Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

Tyrion

Imo he’s doing it because he doesn’t watch our games. I bet you any money he follows results but he isn’t sitting at home watching 3/4 games a day.
it’s an outdated viewpoint from a casual viewer
He definitely doesn't watch any games from outside the Premier league. When you listen to him talk about other leagues, he's incredibly dismissive. He mentioned how the new Brighton manager had never managed in "our game" and seems to question almost every foreign player who comes in without PL experience.

Martinez doing well in the CL is irrelevant to him because its not "our game" and he thinks European football is a load of 5'3 wimps.

Revaulx

We are also talking about players. Not just being manager. And as a player, he was brilliant. That is why his opinion gives me more than someone who never been a player. Even if I listen to them aswell.
It’s the fact that he has no idea how brilliant he was as a player that completely invalidates his opinions.

He was a hard nut, but was also immensely skilful and had a tremendous gift for always being in the right place at the right time. Once he’d become a manager the only one of these qualities he rated was the first; hence his getting rid of quality players at Liverpool like Beardsley and Houghton and replacing them with a load of cloggers.

His success at Rangers was the result of having a fortune to spend on top English players at a time when Scottish football was beginning its decline.

Tyrion

It’s the fact that he has no idea how brilliant he was as a player that completely invalidates his opinions.

He was a hard nut, but was also immensely skilful and had a tremendous gift for always being in the right place at the right time. Once he’d become a manager the only one of these qualities he rated was the first; hence his getting rid of quality players at Liverpool like Beardsley and Houghton and replacing them with a load of cloggers.
Sounds a lot like Roy Keane.

Malone_Post

I can accept him still struggling to believe that a 5’9 centre back can work in the PL. Its so ingrained into his beliefs about the British game that him taking time to come round to the idea that it can actually work is somewhat understandable. It goes against everything he believes in and effectively destroys his view of British football. That’s a hard thing to admit, especially for someone of his age and stubbornness.

But to say that Martinez isn’t that good on the ball is such a laughably bad opinion that it completely undermines any other arguments he’s making. It’s very clear that he’s simply not watched him at all. You just can’t take someone who’s opinion is so wide of the mark seriously.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Can't believe someone would spend their life in impotency hating on football players that are actually decent/good players.
He should retire and live happily somewhere. Instead he's trying to get higher blood pressure.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Whatever this guy says is irrelevant. He just hates us and hates our players. Martinez has been one of the best defenders in the league this season by a mile… I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t make the premier league 11 at the end of the season and win player awards.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I can accept him still struggling to believe that a 5’9 centre back can work in the PL. Its so ingrained into his beliefs about the British game that him taking time to come round to the idea that it can actually work is somewhat understandable. It goes against everything he believes in and effectively destroys his view of British football. That’s a hard thing to admit, especially for someone of his age and stubbornness.

But to say that Martinez isn’t that good on the ball is such a laughably bad opinion that it completely undermines any other arguments he’s making. It’s very clear that he’s simply not watched him at all. You just can’t take someone who’s opinion is so wide of the mark seriously.
It's rare to see a 5'9 centreback anywhere, it's not something that every other country has other than the UK, which by the way, Martinez is not even our first centre back to be under 6'0. We had one player in the 80s, and even Nobby Stiles played there (when it was still the old full back position).

90 + 5min

So you agree with Souness when he says that Martinez is poor on the ball?
If you read what I’ve wrote you’ll notice that I wrote that in my opinion he is wrong about Martinez because he has been brilliant for us, except game against Brentford. One of best PL signings this year. When it comes to Casimero I understand what he means.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Oh definitely. Maybe with a bit of Carrick’s tempo control thrown in.
Keane was an absolute master of controlling the tempo of games. It was his biggest strength. Unless you mean Souness was nowhere near as good as Keane in this regard and closer to Carrick?

Revaulx

Keane was an absolute master of controlling the tempo of games. It was his biggest strength. Unless you mean Souness was nowhere near as good as Keane in this regard and closer to Carrick?
No not at all. He wasn't quite such a box-to-box player as Keane. Carrick was probably a bad analogy; maybe Xabi Alonso with Keane's aggression would have been better.

I certainly don't regard Souness as a better player than Keane. And aside from an occasional tendency to talk bollocks, the latter appears to be much the pleasanter character.

cyberman

His success at Rangers was the result of having a fortune to spend on top English players at a time when Scottish football was beginning its decline.
It’s a different game today from 15 years ago never mind Souness era. This man chastises midfielders for not running ahead of the ball and making runs behind as if that isn’t the single, most stupid thing to do in the modern game.
He was left behind 4 eras of football ago. He has no idea what he’s talking about and his type wouldnt be considered top players in the modern era. Different profile, different attributes needed today and Souness hasn’t got the eye for it

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
If you read what I’ve wrote you’ll notice that I wrote that in my opinion he is wrong about Martinez because he has been brilliant for us, except game against Brentford. One of best PL signings this year. When it comes to Casimero I understand what he means.
He's wrong about everything concerning us. His opinion on things related to Utd is worthless, and him having been a good player decades ago doesn't change that.

Strootman's Finger

I hate uttering words like this, but it's so appropriate in this case, How in 2022 does such an obvious xenophobe have such a prominent role on such a major network?

Maguire over Martinez, what an absolute clown.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I hate uttering words like this, but it's so appropriate in this case, How in 2022 does such an obvious xenophobe have such a prominent role on such a major network?

Maguire over Martinez, what an absolute clown.
How is he xenophobic? People keep accusing him of this, yet there is no evidence. There's more evidence of Souness being the opposite, like when he threatened opposition players in his playing days being racist to his teammates.

He's a scouser attacking United players, it's that simple.

Spoony

The People's President
How is he xenophobic? People keep accusing him of this, yet there is no evidence. There's more evidence of Souness being the opposite, like when he threatened opposition players in his playing days being racist to his teammates.

. He's not a Scouser.

Revaulx

It’s a different game today from 15 years ago never mind Souness era. This man chastises midfielders for not running ahead of the ball and making runs behind as if that isn’t the single, most stupid thing to do in the modern game.
He was left behind 4 eras of football ago. He has no idea what he’s talking about and his type wouldnt be considered top players in the modern era. Different profile, different attributes needed today and Souness hasn’t got the eye for it
Oh I don’t disagree.

His view of football when he started managing Liverpool in 1991, two years before Keane even started playing for us, was completely cockeyed. Which was why he took an axe to them and wrecked them for years to come :drool:

Strootman's Finger

He chose Maguire over Martinez for his team of the week, last I checked, Maguire was a United player. And I am sorry, if you watched that game, and claim Maguire played better than Martinez there is no other explaination... or he didn't watch the game, just randomly picked Maguire, but that still suggests a preference of English over non English.

I literally never use words like xenophobic or racist, I think they are used wrong 99% of the time, I just can't see any other explanation, because it's not opinion, it's an objective fact Martinez played better than Maguire in that game.

Posh Red

He does seem to have a tendency to favour British managers and sometimes players, and voted for Brexit (for what it’s worth).

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

It's your trademark English bias. Every English pundit is like that. They hype English players, praise them like they're the second coming of jesus but when they're absolute shit they completely ignore any sort of criticism towards them. Wish they'd go as hard on them as they go with the praise when they play well.

Bondi77

I'm just trying to re-address the balance. Reading this forum you'd think the guy was a Jonjo Shelvey level player and Zouma'd his cat!
The guy was a skilful player but he needed really good players around him in midfield to do his defending for him otherwise he was not really effective.
His attitude at Utd stunk the place out at times and that is why he is not remembered well at Utd.
All as simple as that....in my eyes anyway.

Remember the geese

The guy was a skilful player but he needed really good players around him in midfield to do his defending for him otherwise he was not really effective.
His attitude at Utd stunk the place out at times and that is why he is not remembered well at Utd.
All as simple as that....in my eyes anyway.
Yeah, he was at the club during a pretty poor time. In another life, under a proper coach, who knows what could have been. It's all ifs and buts. I think he could have been seen very differently, though he isn't blameless at all.

90 + 5min

Yeah, he was at the club during a pretty poor time. In another life, under a proper coach, who knows what could have been. It's all ifs and buts. I think he could have been seen very differently, though he isn't blameless at all.
Proper coach?

He worked under few very good managers and showed 1/10 games some kind of talent. Rest of the time, he was Shelvey level.

He's wrong about everything concerning us. His opinion on things related to Utd is worthless, and him having been a good player decades ago doesn't change that.
He is not wrong about everything concerning us. You might not like his opinion. But he got good points. Not always. But often.

He is actually positive towards our club and often talk how great, big and all that we are. So I don't see him as anti ManUtd pundit.