Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Flexdegea

He’s been brought in to work with this expensive squad, there is no rebuild needed. It’s either work with this or he’s gone

Will thats what I think too, but the new owner made such a balls up of the transfer window and then sacking tuchel, he might be daft enough to go raid more players of Brighton.

lex talionis

Sacking Tuchel was stupid but sacking Potter in the same season would be even more foolish
Agreed. I can't see Chelsea going down this road in the same season. But if they're off to a wobbly start in next season, Potter will be taken to the shed end for a tar and feather job.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Can he really be sacked? He is boehly’s man afterall. Surely sacking him wouldn’t be on his mind even if they finish 6th. It would make him look like a fool after sacking tuchel for Potter.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Can he really be sacked? He is boehly’s man afterall. Surely sacking him wouldn’t be on his mind even if they finish 6th. It would make him look like a fool after sacking tuchel for Potter.
I doubt they would have sacked Tuchel if he was cooperative with the owners. Tuchel wanted to be left alone to do his own thing like he was doing under Marina and Roman. Boehly gets brought up a lot because he is very hands on with the team. It is the same owners of the Dodgers that make these decisions with him. Their track record there is to stay with a manager through lean times to get to successful times. No doubt that has its limits.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Probably, and as current European Champions it lends even more weight to Haaland and Raiola already having a deal agreed a long time ago with City, a deal even Roman couldn’t compete with.
We’ll find out in a leak 5 years down the line that Haaland’s agent fee was the biggest in history, as was his own signing on fee and his offshore wage with make peoples eyes water.
Isn't that already the case? Haaland's fee almost doubles when you include the agent fees if I remember correctly, with both his father and Raiola (or his agency anyway) getting huge agent fees.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
He’s been brought in to work with this expensive squad, there is no rebuild needed. It’s either work with this or he’s gone
Our midfield is definitely in need of a rebuild though.

Kante is on his last legs and Jorginho has been on a bit of a decline as well, both players also have their contracts up next summer and I don't think either of them will get extended. Then we have the loanee Zakaria who was only really brought in as an emergency option for the congested season and is not someone the club are planning for the future with. Kovacic is quality but has been quite injury prone for years and the question remains is he a player we can fully rely on over a long season? Loftus-Cheek has shown he's a decent squad option to have but as much as I like the lad I don't think he's good enough to be a regular starter in a team aiming for the top places.

Out of Kante, Jorginho, Zakaria, Kovacic and RLC at the moment I would only expect the last two to still be at the club next season and even then RLC should not be in a key role.

As for other areas Silva needs replacing next year, Azpi should have been let go and replaced this year already and up front Aubameyang at his age is only a short term fix and hasn't been good enough anyway. Pulisic and Ziyech have been underperforming under three different managers so far and both will probably get sold as soon as we can find a buyer, which should be getting easier with their contracts running down. I would also go as far as saying Havertz should be sold next year too if we can find a buyer for a decent enough value.

Maybe filling all of those positions within a year is not realistic but getting a new CB, a decent backup for James, a couple of starting quality midfielders and a couple new forwards should be the starting point going into the next few transfer windows. Whether that qualifies as a 'rebuild' or not is down to your interpretation of the word but those are all positions we definitely need to fill sooner rather than later.

poleglass red

Our midfield is definitely in need of a rebuild though.

Kante is on his last legs and Jorginho has been on a bit of a decline as well, both players also have their contracts up next summer and I don't think either of them will get extended. Then we have the loanee Zakaria who was only really brought in as an emergency option for the congested season and is not someone the club are planning for the future with. Kovacic is quality but has been quite injury prone for years and the question remains is he a player we can fully rely on over a long season? Loftus-Cheek has shown he's a decent squad option to have but as much as I like the lad I don't think he's good enough to be a regular starter in a team aiming for the top places.

Out of Kante, Jorginho, Zakaria, Kovacic and RLC at the moment I would only expect the last two to still be at the club next season and even then RLC should not be in a key role.

As for other areas Silva needs replacing next year, Azpi should have been let go and replaced this year already and up front Aubameyang at his age is only a short term fix and hasn't been good enough anyway. Pulisic and Ziyech have been underperforming under three different managers so far and both will probably get sold as soon as we can find a buyer, which should be getting easier with their contracts running down. I would also go as far as saying Havertz should be sold next year too if we can find a buyer for a decent enough value.

Maybe filling all of those positions within a year is not realistic but getting a new CB, a decent backup for James, a couple of starting quality midfielders and a couple new forwards should be the starting point going into the next few transfer windows. Whether that qualifies as a 'rebuild' or not is down to your interpretation of the word but those are all positions we definitely need to fill sooner rather than later.

100% it's a rebuild, basically the spine of the team needs replacing as you point out. I'd even through in the keeper, as he looks so uncomfortable trying to play out from the back, which is the style Potter wants to play, although Kepa Arrizabalaga might long term take that role back.That rebuild is to get back into the top 4 discussion. Potter has a style he implements and it won't be an overnight transformation.Chelsea still aren't playing football that blows you away yet, and recent results to v us, Brighton and Arsenal haven't been good. The top 4 we thought preseason was City, Liverpool and 2 others. That landscape has changed a bit, Liverpool aren't looking as sure, and now we have Newcastle in the mix as well.I like Potter, but like ETH, he has to be given time and backed in the transfer market over successive windows to get their stamp on the team.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
100% it's a rebuild, basically the spine of the team needs replacing as you point out. I'd even through in the keeper, as he looks so uncomfortable trying to play out from the back, which is the style Potter wants to play, although Kepa Arrizabalaga might long term take that role back.
Kepa already seems to be Potter's choice for number one keeper. He started the first 10 games into Potter's reign and Mendy only got to play again once Kepa got injured against Brighton. Based on their performances this season I think it's pretty safe to say Kepa will very likely continue as the starting keeper once the season starts up again after the World Cup.

But yeah I don't think Potter fancies Mendy because of his poor ability on the ball. Even under Lampard and Tuchel that was Mendy's biggest weakness, along with saving penalties, and with Potter's play style his flaws will definitely get exposed even more. Early into his Chelsea career he more than made up for his weaknesses on the ball with some great shot stopping and commanding of the area but he's not been good at those either for a while now and he was well on his way to being dropped even before Tuchel's sacking. He also happened to be injured when Potter started as the manager so the timing was very convenient for Kepa to be given the nod.

At the moment I don't think the goalie situation is going to be a big priority for next summer and there are many more areas in the squad that need addressing before that but depending on how the current GKs do for the remainder of the season and then next season it might be a topic for discussion in 2024? Kepa and Mendy contracts are both up in 2025 so I think decisions will have to be made eventually whether to extend either of them or look for someone else to fill the role but right now there's no real urgency about it.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
They didn’t fire Tuchel due to results, and for the same reason, they won’t fire Potter in a knee jerk for results, especially after the near injury apocalypse we’ve endured to date this season. We just recently announced we would be VERY active in the January window. I expect us to sign 3 players in January, not counting Nkunku who is a pre signing for Summer. We will get proper RB cover.

Our executive group has already made announcements related to this. They are going to keep building, be patient, and keep building.

Chelsea fans who actually enjoyed the knee jerk quick triggers of the past will need to adapt their expectations

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Wouldn't surprise me if he's sacked during the WC, can't recall a Chelsea manager who's ever survived form like this

Zen

If Mike Bassett taught me anything (and it actually taught me loads) - it's that the Christmas tree doesn't work. Potter must of missed that film.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
he will stay and get heavily backed in January , but pressure will increase tenfold .

cyberman

What would worry me is that there isn’t a semblance of a game plan out there. I know it’s tough implementing your style but he’s been there long enough that they should at least be attempting it.

Red00012

He doesn’t seem to know his best formation never mind his best 11. Some of his team selections are strange to say the least

FujiVice

Is Potter to Everton the most obvious thing in the world in the next month?

They didn’t fire Tuchel due to results, and for the same reason, they won’t fire Potter in a knee jerk for results, especially after the near injury apocalypse we’ve endured to date this season. We just recently announced we would be VERY active in the January window. I expect us to sign 3 players in January, not counting Nkunku who is a pre signing for Summer. We will get proper RB cover.

Our executive group has already made announcements related to this. They are going to keep building, be patient, and keep building.

Chelsea fans who actually enjoyed the knee jerk quick triggers of the past will need to adapt their expectations
You have absolutely no idea if this is true man :lol:

Glorio

What would worry me is that there isn’t a semblance of a game plan out there. I know it’s tough implementing your style but he’s been there long enough that they should at least be attempting it.
Difficult if you don't have the right players for your preferred system to be fair

acid_fuji

The board can say that that are backing him but if the loses will start to pile up he will be most likely gone. At club like this pressure is much bigger than at Brighton.

It’s nice to see though that this actually shows that the “premier league proven manager” statement is bull shit.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He doesn’t seem to know his best formation never mind his best 11. Some of his team selections are strange to say the least
Doesn't help their squad is absolutely awful

The only Chelsea players who would make our XI are the permainjured FB's James and Chilwell (and this one is debatable)

phelans shorts

Difficult if you don't have the right players for your preferred system to be fair
I never get this complaint. Sure you might not hit the heights but you HAVE to be adept enough to make the best you can of what you do have while you transition and not just do a Sideshow Bob rake act while you get the right players for your preferences.

cyberman

Are they any worse than Brightons players? There’s around 7/8 players we were all 100 percent sure would fail miserably at Ten Hag ball yet here we are.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I never get this complaint. Sure you might not hit the heights but you HAVE to be adept enough to make the best you can of what you do have while you transition and not just do a Sideshow Bob rake act while you get the right players for your preferences.
Can already see people making a mountain out of a molehill of United not having Dalot tomorrow, if things don’t go our way.