

Adebesi

Right... So young Catwoman is living with young Bruce Wayne.
It just seems so contrived to try and shoehorn character together
I think I will stop watching
I agree with this criticism but in another way I kind of like it. It does feel contrived, the fact that all these characters have history going back to childhood. But it would also seem a waste to not explore characters other than Bruce, I can see why they've done it. Frankly I'm prepared to go along with it as long as its a decent show otherwise, and so far I'm still liking it, though I'm a few episodes behind at the moment.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Can't believe people on the CAF prefer Flash to this show
really?

Im up to date with Gotham and its been a pretty good ride so far. Solid show.

The last episode was awesome. Don Maroni with a top notch performance.

edit. havent seen Flash, doesnt look so good.

SqueakyWeasel

I'm really enjoying this show. Found it and watched all the available episodes one after another over Xmas and couldn't wait for the next ones to get posted on-line in January! Really like the characters, some are a bit obvious but as back-stories go telling it from Gordon's angle was a great idea. The producers must reckon it's got some legs starting Bruce so young. Like the way they've made NY look grim and grisly for Gotham.

Only just started watching Arrow from episode 1 the other day so once I've got the first series out the way I'll compare.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Watched the first two episodes of this and didn't like it at all. Like others have said, penguin is the only decent character.

Can someone please point me in the direction of a tv show that is of similar quality to Sopranos/The Wire/Breaking Bad? I'm trying to get hooked on a new show but everything I'm watching seems to be shit.

Adebesi

Watched the first two episodes of this and didn't like it at all. Like others have said, penguin is the only decent character.

Can someone please point me in the direction of a tv show that is of similar quality to Sopranos/The Wire/Breaking Bad? I'm trying to get hooked on a new show but everything I'm watching seems to be shit.
There's a thread about TV show recommendations that's a goldmine. One that isn't talked about much there is Lilyhammer. I mention it cause it's got Silvio and Paulie out of Sopranos in it, though the latter is a minor character. Silvio is basically the same character in it. It's a bit more comic than the shows you mentioned. And a lot of it is Norwegian with subtitles. But I enjoyed it a lot. 3 series so far tho only 8 per series.

Just look through all the shows in the HBO stable on imdb and see which ones jump out at you, there's loads of great ones. That's where I would start if you haven't already done them.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
There's a thread about TV show recommendations that's a goldmine. One that isn't talked about much there is Lilyhammer. I mention it cause it's got Silvio and Paulie out of Sopranos in it, though the latter is a minor character. Silvio is basically the same character in it. It's a bit more comic than the shows you mentioned. And a lot of it is Norwegian with subtitles. But I enjoyed it a lot. 3 series so far tho only 8 per series.

Just look through all the shows in the HBO stable on imdb and see which ones jump out at you, there's loads of great ones. That's where I would start if you haven't already done them.
Yeah, I've just went through imdb and decided I'm going to go for 'The killing' next. Just don't know if I should go for the Danish original series (forbrydelsen) or the American remake.

Cheers.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Forbrydelsen is class. Haven't seen the US one. But surely you've got to go Danish.
Yeah, didn't want to read subs but the original is probably much better anyway, so I'll go with that.

I'll let you know what I think of it in the next few days, thanks for the help!

Loublaze

ATLien

Well have you seen Boardwalk Empire or Magic City? You should. BE is already a classic. You might also like Sons of Anarchy (not same class but enjoyable) and Dexter. Dexter is really good up until the final season

Loublaze

ATLien
really?

Im up to date with Gotham and its been a pretty good ride so far. Solid show.

The last episode was awesome. Don Maroni with a top notch performance.

edit. havent seen Flash, doesnt look so good.
Flash looks like a teeny bopper show. Arrow somewhat is as well but its very watchable

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
@Vato The only good excuse for not watching highly rated subbed shit is if you're hungover and/or want to watch something easy. The Killing would be a rubbish thing to watch in either of those circumstances anyway, whatever the language, so you might as well man up and read.

I'd agree that Lilyhammer is good. It's light, slow quirky character stuff, but very likeable.

I've just finished Transparent, which is also light, slow, likeable quirky character fare. I was really impressed with it until the finale, where they promptly jetisoned all these things and plumped for trashy soap instead for some reason, but it's still pretty decent. The brother is also the actual brother of Pete from the League (another good show in an Always Sunny-lite vein) who're the writing partnership behind a lot of light, slow, quirky character films of okayish quality (Jeff, Who Lives at Home, Cyrus etc)

I'm also working my way through the Amazon pilots. The Man in high Castle is fantastically made, if somewhat a little cold, and the US remake of Mad Dogs was pretty much exactly the same as the UK one, only with Billy Zane playing the Ben Chaplin role better, Ben Chaplin playing the Phillip Glenister role worse, and Tony Blair played by a cat (that'll make sense to people who've seen it, trust me)

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Well have you seen Boardwalk Empire or Magic City? You should. BE is already a classic. You might also like Sons of Anarchy (not same class but enjoyable) and Dexter. Dexter is really good up until the final season
Some good shouts! I really like the look of Magic city but just read they are canceling the show, which everyone that seems to have watched the first season, finds a big shame.

I intended to start Sons of anarchy but completely forgot about it for some reason. Might start with this after the killing.

As for Boardwalk Empire, it was on my list too but I was under the impression that the show was still not finished and I don't want to have to wait a week for a new episode to air every time. So I prefer to wait for it to be wrapped up.

Loublaze

ATLien
Some good shouts! I really like the look of Magic city but just read they are canceling the show, which everyone that seems to have watched the first season, finds a big shame.

I intended to start Sons of anarchy but completely forgot about it for some reason. Might start with this after the killing.

As for Boardwalk Empire, it was on my list too but I was under the impression that the show was still not finished and I don't want to have to wait a week for a new episode to air every time. So I prefer to wait for it to be wrapped up.
Are you still in 2014? Both Magic city and BE are over :lol:. Have you seen House of cards with Kevin Spacey? If you like it then i'd also recommend 'Boss' with Kelsey Grammar. Marco Polo is an epic 10 episode (first season) show that you might enjoy, the production values are of the highest order. The Killing is good, finish that. Then maybe you can add 'Hannibal' (tv show) to your list. Its brilliantly scripted and acted, and also uses a lot of catchy symbolism to tell the story.

Adebesi

If you're quite particular about the shows you watch and think a lot of stuff is rubbish, as you said about Gotham, I suspect you'll not like SoA. Check out the thread for it. Everyone slates it, rubbish acting, crass dialogue, unlikely plots. Me, I enjoyed it. But I'm not that fussy about TV shows really, a bit of shit acting or a far fetched storyline doesn't put me off at all. Hence I'm also enjoying Gotham.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
If you're quite particular about the shows you watch and think a lot of stuff is rubbish, as you said about Gotham, I suspect you'll not like SoA. Check out the thread for it. Everyone slates it, rubbish acting, crass dialogue, unlikely plots. Me, I enjoyed it. But I'm not that fussy about TV shows really, a bit of shit acting or a far fetched storyline doesn't put me off at all. Hence I'm also enjoying Gotham.
Don't tell me it's worse than Gotham though, cos it'll go off my list in a flash. I'm really not that fussy either when it comes to films but there's so many quality tv shows around that it makes watching series like Gotham like a waste of time.

Adebesi

Don't tell me it's worse than Gotham though, cos it'll go off my list in a flash. I'm really not that fussy either when it comes to films but there's so many quality tv shows around that it makes watching series like Gotham like a waste of time.
I'd say it's better than Gotham but yeah, I like both.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Hannibal!

Loublaze

ATLien
The acting on Gotham is better than SoA. Keep it on your list and just try the first episode. Funny enough, one of the lead characters in Gotham, Donol Logue, also had a guest appearance in SoA and in the popular History channel show Vikings. He's a good actor

JP77

Still going well.

I've been convinced for a while now that Selina is Fish's daughter, might be way off the mark considering Selina's relation to Falcone in the Catwoman book/series.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Fantastic introduction of the Joker. The actor seriously has the natural smile of the character, and switched that alternate persona on fantastically.

This show has really exceeded my expectations. Even the characters I didn't like at first have grown on me.

Oh, and Barbara? :drool:

Andy_Cole

I'm hearing things like that may not actually be Joker? The writer has said it may not be him? The Joker becomes joker because of a poisonous gas, which this kid may have been poisoned with. As with the real joker. I dunno. Just speculating.

Also that arguing circus couple are Robin's mum and dad haha.

Woodzy

I've kinda skipped from episode 8 right to the latest episode. I feel like I haven't really missed anything important anyway?

Mark_GrumpyLion

I'm hearing things like that may not actually be Joker? The writer has said it may not be him? The Joker becomes joker because of a poisonous gas, which this kid may have been poisoned with. As with the real joker. I dunno. Just speculating.

Also that arguing circus couple are Robin's mum and dad haha.
The thing is, Joker's origin story has never been confirmed. There are multiple different ones from multiple different storylines. It's part of the characters appeal that it's never been formally acknowledged what drove him over the edge. He states it himself too in The Killing Joke. A lot of fans see that story as his most probable origin.

MajorTom

Been binging on this the past couple of nights, think it is really good so far. Currently up to episode 10 and it just keeps getting better. They've done a great job with character development and storyline, only thing that annoyed me a little was the scenario in the GCPD in episode 7, that was a little far fetched. Is this whole series going to continue with the young Bruce or will it eventually evolve to adult Bruce?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Been binging on this the past couple of nights, think it is really good so far. Currently up to episode 10 and it just keeps getting better. They've done a great job with character development and storyline, only thing that annoyed me a little was the scenario in the GCPD in episode 7, that was a little far fetched. Is this whole series going to continue with the young Bruce or will it eventually evolve to adult Bruce?
I hope Bruce grows up into at least a young-adult Bruce, because I'm not sure how much longer I can stick with this "super detective" 13 year old much longer.

MajorTom

I hope Bruce grows up into at least a young-adult Bruce, because I'm not sure how much longer I can stick with this "super detective" 13 year old much longer.
Yeah, I'd like it to age a little too in regards of Bruce, wouldn't mind if it did actually continue with this version of Bruce if they did stick to that premise. Also, Alfred is great, some of his little phrases are proper English commoner but still carries the dignity of a refined chap. Who's your favourite character?