Greatest failing upwards in football?

manutddjw

Everton sacked Ancelotti and went to Madrid and is likely going to win a champions league.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't think he was sacked he just left for Madrid
I don't think Madrid hired him based on his Everton stint

I love this appointment because I've been saying for years that manager progression is not linear at all.

Kompany turning Burnley to Stoke, just to keep them up (it wouldn't have worked but let's say it did) would have disqualified him for the Bayern job, believe it or not.

AfonsoAlves

Martinez at Wigan was bizarre.

There were times when they were the scrappy relegation candidates that everyone expected them to be:

Then during the last 7-10 games of the season, for some inexplicable reason, despite being 8pts from safety, they would play like prime Real Madrid and just win games with beautiful football and end up being safe.

Until one year it just didn't work.

It made no sense.

thisisnottaken1

Martinez at Wigan was bizarre.

There were times when they were the scrappy relegation candidates that everyone expected them to be:

Then during the last 7-10 games of the season, for some inexplicable reason, despite being 8pts from safety, they would play like prime Real Madrid and just win games with beautiful football and end up being safe.

Until one year it just didn't work.

It made no sense.
They were regularly on the end of some absolute bollockings as well. In the 2009-10 season, we beat them 5-0 twice, and Chelsea beat them 8-0 on the final day.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
That is probably the closest you will get to this Kompany hiring. Great player with very little managerial hired by a big club who has no association with said player but the player have an association to a style of play the club want to emulate.

Worked out well for Barca I suppose
Rijkaard's is different for me as he'd already managed Holland at Euro 2000. And fairly successfully too, might've won the thing had they had a competent penalty taker in their squad.

Nole

Martínez got Wigan relegated then got the Everton job then Belgium
And now manage Portugal despite many thinking he isn't good enough for Belgium, always being criticized for failing short of Belgium's expectations. He reminds me of one of those corporates who come into work and you wonder what do they even do but keep getting promoted. I guess he is a people person and very good with words.

JogaBonitoRooney

Joselu, Paulinho from China to Barca, Kevin Prince Boateng, Choupo-Moting, when Torres turned rubbish after injury he immediately won the world cup, then CL, then Euro

tomaldinho1

Martínez got Wigan relegated then got the Everton job then Belgium
He did win the FA cup with Wigan so it has at least a bit more sense to it. Knocked out Everton and beat City in the final.

Gattuso to AC Milan maybe, a very poor record bouncing between teams in Serie B/Lega Pro (even finishing bottom of Lega Pro with Pisa) and then gets AC Milan after some coaching there.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Clarence Seedorf earned his move to Real Madrid after a flop season at Sampdoria and his Milan move after being very inconsistent at Inter. You can easily argue that's just because clubs saw the potential was there, but plenty of other talented players that ended up having far less chances at elite clubs must have thought this guy's agent had something on someone as they watched him job around with no consequences for bad seasons.