Greatest British Sportsman/woman

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Eddie the Eagle

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Andy Murray.

Multiple Grand Slam winner
Multiple Olympic Golds
A high of #1 in the World

All in by far the strongest era of tennis in which Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are 1, 2 and 3 on the all time list.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Andy Murray.

Multiple Olympic Golds

All in by far the strongest era of tennis in which Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are 1, 2 and 3 on the all time list.
Good argument for Murray there

Phil Taylor is also a worlds best with a record hard to beat, but in a lesser regarded sport, even a sport being questioned.

I’d find it hard to give it a footballer etc in such a team sport.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Hamilton takes the crown now.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Good argument for Murray there

Phil Taylor is also a worlds best with a record hard to beat, but in a lesser regarded sport, even a sport being questioned.

I’d find it hard to give it a footballer etc in such a team sport.
I'd happily give it Ronaldo if he were British.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Murray is a good shout because you have to go back quite a number of years to find a british male/female grand slam winner. Phil Taylor/Hamilton are shouts due to their respective dominance in their sports but there are multiple british champions within their sports.

Dante

Average bang
George Best or Lewis Hamilton. I'm sure there are a few obvious ones I'm missing.

Britain is a major sporting sporting country which has produced numerous world bests. So for somebody to be the greatest British sports person of all time they have to be two things:

1. In the discussion for the greatest of all time in their particular sport
2. Competed in a major world sport

Andy Murray doesn't fulfil condition 1. Phil Taylor doesn't fulfil condition 2.

Daley Thompson and Steve Redgrave are on the cusp of condition 2 but don't quite make it for me.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Andy Murray.

Multiple Olympic Golds

Genuine question here. He was a #1 for about 9 months and I doubt that there is any argument against the fact that at least three of his contemporaries were better than him at tennis. Does Britain not have even 1 sportsman who was clearly the best at what he does for a significant amount of time as well as being a genuine GOAT contender in his sport?

I'm not trying to diminish Murray by the way, fair fecks to him for even challenging the big trio, just found it a bit weird.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Phil Taylor
Genuine question here. He was a #1 for about 9 months and I doubt that there is any argument against the fact that at least three of his contemporaries were better than him at tennis. Does Britain not have even 1 sportsman who was clearly the best at what he does for a significant amount of time as well as being a genuine GOAT contender in his sport?

I'm not trying to diminish Murray by the way, fair fecks to him for even challenging the big trio, just found it a bit weird.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Lennox Lewis who dominated a great era of heavyweight boxing, he avenged his two defeats and retired as undisputed champion.

poleglass red

difficult question without a real definitive answer. I'd throw Calzaghe into the mix, was never a fan of the man or his boxing style personally, but you can't argue with his record. Superb record.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Phil Taylor and Stephen Hendry were both absolutely dominant for prolonged periods but you can argue against darts and snooker even being sports. Ronnie O'Sullivan would be a shout too. I think it's generally accepted he's the best to ever pick up a snooker cue but he's never been as dominant as he should be or as Hendry was in the 90's largely due to his temperament but if you're simply looking for a British sportsperson who has clearly been the best in the world/best ever at what they do then he's the obvious answer.

We're not that great at sports.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Hendry possibly but Ronnie is still winning and playing some of his best snooker now when the game is at its highest ever popularity(Its massive in China)
That is true. For me it’s O’ Sullivan as I’m a snooker fan but in general it’s hard to compare snooker to athletics to tennis to autosport of course. O’ Sullivan is the most mesmerizing for me.

Tarrou

Joe Calzaghe is worth a mention, one of the few boxers to retire undefeated

I’d probably say Hamilton and if/when he wins number eight it will be clear for me

Carolina Red

Staff

Classical Mechanic

Phil Taylor and Stephen Hendry were both absolutely dominant for prolonged periods but you can argue against darts and snooker even being sports. Ronnie O'Sullivan would be a shout too. I think it's generally accepted he's the best to ever pick up a snooker cue but he's never been as dominant as he should be or as Hendry was in the 90's largely due to his temperament but if you're simply looking for a British sportsperson who has clearly been the best in the world/best ever at what they do then he's the obvious answer.

We're not that great at sports.
Loads of British sports stars have clearly been the best in the world for a significant period of time.

Lennox Lewis
Lewis Hamilton
Chris Froome
Seb Coe
Nick Faldo
Mo Farah
Steve Redgrave

Im sure there are many more.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Of the names getting mentioned that I recognize I’d take Hamilton or Faldo, certainly over Murray at least.

stepic

Redgrave or Hoy. Definitely not Hamilton, given, as already discussed in the other thread, the importance of engineering in his sport.