Grenfell Tower Fire | 14th June 2017

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
feck. A girl I know from work circles is one of the missing. She lived on the 19th floor, this is very real, she's such a nice person. :(
Shit. I'm so sorry, obviously we're all hoping for the best.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Donate money?

Donate blood?

There is no fecking fixing this.

Hundreds of families wiped out. So angry

Baxter

feck. After reading the last few posts on this. A three figure death toll does seem likely. What a waste of life. :(

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
12 fatalities so far. Obviously tragic, but when you consider how many people live in that tower block, it seems very low.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Someone asked why something can't be erected on the ground for people to jump on to. It sounds simple enough...is there any reason they can't do something like this?

diarm

feck. A girl I know from work circles is one of the missing. She lived on the 19th floor, this is very real, she's such a nice person. :(
Shit I'm sorry to hear that mate. Fingers crossed she was away or at worst, was taken to hospital for a minor issue and hasn't checked in yet.

rcoobc

Someone asked why something can't be erected on the ground for people to jump on to. It sounds simple enough...is there any reason they can't do something like this?
Just my guess, but

The outside of the building was on fire

24 stories is a long way to fall onto something. Probably about the equivalent to a 100 mph crash (my calculation). How big would the cushion have to be?

Last edited:

Fergies Gum

12 fatalities so far. Obviously tragic, but when you consider how many people live in that tower block, it seems very low.
Some reporting the number of missing is in the hundreds which is horrific.

The fear now is a lot of those have perished as people will have managed to make contact by now with loved ones if they escaped or had to get checked out at hospital.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
When they filmed the recent Assasin Creed movie a stuntman jumped from 125 feet. Into a massive airbag designed to deflate on impact (i.e. good for only one jump) This was the highest jump of that kind by any stuntman in 35 years. 125 feet is approximately 11 stories. Grenfell Tower was 24 stories high.

Even if they built some kind of smaller, permanent padding or net designed to catch people from the bottom quarter of the tower you're creating a horrendous health and safety nightmare when kids/drunks decide to try to test it out for the craic and end up breaking their necks.

Basically, it's a terrible idea. You do sometimes get netting around very tall buildings but that makes no pretence at saving jumpers lives. It's for stopping them killing anyone they land on down below.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Awful day for London, for Britain, and for anybody with a shred of compassion.

RIP to those lost, prayers for the families x

Justin

When they filmed the recent Assasin Creed movie a stuntman jumped from 125 feet. Into a massive airbag designed to deflate on impact (i.e. good for only one jump) This was the highest jump of that kind by any stuntman in 35 years. 125 feet is approximately 11 stories. Grenfell Tower was 24 stories high.

Even if they built some kind of smaller, permanent padding or net designed to catch people from the bottom quarter of the tower you're creating a horrendous health and safety nightmare when kids/drunks decide to try to test it out for the craic and end up breaking their necks.

Basically, it's a terrible idea. You do sometimes get netting around very tall buildings but that makes no pretence at saving jumpers lives. It's for stopping them killing anyone they land on down below.
Obviously you can't create something on the spot but there are rescue cushions out there that are rated for up to a height 20 stories. Whether it can be deployed properly in this case is a different matter.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Obviously you can't create something on the spot but there are rescue cushions out there that are rated for up to a height 20 stories. Whether it can be deployed properly in this case is a different matter.
Aye, fair enough. I think the idea was more about some sort of permanent structure though. Which is obviously a non-starter. To be fair to @Livvie , she didn't suggest that. I was mainly thinking back to the original comment she referred to, from @Striker10.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
How many people are unaccounted for? Seen comments in here saying 200 could be dead but haven't seen anything like that in the media?

rcoobc

Song doesn't really apply to this case, but maybe the lyric does
Maybe this is more appropriate.
How many people are unaccounted for? Seen comments in here saying 200 could be dead but haven't seen anything like that in the media?
The BBC 10pm news seemed to show pages and pages of missing. But I don't think there is any official number right now

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/14/missing-victims-grenfell-tower-fire

Fergies Gum

Police have arrested someone for posting pictures of a victim on social media.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I've just bought a 10th floor unit. I think I'll be buying abseiling gear just in case.

Fergies Gum

That is an offence?
From the Guardian

Scotland Yard says a 43-year-old man has been arrested over allegations he posted pictures of a Grenfell Tower victim on social media.

Images were posted of what appear to be a partially-covered body. The Metropolitan Police said a man was arrested on suspicion of sending malicious communications and obstructing a coroner. Officers confirmed the arrest relates to the fire at Grenfell Tower and the man is in custody at a west London police station.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ondon-apartment-block-white-city-latimer-road

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Even if it turns out previously proposed legislation wouldn't have stopped this fire it's pretty obvious that the laws and enforcement of laws on rental and social housing is pretty substandard. Part of the reason is that it's just impossible to achieve perfect safety, but there's also a clear conflict of interest when about a third of MPs in the last parliament were landlords.

I think most of us rent, or have rented in the past, and between us we'll have countless complaints.
Sorry to hear that & agree if you want to say that's part of the stupidity too & not right in some ways & so on. What we do have though is different scenarios where the common factor is Landlords taking the piss. Meanwhile, in Parliament they vote against it being compulsory for Landlord's to provide habitable lets. (that legislation might have got 'talked out' to be strictly accurate)

All they care about giving proper consideration to is the opportunity for profit, even if it only exists on paper, in the accounts.
Here's an article by the Independent on the Bill (Fitness for Human Habitation Bill 2015-16)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...or-human-habitation-unnecessary-a6696931.html

Landlord Philip Davies MP: “Landlords appear to be an easy target for the Left in this country,”

“The overwhelming majority of landlords, and I will put myself in this category, want to do the right thing and wouldn’t ever dream of renting out a property that isn’t in a fit state to be rented out and want to comply with every regulation that’s introduced.

“But being in that situation I can tell my honourable friend that it is very difficult to keep tabs on all the things that are expected of you.”
Philip Davies filibustered the bill: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...es-filibuster-domestic-violence-a7479266.html

And names of the 72 Landlords who rejected it: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-homes-fit-for-human-habitation-a6809691.html

Baxter

I read that he actually opened a body bag to take a photo of the victim. It was outside the building and he said he wanted to identify the remains.

dbs235

Wish I hadn't have looked at a list of the missing. I'd advise against it for others, it's haunting.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I've just bought a 10th floor unit. I think I'll be buying abseiling gear just in case.
Gas masks, oxygen tanks and perhaps some other shit I can't think of might be handy as well.

Hire a private fire service, feck knows, we've nothing else left.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I read that he actually opened a body bag to take a photo of the victim. It was outside the building and he said he wanted to identify the remains.
Thus the charge relating to a coroner's inquiry I guess.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Gas masks, oxygen tanks and perhaps some other shit I can't think of might be handy as well.

Hire a private fire service, feck knows, we've nothing else left.
It is brand new by a quality developer including a centralised alarm and sprinkler system, and not public housing, so I'm thinking the risks are much lower.

Frank Grimes

Surprised when looking at my Twitter yesterday that people weren't realising the full gravity of this catastrophe. There is going to be so many fatalities, such an awful waste of life. The sheer horror these people faced, some trapped for hours is so disturbing to even think about.