Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Flexdegea

It is though? Unless you're living in a fantasy world where 5th is worse than 8th.

Not in the grand scheme of what it entails.

They also flapped the champions League finish. It certainly wouldn't be bigged up at any other club, except arsenal is what I'm trying to say here.

On paper I guess it's improvement, but it's 5th, it's no where.

roseguy64

It was a rushed takeover. I can’t speak for what BlueLion says. I’m just saying Newcastle had a really long time to get their structure in order whereas Chelsea are basically trying to do it in real time while a transfer window was ongoing and we lost crucial players who needed immediate replacements.
Pretty sure Newcastle's first transfer window they leaned on Howe as they didn't have a DoF in place. They even had one of the old hierarchy stay on a bit to help them through it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not in the grand scheme of what it entails.

They also flapped the champions League finish. It certainly wouldn't be bigged up at any other club, except arsenal is what I'm trying to say here.

On paper I guess it's improvement, but it's 5th, it's no where.
It's not being bigged up, it's just a showcase that Arteta has improved Arsenal from where they were to now. Not every year has to have a trophy to indicate improvement of a club. Not every year has to contain a title to constitute improvement. Arteta started poorly, but has now shown that he's improved Arsenal from where they were to now and it took time. Perhaps Potter will, perhaps he won't but Chelsea can look at Arsenal as a project and see that despite a rough start it can get better.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Arsenal and Chelsea aren't easily comparable.

The logic of hiring Arteta is that Arsenal thought he was a future great manager, potentially better than any of the people they could get. The potential greatness was worth the risk.

But Chelsea can probably just go and hire a great manager. They're recent CL winners and have money, they are in a different scenario than Arsenal.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It’s a hijack . A hijack is trying to get in front of a near done deal.
Richarlison is a prime example.
Hazard is another example. Nowhere near the deal and suddenly in after winning the CL.

cyberman

Hazard is another example. Nowhere near the deal and suddenly in after winning the CL.
Robben, fecking Mikel was holding our shirt. Morata had his hair dyed red for his United unveiling
They have a history, let’s just say that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Robben, fecking Mikel was holding our shirt. Morata had his hair dyed red for his United unveiling
Morata was our second choice. Woodward was using the tactic of negotiating with multiple targets and completing them in priority order back then and when we signed Lukaku we dropped our interest in Morata.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Sorry what? We has a clear interest in him and Joe Cole was at Lillie the season before trying to convince him to join us.

It "accelerating" after the UCL win was probably down to the fact we suddenly had UCL football to offer (which we didn't had we lost the final).

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Sorry what? We has a clear interest in him and Joe Cole was at Lillie the season before trying to convince him to join us.

It "accelerating" after the UCL win was probably down to the fact we suddenly had UCL football to offer (which we didn't had we lost the final).
But he wasn't joining you until you won and then you just paid up all the agent fees etc.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
But he wasn't joining you until you won and then you just paid up all the agent fees etc.
Yes but we didn't have no interest and suddenly hijack it, we had a long standing interest which we were always going to pounce on if we got encouragement from his end.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
How can anyone forget that bizzare Mikel story. :lol:
There’s a reason his agent went to jail and his club had to pay Chelsea back. Of all the players we “stole” you can’t list Mikel because the facts link United to what was essentially trafficking.

Pintu

It is though? Unless you're living in a fantasy world where 5th is worse than 8th.
I think 8th winning an FA Cup is better than 5th...

They weren't 8th the years before Arteta... Over the 5/10 years prior to Arteta they'd only missed the top 5 once. That happened in 17/18 in Wenger's last season (They won the FA Cup that year). This was also the only time in 10 years that they'd failed to reach 70 points. Their typical finish was 3d or 4th with at least 75 points.

In Arteta's years they still haven't had a 70 points season (This will be it finally)... He actually managed to get them to 56 one season and 61 the other, finishing 8th each time (Worst points total and worst ranking since Stewart Houston in 95).

Last year he had a Europe free season and that certainly helped him work his tactics... But they still lost the 4th spot to Spurs.

bringbackbebe

I think 8th winning an FA Cup is better than 5th...

They weren't 8th the years before Arteta... Over the 5/10 years prior to Arteta they'd only missed the top 5 once. That happened in 17/18 in Wenger's last season (They won the FA Cup that year). This was also the only time in 10 years that they'd failed to reach 70 points. Their typical finish was 3d or 4th with at least 75 points.

In Arteta's years they still haven't had a 70 points season (This will be it finally)... He actually managed to get them to 56 one season and 61 the other, finishing 8th each time (Worst points total and worst ranking since Stewart Houston in 95).

Last year he had a Europe free season and that certainly helped him work his tactics... But they still lost the 4th spot to Spurs.
That's looking at a very shallow end of the picture. You could clearly see where Arsenal were heading. They had a clearly defined style of play & sold bright young players on a project. Arteta had board buy-in because of his vision. Results took time to come but look at them now.

Chelsea on the other hand are where Arsenal were around 2017 or probably worse off. No clear identity, aged players, under performing "stars", forwards who can't score, manager who has no fan backing, board which seems clueless and bids for every player linked to a rival club. I don't see them getting out of this mess unless Potter gets a free hand for the next 3 years to start a project similar to Arteta's.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Bizarre to mention Morata in any 'hijacking' context.

In the summer of 2017 we were all over Lukaku as our first choice target to replace Costa and everyone thought a deal was imminent with just the transfer fee to sort out between clubs. United on the other hand were after Morata, only for you to drop your interest in him at the last minute and go after Lukaku instead, leaving us in the dust and having to look for alternatives and in the end we landed on Morata.

Conte was really pissed he couldn't get Lukaku. If anyone was the hijacker that summer it was United with Lukaku, not Chelsea with Morata. :lol:

I feel both clubs would have been better off with their initial targets.

Flexdegea

That's looking at a very shallow end of the picture. You could clearly see where Arsenal were heading. They had a clearly defined style of play & sold bright young players on a project. Arteta had board buy-in because of his vision. Results took time to come but look at them now.

Chelsea on the other hand are where Arsenal were around 2017 or probably worse off. No clear identity, aged players, under performing "stars", forwards who can't score, manager who has no fan backing, board which seems clueless and bids for every player linked to a rival club. I don't see them getting out of this mess unless Potter gets a free hand for the next 3 years to start a project similar to Arteta's.

That is nonsense, you couldn't see this at all. I'd say last season in a few spurts over the season you could see how they wanted to play. But to claim even the season they won the FA cup, and the following season as you could see it what they where trying to do is total nonsense.

They won the FA cup with a style not even close to now. I remember they lost 5/6 (was some mad form??) home games was it in a row the following season, they where shambolic on the pitch. Their was no signs of something about to break.

Things weirdly turned for him when he actually was forced to play the kids around that period. Saliba another example of a player he didn't fancy, and now has landed on him with the teams on the up wards.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I WANDer what made him take that move. It was definitely the RON move for him, he just doesn’t have the MAGIC for it with his DRACOnian tactics. It doesn’t seem to matter what he does it’s ALBUSted. They’re probably going to get HAGRID of him soon if they’re SIRIUS about getting Top 4.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There’s a reason his agent went to jail and his club had to pay Chelsea back. Of all the players we “stole” you can’t list Mikel because the facts link United to what was essentially trafficking.
Didn't you get forced to pay us 20m or so in a fee though?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think they've been functioning quite well tonight. If they had all their best players fit they wouldn't be losing.

USREDEVIL

I WANDer what made him take that move. It was definitely the RON move for him, he just doesn’t have the MAGIC for it with his DRACOnian tactics. It doesn’t seem to matter what he does it’s ALBUSted. They’re probably going to get HAGRID of him soon if they’re SIRIUS about getting Top 4.
notbad.com

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah obviously. It's just that the point you were making was that they've been functioning quite well tonight, I was disagreeing based on the defence looking shaky.
Attacking wise yeah, they've been good and functioning as you'd expect a Potter team to.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Can’t catch a break…..Felix comes in, looks bright….gets a straight red :lol: